Is it ok if "helping others" isn't among your reasons for wanting medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The OP maybe idealistic, but who knows, it may end up working for him.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, but you have to do these things called "interviews" where you have to be a compassionate human being.
Suuuure you do. You really believe this? How come I have several family members who were purely driven to become doctors by the prospect of owning a palace with a 5 car garage, swimming pool, 70-inch flat screens in 7 separate rooms, home theaters, indoor basketball/racquetball courts, BMWs/Lexuses/Benzes, etc.

Some people genuinely care about all that other stuff you people supposedly care about, but not all of them do. I'd say at least 50% of them just care about money/lifestyle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, but you have to do these things called "interviews" where you have to be a compassionate human being.

Maybe the OP is skilled enough in interviews where the adcoms won't be able to see through him.

I'm a 2nd year undergrad now and from reading these forums and listening to advice/tips from pre-med counselors at my school, medical students, etc I've gotten the sense that most people have some sort of naturally altruistic/beneficent motivation behind pursuing medicine as a career. Every person I talk to about my career goals tells me that I should love the field and have a genuine interest in the well-being of patients/sick people.

But I've never felt this, still don't feel it while I'm volunteering/shadowing and observing all kinds of patients/cases, and don't think I ever will. Don't get me wrong... I intend on performing a doctor's job to the best of my ability when I reach that stage, but it's more because it's my job and people suffer serious consequences for not doing their jobs properly in any field (litigation, getting fired, being unable to support themselves, etc).

Ever since middle school, I've been astounded by salaries/lifestyle of physicians. Starting around when I was 10 years old, one of my uncles invited us over to his house for Christmas every year. It was an absolute mansion. He also had 3 different Japanese/German cars for himself. I still remember in vivid detail being in awe over seeing his house for the first time and telling him I wanted to be like him when I grew up (he's a pulmonologist by the way, and his wife is a pediatrician). I know/am related to plenty others who live like this, and it's exactly what I want when I'm an adult.

I'm also deeply fascinated by human anatomy/physiology, mechanisms of disease, drugs, etc. Medical science itself is something I've always had great curiosity in, which is why I don't want to pursue other high-paying professions like law or finance (which I don't even think are all that high-paying anyway unless you make it big).

So I guess I'm just asking if there are any others out there who are just like me. How many of you have "your own reasons" for wanting to become a doctor that are unrelated to patient care? And is this ok? Can people like this get into medical school?

Got off Probation somehow, I see. I guess now you're trolling again to get back on probation.

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe the OP is skilled enough in interviews where the adcoms won't be able to see through him.
No skill needed at all. On these forums, you folks grossly exaggerate how difficult it is to get into medical school and thus become a doctor. As long as your stats are around the average of your target schools, you should get several interview invites. All you need is for one of those to materialize into an acceptance and you're on your way.

Except for true nutjobs, nobody suffers from rejections at every school they interview at. As long as you get interviews, which are solely decided based on what you look like on paper, you should get in.

Got off Probation somehow, I see. I guess now you're trolling again to get back on probation.
Trolling? I guess I never considered asking questions that are not in violation of a single one of SDN's terms of service to be trolling. Interesting definition of the word you have.

No skill needed at all. On these forums, you folks grossly exaggerate how difficult it is to get into medical school and thus become a doctor. As long as your stats are around the average of your target schools, you should get several interview invites. All you need is for one of those to materialize into an acceptance and you're on your way.

Except for true nutjobs, nobody suffers from rejections at every school they interview at. As long as you get interviews, which are solely decided based on what you look like on paper, you should get in.

You couldn't be any more wrong.

Reactions: 1 user

Yes, you're on your way, to disliking medical school, hating residency, despising practice, and always being pissed off because someone else has more money than you. Have fun!

Reactions: 3 users
Yes, you're on your way, to disliking medical school, hating residency, despising practice, and always being pissed off because someone else has more money than you. Have fun!
Knowing that I'm going to be filthy rich and have more money than over 99% of this world all because I can read textbooks and put down marks on a piece of paper makes me the happiest man in the world. Life's gonna be so awesome, and I'll enjoy every second of it.

Knowing that I'm going to be filthy rich and have more money than over 99% of this world all because I can read textbooks and put down marks on a piece of paper makes me the happiest man in the world. Life's gonna be so awesome, and I'll enjoy every second of it.

Yep, exactly, enjoy!

Reactions: 1 users
And why is that? Lawyers, stock brokers and people in several other professions can be motivated solely by financial reasons. What's wrong with that mentality in medicine? And what other possible motivations are there? In the end, there's a finite number of reasons to pursue any field. I said I'm also interested in medical science as well.

:smack::smack::smack:

Ever since middle school, I've been astounded by salaries/lifestyle of physicians. Starting around when I was 10 years old, one of my uncles invited us over to his house for Christmas every year. It was an absolute mansion. He also had 3 different Japanese/German cars for himself. I still remember in vivid detail being in awe over seeing his house for the first time and telling him I wanted to be like him when I grew up (he's a pulmonologist by the way, and his wife is a pediatrician). I know/am related to plenty others who live like this, and it's exactly what I want when I'm an adult.

