EIS 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Same here, ISHQ. And it is now Friday 6:20 pm in Atlanta. So I guess we will have another weekend with no news. Still, there is hope! :)

Last weekend people got emails on a Sunday.....the mental agony continues.....

Members don't see this ad.

I'm still waiting for confirmation on my interview dates. EIS must be overwhelmed with applications since response time has been so delayed.

Last edited:
Even I'm still waiting for confirmation on my interview dates. I really hope I don't have to wait until Monday to find out. EIS must be overwhelmed with applications since response time has been so delayed.

Good Luck, i can understand the stress and uncertainty ..but its a test of patience ...have a wonderful weekend.

Members don't see this ad :)
Flights from my area to Atlanta just shot up to $900, an increase of $200 in the last day while waiting (and still waiting) for my interview date to be confirmed. :(

Thank you JJ_Epi and mlkmnsgrl for sharing that. I'm happy to hear that EIS might still be an option for me. In the meantime, we continue to wait! Best of luck to those who will interview soon :)

I agree with JJ_epi. They did mention specifically that you can always choose whether or not to accept a detail. We were kind of thinking the same thing as far as making a major contribution on the logistics side in Atlanta (especially if that's where we're located so it's not a travel assignment). Especially since he has no medical background whatsoever...but who knows! Maybe they'll need exactly what he has and he'll decide he wants to go.

All the best with your sweet baby boy!
RFH,

I interviewed today and they made it clear no one had to go to west Africa, one of the current eis officers is fulfilling her portion by working in the emergency operations center here in Atlanta. I spoke with many eis officers with families today some who were pregnant during the application process as well. While I admire your ability to do what is best for your family I wanted to let you know that if your only reasoning is Africa that you should ask them because it doesn't seem like that is required at all.

Congratulations though on your coming bundle of joy!

Flights from my area to Atlanta just shot up to $900, an increase of $200 in the last day while waiting (and still waiting) for my interview date to be confirmed. :(

Oh my gosh, that's horrific! I'm so sorry! This is really messing with peoples' lives!

Try Greenville SC, its like a 2 hr drive if its cheaper...

Hello, I also applied to the EIS program and have recently found this thread to be very helpful - thank you all.
I'm an international applicant from Canada who has also not received either a rejection or an invite to interview; my application page still says "under review". I'm guessing that my chances of being offered an interview now are quite low, but I am still trying to be optimistic. Although, I am also worried about the cost of travelling on short notice.

Are there other international applicants who are still waiting to hear back? I'm wondering if maybe they are holding on to the international pool and/or maybe they will have different interviewing dates for international applicants?? I know when I had emailed the CDC EIS program early on I had asked about the competition for different groups and the person who replied did say that international applicants only compete with other international applicants.

We know one Canadian citizen who just finished up her time in EIS. She's in Africa right now, but she was located in Cincinnati Ohio at NIOSH. Never even thought to ask her about differences in her interview experience. That's really interesting that you're in your own applicant pool. From the past conference reports, it looks like about 15% of officers each year are international, so depending on the number of international applicants, it seems like you've got better odds.

Does anyone know if there are other target demographics? 15%, 40% non-MD, others that are considered official? We know about 75% of EISOs are women, generally, but I don't know if that's an actual target (in which case my husband's chance drops significantly) or if it's a natural product of the applicant demographics.

Btw, his application status has now changed to say the EIS selection committee will meet in early December. You will be notified of their decision by January 1st. So there's the target date for those of us who interviewed...let the waiting begin again...

We know one Canadian citizen who just finished up her time in EIS. She's in Africa right now, but she was located in Cincinnati Ohio at NIOSH. Never even thought to ask her about differences in her interview experience. That's really interesting that you're in your own applicant pool. From the past conference reports, it looks like about 15% of officers each year are international, so depending on the number of international applicants, it seems like you've got better odds.

Does anyone know if there are other target demographics? 15%, 40% non-MD, others that are considered official? We know about 75% of EISOs are women, generally, but I don't know if that's an actual target (in which case my husband's chance drops significantly) or if it's a natural product of the applicant demographics.

Btw, his application status has now changed to say the EIS selection committee will meet in early December. You will be notified of their decision by January 1st. So there's the target date for those of us who interviewed...let the waiting begin again...

I had emailed quite a few questions to figure out the competition amongst different pools of applicants. I am a Registered Nurse with a MSc in Epidemiology and I have seen that in prior EIS admissions include around 1-2 RNs per year. I wasn't sure if that was because they generally do not admit RNs to the program OR if it is because not very many RNs apply.

