Liberty University DO school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
where did u see that? palm beach and cali. northstate are still in process and haven't been rejected.

LCME has already told them that it will evaluate their claim for accreditation, but not to expect provisional accreditation to be given. These schools are also (from my understanding) years away. I think the assumption is both sides are playing chicken. Will the LCME bend its rules and let for-profit go. Or will it keep its principles but not allow accreditation of a school which will (if not stopped earlier in the process) enroll students.

That's how it was explained to me. I fully believe that to be the case, but know that I haven't seen any of the letters I've heard referenced nor have I sat in on any LCME meetings. I have talked to people who have and that's their read on it. (well. one person. So no "people". But she is part of it LCME so her interpretation is likely accurate)

Members don't see this ad.

where did u see that? palm beach and cali. northstate are still in process and haven't been rejected.
IS-2. A medical education program should be, or be part of, a not-for-profit institution legally authorized under applicable law to provide medical education leading to the M.D. degree.

http://www.lcme.org/standard.htm

They do make the distinction of should vs. must.

IS-2. A medical education program should be, or be part of, a not-for-profit institution legally authorized under applicable law to provide medical education leading to the M.D. degree.

http://www.lcme.org/standard.htm

They do make the distinction of should vs. must.

uhuh then why didn't the LCME deny them an evaluation 2-3 years ago when they applied. money talks, we should see an LCME accredited for-profit school within the next decade...as more and more for-profit allied health programs burst out onto the scene and become successful in meeting the demand created from the affordable healthcare act.

it is unfortunate however.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's in their charter. They are in the process because the schools are probably being given the chance to switch business models to non-profit.

its logical. but i don't think this is the case.

It's in their charter. They are in the process because the schools are probably being given the chance to switch business models to non-profit.
I highly doubt that. These schools knew what the rules were years ago, so why would they try , and invest so much money unless they knew they could go through?

I highly doubt that. These schools knew what the rules were years ago, so why would they try , and invest so much money unless they knew they could go through?

I don't know, why do people do a lot of stupid things? It's a gamble, I guess.

I am planning to open up a nursing program in my basement to finance my medical education. Who wants in?

Depends on what your nursing students look like. LOL

this
ngbbs451fea87edbcf.jpg

Hey, I wanna know how people get into this school:

36flks-1.jpg

ronnie martin. the guy who started rvu and got dumped by his caribbean boss
http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_12455637

what's gonna happen is jerry falwell jr will use his political machinery to muscle this thru. if his application is delayed or denied, he'll cry religious discrimination and mobilize his fundamentalist goons to intimidate the aoa into approving his application.

I would be embarrassed to be associated with the DO degree if this goes through. What an embarrassment. Please let it fail.

Members don't see this ad :)
Burn it, burn it to the ground and then gay marry Jerry Falwell's grandson ( he's hot) there.
Then resurrect A.T Still so he may put the banner of osteopathy to the wind and declare it a victory for all DO's.

I would be embarrassed to be associated with the DO degree if this goes through. What an embarrassment. Please let it fail.

degree =/= school.
one school does not represent a whole profession.
(how about them md-granting caribbean institutions?)

ronnie martin. the guy who started rvu and got dumped by his caribbean boss
http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_12455637

what's gonna happen is jerry falwell jr will use his political machinery to muscle this thru. if his application is delayed or denied, he'll cry religious discrimination and mobilize his fundamentalist goons to intimidate the aoa into approving his application.

1. Why is liberty hiring a dean with a tainted record?

2. Yeah Falwell is gonna use politics to get this done...like it or not...get ready to see Liberty operate a DO school...sad...

Last edited:
Burn it, burn it to the ground and then gay marry Jerry Falwell's grandson ( he's hot) there.
Then resurrect A.T Still so he may put the banner of osteopathy to the wind and declare it a victory for all DO's.

lol
agreed

Chancellor Jerry Falwell, Jr. said students will be rewarded financially if they choose to practice medicine in Southside Virginia. Falwell said, “Liberty will encourage its medical students to begin their medical careers in underserved communities in Southside Virginia and is strongly considering student loan forgiveness as an incentive in that regard.”

Hey, at least someone is mentioning it...

Holy Jebus is Bob Jones gonna try and open up a medical school now? This whole thing gives me the heeby jeebies. Even Catholic med schools kind of creep me out. I went to catholic high school and our sex ed consisted of: sex is bad m'kay are so are condoms and birth control. How do these places teach the reproductive system?

reproductive system is good. but real televangelists prefer gay hookers.

How is Jerry Falwall still controlling the system again? I thought the fat satanist keeled over long ago?

I'd support that seance!!

Memo to self, study harder for the mcat and pray for a 30+ by sheer luck of good guessing....

But seriously I wouldn't want this DO school to be created. It won't really harm DO's but it'll contribute to the already evident dislike of DO's by the AMA and ACGME. We will force them to shut off the residencies to DO's.

Holy Jebus is Bob Jones gonna try and open up a medical school now? This whole thing gives me the heeby jeebies. Even Catholic med schools kind of creep me out. I went to catholic high school and our sex ed consisted of: sex is bad m'kay are so are condoms and birth control. How do these places teach the reproductive system?