:smack:

This is so naive and wrong, it's sad. Please, if you are going to in medicine because you want an "absolute mansion" and 3 different cars...don't. Start gunning for i-banking NOW.

Maybe in some parts of the country, this lifestyle is still possible for physicians -- I'm referring mainly to godforsaken rural communities in the middle of nowhere, where the cost of living is rock-bottom anyway. But if you live on the coasts (I've lived on both), or in any major city, good luck -- if you are an MD in Chicago, NY, San Francisco, Boston etc, you won't even be able to afford the nicer suburbs.

You need to give up on this dream of luxury and riches, if you are going to be happy as a physician.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well if the OP's family can pay off his medical school loans, he wouldn't be in that bad of a position when he starts earning 200-500 k.

Well if the OP's family can pay off his medical school loans, he wouldn't be in that bad of a position when he starts earning 200-500 k.

:laugh:

You undergrads have no idea how much LIVING costs. 500k becomes pocket change if you live in a major city and have a family to support.

For more of your trolling pleasure, please see rifle's other threads (3 of which are closed):

Easy to find part time job after residency?
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/easy-to-find-part-time-job-after-residency.1058984/

Does it look bad if you've never had a job?
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/does-it-look-bad-if-youve-never-had-a-job.1059430/

Is patient exposure necessary during clinical volunteering?
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...cessary-during-clinical-volunteering.1061182/

What are your thoughts on cheating on an exam?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/what-are-your-thoughts-on-cheating-on-an-exam.1063376/

Receiving mediocre/subpar evaluations in rotations you don't care about

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ons-in-rotations-you-dont-care-about.1063812/

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
pulmonologist + pediatrician isn't exactly mansion status
If he's anything like Rifle, he's probably bronching everybody to increase his reimbursement.

This alone was worth the price of admission:

stolen-pony.jpg

I'd rather have a good physician taking care of me who doesn't care about helping others but does a good job because of the money that comes from it than a bad physician who doesn't care about the money and only cares about helping others. Just like I don't care if my good plumber is only in it for the money and not for the love of toilet. Good luck OP. Inb4 why not both.

Yeah, except unlike your plumber, your doctor will do a significant portion of his care at a hospital for patients who can't pay/have no insurance/low reimbursement insurance, etc.

Yup that's exactly what medicine encompasses, including radiology and pathology. :slap::smack:

@rifle4802

What do you think will make you happy? Will it be the house and the flat screens and the cars? Will it be the 40 hours a week spent gaming?

:smack:

This is so naive and wrong, it's sad. Please, if you are going to in medicine because you want an "absolute mansion" and 3 different cars...don't. Start gunning for i-banking NOW.

Maybe in some parts of the country, this lifestyle is still possible for physicians -- I'm referring mainly to godforsaken rural communities in the middle of nowhere, where the cost of living is rock-bottom anyway. But if you live on the coasts (I've lived on both), or in any major city, good luck -- if you are an MD in Chicago, NY, San Francisco, Boston etc, you won't even be able to afford the nicer suburbs.

You need to give up on this dream of luxury and riches, if you are going to be happy as a physician.
Serious question - do you really believe what you just wrote? I live in LA and what you posted is just so disturbingly wrong.

Seriously, "won't even be able to afford the nicer suburbs." :laugh:

Living in LA and having plenty of doctor family members here, in New York, and in Chicago who are living like kings suggests otherwise.

Your typical run-of-the-mill I-banker will be working like a slave for 90-100+ hours/week just to barely clear six figures. Not a good field to go into if you want guaranteed big money and an easy ass lifestyle (what I'm aiming for).

Trolling? I guess I never considered asking questions that are not in violation of a single one of SDN's terms of service to be trolling. Interesting definition of the word you have.
And yet your were put on probation for this....The mods seem to disagree with you.

@Ismet you know what needs to be done here………………………………………..

pls save us. pls

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Serious question - do you really believe what you just wrote? I live in LA and what you posted is just so disturbingly wrong.

Seriously, "won't even be able to afford the nicer suburbs." :laugh:

Living in LA and having plenty of doctor family members here, in New York, and in Chicago who are living like kings suggests otherwise.

Your typical run-of-the-mill I-banker will be working like a slave for 90-100+ hours/week just to barely clear six figures. Not a good field to go into if you want guaranteed big money and an easy ass lifestyle (what I'm aiming for).

Someone please ban this guy.

Yup that's exactly what medicine encompasses, including radiology and pathology. :slap::smack:
That's exactly what getting into medical school, the first step in having a career in medicine, encompasses. Get good grades and study for the MCAT - that's 95% of your application right there.

That's all 1st and 2nd year of medical school encompasses.That's all the USMLE Step 1 encompasses as well, and Step 1 is pretty much the primary determinant of your specialty. Sorry, but that's how it works.

See #s 2, 9, and 11 of the terms of service.
I've read them several times and haven't broken any of them. Quite frankly, the people who come into my threads baselessly whining about trolling and banning are the ones derailing/going off topic, which is in violation of this forum's TOS.

