Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys,
may be a dumb question BUT
i got an interview at KCUMB and I filled out the campus selection form where I clicked kansas city (on the last day too - for some reason their emails end up in my promotions folder INCLUDING THE INTERVIEW INVITE)
if my email doesn't say Joplin anywhere, should I assume I received it for the Kansas City campus?

All interviews for both sites take place in KC.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

All interviews for both sites take place in KC.

so how do we know which site are we interviewing for? Or do they put you in wherever they think you'll be a better fit?

so how do we know which site are we interviewing for? Or do they put you in wherever they think you'll be a better fit?

@AlteredScale may have a better explanation, but how I understand the process is you are interviewing for the school. Campus placement happens based upon your preference after acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)

According to Patti Harper today at the interview, she said that if you chose KC (or Joplin), you are interviewing for that site and will go there when accepted. If you chose either, Admissions will decide for you.

I'm trying to schedule my flight home. would a flight at 6:10 pm be cutting it too close. I know it says to not schedule a flight out before 6 pm but I wanted to ask those who have flown out what they think? I am interviewing on a Thursday if that helps any

I'm trying to schedule my flight home. would a flight at 6:10 pm be cutting it too close. I know it says to not schedule a flight out before 6 pm but I wanted to ask those who have flown out what they think? I am interviewing on a Thursday if that helps any

You should be fine most things for interview day end at around 4pm and it takes about 30-40 minutes to get back to the airport.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I need to relay this story to you all.. the hospitality at this school is unbelievable. I interviewed here today (didnt think it went too well in all honesty, have been sick all week including today and it was hard for my mind to focus). Anyway, my interview ended at 3 and my flight home is at 6:10. Had to go back to my hotel to get my bags before quickly going to the airport. The shuttle i had planned to 816 took over an our to come get me.. so I called an uber but he took another 20 mins or so (idk i didnt wait too long, was in a massive hurry at this point). I was standing at a 7/11 across the street from the school waiting for whichever of my rides came first and evidently this 7/11 has a reputation for not being so safe (?). A security guard from the school came and talked to me about how it wasnt the safest of places to stand in my suit or whatever and if i was interested in crossing the street to the school side. I told him that i had agreed to meet my rides at this 7/11 and i was so late to the airport i didnt want to confuse things. Ultimately, the Campus Director saw me there at the 7/11 and talking to the security and he came out of his own office to talk to me. He probably saw me stressing hard and whatnot and I told him my situation. He personally offered to drive me to my hotel to get my bags then quickly to the airport where i made it just in time! I could see his sincere concern for me and wanted to make sure I got everything sorted. Anyways, thanks to Jim for all the help because i most certainly would have missed my flight without him. And thanks to KCUMB for the open arms. If by chance i did not bomb the interview I'll certainly be going here.

Reactions: 22 users
Hi
can someone please send me the link that describes what type of interviews occur at KCU? I remember I found it on their website before, but i cant find it on the new website...is it just a 30 minute 1 on 1 interview with a faculty? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi
can someone please send me the link that describes what type of interviews occur at KCU? I remember I found it on their website before, but i cant find it on the new website...is it just a 30 minute 1 on 1 interview with a faculty? Thank you.

About a 30 min one on one or two on one interview.

Thank you for the help. I read online it says the interview is partial blind? Do the interviewers only know your secondary essays but not GPA, MCAT, ECs and personal statement essay? Thank you

Exactly. Only your secondary.

Reactions: 2 users
I have an interview here in a couple weeks. I have family and KC and an uncle who owns a gutter company there and he offered me a place to live rent free if I were to be accepted! Hopefully that gets me a little preference for the KC campus.

Hi guys,

Sorry beforehand, but I'm confused as heck right now. This is my first interview and kcumb is my first choice for DO schools and I'm not really sure what to expect. But, with this partial blind interview thing, how does this work? How does questioning happen if the interviewer doesn't know about what you did in the past, or your marks or anything to question you about?

Also, is there a link where I can find out what to expect for the interview day? The faq page they gave in the email didn't lead me to anything, and the instructions just said to meet up at the place at 10am since I chose an afternoon shift. Thanks

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Sorry beforehand, but I'm confused as heck right now. This is my first interview and kcumb is my first choice for DO schools and I'm not really sure what to expect. But, with this partial blind interview thing, how does this work? How does questioning happen if the interviewer doesn't know about what you did in the past, or your marks or anything to question you about?

Thanks

As others have said, interviewers have access to your secondary so they may base questions off of that. Ethics questions are also possibility and of course be able to answer questions like "Why medicine, why DO, why KCUMB?" I'd recommend checking the sdn interview feedback section for more ideas.

The interview will be pretty relaxed and during my interview day I felt the admissions staff, student ambassadors, and even the random students I ran across did a good job of keeping me at ease.