The person who responded to my email said that approximately 10 international applicants are selected out of the approximately 300 that apply (3.33% chance of being selected). Do you or does anyone know how many domestic applicants there typically are? I would have thought that it was more competitive than the domestic pool but I'm not really sure how many domestic applicants typically apply each year.

Also, I was told that I would be competing with internationals regardless of specialty. I gathered that meant that there aren't any target demographics or qualifications they are looking for but more a combined package of skills and experiences (provided you meet the minimum qualifications). I made the decision to apply based on that statement so I hope it is true!

I had emailed quite a few questions to figure out the competition amongst different pools of applicants. I am a Registered Nurse with a MSc in Epidemiology and I have seen that in prior EIS admissions include around 1-2 RNs per year. I wasn't sure if that was because they generally do not admit RNs to the program OR if it is because not very many RNs apply.

The person who responded to my email said that approximately 10 international applicants are selected out of the approximately 300 that apply (3.33% chance of being selected). Do you or does anyone know how many domestic applicants there typically are? I would have thought that it was more competitive than the domestic pool but I'm not really sure how many domestic applicants typically apply each year.

Also, I was told that I would be competing with internationals regardless of specialty. I gathered that meant that there aren't any target demographics or qualifications they are looking for but more a combined package of skills and experiences (provided you meet the minimum qualifications). I made the decision to apply based on that statement so I hope it is true!

That's interesting...over the last 3 application cycles (according to the conference reports), number of completed applications were between 450-550 total. If 300 of those are international and in their own applicant pool, then yes, your odds go way down, but US Citizens soar far over what I think is even remotely possible (this given the number of people on here who aren't yet interviewing, and the number of colleagues we know who were not selected in past years). Something doesn't line up...I wonder what's going on...? That would be 1 in 3 domestic applicants get in. No chance.

I think they must have given you incorrect numbers--that there are less international applicants...a typo and there's 30?!...that would certainly make your odds a wonderful 1 in 3. I just don't think the domestic odds could be that high, though. Obviously we're missing some data points here! Ugh...more mysteries of the EIS! smh :shrug:

RN 'S with an MPH and having worked in different capacities in Public health make good candidates and I personally know of one.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello all, I have been out of the loop due to traveling for work but I finally received an email to interview on Thursday (10/23). It left me with two interview date options. Luckily, I live in Atlanta and don't have to worry about costs for flying.

Anyway, just an update...time to focus on the interview. Best of luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
That's interesting...over the last 3 application cycles (according to the conference reports), number of completed applications were between 450-550 total. If 300 of those are international and in their own applicant pool, then yes, your odds go way down, but US Citizens soar far over what I think is even remotely possible (this given the number of people on here who aren't yet interviewing, and the number of colleagues we know who were not selected in past years). Something doesn't line up...I wonder what's going on...? That would be 1 in 3 domestic applicants get in. No chance.

I think they must have given you incorrect numbers--that there are less international applicants...a typo and there's 30?!...that would certainly make your odds a wonderful 1 in 3. I just don't think the domestic odds could be that high, though. Obviously we're missing some data points here! Ugh...more mysteries of the EIS! smh :shrug:

Very interesting; you're right the numbers certainly don't add up. I'd say it must have been a typo or maybe the conference report only includes domestic applications - so then 450-550 domestic and 300 international applications? No clue.

Very interesting; you're right the numbers certainly don't add up. I'd say it must have been a typo or maybe the conference report only includes domestic applications - so then 450-550 domestic and 300 international applications? No clue.

The total application number may be true , but its just a number, we don't know the following numbers
1. Outright disqualifications based on the criteria.
2. How many could not complete the application process by the due dates.
3. Denials based on evaluation and then no interviews.

Lets just be optimistic , as my application is still under review and according to my last contact with EIS i have to wait till October 31, for the review committee to decide....

The total application number may be true , but its just a number, we don't know the following numbers
1. Outright disqualifications based on the criteria.
2. How many could not complete the application process by the due dates.
3. Denials based on evaluation and then no interviews.

Lets just be optimistic , as my application is still under review and according to my last contact with EIS i have to wait till October 31, for the review committee to decide....
ISHQ, just curious, did you submit your application close to the deadline? I did submit mine Aug 14th, just one day before the deadline, and I'm wondering if maybe they have been reviewing the applications in the order they received them. And mlkmnsgrl husband submitted his application very early and was one of the first people in this thread to get an interview invitation. In any case, as you say... being optimistic and waiting until the end of the week. Thanks for your postings, have been very helpful!

