Iowa State University c/o 2019 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow I am sorry to hear that I didn't think it would be so soon. Now I am freaking out I definitely don't think I am a competitive candidate but I had to try as well.
Does anyone know do they initially weed you out by your GPA/GRE without even looking at experiences??

One of my friends was rejected before moving on to "Committee Review". I think that during Academic Review, the committee is just looking at grades/GRE/prereqs and then if that is satisfactory you move on to Committee Review - which is where they read essays/experiences/ LORs.

Members don't see this ad.

Yep, it's by GPA and that's why they rejected me. In my undergrad, I messed up a LOT but have taken a lot of higher level classes and did really well in them, which I thought was going to make up for it. But the original bad grades will never disappear and no matter how many more credits I take, my GPA from undergrad is impossible to raise up significantly. Womp womp :[

I can't believe it's out already, if they message us through messaging system, we will get the email alert as well right? because I have been getting an email alert when they replied to my message.
Yes, every time you get any change (a status update or a message), you will be notified by email.

It's not that uncommon for a few people to be rejected at this stage. If I remember right, you need to pass academic review, and then you are on committee review. If you pass that, you get an interview. If not you get a rejection. Then after the interview there if a specific date (mid Feb.) that they will release status updates for those waitlisted, accepted, or rejected.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So mine says I am in Committee Review, does that mean that I passed the academic phase(GPA, GRE, ect.)?

So mine says I am in Committee Review, does that mean that I passed the academic phase(GPA, GRE, ect.)?
Yes, it means that you are passed the academic phase. As far as I'm aware, the academic phase is a more of a screening for poor GPAs. The committee review is where they then consider the rest of your application as well to see if they want to offer you an interview.

Yes, it means that you are passed the academic phase. As far as I'm aware, the academic phase is a more of a screening for poor GPAs. The committee review is where they then consider the rest of your application as well to see if they want to offer you an interview.

Awesome, I was so nervous with iowa because my GPAs came out lower by how they calcuated! I really am starting to understand what all of you current vet students have gone through! This is by far the most harrowing experience ever!

Awesome, I was so nervous with iowa because my GPAs came out lower by how they calcuated! I really am starting to understand what all of you current vet students have gone through! This is by far the most harrowing experience ever!
Haha, it will get much worse once you are in vet school ;).

I do completely agree that the application process is really crazy, and the long wait is enough to make anyone go insane. Just stick it out a bit longer, the months will go by quicker than you think :)

Haha i can only imagine! We beat ourselves up trying to get in then we wonder, what the heck were we thinking!

I really hope the next few months fly by! I graduated early and am working every day , but I almost wish I had gone back to school so I would have more to occupy my mind!

Yep, it's by GPA and that's why they rejected me. In my undergrad, I messed up a LOT but have taken a lot of higher level classes and did really well in them, which I thought was going to make up for it. But the original bad grades will never disappear and no matter how many more credits I take, my GPA from undergrad is impossible to raise up significantly. Womp womp :[

Have you gone for your Masters degree? I think that can help a lot!

Have you gone for your Masters degree? I think that can help a lot!
My undergrad performance was just enough to get me considered, however I also went and got my Master's degree and did really well. I did a non-thesis master's and it was my plan B when I applied for round 2.

I am not sure if they looked at me because of my Master's Degree or because of my varied experience.

No, I've been working on a post-bacc for the last three years and working at the same time. If I had the time/money to do a masters degree I would have done it, but I'm trying really hard to save up as much as possible for vet school, the move, books, rent, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Status was changed to In Committee Review today!

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone that is OOS had their status change to committee review?

Has anyone that is OOS had their status change to committee review?

I am OSS and mine has been in committee review for at lest a week...I didn't look until someone posted on here last week.

Does Iowa process some applications sooner than others? I'm oos and haven't had any updates on my application page yet. It still says my vmcas has not been received. Should I be nervous since many people seem to be moving into academic and committee reviews?

Does Iowa process some applications sooner than others? I'm oos and haven't had any updates on my application page yet. It still says my vmcas has not been received. Should I be nervous since many people seem to be moving into academic and committee reviews?

I wouldn't worry about it at this point of the process. It took well into November last year for some people to be passed into committee review. It did seem that some applications were processed sooner than others (keep in mind there are 2-3 OOS interview dates as well).

I would get to worried either I had all of my stuff in to Iowa by September, so maybe it was just a timing thing.

Wouldn't sorry phone decided to autocorrect that one. :oops:

If I recall correctly, last year there was speculation but there honestly didn't seem to be a true pattern (at least to me). I didn't submit the supplemental until late but I was switched to committee review relatively early. There were others who submitted way back in the beginning in August and didn't hear anything until November. Some said it might based on who they could potentially see interviewing first but who knows?

My VMCAS was verrified in June . . . . . . that's why I'm kinda worried.

