Lake Erie - Seton Hill (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
An acceptance at LECOM is an acceptance at LECOM. If you interview at Erie or Seton Hill, you rank the pathway (LDP, DSP, PBL-Erie, PBL-SH, PCSP, etc) you want at the interview and supposedly it has no effect on their decision (according to the recruiter/adcom member) but who knows. If your first choice is full they accept you into your second, etc, but you can still request to hold your seat and be put on the waitlist for your primary pathway (if you are accepted into an Erie pathway).

There is no good way to be sure how many spots are left without asking them, which usually happens at the interview. I can say that usually SH has had seats until around March or April, whereas Erie tends to get full around late Feb/early Mar, but this varies every year. It really depends on how many people withdraw their acceptance/don't pay their deposit.

Thanks for the info! I was wondering because if a bunch of people interviewing at Erie put Seton Hill as their first choice that means filled up Seton Hill seats) I am just wondering because I have a late SH interview (late Feb) so Im wondering if the class will be at capacity by then. Thank you though!

Members don't see this ad.

I put LECOM E as my first choice, but I want LECOM SH now considering it's all PBL. Does it matter that I put Erie as first preference on my secondary app?

Can lecom students buy some sort of meal plan through the seton hill cafeteria?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if we are scheduled for an interview, if we can move it to the other campus? I'm having some family issues, and would like to move my interview to the Seton Hill campus since it's closer to home.

Got waitlisted here on 12/5 after my 11/5 interview.... really liked the PBL format so I'm pretty bummed. Anyone know how often they accept students off the wait list?

Can lecom students buy some sort of meal plan through the seton hill cafeteria?

Yea it's usually 4.75 or something per lunch. You can get a card for 100 meals or smth or you can get individually

Reactions: 1 user
Yea it's usually 4.75 or something per lunch. You can get a card for 100 meals or smth or you can get individually

Thank you!

Also, do you know if there is a shuttle that runs from one of the places that students stay in to lecom? I think "loft"?

Thank you!

Also, do you know if there is a shuttle that runs from one of the places that students stay in to lecom? I think "loft"?

There is a shuttle which runs at specific time from certain spots in downtown. I am not aware of any lecom student using it or if it runs from the apartment. Everyone has a car but if you don't you can always hitch a ride with someone and pay for gas

I was recently waitlisted here, does anybody know what the percentage is of students taken off the waitlist and given an acceptance? And how soon we could potentially be taken off?

Interview coming up on Feb 18th at SH , anyone else?

I was recently waitlisted here, does anybody know what the percentage is of students taken off the waitlist and given an acceptance? And how soon we could potentially be taken off?
I would also like to know this

Tell me how you guys like the campus. I got accepted at LECOM and decided to go to Seton Hill because of the PBL but I have never been there and live too far away to visit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tell me how you guys like the campus. I got accepted at LECOM and decided to go to Seton Hill because of the PBL but I have never been there and live too far away to visit.

I loved the campus when I visited/interviewed and the fact that it is on the Seton Hill undergraduate campus gave it a real relaxed feel. It has that well established comfortable feeling and you can use the dining facilities, gym, library etc of the Seton Hill campus as well as the LECOM areas/basement library. I also liked the feel of Greensburg and the surrounding areas. The few students I met from LECOM while there seemed to really love the place, from the small sample size n=6. The professors from the interview and staff also seem to like the area, I didn't feel/detect any warning signs to avoid the place.

Reactions: 1 users

If you are used to a larger university campus with an active downtown lifestyle you may have some getting used to. It was a very quiet town, with few distractions which all of the students (that I talked to ~12) and all of the faculty (~5) liked. They said its small so you get to know everybody and you can focus on studying, which I was a proponent of. After all, it is medical school. The town is pretty hilly (get your brakes checked before you come) and the weather was pretty rough so if your not used to it snowing sideways in the winter, get ready.

All in all I loved the campus, the life, faculty, students etc. I am coming from a larger town and university but I realize the benefits and am going to try to adapt for the best.