No I had submitted it long back. I think they have too much on their hands. In any case all we can do is wait for that email. Calling or emailing EIS does not help as its some contractors who answer and then transfer to one person, who by this time must be swamped by persistent calls and emails.
Let's play the waiting game till the other shoe drops. Good Luck either ways.

We were told last week that they take around 10 international applicants regardless of applicant pool, then they try for 50% MDs. The remaining covers the dvms, RNs, lawyers, pharmacists and PhDs. PhDs account for the largest percentage of applicants. There are the same or fewer positions than last year

Hello all, I have been out of the loop due to traveling for work but I finally received an email to interview on Thursday (10/23). It left me with two interview date options. Luckily, I live in Atlanta and don't have to worry about costs for flying.

Anyway, just an update...time to focus on the interview. Best of luck to everyone!

Congratulations, Angiecou!! Good luck! Just goes to show that there's no giving up until Nov 7 when interviews are actually over.

Reactions: 1 user
We were told last week that they take around 10 international applicants regardless of applicant pool, then they try for 50% MDs. The remaining covers the dvms, RNs, lawyers, pharmacists and PhDs. PhDs account for the largest percentage of applicants. There are the same or fewer positions than last year

Wow, I'm surprised they are not taking more EIS officers this year. In my waitlist email last year, they stated that it was so competitive, several EIS spots came down to a 1000th of a point (sounds a little like an exaggeration, lol).

Hello, I also applied to the EIS program and have recently found this thread to be very helpful - thank you all.
I'm an international applicant from Canada who has also not received either a rejection or an invite to interview; my application page still says "under review". I'm guessing that my chances of being offered an interview now are quite low, but I am still trying to be optimistic. Although, I am also worried about the cost of travelling on short notice.

Are there other international applicants who are still waiting to hear back? I'm wondering if maybe they are holding on to the international pool and/or maybe they will have different interviewing dates for international applicants?? I know when I had emailed the CDC EIS program early on I had asked about the competition for different groups and the person who replied did say that international applicants only compete with other international applicants.

Yes, there are other international applicants: I am from the Netherlands, and have not heard anything either.... I did apply really late, so that might have to do with it as well as others have suggested. Just one more week of nerves I hope?!

Flights are expensive anyway, but for November prices are skyrocketing... They can't expect foreign applicants to pay 3,000USD for an interview, right?

The all familiar lines......
  • Al
Yes, there are other international applicants: I am from the Netherlands, and have not heard anything either.... I did apply really late, so that might have to do with it as well as others have suggested. Just one more week of nerves I hope?!

Flights are expensive anyway, but for November prices are skyrocketing... They can't expect foreign applicants to pay 3,000USD for an interview, right?

I cant imagine how stressful it may be for international applicants who have to make last minute travel plans, visa, ticket, hotel etc. Lets wait and watch this week and perhaps the next or maybe suffer till April .

Congratulations, Angiecou!! Good luck! Just goes to show that there's no giving up until Nov 7 when interviews are actually over.
I interview on the last day, Friday, Nov 7th. My choice really...at least I can pull from last years interview experience.

I interview on the last day, Friday, Nov 7th. My choice really...at least I can pull from last years interview experience.
Congratulations and Good Luck !!

Hi all, I also interviewed last week and wanted to assure everyone that it's a pretty friendly process. All the applicants, interviewers, and current EISOs were very nice and welcoming. Be prepared for several typical interview questions (mentioned earlier - tell us about a conflict, etc.) as well as EIS specific interview questions (also mentioned earlier - why EIS, etc.). Three of my interviewers had specifically read my application, and 1 didn't let on if they had, so be prepared to start from square one with some interviewers. Nothing too out of left-field, at least in my experience or anyone else I talked to. Also, as expected with all the ebola chaos, some of the interviewers at the last minute weren't able to make it and the EIS staff will scramble to find you an interviewer to talk to. If this happens, the interviewer will definitely not have seen your application. This happened for my last interview of the day and the EIS staff were super friendly and helpful and assured me that as long as I had 5 interviews total I was fine. The only loss was not getting to ask the originally scheduled interviewer questions I might have had about their center.
Just a couple details that I noticed: we were told that there would be 78 slots this year, they said around 220 people were interviewing, and it does seem that PhDs can be CC officers after EIS - someone specifically asked this.
Hope this helps. Best of luck to all!