Hmmm, that is strange! I was late to submit everything, and I was just VMCAS verified last week. Iowa just calculated my GPA and I switched to committee review today. Does Iowa have your GPA calculated yet @Felixor90 ? Maybe it is a glitch?

On the bright side... you haven't been outright rejected yet, as they have sent some out already.

I have a friend that just started at Iowa this year. She got a later interview date, was wait listed and then accepted. I'll check with her to see when her status changed. I know she had everything in by early September.

As my friends and family keep saying to me no news is sometimes good news. In other words they probably haven't looked yours over yet. If only we could figure out how these schools work their logic o_O

My VMCAS was verrified in June . . . . . . that's why I'm kinda worried.
I know it's easy for me to say, but try not to worry. Someone else was in the exact same situation but eventually was put into committee review and got the second interview date. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I really don't think they process these strictly by when it was submitted, so don't put too much stock in it all. I believe last year they had close to 1000 OOS applications to review, so know you will be looked at eventually.

Hmmm, that is strange! I was late to submit everything, and I was just VMCAS verified last week. Iowa just calculated my GPA and I switched to committee review today. Does Iowa have your GPA calculated yet @Felixor90 ? Maybe it is a glitch?

On the bright side... you haven't been outright rejected yet, as they have sent some out already.

I have a friend that just started at Iowa this year. She got a later interview date, was wait listed and then accepted. I'll check with her to see when her status changed. I know she had everything in by early September.

Yes they calculated everything back in July/August. I guess not being rejected already is kinda ok news. :L

Applied here. Patiently waiting for school to receive my VMCAS app still. :cool: Playing it cooool.

I submitted both the supplemental and vmcas in mid September and was verified pretty close to the deadline...maybe that has something to do with it. Thanks guys! I think I'm likely letting nerves get the best of me at this point!

I just wanted to say hang in there. I did not get invited for an interview until Mid-January for the last application cycle and I was waitlisted. I sat in "review" for a very very long time! So do not freak out if you do not hear anything right away!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi so I noticed yesterday that my VMCAS app had been received but there was no status change on my portal and my GPAs hadn't been calculated yet. Then today I just went on and noticed that I was in committee review. Could this be a mistake considering it does not look like my status ever changed to academic review and my gpas aren't calculated?

I just checked (for the 20th time today) and I got moved to committee review. :D

Reactions: 1 users
Hi so I noticed yesterday that my VMCAS app had been received but there was no status change on my portal and my GPAs hadn't been calculated yet. Then today I just went on and noticed that I was in committee review. Could this be a mistake considering it does not look like my status ever changed to academic review and my gpas aren't calculated?
I'm in the same situation. The only thing up is my gre score, no GPAs calculated and I never was in the academic review stage, just skipped right from verified to committee review. Not sure if this is good or not :/

I'm in the same situation. The only thing up is my gre score, no GPAs calculated and I never was in the academic review stage, just skipped right from verified to committee review. Not sure if this is good or not :/
On the plus side if we are actually in committee review they are assessing essays and experiences, (what makes us each unique applicants) rather than solely numbers!

Seriously thats so exciting to hear that they are starting to get to us out of staters! You weren't even a contract state?

[QUOTEim"haley120892, post: 15824759, member: 618303"]Seriously thats so exciting to hear that they are starting to get to us out of staters! You weren't even a contract state?[/QUOTE]
Oh no Im a contract state...CT! Sorry for the confusion!

On the plus side if we are actually in committee review they are assessing essays and experiences, (what makes us each unique applicants) rather than solely numbers!

Yes lets hope so! I just checked again and my GPAs are calculated and it still says committee review. Lets hope this means I passed academic review!

Haha oh well all good things to hear though! Congratulations once again!:clap:

So I think this has already been said but I just wanted to clarify. Once you get into committee review do they solely base your interview status on the subjective evaluation or do they still consider academics in the interview decision?

So I think this has already been said but I just wanted to clarify. Once you get into committee review do they solely base your interview status on the subjective evaluation or do they still consider academics in the interview decision?

I could be wrong, but I believe they look at both (or at least they consider all of the factors when making the final decision).

Just got my rejection message :/ GPA too low to be further considered. I'm OOS. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE ELSE!!

Sorry to hear that, Wyatt'sAunt - good luck with other schools! What is your GPA?

its lower for iowa than my IS just cuz they have slightly different requirements. Science was 2.46 and last 45 was 3.42

One of my friends was rejected before moving on to "Committee Review". I think that during Academic Review, the committee is just looking at grades/GRE/prereqs and then if that is satisfactory you move on to Committee Review - which is where they read essays/experiences/ LORs.

Hello! I didn't apply to Iowa, but am a first time applicant. Typically is this how the applicant process goes for majority of schools? The first academic review then the committee (LOR, experience etc.?) I have a great GPA but horrible GRE (can;t take standardized tests well).

Thank you!