If you are used to a larger university campus with an active downtown lifestyle you may have some getting used to. It was a very quiet town, with few distractions which all of the students (that I talked to ~12) and all of the faculty (~5) liked. They said its small so you get to know everybody and you can focus on studying, which I was a proponent of. After all, it is medical school. The town is pretty hilly (get your brakes checked before you come) and the weather was pretty rough so if your not used to it snowing sideways in the winter, get ready.

All in all I loved the campus, the life, faculty, students etc. I am coming from a larger town and university but I realize the benefits and am going to try to adapt for the best.
Sounds great to me. I live in a small university town right now and the weather sucks as well. I heard that Erie gets a lot more snow then Greensburg so at least thats something to be grateful for. Thanks for the info from the both of you.

Recently interviewed. LECOM does have great pass rates on comlex exams and students go to good residencies HOWEVER I really wonder why there is so much hate on SDN/ other forums towards LECOM. Seems like a decent school considering the price of tuition??

Recently interviewed. LECOM does have great pass rates on comlex exams and students go to good residencies HOWEVER I really wonder why there is so much hate on SDN/ other forums towards LECOM. Seems like a decent school considering the price of tuition??

Most of the hate comes from people who can't handle simple expectations of adults- for instance dressing professionally. Every school has an underbelly, but complaining about a dress code? Give me a break, I've had to dress well for work for years and a dress code in school trains young doctors to not look as slovenly as undergrads. Honestly- you are there to learn medicine and nothing else! Follow the rules and become a good doc. I'm amazed at how many people complain about lecom when the students consistently perform well and the tuition is completely reasonable.

Every school will have personalities, bizarre professors, odd policies, and a few disgruntled students. The school is a vehicle designed to get you somewhere. If you don't like it, don't apply! Otherwise, settle in and ace your boards

Withdrew my application and canceled my interview for 3/25 this morning . Good luck to whomever gets an invitation to fill the empty slot!

Last edited:
How long is the turnaround for post interview? Wish it was online, checking the mail everyday is nervewracking haha

Hi! Sorry for all of the questions! I interviewed 2/25. I checked online portal today and it said the admissions committee has already made a decision on your application you will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days. I havent received mail from them yet but I was just wondering if you are accepted would they say accepted on the the portal pre mail delivery? Does this mean I didnt get in or do they put that status for all decision types post interview?

Hi! Sorry for all of the questions! I interviewed 2/25. I checked online portal today and it said the admissions committee has already made a decision on your application you will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days. I havent received mail from them yet but I was just wondering if you are accepted would they say accepted on the the portal pre mail delivery? Does this mean I didnt get in or do they put that status for all decision types post interview?
They put that status for all decisions. I was accepted and that was my status.

Hi everyone,

I've recently been accepted by both LECOM-SH and Touro-Middletown, but I have a tough time making a decision on where to put my deposit... I'm from NY and I want to practice in the area in the future, so i'm leaning more towards Touro. However, LECOM is cheaper and more established...but I do have a few questions about LECOM that still bothers me...
1. being a satellite campus at SH, are you guys worried about not getting enough resources? (like the fact that we would have no access to cadavers unlike those at the Erie campus?)
2. are you bothered by the fact that we need to coordinate our own 3rd and 4th year rotations..? (Wouldn't that be stressful having to student for step 1 and dealing with these during 2nd year?)
3. Being as established as LECOM, just wondering why they still don't have rotation sites set up for the students...
4. There are some rumors online that said the quality of professors at SH isn't that great, I'm just worried that I won't be able to get much help if i need it...

One last question, if LECOM had the same tuition as other schools, will you still pick it??

Thanks everyone for your comments. I am just trying to make the best decision I could for the next 4 yrs... :shrug:

...2. are you bothered by the fact that we need to coordinate our own 3rd and 4th year rotations..? (Wouldn't that be stressful having to student for step 1 and dealing with these during 2nd year?)
3. Being as established as LECOM, just wondering why they still don't have rotation sites set up for the students...