Here is the review on my interview last week (Friday). As mlkmnsgrl and ERSCA mentioned, it was quite welcoming atmosphere. There were about 30 people for the interview on Friday. ERSCA and I actually happened to have lunch together! We were very happy to have this community to exchange our information and get supports. :) My interview was done by 2:45, not too late, however bringing some sweet or snack can be helpful to get a quick energy as all applicants seemed to get tired by 1pm. (as our day started quite early). My first interviewer was one from the selection committee, although she was very nice and friendly, questions were very structured and dry. Typical interview questions. All other interviewers were very informal and interview process went smoothly. I felt it was more conversational than strict interview. It seems like all interviewer were nice and everyone finished their interviews with good feeling. I didn't get to be asked any technical questions based on my background. They were more of my motivation or my experience related questions. Current EIS officers were really nice and friendly. They sit around with you while some of you waiting for your next interview and talk with you.
Good luck to all of us!

Here is the review on my interview last week (Friday). As mlkmnsgrl and ERSCA mentioned, it was quite welcoming atmosphere. There were about 30 people for the interview on Friday. ERSCA and I actually happened to have lunch together! We were very happy to have this community to exchange our information and get supports. :) My interview was done by 2:45, not too late, however bringing some sweet or snack can be helpful to get a quick energy as all applicants seemed to get tired by 1pm. (as our day started quite early). My first interviewer was one from the selection committee, although she was very nice and friendly, questions were very structured and dry. Typical interview questions. All other interviewers were very informal and interview process went smoothly. I felt it was more conversational than strict interview. It seems like all interviewer were nice and everyone finished their interviews with good feeling. I didn't get to be asked any technical questions based on my background. They were more of my motivation or my experience related questions. Current EIS officers were really nice and friendly. They sit around with you while some of you waiting for your next interview and talk with you.
Good luck to all of us!

When did you submit your application? I am just curious if the interviews happen in that order...i am still getting reviewed according to the site:(

When did you submit your application? I am just curious if the interviews happen in that order...i am still getting reviewed according to the site:(

I don't think there is a specific order to review, my application barely made it by the deadline (I was fretting typos and the focus of my essay it was tough to hit the submit button) but I found out only a few days after mlkmnsgrl's husband I had an interview. However, as ERSCA stated several people have been involved with Ebola, and several other big outbreaks, this application go round. Your application may just be with a reviewer who hasn't had time. Although hopefully they get it to someone else who does soon I can't imagine still having to wait for an answer right now! Good Luck!!

I don't think there is a specific order to review, my application barely made it by the deadline (I was fretting typos and the focus of my essay it was tough to hit the submit button) but I found out only a few days after mlkmnsgrl's husband I had an interview. However, as ERSCA stated several people have been involved with Ebola, and several other big outbreaks, this application go round. Your application may just be with a reviewer who hasn't had time. Although hopefully they get it to someone else who does soon I can't imagine still having to wait for an answer right now! Good Luck!!

Well thanks , hope floats and time is running down...

Hi All! Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences and I hope those who are waiting get an invite soon! Best of luck to those interviewing.

Recap of my interview on Monday: It was exactly as how others described it. My session had about 80 interviewees - all are pretty competitive and have have done amazing things! Everyone was extremely nice and supportive - which made me want to be a part of the program even more! I would suggest bringing bottled water and wear a comfortable outfit (you'll have to stay in it for 8 hours - and the only place to sit is in the conference room). I have to admit that while it was overwhelming (so many impressive candidates and the interview process itself) - it was a blast to learn more about the program and meet the people who are on the front lines keeping people safe!

To address specific questions folks had:
1) Not everyone has to go to Africa (its volunteer based)
2) My application was submitted close to the deadline
3) If you did not get a confirmation response for your interview date - I would suggest calling them after 1-2 days.
4) They had mentioned dedicating ~10 spots for non-us applicants
5) I've met a few international applicants and everyone was notified at different times (early one versus a few days away from the interview date)
6) They are interviewing more people this year than ever before - probably due to so many impressive candidates

Best wishes to everyone, and I agree we should stay in touch to continue this journey together!

5) I've met a few international applicants and everyone was notified at different times (early one versus a few days away from the interview date)

Hi Tranc,
Thanks for sharing your experience and specifically for the info about international applicants. Even though it does sound like bad news for those of us still waiting..
Anyway, wish you all the best!

No interview for me :) Thank God at least i don't have to keep checking. Thanks everyone and good luck.

No interview for me either (just checked). Second time applying but last year I interviewed...This is bittersweet. Now I'm off to have a baby :)
Good luck to you all!

No interview for me either! Perhaps I will apply again next year or think about doing a PhD. Good luck to everyone who interviewed!

Well the word is out, no interview for me either... They only updated my status, didn't send me an email.
So now what :(

No interview for me either.

