Liberty University DO school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
+1

I'm worried about your last point in your post. The last thing we need is more PD's thinking DO students are idiots with a white coat. For me, this is the thing that could really screw the profession.

Exactly. Add the fact that many osteopathic grads all ready have to jump through so many hoops to prove otherwise to PDs as it is all ready. -_-

Members don't see this ad.

TBH I wouldn't mind another government report concerning DO schools. Let them go around the nation and start cracking down on crappy programs. Survival of the fittest. If these new schools are up to par, great. If not, too bad you're axed.

But of course I'm biased because I am going to be attending a school that has a pretty decent rep.

I fear, will produce subpar physicians, which will make the entire profession look weak.

"There's your problem", said the mechanic to the car owner that ran out of gas. "Proof that world doesn't revolve around you. You need fuel to get places."

Contrary to popular belief, whatever "tier" medical school you attend doesn't make you a quality physician. Caribbean students consistently have the highest USMLE scores on record. JHMI and HU continue to have their fair share of drop-outs and could-have-beens. :laugh:
The profession always has, and always will, "look weak" and threaten to collapse. The opportunity for money, power, and seeing people naked brings weak-minded people. A higher number of schools will bring a greater number of losers, but also more people that are just trying to become the best doctor they can be...without worrying about everyone else.

Your argument is greedy and futile. Just like trying to change my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
"There's your problem", said the mechanic to the car owner that ran out of gas. "Proof that world doesn't revolve around you. You need fuel to get places."

Contrary to popular belief, whatever "tier" medical school you attend doesn't make you a quality physician. Caribbean students consistently have the highest USMLE scores on record. JHMI and HU continue to have their fair share of drop-outs and could-have-beens. :laugh:
The profession always has, and always will, "look weak" and threaten to collapse. The opportunity for money, power, and seeing people naked brings weak-minded people. A higher number of schools will bring a greater number of losers, but also more people that are just trying to become the best doctor they can be...without worrying about everyone else.

This reasoning is so flawed, and you probably know it.

And I'm not sure what you're insinuating with "fair share of drop-outs." Are you trying to compare the drop-out rate of JHU and Harvard to those Caribbean schools with the "consistent highest board scores?"

Laughable.

Yeah, you're right. Success of a physician is ENTIRELY dependent on the individual and the school she attends has no baring on the education she receives.

Hey everyone! Drop out of your respective med schools tout de suite! There's a medical college that let's you take classes online and awards a medical degree!

http://www.oceaniamed.org/

It's cheaper too! Why you wasting your money fool!? If you say no to this you are clearly a prestige *****!

[/sarcasm]

TBH I wouldn't mind another government report concerning DO schools. Let them go around the nation and start cracking down on crappy programs. Survival of the fittest. If these new schools are up to par, great. If not, too bad you're axed.

But of course I'm biased because I am going to be attending a school that has a pretty decent rep.

Which is why I believe LCME should overtake the COCA, force the closure of all DO programs not up to quality, and freeze RVU until it agrees to switch its model from for-profit to non-profit over a period of 5-10 years.

+1

I'm worried about your last point in your post. The last thing we need is more PD's thinking DO students are idiots with a white coat. For me, this is the thing that could really screw the profession.
Thank you.
The point being is all of these crap DO schools hurts the profession as a whole.

Exactly. Add the fact that many osteopathic grads all ready have to jump through so many hoops to prove otherwise to PDs as it is all ready. -_-

And, as far as you three,
The public (remember them? The people we're supposed to be helping? The ones you're supposed to be helping, instead of being concerned with losing your miserable power?)
The public has no idea whether the person in the white coat is an MD, DO, NP, PA, or even a CNA or just the guy who came to hook up the twelve-lead.
Why are you even concerned about more schools opening up? Shouldnt you be worried about, oh, I don't know....trying not to kill your patient. Its just me, but I think that's a pretty good indication of being a good doctor... I think capitalism and "the profession" supports that idea, but I don't know. I've been wrong in the past.

Why are you even using the term "weakness"?
What kind of power is it that you think you'll hold? That you're so afraid of losing?
The ability to be an @ss and charge Grandma $20k for taking off a melanoma patch? Or the ability to sew someone's leg back on, and they'll never know your name?
Let's lay all the cards on the table, here.
Why is it that you feel so threatened to more schools and students? Could it shockingly be the threat of more competition at residency? :eek:

The public (remember them? The people we're supposed to be helping? The ones you're supposed to be helping, instead of being concerned with losing your miserable power?)
The public has no idea whether the person in the white coat is an MD, DO, NP, PA, or even a CNA or just the guy who came to hook up the twelve-lead.
Why are you even concerned about more schools opening up? Shouldnt you be worried about, oh, I don't know....trying not to kill your patient. Its just me, but I think that's a pretty good indication of being a good doctor... I think capitalism and "the profession" supports that idea, but I don't know. I've been wrong in the past.