Reactions: 3 users
As others have said, interviewers have access to your secondary so they may base questions off of that. Ethics questions are also possibility and of course be able to answer questions like "Why medicine, why DO, why KCUMB?" I'd recommend checking the sdn interview feedback section for more ideas.

The interview will be pretty relaxed and during my interview day I felt the admissions staff, student ambassadors, and even the random students I ran across did a good job of keeping me at ease.
Thanks for your reply!

Hi guys,

Also, is there a link where I can find out what to expect for the interview day? The faq page they gave in the email didn't lead me to anything, and the instructions just said to meet up at the place at 10am since I chose an afternoon shift. Thanks

Thanks

Think of this interview as a casual talk with your boss at work. I personally didn't get any ethics questions, neither did the other interviewees I spoke with.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Thanks for your reply!

I didn't get any ethics questions either but honestly you should do the research anyway. It may change your views.

You should prepare for interviews by answering open ended questions. They could be anything. "What's your favorite color and what makes that color so significant to you?" If you can answer questions like those "thinking on your feet" you'll be fine.

Do you need to bring anything to the interview? Other than an id? Meaning do you need to bring a resume? Or anything they may have emailed you?

Do you need to bring anything to the interview? Other than an id? Meaning do you need to bring a resume? Or anything they may have emailed you?

Just being yourself and that's good enough. Your resume is your primary and secondary application. :)

*patiently waiting for the complete email*

giphy.gif

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone else interview on Tuesday?? Hella nervous lol

Reactions: 1 users
Canceling my interview here - good luck guys and hope one of y'all get it!

I read the last year thread and I thought this school was a extreme long shot but I got and interview for it and I'm beyond excited

Reactions: 3 users
I'm at 5 weeks since my application was complete and have heard nothing. Should I call and ask about my application or just assume 6 weeks is the timeline as some people have said LizzyM~65. Just curious if I'm most likely on hold or not. Thanks!

I'm at 5 weeks since my application was complete and have heard nothing. Should I call and ask about my application or just assume 6 weeks is the timeline as some people have said LizzyM~65. Just curious if I'm most likely on hold or not. Thanks!

You submitted around the time when they received the bulk of their secondaries. I have a similar LizzyM and already interviewed. That being said they screen secondaries pretty well to see if you would be a good fit. IMO the interview is to confirm what they think about you based on your secondary.

You submitted around the time when they received the bulk of their secondaries. I have a similar LizzyM and already interviewed. That being said they screen secondaries pretty well to see if you would be a good fit. IMO the interview is to confirm what they think about you based on your secondary.

So should I call to figure out where I stand? Just don't know how long I should wait before expecting to hear something.

good luck everyone interviewing soon!

here are some of my post-interview thoughts after last week. please keep in mind that many of these are my opinions only and everyone's experiences and impressions will vary.

overview of interview day:
- arrive and park before obtaining name tags in admin building and being seated in conference room.
- brief introduction and some general information from staff and administrators.
- video call from dean of Joplin campus, which was also very brief and seemed somewhat of a formality.
- student ambassadors filed in and answered some questions from students.
- students split into multiple tour groups (everyone's free to choose).
- campus tour by student ambassadors, who also answered questions along the way.
- lunch.
- very very brief welcome by the dean and assistant dean, who touched upon the curriculum a bit.
- interviews, which were generally one-on-one and open file with regards to the secondary.
- white coat fitting and post-interview survey.

pros:
- pretty low stress and laid back day, down to the administrators and faculty really seeming almost casual.
- nice conversational interview portion, which mostly hinges upon discussion of activities and life experiences mentioned in the secondary.
- great established program, 100 years this year.
- high board scores and match rates.
- student ambassadors were very approachable, transparent, and eager to assist in any way they could.
- amazing lunch! steamed salmon with mango salsa, broccolini, salad, various desserts (I recommend the lemon pie -- really delicious).
- school seems to really want to keep improving and updating facilities for students, and student ambassadors said that administration is very open to addressing student concerns.
- surrounding city very nice with lots to do (museum, good food, nightlife etc.)

concerns:
- having interviewed at a few other schools, the informality of the day surprised me a little. the introduction at the beginning of the day was not informative at all, and it felt like the welcome from the dean of the Joplin campus as well as "presentation" by the administrators were thrown together last-minute. I wasn't the biggest fan of the multiple times our presenter stopped, looked around, and said "hm.. what else should I talk about?"
- following that, the dean and assistant dean also didn't give much information on the school or curriculum, just that "the curriculum goes over the material twice to better prepare for boards."
- quite a large class size at 270 students.
- each interviewer has multiple students who go one after the other, so there is a good amount of waiting time if you're not the first in that interview group. kinda anxiety-inducing to sit around and wait for the interview to loom.
- some facilities seemed a bit dated because of the history of the school, but not too big a deal.

