Is it ok if "helping others" isn't among your reasons for wanting medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't listen to any of that. I know several physicians in major cities all across the country and they're all living like royalty.

250-500K+ will absolutely buy you a massive house and fancy cars no matter which city you're in.

Do yourself a favor and go check out some real estate websites in places like SF and NYC.

There is virtually nothing livable under 1 million. 1-2 million will get you a decent house in a decent school district. A true "mansion" starts at about 4-5 million.

Now how are you going to pay for that $5million mansion on a salary of 250k?

Members don't see this ad.

Neither, with my parents. Please do not use your insolent logic.

Got it. So you know NOTHING about supporting a family in a major city. Tell me again why you think you are so knowledgable on the topic?

Reactions: 1 user
Got it. So you know NOTHING about supporting a family in a major city. Tell me again why you think you are so knowledgable on the topic?

I got a 5 in AP Macro and Micro Economics.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do yourself a favor and go check out some real estate websites in places like SF and NYC.

There is virtually nothing livable under 1 million. 1-2 million will get you a decent house in a decent school district. A true "mansion" starts at about 4-5 million.

Now how are you going to pay for that $5million mansion on a salary of 250k?
True mansions don't start at 4-5 million. I've been to mansions in New York, LA and Chicago with swimming pools, indoor racquetball courts, 12 bathrooms with Jacuzzis in them, home theater systems, multiple 70+ inch flat screens, etc that are owned by people with a combined income of 350K and even less sometimes.

4-5 million. Yeah right. Try 750K-1.2 million.

Something like 90-140K per year will get you a "decent house in a decent school district."

250-500K per year will have me living in luxury. That's the truth.

True mansions don't start at 4-5 million. I've been to mansions in New York, LA and Chicago with swimming pools, indoor racquetball courts, 12 bathrooms with Jacuzzis in them, home theater systems, multiple 70+ inch flat screens, etc that are owned by people with a combined income of 350K and even less sometimes.

Those are probably in suburbs, but yeah that is possible with a few years. I don't think he knows basic financial math.

Something like 90-140K per year will get you a "decent house in a decent school district."

250-500K per year will have me living in luxury. That's the truth

Those "mansions" you speak of are in crappy school districts. Guaranteed.

Edit: On second thought, you are clearly a troll, so I doubt they even exist. 750k for a mansion? What are you smoking? I have lived in both NY and Chicago. 750k will not get you jack ****. Please post some links to 750k mansions for sale, I'll be waiting.

What is he has the skills to fool the adcoms?

Adcoms have been doing this for a long time, many of whom are MDs themselves.

Last edited:
Those "mansions" you speak of are in crappy school districts. Guaranteed.

Edit: On second thought, you are clearly a troll, so I doubt they even exist. 750k for a mansion? What are you smoking? I have lived in both NY and Chicago. 750k will not get you jack ****. Please post some links to 750k mansions for sale, I'll be waiting.
No, they aren't. Great school districts actually. I'm not at all trolling and generally pay no mind to posters who cry to mods about trolling/banning because they add nothing of substance to my thread. I'm better off not even reading their posts, which is what I normally do. I'm just seeing if there are others here who share my motives for wanting to be a doctor.

However, what you've posted throughout this thread is just shockingly incorrect, and I no longer think that you truly believe what you are writing. Not sure if you are posting these outrageous lies purely for shock value, to sway people away from medicine, to scare them, or whatever. I honestly don't know what your intentions are, but they don't concern me one bit.

What I do know is what I've actually experienced and seen in my life, which doesn't require silly links to real estate sites for my approval. I've set foot in mansions that are owned by people who make 250-300K total and titanic castles owned by people who earn 430K+. Words on a forum alone couldn't adequately describe the grandeur, majesty, and just plain beauty of some of these houses.

There's no reason for me to make any of this up, and if none of it were true, I'd drop my dreams of getting into medical school before you could even blink. But it's the guarantee of a life of luxury and extravagance like this that inspires me. It's a great thing to know for certain that you'll be rich after 8 years. Most don't have that guarantee.

