Is it ok if "helping others" isn't among your reasons for wanting medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Corollary: it is sinful to work for money. Volunteer = altruism = guaranteed salvation. Money = greed = evil = eternal condemnation. Very crucial fact.
Nice. That was well put.

Members don't see this ad.

Raw income- Hun, you forgot tax and malpractice. Oh and probably kids and wife/husband...

Just make really good brownies - share with people. When you see them smile with true delight, you may start to grow a heart :3 - it's rewarding to help/serve others and get your head out of your A-S.

Ps, those things up there aren't brownies.

I applaud your dedication to this brownie shtick.

Reactions: 6 users
Importance is purely subjective. If a plumber thinks being knee deep in toilets and has a personal connection is he in the wrong?
No.
Not that subjective when one of the largest expenses in our nation is healthcare and not plumbing. It seems the majority if people would place greater value on their and other's health than their toilets and drains.

There's no doubt that the doctor makes a more impact full difference than the plumber, regardless of their respective views of their own work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe become a mortician.

Nothing wrong with wanting to be rich. However, Medicine is a calling, like being a priest of fireman.

How many of you have "your own reasons" for wanting to become a doctor that are unrelated to patient care?

No and no. We spot people like you a mile away. They get the fastest rejections....often before they leave the interview room.

And is this ok? Can people like this get into medical school?

I must show this to my psychiatrist colleague! He'll appreciate this!

Why do you have to care about them? They aren't related to you. They aren't your blood or even your friends. It's difficult for me to develop an emotional attachment to people who are total strangers to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Nothing wrong with wanting to be rich. However, Medicine is a calling, like being a priest of fireman.

How many of you have "your own reasons" for wanting to become a doctor that are unrelated to patient care?

No and no. We spot people like you a mile away. They get the fastest rejections....often before they leave the interview room.

Why do you have to care about them? They aren't related to you. They aren't your blood or even your friends. It's difficult for me to develop an emotional attachment to people who are total strangers to me.
Despite the fact that 'to help people' is a rather meaningless answer which is in no way specific to medicine?

I'd rather have a good physician taking care of me who doesn't care about helping others but does a good job because of the money that comes from it than a bad physician who doesn't care about the money and only cares about helping others. Just like I don't care if my good plumber is only in it for the money and not for the love of toilet. Good luck OP. Inb4 why not both.

Por que no los dos?

Not that subjective when one of the largest expenses in our nation is healthcare and not plumbing. It seems the majority if people would place greater value on their and other's health than their toilets and drains.

There's no doubt that the doctor makes a more impact full difference than the plumber, regardless of their respective views of their own work.

Egotistical premed. How surprising...
I'd like to see you function without working toilets for a few years and see if you still standby your statement.

Without toilets there would be no progress in civilization.

Reactions: 1 user
Egotistical premed. How surprising...
I'd like to see you function without working toilets for a few years and see if you still standby your statement.

Without toilets there would be no progress in civilization.
Straw man using pre med. How surprising...
Can you argue for the greater intrinsic value of plumbing?

Last edited by a moderator:

It is very possible that plumbing has saved more lives than doctors. Sanitation and all...

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It is very possible that plumbing has saved more lives than doctors. Sanitation and all...
Though to be fair, it's far easier to Wiki how to fix your own damn toilet than to remove your own appendix...far less cost when you eff up the first few times.

Reactions: 1 users
You can definitely go to a med school, and help people by working as a janitor.

Last edited by a moderator:

If you can't see what impact not having toilets or readily available hot water or even potable water for that matter or proper sewage systems would have on the world then I suggest you do your research. I'm not downplaying the importance of doctors but to actually hold the idea that doctors are more important that those in charge of plumbing is nothing short of foolish. Without plumbing we would have NOTHING and you would probably be dead right now or dying.

Aware yourself

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Rifle is my favorite troll account.

Reactions: 3 users
If you can't see what impact not having toilets or readily available hot water or even potable water for that matter or proper sewage systems would have on the world then I suggest you do your research. I'm not downplaying the importance of doctors but to actually hold the idea that doctors are more important that those in charge of plumbing is nothing short of foolish. Without plumbing we would have NOTHING and you would probably be dead right now or dying.
This is by far the best outcome this thread could have had

Reactions: 5 users

Oh yeah? What about all the pathologists and radiologists who never come within 50 feet of a patient? Pathology and Radiology happen to be my dream specialties, by the way.