How about this - if you can't meaningfully contribute to my threads, don't read them/post in them? It seems simple enough to me.

OMG, pocket change.

Like it or not, it's the truth. Wait until you see how much rent costs in big cities, esp if you have a wife/kids and can no longer live like a bachelor college student. Then wait until you realize you live in a **** school district, and your kids have to go to private school. 500k in LA, SF, NY, or Chicago is nothing. It leaves your pocket as fast as it rolls in. You'll see.

I got a chuckle out of "loans."
I didn't realize that having an income that places you in the >99th percentile of all earners wasn't super rich. That's pretty funny.
The definition of being rich for most Americans is having a net worth like Michael Bloomberg or Bill Gate (hyperbole here). But once they visit Zimbabwe they realize even the Americans that are living on the Tax Payer dough is rich.

Yes I am serious. People on this site are unbelievably naive.

So are you trying to tell me, lets says hypothetically, I have no med school loans before i start residency, and I eventually may 500 k, that it will not be enough for living expenses?

That's exactly what getting into medical school, the first step in having a career in medicine, encompasses. Get good grades and study for the MCAT - that's 95% of your application right there.

That's all 1st and 2nd year of medical school encompasses.That's all the USMLE Step 1 encompasses as well, and Step 1 is pretty much the primary determinant of your specialty. Sorry, but that's how it works.

WRONG. Your Step 1 can only CLOSE doors. It doesn't determine your specialty. Your MS-3 grades are even more important and are heavily scrutinized.

So are you trying to tell me, lets says hypothetically, I have no med school loans before i start residency, and I eventually may 500 k, that it will not be enough for living expenses?

Depends on if you are single or not. If you have kids, you are the primary breadwinner, and you live in an expensive place -- 500k will make you solidly middle class. You won't be rolling in dough. Obviously, completely different story if you are single for many years after getting out of residency.

@Ismet THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN AND WE ARE BEGGING FOR YOUR MERCY.

AND LEAD US NOT INTO TEMPTATION
BUT DELIVER US FROM EVIL

FOR THINE IS THE KINGDOM, THE POWER, AND THE GLORY,
FOR EVER AND EVER.

AMEN.

Like it or not, it's the truth. Wait until you see how much rent costs in big cities, esp if you have a wife/kids and can no longer live like a bachelor college student. Then wait until you realize you live in a **** school district, and your kids have to go to private school. 500k in LA, SF, NY, or Chicago is nothing. It leaves your pocket as fast as it rolls in. You'll see.
Dude...how sheltered was your childhood? :confused:

You CANNOT be serious, please tell me you're not serious so that I don't fling a fist through my computer monitor.

Depends on if you are single or not. If you have kids, you are the primary breadwinner, and you live in an expensive place -- 500k will make you solidly middle class. You won't be rolling in dough. Obviously, completely different story if you are single for many years after getting out of residency.

This is all hypothetical...

I finish med school with no loans( age 25)
I go to residency for a specialty(5 years) (age 30)
I get married at lets say age 28-30
I start job make 200-400 k starting or in a few years
I do not see how that is not enough with solid financial skills, and your wife may work too.

500k puts makes you "solidly middle class." I've heard it all now.

No need to continue this discussion. I'm out.

This is all hypothetical...

I finish med school with no loans( age 25)
I go to residency for a specialty(5 years) (age 30)
I get married at lets say age 28-30
I start job make 200-400 k starting or in a few years
I do not see how that is not enough with solid financial skills, and your wife may work too.

Obviously you will have enough money to put food on the table, drive a Honda, take reasonable domestic vacations, and sign your kid up for little league. But if you think you are going to own a mansion and 3 Porsches on 400k...dream on.

Obviously you will have enough money to put food on the table, drive a Honda, take reasonable domestic vacations, and sign your kid up for little league. But if you think you are going to own a mansion and 3 Porsches on 400k...dream on.

Did I ever claim that?

Dude...how sheltered was your childhood? :confused:

You CANNOT be serious, please tell me you're not serious so that I don't fling a fist through my computer monitor.

Actually, opposite of sheltered. I grew up smack dab in the middle of a major city. You guys do not realize how f***ing expensive it is to live in certain places.

500k will only put someone in the middle class in big cities assuming that person has no student loan...really? Let's say you only get 50% of that income (net pay), that is 21k/month...and that put you in the middle class. Wow!

Actually, opposite of sheltered. I grew up smack dab in the middle of a major city. You guys do not realize how f***ing expensive it is to live in certain places.

I lived in a city, maybe there is something you lack - financial prudence.

500k will only put someone in the middle class in big cities assuming that person has no student loan...really? Let's say you only get 50% of that income (net pay), that is 21k/month...and that put you in the middle class. Wow!
Don't listen to any of that. I know several physicians in major cities all across the country and they're all living like royalty.

250-500K+ will absolutely buy you a massive house and fancy cars no matter which city you're in.

Status
Not open for further replies.