There's no reason for me to make any of this up, and if none of it were true, I'd drop my dreams of getting into medical school before you could even blink. But it's the guarantee of a life of luxury and extravagance like this that inspires me. It's a great thing to know for certain that you'll be rich after 8 years. Most don't have that guarantee.

Rich after 8 years, eh? Fast forward 17 more years. Three kids in private school, an ex-wife with a very expensive divorce attorney, your third McMansion financed through a 0% down physician loan, and to maintain your 500K lifestyle you need to sock away $10 million in a 401K. You wake up alone one Monday morning, prior to starting another 60+ hour work week, and look in the mirror at your sagging skin, sunken eyes, and graying hair. Realizing you have wasted your life, you enter the garage, get into your Lexus, tape a note to the dashboard, and turn on the engine.

Seen it happen.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Rich after 8 years, eh? Fast forward 17 more years. Three kids in private school, an ex-wife with a very expensive divorce attorney, your third McMansion financed through a 0% down physician loan, and to maintain your 500K lifestyle you need to sock away $10 million in a 401K. You wake up alone one Monday morning, prior to starting another 60+ hour work week, and look in the mirror at your sagging skin, sunken eyes, and graying hair. Realizing you have wasted your life, you enter the garage, get into your Lexus, tape a note to the dashboard, and turn on the engine.

Seen it happen.
Well, if you're going to be an idiot with your money, what do you expect?

Well, if you're going to be an idiot with your money, what do you expect?

I guess one of the underlying messages here is that it's extraordinarily easy "to be an idiot with your money." From starting medical school until landing that first "real job" physicians are put through a meat grinder of debt, demand, and delayed gratification, and they often spit out the other end with families, financial obligations, and the expectation (both internal and external) of having a certain lifestyle. The majority of premedical students may assume that they will have no problem continuing to live like students until their debts are repaid, but it rarely works out that way.

Reactions: 4 users
I guess one of the underlying messages here is that it's extraordinarily easy "to be an idiot with your money." From starting medical school until landing that first "real job" physicians are put through a meat grinder of debt, demand, and delayed gratification, and they often spit out the other end with families, financial obligations, and the expectation (both internal and external) of having a certain lifestyle. The majority of premedical students may assume that they will have no problem continuing to live like students until their debts are repaid, but it rarely works out that way.
I was doing a little math the other day and I realized that at 70K per year in loans and subsidized loans being very hard to come by, you'll essentially have about 50K /year if you make 230K /year for all non-loan expenses for the entire time you pay down the loan. Most people would be about 31 by the time they finish residency, and you'd probably be expected to pick up a mortgage and start having kids at this point in your life as well. Doesn't seem like medicine is the way to go if you want a lavish lifestyle.

There's a difference between living like a student and living like a normal adult, sure. But there's still a HUGE GAPING CHASM between both of those and the situation described above.

I was doing a little math the other day and I realized that at 70K per year in loans and subsidized loans being very hard to come by, you'll essentially have about 50K /year if you make 230K /year for all non-loan expenses for the entire time you pay down the loan. Most people would be about 31 by the time they finish residency, and you'd probably be expected to pick up a mortgage and start having kids at this point in your life as well. Doesn't seem like medicine is the way to go if you want a lavish lifestyle.
:shrug: I dunno about lavish, but $70k is well within the 'I do not need to have a specific budget for fear of not making rent' limit.

These are the same ones who believe MS-1/MS-2 success and being able to fill out multiple choice scantrons correctly, is the key to medical school success and success in medicine. :smack: Such black-and-white thinking, you'd think they were toddlers.

:shrug: I dunno about lavish, but $70k is well within the 'I do not need to have a specific budget for fear of not making rent' limit.
Oh, no I was saying take out 70K/year during med school in loans to cover tuition and other expenses, which is actually fairly realistic at expenses schools (54K tuition + expensive area), and then carry it through residency (in my somewhat slipshod calculations I assumed 15K/year towards loans in residency). Then when you emerge and start making the "big bucks" you really don't have that much left because of huge income tax and loans that accrue 40K+ in interest along.

Obviously this changes if you don't have to take out many loans or if you can go to a cheaper public school (sadly my even my state school charges 44K/year, and 54K to outsiders...:arghh:).