What kind of power is it that you think you'll hold? That you're so afraid of losing?
The ability to be an @ss and charge Grandma $20k for taking off a melanoma patch? Or the ability to sew someone's leg back on, and they'll never know your name?
Why is it that you feel so threatened to more schools and students? Could it shockingly be the threat of more competition at residency? :eek:

The quality of the school you attend tends to be a damned pretty good indicator of whether or not you will *learn* the skills necessary to make sure that doesn't happen. Last time I checked you go to school to *learn* how to do medicine. Being a *low quality* school typically indicates that the school fails to impart the skills and knowledge to its students to be a competent physician.

I'm quite bemused by how you seem so eager to miss that point. Judging from your overemphasis on individual agency and eagerness to dismiss people who are challenging your position on the basis of academic merits I'm guessing your some narcissistic rascal who got into a new DO school after getting the rug pulled out from under you after applying to a bunch of allopathic schools and are trying to save your bruised ego by dismissing people who call the quality of schools into question as prestige ******? Stop me if I'm wrong.

Yeah, you're right. Success of a physician is ENTIRELY dependent on the individual and the school she attends has no baring on the education she receives.

Here's a thought. And bear with me, because it's shockingly complicated:
What do you think happens in the rest of the world?

Does Poland cease to exist because their graduates come from Warsaw and not Johns?
And how exactly is it that we've lived this long on the planet without the mighty whatever-school-has-accepted-you?

Maybe it's just me. I seem to remember something about large, "prestigious" organizations going about leading crusades and burning people. Not quite sure, but, yeah, I think I remember they worried about competition, too.

Going to an established DO school or a state DO school if you can would probably be advisable. Granted many of the new DO schools might be good quality, but with things like this opening, I can see PDs grouping new DO schools together and not liking any of them.

Here's a thought. And bear with me, because it's shockingly complicated:
What do you think happens in the rest of the world?

Does Poland cease to exist because their graduates come from Warsaw and not Johns?
And how exactly is it that we've lived this long on the planet without the mighty whatever-school-has-accepted-you?

Maybe it's just me. I seem to remember something about large, "prestigious" organizations going about leading crusades and burning people. Not quite sure, but, yeah, I think I remember they worried about competition, too.

You going to spare yourself some green and sign up for the online modules? Clearly wasting your money on that fancy-smancy brick and mortar med school is a waste of money because you will be an amazing physician no matter where you go. My God man, if you keep spending 100's of thousands of extra dollars on your current school as opposed to signing up for Oceania U your just a prestige ***** and a fool.

You going to spare yourself some green and sign up for the online modules? Clearly wasting your money on that fancy-smancy brick and mortar med school is a waste of money because you will be an amazing physician no matter where you go. My God man, if you keep spending 100's of thousands of extra dollars on your current school as opposed to signing up for Oceania U your just a prestige ***** and a fool.

I actually came pretty close to it, yes. I don't mind your sarcasm in the slightest. I want to heal people any way I can, and won't let unavailability of seats get in my way. I attend a university because I personally don't perform well in online classes, and I'd like to stay in my region, if I can.
In fact, many med schools are now using online courses for students on rotation. So, what's your point?:rolleyes:

Individual effort cannot be overstated or overemphasized.
Here's a pretty long list of individuals:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_physicians
Most people, myself included, have never heard mostof those namesbeing spoken. But I hear the words "ivy league", "Harvard", and others on a weekly basis. Most of those INDIVIDUALS created/pioneered something...not their school. Sometimes, there wasn't even a school in existence.

Your next argument?

I actually came pretty close to it, yes. I want to heal people any way I can, and won't let unavailability of seats get in my way. I attend a university because I personally don't perform well in online classes, and I'd like to stay in my region, if I can.
In fact, many med schools are now using online courses for students on rotation. So, what's your point?:rolleyes:

Individual effort cannot be overstated or overemphasized.
Here's a pretty long list of individuals:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_physicians
Most people, myself included, have never heard mostof those namesbeing spoken. But I hear the words "ivy league", "Harvard", and others on a weekly basis. Most of those INDIVIDUALS created/pioneered something...not their school. Sometimes, there wasn't even a school in existence.

