Iowa State University CVM c/o 2020 applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My science GPA is sooo low but I am currently taking the majority of the classes that they count (Biochem, physics, anatomy and phys 1&2) so hopefully they take that into consideration.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah. I'm currently taking biochem and genetics, so I'm hoping that I can pull As in those for the post-fall recalcs.

Looks like they do their top 5 CT residents the first day. Probably the highest ranked ones who would likely get the tuition break? I guess here's to hoping I make the first interview round...

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like they do their top 5 CT residents the first day. Probably the highest ranked ones who would likely get the tuition break? I guess here's to hoping I make the first interview round...

Well I know I talked to someone last year who was in the top 5 and was interviewed in Dec. So I don't think that's necessarily what they do. Either that or her interview points are what pushed her above everyone else. Either way, I wouldn't stress about not being the first weekend!

I think it's hard to predict as well since you also don't know if anyone will withdraw after finding out from another school. I'm sure they choose their top choices for the first date, but things can change so easily and so fast that theres no use worrying over it. An interview is an interview no matter when it is!

Reactions: 2 users
Man looking at those interview demographics scared the crap outta me! Seeing as I am an IL resident and there are only 9 interview spots each of the 3 weeks :boom:

Are the demographics for last year's cycle?

Okay.. does anyone know how many CT residents got in last year? I know someone said their year was 24 accepted CT residents... I wonder if that is pretty consistent.

Okay.. does anyone know how many CT residents got in last year? I know someone said their year was 24 accepted CT residents... I wonder if that is pretty consistent.
They have demographics for the past five years or so! You'd be able to check and see how consistent that number is! However, I think it is fairly consistent. It may change a tad bit.

They have demographics for the past five years or so! You'd be able to check and see how consistent that number is! However, I think it is fairly consistent. It may change a tad bit.

Remember that admitted and accepted are different! They post the amount admitted, but they generally accept more than that :) It was 11 admits last year, with more offered seats.

Yeah, thats why I asked about offered. I've seen all the stats for the enrolled students, but I guess there's no real way to know the accepted from year to year it seems.

Yeah, thats why I asked about offered. I've seen all the stats for the enrolled students, but I guess there's no real way to know the accepted from year to year it seems.

Yeah I don't think so. 24 sounds high, but if I knew I was higher than like #10 and I had other offers, not sure how high Iowa would rank, so it's not totally implausible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully to clear up some confusion about my previous post on another thread about the CT contract seats. My year there were 24 students from CT that were offered a seat with only 10 choosing to attend Iowa State. Iowa State would have taken all 24 if they had chosen to go there, but 14 people decided to attend different schools :). Even if you are ranked what seems to be high (even in the bottom half) you still have a shot at the scholarship. Hope that is a little clearer! Good luck to everyone applying this year!

OOS applicant! Status is still "none" and the only GPA posted is cumulative but thanks for the warning about the low science GPA so I don't panic (Like this :nailbiting:)

Have an OOS applicants gotten into committee review yet? I'm in academic review still and I've had all my GPAs up for a week or two.

I'm OOS and in committee review, but I'm a CT resident so... Consortium?

I think they did contracts and IS first! Cause I'm also CT and committee review.

Reactions: 1 users
OOS applicant! Status is still "none" and the only GPA posted is cumulative but thanks for the warning about the low science GPA so I don't panic (Like this :nailbiting:)
I'm in the same boat... hopefully everything goes up soon!

Last year about the time they sent out interview invites to IS and contract applicants was when they changed OOS applicant statuses to committee review/started going through them! Obviously some OOS are already in committee review, but this was when most OOS started seeing changes to their portals!

Last edited:
I'm OOS from Michigan and in committee review as of today! :)

Reactions: 4 users
So am I missing something - is there a difference between Committee Review & Academic Review??
(Im an OOS)

So am I missing something - is there a difference between Committee Review & Academic Review??
(Im an OOS)
Yes - academic review means they are in the process of reviewing your GPA, GRE, and course load. If this is satisfactory, you will be moved into committee review, where they look at your essays, experience, LORs, and everything else non-academic. Not everyone makes it to committee review, but a large chunk of applicants do!

Yes - academic review means they are in the process of reviewing your GPA, GRE, and course load. If this is satisfactory, you will be moved into committee review, where they look at your essays, experience, LORs, and everything else non-academic. Not everyone makes it to committee review, but a large chunk of applicants do!

Hmmm ok - all my GPAs are listed (have been for a bit), so I guess I just patiently wait....again! :)

When did you guys submit everything? I'm OOS and my status is still none...

I was verified by VMCAS the first week of September, but have found a few hiccups in the portal system of Iowa. I would reach out to them letting them know your concern; they usually respond pretty promptly with edited updates to your status.

If we haven't made it past the original Academic Review, would it say so on the status page?

Just made it into committee review (OOS, VA)! All GPAs/GREs are posted.

If we haven't made it past the original Academic Review, would it say so on the status page?
your application status should say :in academic review, or none if you haven't made it past yet or if they haven't gotten to you yet

As far as I understand, a bunch of (mainly) Iowa residents could be hearing at the end of next week at the earliest. This whole process is starting to get very real!

Reactions: 4 users
Everyone go to your portal and see if the new column that says "Interviewers" is available. Once I click on "Sign Up" it tells me

"Access Denied You are not authorized to access this page."

Trying to figure out if this is an error on my status page only or if everyone is getting this. I'm assuming I shouldn't be able to see this column until if/when I'm offered and interview, which I have not been yet...

Mine doesn't say that. . . it just says "no interview options available at this time"

It looks like that is for the people interviewing us to sign up to help. Not sure why we can see it lol.

It looks like that is for the people interviewing us to sign up to help. Not sure why we can see it lol.
Oh you're right that makes a lot more sense. I was like "interview for the whole day" ?!? Yeah must be some weird error.

Also, this just shows my crazy, but if we are going by the EXACT number of days as last year (between invites being sent and the first interview weekend), ISU will send out most IS and some contract interview invites THIS MONDAY THE 16TH!!! THAT IS 6 DAYS, PEOPLE.

Reactions: 3 users
Also, this just shows my crazy, but if we are going by the EXACT number of days as last year (between invites being sent and the first interview weekend), ISU will send out most IS and some contract interview invites THIS MONDAY THE 16TH!!! THAT IS 6 DAYS, PEOPLE.

BAHAHA only a little bit of crazy...

I already figured out that last year it was the Thursday of 3 weeks before the day making it this Thursday for the Dec dates...Hugs and good luck for my fellow neurotic pre-vets!!

I already figured out that last year it was the Thursday of 3 weeks before the day making it this Thursday for the Dec dates...Hugs and good luck for my fellow neurotic pre-vets!!
:nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:

As in... Tomorrow?? Last year the application closed in October right? You would think it'd be a bit earlier this year... oh well. Good luck to all you IS! I'm contract so hopefully I'll hear soon too!

As in... Tomorrow?? Last year the application closed in October right? You would think it'd be a bit earlier this year... oh well. Good luck to all you IS! I'm contract so hopefully I'll hear soon too!
AND they also took away the November interview dates!

I'm contract too, so I'm probably way more hopeful for tomorrow than I should be...

Honestly I doubt they will go out tomorrow. I'm not sure why I think that, I just don't see it happening... I'm thinking next week. :shrug:

Does anyone's application status still say "none"? I emailed them a month ago and got a response from Katie saying it will be updated once she begins my academic review. The only GPA up their is my cumulative, my scores and everything else are listed as "received". Just wondering if anyone else has not had a change in application status. Thanks!