The whole "calling" thing I don't buy. I know plenty of people who don't see medicine as a "calling" at all.

Last year I wrote a LOR for a student who wanted to be a pathologist. These students don't come to the interview dripping with contempt, immaturity, pathological entitlement, or a near sociopathic arrogance.
We understand that not every doctor wants to touch patients. But along the way, you have to. But those that actually despise them like you do...we can weed them out.

Oh yeah? What about all the pathologists and radiologists who never come within 50 feet of a patient? Pathology and Radiology happen to be my dream specialties, by the way.

The whole "calling" thing I don't buy. I know plenty of people who don't see medicine as a "calling" at all.

Aware yourself

I understand the bloody importance of plumbing. You mention "those in charge of plumbing". That would be engineers. Plumbers are involved in planning and implementation, but they aren't the ones overseeing these things.

What a physician does is obviously more impactful to the person.

It's ridiculous how people jump on the social justice band wagon at the drop of a hat.

Though to be fair, it's far easier to Wiki how to fix your own damn toilet than to remove your own appendix...far less cost when you eff up the first few times.
Precisely. @Godspeedyou seems to want to reinterpret my original statement to encompass the historical significance of the plumber, and apparently the entire concept of waste and civil water management as if those two things were synonymous. I understand that the advent of sanitary plumbing has saved more lives than can be counted and that toilets are a fixture one would hate to go without, but the truth is that in our modern world, (you know, the one that matters), what a doctor does for a patient is simply more important than what his or her plumber can do for them. To argue otherwise would be.....trolling. Ah, I see what is going on here.

What a physician does is obviously more impactful to the person.

Wow, this is actually what premeds believe. No use to debate with the self-entitled. Yes doctors are gods who solve the world's problems. You're #1

Reactions: 2 users

This is by far the most impassioned apologetics for the human waste industry that I've ever seen.
Just goes to show you, you never know what someone really cares about.
This guy has some passion for the historical impact of plumbing. I can appreciate that.

Aware yourself

Point.Noted.

Precisely. @Godspeedyou seems to want to reinterpret my original statement to encompass the historical significance of the plumber, and apparently the entire concept of waste and civil water management as if those two things were synonymous. I understand that the advent of sanitary plumbing has saved more lives than can be counted and that toilets are a fixture one would hate to go without, but the truth is that in our modern world, (you know, the one that matters), what a doctor does for a patient is simply more important than what his or her plumber can do for them. To argue otherwise would be.....trolling. Ah, I see what is going on here.

Your nuanced arguments are invalid here.
Let emotion and hyperbole reign. (rain?)

... and two volkswagens.

baller status.

Proud owner of a Passat here! Best car ever, and couldn't ask for more. Will drive it even when I become a big-shot attending (hopefully). :clap:

But in all seriousness, would you want someone who was "in it for the money" to be your doctor? I personally would want someone who is intrinsically motivated before they stick a scalpel in me! :nailbiting:

Proud owner of a Passat here! Best car ever, and couldn't ask for more. Will drive it even when I become a big-shot attending (hopefully). :clap:

But in all seriousness, would you want someone who was "in it for the money" to be your doctor? I personally would want someone who is intrinsically motivated before they stick a scalpel in me! :nailbiting:
I'm skeptical about the idea that most doctors were motivated by non-financial reasons. There are so many ways to help people and make the world a better place, but none of them come with the added bonus of a 190-500K+/year and recession-proof job. That's the difference with medicine.

Wow, this is actually what premeds believe. No use to debate with the self-entitled. Yes doctors are gods who solve the world's problems. You're #1
strawman2.jpg

Again, that's not what I'm suggesting at all. But since you are trolling, I'll let it go.

strawman2.jpg

Again, that's not what I'm suggesting at all. But since you are trolling, I'll let it go.

You're making yourself look like a fool, just stop... And the avatar of a show meant for 4-year-old girls is bad enough. Especially sinceyyou're a grown man in university.

You're making yourself look like a fool, just stop... And the avatar of a show meant for 4-year-old girls is bad enough. Especially sinceyyou're a grown man in university.
A grown man willing to like something out if the ordinary because of its out of the ordinary qualities has already kicked your ass. You could have ended it amiably, but I suppose not. I'm done with you.

Reactions: 2 users

really it's the consistent personal attacks in multiple threads against JSenpai to discredit him that make you look like a fool. what's your obsession with his avatar. get over it.