Your next argument?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissism#Empirical_studies

Empirical studies

Positive: Narcissists think they are better than others.

Inflated: Narcissists' views tend to be contrary to reality. In measures that compare self-report to objective measures, narcissists' self-views tend to be greatly exaggerated

Special: Narcissists perceive themselves to be unique and special people.

Oriented toward success: Narcissists are oriented towards success by being, for example, approach oriented.

And indeed as opposed to looking at where you fell short you decided to just get in where ever you could as opposed to improving your application or yourself and just resting on your impeccable abilities. And I get the feeling you think you would make a damned fine physician even if you went to some backwater school like Oceania U.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, yes, yes, ad hominem attacks. What else is new...

Come on, give me something good!

Edit:
And I get the feeling you think you would make a damned fine physician even if you went to some backwater school like Oceania U.

Good luck.
Thank you for this part. My family says that I let them down by going to med school, especially one they don'tlike. It means a lot to hear that, from someone that's disagreeing with me. I can only hope to TRY to be a good doctor. But, that's a nice show of maturity.
Wait, you weren't being mature....
You were trying to call me a narcicist without actually knowing me. Or talking with me beyond this single thread. I see.

Last edited:
Yes, yes, yes, ad hominem attacks. What else is new...

Come on, give me something good!

Considering that you are convinced that the 'quality' of a school one goes to has no baring on the competency or quality of a physician they will be there is no reason to refute anything you posted on those grounds. I've just been offering reasons as to why you would hold such a ridiculous stance and think nonsense such as allowing a school which mandates in its curriculum things that are antithetical medicine, such as denial of empirically based science, is a good idea and inconsequential.

Thank you for this part. My family says that I let them down by going to med school, especially one they don'tlike. It means a lot to hear that, from someone that's disagreeing with me. I can only hope to TRY to be a good doctor. But, that's a nice show of maturity.
Wait, you weren't being mature....
You were trying to call me a narcicist without actually knowing me. Or talking with me beyond this single thread. I see.

If it walks, looks and quacks like a duck. Feel free to prove it wrong.

Challenge accepted!

A.T. Still.
/argument.

Allopaths said he was a narcissist, and that their mighty established schools were supreme. But the techniques discovered by this individual cured me of a very real, severe disability.
You're going to a school formed by an individual that bucked a school system. Maybe you forgot that little bit, while you were applying for MD school...and osteopathic as a back-up.
Next?

Challenge accepted!

A.T. Still.
/argument.

Allopaths said he was a narcissist, and that their mighty established schools were supreme. But the techniques discovered by this individual cured me of a very real, severe disability.
You're going to a school formed by an individual that bucked a school system. But please, continue your rant.

I wasn't talking about A.T. Still. I was talking about you my friend.

Even if you prove A.T. Still wasn't a narcissist that doesn't prove you aren't one. Introspection is not a trait shared amongst narcissists.

I'm glad Still's techniques cured you of a very real, severe disability.

Last edited:

Hahahaha

I'll be back in a few minutes. My daughter's diaper is full of this thread.

Let me make this simple:

Too many lawyers -> saturated market -> many unemployed lawyers.

Too many osteopathic physicians -> too many filled residency slots -> many unplaced osteopathic physicians -> many unemployed osteopathic physicians.

In the bottom case if a bunch of schools churn out a bunch of low quality physicians -> fewer PDs taking osteopathic candidates seriously -> fewer matched osteopathic physicians.

Let me make this simple for you: lots of unqualified DO students being accepted ---> them not passing boards or doing poorly in general -----> them not matching at all or getting into a crap residency. The ones that will be unemployed are the ones that shouldnt be in med school.

Many of you don't like the idea of this school being open because you fear they will take your residency spot. irony after the same people said these schools will produce unqualified physicians. If you don't have the competitve edge and the aggressive desire to do well then yeah, maybe you should be worried about not matching and should consider being a nurse. What many of you fail to understand is if these schools truly do admit "lesser" applicants then they probably will struggle to even obtain a residency. So while you may have 40 people (just an example) competing for a residency spot, instead of 20, who cares if 25 of them are people with ****ty board scores?

Let me make this simple for you: lots of unqualified DO students being accepted ---> them not passing boards or doing poorly in general -----> them not matching at all or getting into a crap residency. The ones that will be unemployed are the ones that shouldnt be in med school.

That's quite specious. All of those superfluous lawyers were still passing Bar Exams and I don't see too much appetite for expanding residencies for all of these newly minted docs. Let's also not forget osteopaths get to compete with allopathic grads for every residency they apply to now.