To clarify some of these:

2. Understanding how this works was confusing for me as well, as I saw conflicting info online and posted by others. Now I actually see how it works:

The student body is responsible for setting up their rotations. What this means is that the student body president and VP of your class in SH will work with the student body president and VP of the same year class in Erie, and they will divide up rotations (or an algorithm will do it for them) based on a student survey that everyone (at Erie & SH) fills out. LECOM has a set of core rotations for all of its students. It is up to you to fill out a survey, in which you can rank 13's (clinical sites where you can do ALL of your core rotations), regions (city/state region in which you want to the majority of your rotations), OR schedule (when you want your vacation/electives to be in the year).

You are NOT calling up hospitals and setting up rotations yourself EXCEPT for electives/selectives (which everyone I know in other medical schools has to do anyways - using VSAS makes it easier too).

Now, ideally the algorithm works to give you your highest rank, but obviously some people will get their 1st choice whereas others may get 3rd or 4th, etc based purely on demand of where they ranked.

Now if you pick a 13, and there's enough room, you get placed in a specific schedule, and pretty much don't have to worry about anything. If you pick a region/schedule, you are placed in groups based on your rotation schedule (I think) and in your group, you divvy up rotations. Your group meets a few times in first semester second year for I think a total of ~10 hrs (so not really a huge time commitment).

That part is a bit hazy for me still, because I'm still a first year, and I haven't experienced it yet. That said, the only real time you are devoting to scheduling clinicals as a LECOM student is if you are class President/VP or if you choose to be your group's representative (each group has a representative that goes to meetings with the other representatives to bring up whatever their group wants to do).

Obviously you have to set up electives/selectives, but you can opt to have the clin ed department set them up for you, which is not ideal for you because they'll put you wherever they have empty spots that others don't want.

3. See above. They apparently implemented this method to give students more of a say in where they end up. They could easily just divide students wherever (apparently they've done this before), but that's not really in our best interest.

Appendix: Alpha Group - Alpha group is the group of students that have <2.5 GPA in medical school by the end of first year. If you fall into this group, you are required to do your 3rd year core rotations at one of 2 locations: Millcreek in Erie OR Arnot Ogden in Elmira, NY. These sites have a big LECOM presence, and if you are at risk (<2.5 GPA) you are placed here and your progress is monitored/supplemented. (Not really sure how this works.) They are both 13's with contracts with LECOM to take a chunk of students, so you will be able to do all your core rotations there and will be with a good amount of your classmates.

Also, if a MS2 wants to chime in and explain better how this works and correct anything I may have gotten wrong, that would be great!

Last edited:
How did you guys like the campus?
Well on my interview day it was really cold, snowing and there was a lot of construction going on at Seton Hill. So I don't feel like I got a good sense of the campus but I liked the little that I did see

It sounds like the late February interviewers heard back in about 2.5 weeks-- is that typical?

I interviewed earlier this month and really liked it, but I have two early April interviews at other schools. I'm hoping I'll manage to hear back from all three so I can decide, but it sounds like that may not be possible if you have to give them your decision within two weeks?

It sounds like the late February interviewers heard back in about 2.5 weeks-- is that typical?

I interviewed earlier this month and really liked it, but I have two early April interviews at other schools. I'm hoping I'll manage to hear back from all three so I can decide, but it sounds like that may not be possible if you have to give them your decision within two weeks?

I heard in two weeks. I received an acceptance on March 13th and my deposit is due on the 25th. Since it's not online you have to mail the check. I am 5 hours away so it's more like you have a week to decide and mail a check.

I heard in two weeks. I received an acceptance on March 13th and my deposit is due on the 25th. Since it's not online you have to mail the check. I am 5 hours away so it's more like you have a week to decide and mail a check.

Thanks! That is helpful. Do you remember how long it was between when "a decision has been made" appeared and when you received the letter?

Thanks! That is helpful. Do you remember how long it was between when "a decision has been made" appeared and when you received the letter?