I went to a Catholic HS and the health courses are what interested me in reproductive biology as a major in college (the health courses were amazing).

Religious affiliation ≠ science denying for most religious schools. Catholic and Jewish are far from it, and even most Christian universities do not deny on the level of Liberty. Even the Baptist medical schools like WCU and Campbell look like secular schools next to Liberty.

Liberty markets "young Earth creationism" as if it is some matter of opinion that the Earth is 6000 years old. Liberty persecutes students for being in favor of LGBT rights and bans clubs that don't conform to their way of thinking (they banned the College Democrats, which is silly).

Liberty is an absolute joke, and I cannot even believe that COCA is even flirting with this idea. They need to stop this.

Religious affiliation ≠ science denying for most religious schools. Catholic and Jewish are far from it, and even most Christian universities do not deny on the level of Liberty. Even the Baptist medical schools like WCU and Campbell look like secular schools next to Liberty.

Liberty markets "young Earth creationism" as if it is some matter of opinion that the Earth is 6000 years old. Liberty persecutes students for being in favor of LGBT rights and bans clubs that don't conform to their way of thinking (they banned the College Democrats, which is silly).

Liberty is an absolute joke, and I cannot even believe that COCA is even flirting with this idea. They need to stop this.

:thumbup:

Oh the redditors are going to love this if it goes through.

Just because they hired a dean doesn't mean they have anything locked. I'd be shocked if they become a school personally.

degree =/= school.
one school does not represent a whole profession.
(how about them md-granting caribbean institutions?)

MD-granting schools in the Caribbean are not LCME accredited, the DO school at Liberty "University" would be COCA accredited and certainly wouldn't help the medical community's (MD and DO) view of COCA.

This is a good opportunity for COCA to show that they have some standards and do not grant accreditation for every school that applies for it. Let's see what happens. I predict Liberty University College of Osteopathic Medicine becomes a reality.

This is a good opportunity for COCA to show that they have some standards and do not grant accreditation for every school that applies for it. Let's see what happens. I predict Liberty University College of Osteopathic Medicine becomes a reality.

yes, it is a good opportunity...alas they will let go of this opportunity and do exactly what you have predicted...

Liberty markets "young Earth creationism" as if it is some matter of opinion that the Earth is 6000 years old.

maybe they'll teach antibiotic resistance as evidence of intelligent design intended to... wipe out the human race?

i predict they'll replace omm lab with a simple laying on of hands - minimal contact, much less work, no nudity involved. (a.t. still, get lost).

but first they have to stand in line in the coca applicant queue, behind the world-renowned Center for Allied Health Nursing Education

Will prayer healing be added to COMLEX or no then?

only after they've graduated enough liberty do's to control the aoa.
or maybe they can get diebold to run the aoa elections.

"The School for Osteopathic Medicine will offer brand new programs, including several new masters' programs for health sciences."

And the money will roll in...

Wow this is actually happening. Lets all just try to land solid residencies while we can and then stand back and watch the disaster that will be osteopathic GME from our private practice office windows.

Its selfish to say, but all I'm really hoping for is that the degree wont be tainted enough when I start going through the match to really limit my residency options.

Regardless of my personal opinions on LU as a whole, why would Virginia of all places need another med school. They already have 1 DO and 4!!!! MD if I'm not mistaken. It's hard to believe Liberty's "good for the community" intentions in a state with 5 schools already.

Regardless of my personal opinions on LU as a whole, why would Virginia of all places need another med school. They already have 1 DO and 4!!!! MD if I'm not mistaken. It's hard to believe Liberty's "good for the community" intentions in a state with 5 schools already.

Right? How about trying to open up a school in a state without a medical school at all, like Montana or Wyoming. If their intentions were to truly make an impact as an institution, opening up a school in that location doesnt make the most sense....

Shows how the AOA and COCA are more worried about their bottom lines than the quality of the institutions they accredit. I still have a lot of respect for most DO schools, but I'm kind of glad that I'm going MD now.

Right when osteopathic medicine was gaining credibility in the world of medicine the short-sighted people at COCA/AOA decide to associate the profession with right wing lunatics that deny basic science such as evolution. Don't be wrong. This is a damn big shame and a blow to the entire profession.

Right when osteopathic medicine was gaining credibility in the world of medicine the short-sighted people at COCA/AOA decide to associate the profession with right wing lunatics that deny basic science such as evolution. Don't be wrong. This is a damn big shame and a blow to the entire profession.

Just waiting for the "Devry college of osteopathic medicine" where all of the students are exempt from taking the mcat and appear on commercials with their white coats talking about how much people "respect" them because they walk around in the hospital with their coats on....its bound to attract groves of insecure idiots. Meanwhile, our degree will begin to be looked at like a law degree from the lowest tier schools. Atleast COCA will be raking in the cash right? ;)

Just waiting for the "Devry college of osteopathic medicine" where all of the students are exempt from taking the mcat and appear on commercials with their white coats talking about how much people "respect" them because they walk around in the hospital with their coats on....its bound to attract groves of insecure idiots. Meanwhile, our degree will begin to be looked at like a law degree from the lowest tier schools. Atleast COCA will be raking in the cash right? ;)

Already exists, RVU.