Just curious, are all the people who were notified last week international applicants?

I have a hypothesis that they keep all international applicants last and if they cant fill the positions with American nationals then they ask for international applicants.

Do you think that as well?

Just curious, are all the people who were notified last week international applicants?

I have a hypothesis that they keep all international applicants last and if they cant fill the positions with American nationals then they ask for international applicants.

I don't think they hold back internationals, based on what's been said thus far. Also, there are more than enough US citizens who would happily interview, so if they gave that preference, I doubt there would be the ~15% per year international officers.

I haven't checked in for awhile. Sorry to hear that some of you didn't get an interview, although I agree with your feeling of relief that at least now you know! I wish you all the very best as you pursue other options.

It's already killing us again that we're back to the waiting game...the disadvantage of interviewing the first day is the longer wait!...and the fear he'll be forgotten after meeting all you great ppl! So 58 days until the end of the year and we're supposed to know by then. Sigh...all I want for Christmas...

I dont know about that, as an international candidate I was also not invited for interview and I came to know this on the 22nd October. But during the last few years I have seen that the number of recruited International candidates were between 8 to 10, so for this I believe they must have invited at least some 20-30 candidates for interview (1:2 or 3). Well its just an assumption. And I have read in some blog from LSHTM that the chance of getting recruited if an international candidate is being offered an interview is very high, dont know how far that is true.

I am an International applicant. Interviewed yesterday. Good luck to all.

Good luck to you too nomy! And good luck to anyone who is interviewing Friday. After that I guess it is another round of hurry up and wait... 56 days! I for one will be happy to know either way... this making plans and decisions with the "if I don't get eis" caveat is getting complicated...

Thanks a lot JJ!
Does anyone have details on International Applicants (number, interviewed ...etc)???

Good luck to you too nomy! And good luck to anyone who is interviewing Friday. After that I guess it is another round of hurry up and wait... 56 days! I for one will be happy to know either way... this making plans and decisions with the "if I don't get eis" caveat is getting complicated...

Seriously! We have another interview next week and they've been very aggressively recruiting. Like, we don't want to bring you in unless you're really planning on coming for 3 years. Ok, well, if we don't do eis, they're our second choice, so we have to be like yes, we're committed, but then we'll feel bad if next month we turn them down. Or if they demand a yes before we hear from eis. Ugh!

I'm interviewing on Friday, the last day. I hope to get some casual conversations about the craziness of handling the apps this year. It will be my second year interviewing and I don't feel any more prepared than last year...sigh...we'll at least it's another experience for the books!

I'm interviewing on Friday, the last day. I hope to get some casual conversations about the craziness of handling the apps this year. It will be my second year interviewing and I don't feel any more prepared than last year...sigh...we'll at least it's another experience for the books!

Good luck, Angiecou! For better or worse, at least after Friday we're all done with this stage, right?! It drives me crazy when there isn't a ton of information available about something and EIS is at the top of the list of vague processes! But it seems like once we're in, it becomes a well-oiled machine...here's worth hoping...

Hi everyone, I am just now seeing this thread and happy to have found it. I interviewed on October 24th...we shall see! Please keep us posted in December when you receive your acceptance/rejection calls and emails and I will do the same!

Well the word is out, no interview for me either... They only updated my status, didn't send me an email.
So now what :(

Hi I saw the name and am curious do you live in NL? or Dutch living in America? I am an american living in NL...

Hello All,

Interview on Friday was smooth as what most others have said, everyone was extremely nice. Interviews were more like casual chats There were about 40 -50 people (estimation) and many had been in that last round of invites. Several were international, one from Malawi and Australia were even there. They had flown in a day or so ahead. It was made clear that international applications made up a LARGE proportion of the applicants even though only 10 are included in the final 78.

We should know by early December if you make the final cut by phone call. They did state that this was the largest pool yet of applicants. Was anyone else on this blog there on Friday?

Anyway, best of luck to all!

Thanks a lot JJ!
Does anyone have details on International Applicants (number, interviewed ...etc)???

Of the over 500 completed applications (from the over 900 started applications), over 300 were from international applicants. I forget how many were invited to the interviews (sorry!), of which 232 people were interviewed - 78 will be chosen and 10 will be from the international pool.

So, more than half of the completed applicants (300+ of 500+) were from the international pool, and the final class will be 68 from US and 10 from internationals. Crazy!

Last edited:
Hi Angiecou,
Thanks a lot for your post. Being an International, I am more interested in the number of applicants invited for interview. During my day, we were 4 internationals!! Can anyone recall, how many international applicants appeared during there cohort?
Thanks