I only checked the portal once but I remember checking on a monday and getting the letter on a thursday. Im not sure if it was on the portal before that though

To clarify some of these:

2. Understanding how this works was confusing for me as well, as I saw conflicting info online and posted by others. Now I actually see how it works:

The student body is responsible for setting up their rotations. What this means is that the student body president and VP of your class in SH will work with the student body president and VP of the same year class in Erie, and they will divide up rotations (or an algorithm will do it for them) based on a student survey that everyone (at Erie & SH) fills out. LECOM has a set of core rotations for all of its students. It is up to you to fill out a survey, in which you can rank 13's (clinical sites where you can do ALL of your core rotations), regions (city/state region in which you want to the majority of your rotations), OR schedule (when you want your vacation/electives to be in the year).

You are NOT calling up hospitals and setting up rotations yourself EXCEPT for electives/selectives (which everyone I know in other medical schools has to do anyways - using VSAS makes it easier too).

Now, ideally the algorithm works to give you your highest rank, but obviously some people will get their 1st choice whereas others may get 3rd or 4th, etc based purely on demand of where they ranked.

Now if you pick a 13, and there's enough room, you get placed in a specific schedule, and pretty much don't have to worry about anything. If you pick a region/schedule, you are placed in groups based on your rotation schedule (I think) and in your group, you divvy up rotations. Your group meets a few times in first semester second year for I think a total of ~10 hrs (so not really a huge time commitment).

That part is a bit hazy for me still, because I'm still a first year, and I haven't experienced it yet. That said, the only real time you are devoting to scheduling clinicals as a LECOM student is if you are class President/VP or if you choose to be your group's representative (each group has a representative that goes to meetings with the other representatives to bring up whatever their group wants to do).

Obviously you have to set up electives/selectives, but you can opt to have the clin ed department set them up for you, which is not ideal for you because they'll put you wherever they have empty spots that others don't want.

3. See above. They apparently implemented this method to give students more of a say in where they end up. They could easily just divide students wherever (apparently they've done this before), but that's not really in our best interest.

Appendix: Alpha Group - Alpha group is the group of students that have <2.5 GPA in medical school by the end of first year. If you fall into this group, you are required to do your 3rd year core rotations at one of 2 locations: Millcreek in Erie OR Arnot Ogden in Elmira, NY. These sites have a big LECOM presence, and if you are at risk (<2.5 GPA) you are placed here and your progress is monitored/supplemented. (Not really sure how this works.) They are both 13's with contracts with LECOM to take a chunk of students, so you will be able to do all your core rotations there and will be with a good amount of your classmates.

Also, if a MS2 wants to chime in and explain better how this works and correct anything I may have gotten wrong, that would be great!

This is all beautifully explained. Everything above is accurate for lecom. The only thing not touched on is Mandatories, which are a very real part of your clin rots. Mandatories are for those hospitals like Arnot, Elmira, etc. that have essentially been promised an amount of students. These spots are first filled by the Alpha's (see explanation above) and then this is moves out to all students at random if there are still positions that need to be filled.
Don't be scared of this system. I can't say I'm the luckiest student when it comes to the random mandatories, but I did get my second region choice (algorithm system), so overall I'm good with it all.

Interviewed on 3/11
Accepted on 3/19
Sent in $1500 deposit on 4/2

Is there a difference in being an alternate and being put on the waitlist

anyone know if there has been movement on the waitlist?

I think there is just a general waitlist but my preference is seton hill because I interviewed there. I'm just getting antsy with the prospect of reapplying. :/

I just sent the adcom a letter of intent. Hopefully that pulls some weight when they re-review my app.

I'm hoping for another schools acceptance this week I would gladly give you my seton hill spot
I think there is just a general waitlist but my preference is seton hill because I interviewed there. I'm just getting antsy with the prospect of reapplying. :/

I just sent the adcom a letter of intent. Hopefully that pulls some weight when they re-review my app.

thanks chocolateislife. may your sweet tooth guide you to many acceptances