Again: Too many docs -> not enough spots -> unemployed docs.

That's quite specious. All of those superfluous lawyers were still passing Bar Exams and I don't see too much appetite for expanding residencies for all of these newly minted docs. Let's also not forget osteopaths get to compete with allopathic grads for every residency they apply to now.

Again: Too many docs -> not enough spots -> unemployed docs.

Again, passing and doing good are two different things. If you aren't confident that you can do well, then again, consider being a nurse.

The bigger concern is not competition for residency spots, it's Liberty U pumping out creationist doctors.

The bigger concern is not competition for residency spots, it's Liberty U pumping out creationist doctors.

I agree that a medical school shouldnt be teaching creationism. However, I dont think being a creationist AND a physician is going to negatively affect patients. I know plenty of creationist doctors and they do fine in practice.

Again, passing and doing good are two different things. If you aren't confident that you can do well, then again, consider being a nurse.

Perhaps you missed the part where people are concerned about osteopathic schools ceasing to be taken seriously over nonsense like this? Osteos all ready have to bend over backwards in some instances to get into a residency to a much greater degree than an allo would and this doesn't improve the situation.

Just to add, I'm not sure how you rectify a school taking some sap's money, four years of his life and leaving him high and dry, let alone providing sub-standard educational practices, as being ethical.

This is just getting absurd, who cares what someone personally believes whether it's politics or religion, as long as they're a good doctor?

And face it, you know if you're ready for medcal school deep down inside.

Just to bring everyone back to reality, unless I missed something, COCA hasn't given any formal recognition to Liberty. They are still an applicant school, which means, they filled out a form saying they would like to start a DO school (this can be done by anyone) and doesn't mean anything. Just because they started construction on a building, also doesn't mean much.
http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-a...eges-of-osteopathic-medicine-and-campuses.pdf

The sad part of this whole thing is that their founding dean is RVU's founding dean. And this guy is so shady that he even got fired from RVU on "ethical grounds" I believe was the quote :eek:(that's when you know you are shady). I think he is on a mission to destroy the profession! :thumbdown:

Let me make this simple:

Too many lawyers -> saturated market -> many unemployed lawyers.

Too many osteopathic physicians -> too many filled residency slots -> many unplaced osteopathic physicians -> many unemployed osteopathic physicians.

In the bottom case if a bunch of schools churn out a bunch of low quality physicians -> fewer PDs taking osteopathic candidates seriously -> fewer matched osteopathic physicians.

Also, the above post is a little bit alarmist, to say the least. So far, almost everyone who wants a residency and is in the top 90% of their class matches (essentially same as US MD (match rates of low 90s vs mid 90s) and this has been stable for decades. Furthermore, in the recent history, every single year, DOs have done better than before in the match. So there are no indications of the things you posted.

Disclaimer: I'm all for stopping expansion (especially this one) and even I'm for closing most of these new schools, but it is very important to bring facts into the discussion.

I could care less about religion or politics as a judgment of character alone. But if such issues arise which would affect a patient's health, would deteriorate ethical standards or education standards I start to care, deeply.

Whether or not one is *thinks* their ready for med school is immaterial. Proving it is another matter entirely.

Just to add, I'm not sure how you rectify a school taking some sap's money, four years of his life and leaving him high and dry, let alone providing sub-standard educational practices, as being ethical.

I don't see you doing any better.
Planning to open a school in your apartment? Show them how to really do it?

Big population out there, and it's getting bigger. Lots of creationist patients that would like a creationist doctor. Lots of patients that that like just having a doctor, period. Better hurry up if you're gonna see them all yourself.

I could care less about religion or politics as a judgment of character alone. But if such issues arise which would affect a patient's health, would deteriorate ethical standards or education standards I start to care, deeply.

Whether or not one is *thinks* their ready for med school is immaterial. Proving it is another matter entirely.

That's what you don't get. You said its unethical for schools to take a students money and the student end up doing bad but whose fault is that really?

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, the above post is a little bit alarmist, to say the least. So far, almost everyone who wants a residency and is in the top 90% of their class matches (essentially same as US MD (match rates of low 90s vs mid 90s) and this has been stable for decades. Furthermore, in the recent history, every single year, DOs have done better than before in the match. So there are no indications of the things you posted.

Disclaimer: I'm all for stopping expansion (especially this one) and even I'm for closing most of these new schools, but it is very important to bring facts into the discussion.

That's valid. As to whether or not it will stay that way is anybody's guess. But I don't feel as though the issue should be ignored in light of the recent changes that have been happening with the match and the simple fact that residency spots are not accelerating at the same rate as med school spots are.