Reactions: 7 users

here are some of my post-interview thoughts after last week. please keep in mind that many of these are my opinions only and everyone's experiences and impressions will vary.

- arrive and park before obtaining name tags in admin building and being seated in conference room.
- brief introduction and some general information from staff and administrators.
- video call from dean of Joplin campus, which was also very brief and seemed somewhat of a formality.
- campus tour by student ambassadors, who also answered questions along the way.
- lunch.
- very very brief welcome by the dean and assistant dean, who touched upon the curriculum a bit.
- interviews, which were generally one-on-one and open file with regards to the secondary.

pros:
- pretty low stress and laid back day, down to the administrators and faculty really seeming almost casual.
- nice conversational interview portion, which mostly hinges upon discussion of activities and life experiences mentioned in the secondary.
- student ambassadors were very approachable, transparent, and eager to assist in any way they could.
- amazing lunch! steamed salmon with mango salsa, broccolini, salad, various desserts (I recommend the lemon pie -- really delicious).
- school seems to really want to keep improving and updating facilities for students, and student ambassadors said that administration is very open to addressing student concerns.
- surrounding city very nice with lots to do (museum, good food, nightlife etc.)

concerns:
- having interviewed at a few other schools, the informality of the day surprised me a little. the introduction at the beginning of the day was not informative at all, and it felt like the welcome from the dean of the Joplin campus as well as "presentation" by the administrators were thrown together last-minute. I wasn't the biggest fan of the multiple times our presenter stopped, looked around, and said "hm.. what else should I talk about?"
- following that, the dean and assistant dean also didn't give much information on the school or curriculum, just that "the curriculum goes over the material twice to better prepare for boards."
- each interviewer has multiple students who go one after the other, so there is a good amount of waiting time if you're not the first in that interview group. kinda anxiety-inducing to sit around and wait for the interview to loom.
- some facilities seemed a bit dated because of the history of the school, but not too big a deal.
Wow this is awesome! Interviewing here on October 14th, this definitely made me super excited!

- lunch.

pros:

concerns:

Thanks for the feedback!! Seeing you guys wait around for the interview I can tell y'all get nervous and I would be too.

In terms of the curriculum Dr Johnston is the interim dean and so I think his extent of knowledge as to how the curriculum is formatted is probably a little different compared to our previous Dean who helped spearhead the actual curriculum back when he worked at TCOM and RVU.

Hopefully you were able to give this feedback on the survey after the interview so that they can perhaps adjust things to make an even better experience!

anyone book a room at the comfort inn hotel, it seems to be the most comfortable since it is less than a mile away from campus, or are their better suggestions?

anyone book a room at the comfort inn hotel, it seems to be the most comfortable since it is less than a mile away from campus, or are their better suggestions?

I stayed there. It was pretty decent. Complimentary breakfast!

- lunch.

pros:

concerns:

This is spot on! I'll add some of my own thoughts for some more variety.

Pros:
- Felt more like a small campus as opposed to a couple of buildings near each other (I came from a big ass UG)
- Nice facilities and friendly students/faculty, nothing but good vibes from the students
- Strong pre-clinical curriculum
- Kansas City is dope

Cons:
- Super disappointed with the gym, it's one small room with a squat rack, treadmills and free weights but didn't look like it could support 540+
- Interview day was a big disorganized, no formal presentations or materials were given
- They emphasized the new Joplin school a bit too much, it seemed like they were trying to sell the new campus more than focus on current one you were in

This is spot on! I'll add some of my own thoughts for some more variety.

Pros:
- Felt more like a small campus as opposed to a couple of buildings near each other (I came from a big ass UG)
- Nice facilities and friendly students/faculty, nothing but good vibes from the students
- Strong pre-clinical curriculum
- Kansas City is dope

Cons:
- Super disappointed with the gym, it's one small room with a squat rack, treadmills and free weights but didn't look like it could support 540+
- Interview day was a big disorganized, no formal presentations or materials were given
- They emphasized the new Joplin school a bit too much, it seemed like they were trying to sell the new campus more than focus on current one you were in

...although this gym in the Downtown area called Onelife Fitness is dope!

Oh nice! Ill probably do the same. Did you walk to the interview or you took a cab? Also was there a shuttle from the airport to the hotel?

My parents came with me so they drove me around. You can easily walk but if I was by myself I would get a cab or an uber. I don't think there is a shuttle though.

Oh nice! Ill probably do the same. Did you walk to the interview or you took a cab? Also was there a shuttle from the airport to the hotel?

I stayed in the Downtown area, and Uber was super reliable during the morning of the interview. Also, if you get lucky, your Uber driver may have a classy whip and will make you look boss af in your suit!