Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No secondary either :(. Hope my turn comes soon.

Members don't see this ad.

Quick reminder, in the past few years people have not gotten a secondary or II even though the school had sent them out. I called 3 weeks after submitting my primary only to find out they had sent me an II.

If it has been 3 weeks since you submitted your primary and received no response then call them. Do not call them if it has been 1 or 2 weeks.

Issues are resolved! Account completed and working on secondary now.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Happy to see only three essays.....Does anybody know if it makes a difference if one of my letter writers is an Alumni?

Can someone post the secondary questions please?

i cant next/save the last disclosure. same problem anyone?

Describe your motivation for applying to KCU’s College of Osteopathic Medicine (specifically our institution).
Describe a time when you had to prioritize multiple obligations in order to be successful.
Describe a time when you experienced failure. What did you learn about yourself from this experience?

Each is 2500 characters

Quick reminder, in the past few years people have not gotten a secondary or II even though the school had sent them out. I called 3 weeks after submitting my primary only to find out they had sent me an II.

If it has been 3 weeks since you submitted your primary and received no response then call them. Do not call them if it has been 1 or 2 weeks.
Wait, so you received an II without submitting a secondary?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing yet. Hoping for something soon! Is this the around the time KCU generally hands out secondaries?

how is KCU in term of education compared to AZCOM and CCOM

Honestly I've heard good things about all 3 of those schools.

I've heard a few bad things about AZCOM rotation sites... but honestly all DO schools could probably have better rotation sites from what I've been reading.

Also, CCOM is the most difficult DO school to get into stat wise... at least from the 2014 entering class averages.

Reactions: 1 users
For those of you who already got your secondaries, when did you get the "primary received" email?

For those of you who already got your secondaries, when did you get the "primary received" email?
I actually never got a "primary received" email, but just got a secondary yesterday.

how is KCU in term of education compared to AZCOM and CCOM

Preclinical ed: kcu may have a slight upper hand due to having Drs. Dubin and Hahn implement the new curriculum which sent TCOM and RVUCOM to the top in terms of board scores.

Clinical ed (3rd and 4th): probably the same. KCU has solid rotation sites across different states. We can rotate a U of Kansas medical center and UMKC (MD schools) but limited slots. We can rotate at Children's Mercy as well which I've heard to be a top ranking peds hospital.

Anyone else still waiting on the secondary invite? I've gotten the two previous emails from them.

I haven't received one either. It will come.. And if it doesn't by Wednesday of next week, I'm gonna call :)

Idk if it's been states but since orientation is next week for us, admin may not be at full speed yet in sending out secondaries. So hang in there! We rootin for ya.

Finally got this secondary.

Secondary! It asks if we're interested in research, is my answer of 'no' going to negatively effect my app?

Secondary! It asks if we're interested in research, is my answer of 'no' going to negatively effect my app?

I don't think so so as Long as you back up your reasoning well. I would say you should be aware that research is an absolute essential in forwarding the field of medicine in an interview.

I don't think so so as Long as you back up your reasoning well. I would say you should be aware that research is an absolute essential in forwarding the field of medicine in an interview.
I have no problem with research, especially if it was a topic I'm interested in. My concern is selecting 'yes' with no prior history of research.

I have no problem with research, especially if it was a topic I'm interested in. My concern is selecting 'yes' with no prior history of research.

Understandable. If it's an interest you have in terms of intending to do some in the future then I select no and explain as such.

How up to date is the fact sheet on KCUs website? It says that according to the current student profile, the MCAT average is 26. Doesn't sound right to me.

For the top 3 schools besides KCU questions, is that required to be filled out? Seems like it would be a disadvantage, especially if someone from OOS applies and one of their top 3 besides KCU is a state school.

been verified since June. Is it safe to say I was screened out?
cGPA and sGPA:3.2 (didn't quite make the 3.25 cut)
MCAT: 10/9/10

I've heard that their pre-screen is pretty strict. Might be worth it to shoot them an email to find out for sure.

they talk about continuity of education...does this mean if you did 4 years straight of undergrad? I assume so but I didn't know if they referred like 4 years of undergrad followed by a gap year.

I have a 3.18 sgpa and 30 mcat and still got a secondary

I got secondary with cGPA 3.2 and sGPA 3.3 with a lower MCAT score. So I doubt your pre-screened out for the sceondary. As for the II, I am still kinda nervous I'll be screened out but we will see.

I got verified in June. still waiting too...

The prescreen is 3.25 cGPA, 3.25 sGPA, and 24 MCAT with no less than 7 in each subsection. Usually if you meet 2 out of 3 requirements they will send you a secondary.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

For the top 3 schools besides KCU questions, is that required to be filled out? Seems like it would be a disadvantage, especially if someone from OOS applies and one of their top 3 besides KCU is a state school.

Is that why schools ask where else you've applied? I've always wondered.

I got the secondary today. Aacomas was verified June 24, stats: 3.7/505/CA resident

Has your education been continuous except for holidays and summer breaks?*
Yes
No
If no, please provide an explanation below:

^^^

Err, what do I do about this question? Do I explain what I have done during my gap years, or why I have been out of school for 3 years?