There's a difference between living like a student and living like a normal adult, sure. But there's still a HUGE GAPING CHASM between both of those and the situation described above.

True, but there is a huge gaping chasm between the OP and your typical medical school applicant.

No, they aren't. Great school districts actually. I'm not at all trolling and generally pay no mind to posters who cry to mods about trolling/banning because they add nothing of substance to my thread. I'm better off not even reading their posts, which is what I normally do. I'm just seeing if there are others here who share my motives for wanting to be a doctor.

However, what you've posted throughout this thread is just shockingly incorrect, and I no longer think that you truly believe what you are writing. Not sure if you are posting these outrageous lies purely for shock value, to sway people away from medicine, to scare them, or whatever. I honestly don't know what your intentions are, but they don't concern me one bit.

What I do know is what I've actually experienced and seen in my life, which doesn't require silly links to real estate sites for my approval. I've set foot in mansions that are owned by people who make 250-300K total and titanic castles owned by people who earn 430K+. Words on a forum alone couldn't adequately describe the grandeur, majesty, and just plain beauty of some of these houses.

I'm still waiting for you to post links to houses like the ones you mention: Mansions for under 1 million in great school districts in major cities. Also known as unicorns.

I am not trying to "scare anyone away" from medicine, but people on this site are shockingly naive about the cost of living, especially in major cities. I can see why some young physicians are angry and disgruntled. If they were this naive going into medical school, it's no wonder.

Last edited:

Clearly you do not live in SF, Chicago, NYC, or any other expensive city.

I'm still waiting for you to post links to houses like the ones you mention: Mansions for under 1 million in great school districts in major cities. Also known as unicorns.

I am not trying to "scare anyone away" from medicine, but people on this site are shockingly naive about the cost of living, especially in major cities. I can see why some young physicians are angry and disgruntled. If they were this naive going into medical school, it's no wonder.

I think this just shows that you're out of touch. I mean, wtf, you're calling 500k "middle class"

I think this just shows that you're out of touch. I mean, wtf, you're calling 500k "middle class"

Listen dude. Get married, have 2+ kids, move to SF, Chicago, or NYC. You will see what I mean. Until then, you should listen to people who actually know what they are talking about.

I'll wait here while you and OP post links to 750k "mansions" in desirable cities. Still waiting. :whistle:

this_thread_gave_me_cancer_by_piratesadventure-d5f6o9n-jpg.11339

Reactions: 3 users
Listen dude. Get married, have 2+ kids, move to SF, Chicago, or NYC. You will see what I mean. Until then, you should listen to people who actually know what they are talking about.

I'll wait here while you and OP post links to 750k "mansions" in desirable cities. Still waiting. :whistle:

Listen dude. You're kind of thick headed.

Yeah, I get it. If you live in an expensive city and want i) fancy house in ii) top neighborhood, and iii) fancy furniture, and iv) nice cars, v) private schools, vi) college funds, and vii) very fancy vacations.. and maybe even a vacation home or two .(and adding in retirement + loan repayment) then sure maybe blowing through 5ook/yr becomes quite easy. But even in a big expensive city (I live in one of the ones you mentioned so I know) 500k is well above the average salary. Its high even among the educated class (engineers, scientists, businesspeople, programmers, many doctors).

Your comments come off as very off-putting.

I don't need to post anything since I'm not trying to convince you. I took it for granted that most people with common sense know that doctors are rich and can very easily afford to live in big houses and drive expensive cars. A simple look at the salaries of physicians shows why all of this is very believable.

I am also related by blood to plenty of doctors in major cities whose annual incomes range anywhere from 160-700K. I frequently visit them for family get-togethers and every single one of them lives in a massive house.

So continue believing whatever you want to believe, but it has no effect on me. I'm just glad I have tangible, hard evidence in the form of real life doctors' houses in LA, New York and Chicago to back up my beliefs instead of made up horror stories on an online forum. Life's gonna be so easy/sweet when I'm out of residency. Peace. I'm out.

For the love of god would a mod please just close this cluster f***. @Ismet @mmmcdowe

Edit - also a ban hammer on rifle would be one way to improve SDN. A good topic for @listener23 's next inservice.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
In after the lock.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.