A grown man willing to like something out if the ordinary because of its out of the ordinary qualities has already kicked your ass. You could have ended it amiably, but I suppose not. I'm done with you.

First of all, don't call me a "you" I'm a non-binary aerobic/anaerobic organism who doesn't meet any of society's requirements for the word "you" so that's highly offensive. Secondly, the use of vulgar profanity is uncalled for, especially in a forum where children are present.

I've never been more hurt

I'm skeptical about the idea that most doctors were motivated by non-financial reasons. There are so many ways to help people and make the world a better place, but none of them come with the added bonus of a 190-500K+/year and recession-proof job. That's the difference with medicine.

I'm glad you're taking the easy way out. Jeez. I didn't realize you were too stupid and unmotivated to make money without having to get a "recession-proof job". But I guess some people just want to live a standard life rather than work extremely hard, make a start-up, and sell that jank for millions (think what's app and other absurd start-up companies that were sold for huge sums of money). I mean it's ok, we understand that you're not capable (motivated or even have the intelligence) of doing something big like that, so I guess it is ok to fall back on a "recession-proof job".

also, is responding to a troll, in essence trolling a troll? I like this because it then makes it seem like we are all trolling this guy as opposed to being trolled ourselves

OP for your own benefit I would avoid the mentality of "I will be rich when I grow up". Chances are you will run into multiple major barriers along the road, and even when (or if) you cross the tunnel the light might not be quite as bright as you had imagined. You're setting yourself up for major disappointment if things don't work out the way you had hoped. If you become content with an above average salary but nothing extraordinary, you'll either avoid overwhelming feelings of failure or, if all the stars align to your liking, the success will seem that much sweeter. And I know that positive mentality is a powerful motivational force, however there's a fine line between positive thinking and full-on arrogance.

OP for your own benefit I would avoid the mentality of "I will be rich when I grow up". Chances are you will run into multiple major barriers along the road, and even when (or if) you cross the tunnel the light might not be quite as bright as you had imagined. You're setting yourself up for major disappointment if things don't work out the way you had hoped. If you become content with an above average salary but nothing extraordinary, you'll either avoid overwhelming feelings of failure or, if all the stars align to your liking, the success will seem that much sweeter. And I know that positive mentality is a powerful motivational force, however there's a fine line between positive thinking and full-on arrogance.
Please... enough with the downplaying of physician salaries/lifestyle. Simply getting into medical school, whether it's some low-tier no namer or a top 20 powerhouse, virtually guarantees you will become a doctor. All you need to do is not flunk out once you get in, like >95% of matriculants every year.

Then comes picking your specialty. If you match into the least competitive specialties like family medicine or psychiatry, you have an abundance of 190-200K+/year jobs waiting for you after residency. That income puts you in the 99th percentile of this world. If you match into something like anesthesiology, radiology, emergency medicine, internal medicine and subspecialize, etc then you can easily bring home 270-500K+ every year.

The 8 years before you're able to practice will be hard, but after that it's the high life for anyone who wants it. Gonna be so awesome being rich in my early 30s while other people are stuck with mediocre < six figure salaries (engineers) or working 100 hours every week including both weekends just to make 130K/year (investment bankers). Medicine is easily the best field for the $$$$$$.

Feel sorry for your naive view despite everyone trying to correct you. That $300,000 in loans will balloon to well over half a million. If you want to buy a house and car then you'll have even more debt. Doctors today are mostly upper middle class, not super rich like you keep portraying.

Uh, yes I am. I have all the academic and extracurricular qualifications. I will definitely get in.
Yeah, but you have to do these things called "interviews" where you have to be a compassionate human being.

Reactions: 1 users
Feel sorry for your naive view despite everyone trying to correct you. That $300,000 in loans will balloon to well over half a million. If you want to buy a house and car then you'll have even more debt. Doctors today are mostly upper middle class, not super rich like you keep portraying.

Don't think OP is going to need to take out loans.. Pretty sure the fams got it covered.

Don't think OP is going to need to take out loans.. Pretty sure the fams got it covered.
Or so he claims lolz

Hey OP – What brand of loafers ya got? Don't tell me you spend all of your family fortune on video games..

I got a chuckle out of "loans." :laugh:

I'm not going to need to take out any.

Edit: read terp720's post. She hit it.

I didn't realize that having an income that places you in the >99th percentile of all earners wasn't super rich. That's pretty funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.