I guess I am greedy. I want my profession, osteopathic medicine, to be protected. I want osteopathic physicians to be respected and, I truly believe, that the rampant expansion of DO schools with inadequate training opportunities will ultimately hurt the profession.

You are right that what tier medical school you go to doesn't determine how good of a doctor you will be. You need to be motivated and you need to care. But your usmle score doesnt mean ****. You know what matters? Proper clinical training in medical school and in residency. Unfortunately, for these new schools, there is a lack of adequate training sites that have not already been utilized.

That's what you don't get. You said its unethical for schools to take a students money and the student end up doing bad but whose fault is that really?

and I also thought the RVU thing was funny, I wont lie on that.

Simply because a person is stupid/uninformed that gives someone license to rob them based on lies and misinformation in your mind?

I guess I am greedy. I want my profession, osteopathic medicine, to be protected. I want osteopathic physicians to be respected and, I truly believe, that the rampant expansion of DO schools with inadequate training opportunities will ultimately hurt the profession.

You are right that what tier medical school you go to doesn't determine how good of a doctor you will be. You need to be motivated and you need to care. But your usmle score doesnt mean ****. You know what matters? Proper clinical training in medical school and in residency. Unfortunately, for these new schools, there is a lack of adequate training sites that have not already been utilized.

not necessecarily, ACOM is a new school and we already have very established rotations that were taken over.

And leonid, yes. it's your job to be informed when you're applying for medical school. It's your money, when you choose to hand it over to someone you're making that choice, no one is forcing you. Were adults at this point, were not being treated like little kids anymore. You have to accept responsibility.

And leonid, yes. it's your job to be informed when you're applying for medical school. It's your money, when you choose to hand it over to someone you're making that choice, no one is forcing you. Were adults at this point, were not being treated like little kids anymore. You have to accept responsibility.

Seems morally lazy. Got a **** education from a college that is fully accredited by a body that is meant to ensure that you don't get a **** education? Too bad, it's you're responsibility. Defeats the point of accreditation.

It's along the same lines of dismantling the FDA and leaving it to consumers to ensure that they don't consume food items infect with E. coli or take some experimental medication that may or may not lead to the growth of horrifying neoplasms. No one 'forced' you to get those things. You're an adult.

I really hope you're right. Im pretty pessimistic about most things, hah. Do these rotations have residencies associated with them?

Seems morally lazy. Got a **** education from a college that is fully accredited by a body that is meant to ensure that you don't get a **** education? Too bad, it's you're responsibility. Defeats the point of accreditation.

It's along the same lines of dismantling the FDA and leaving it to consumers to ensure that they don't consume food items infect with E. coli or take some experimental medication that may or may not lead to the growth of horrifying neoplasms. No one 'forced' you to get those things. You're an adult.

Lol wow, really? If you do something stupid, how can you blame it on other people? Were not dismantling anything here. You are talking about two way different things and using an extreme example. In your mind you're basically saying "hey I spent all my money and went to some terrible quality carribean school, but it's their fault for accepting me". No it's your fault for applying. It's your fault for choosing to go. How hard is it to research schools yourself? Seems lazy to me.

Lol wow, really? If you do something stupid, how can you blame it on other people? Were not dismantling anything here. You are talking about two way different things and using an extreme example. In your mind you're basically saying "hey I spent all my money and went to some terrible quality carribean school, but it's their fault for accepting me". No it's your fault for applying. It's your fault for choosing to go. How hard is it to research schools yourself? Seems lazy to me.

Last time I checked Caribbean schools weren't accredited by COCA. There's a very realistic chance that Liberty University will have a school that will be. Huge difference.

Last time I checked Caribbean schools weren't accredited by COCA. There's a very realistic chance that Liberty University will have a school that will be. Huge difference.

I was using that as an example to make the point that you choose to go to what school you want to, and chances are if it's accreditted it's decent enough to get you where you need to be. it's your job to do well and ace the boards.

I was using that as an example to make the point that you choose to go to what school you want to, and chances are if it's accreditted it's decent enough to get you where you need to be. it's your job to do well and ace the boards.

That's what this entire thread is making a stink about. Making sure that COCA keeps it that way.

COCA isn't going to accredit schools that don't have a decent enough curriculum and adequate facilities.

That's what's up in the air. There's a chance that this whole thread will be for nothing and Liberty U's med school falls through the cracks, lending support to the idea that there is a God.

Or they could very well give Liberty University, a school which has absolutely no business training physicians for various reasons mentioned, it's accreditation which really calls the credibility of the agency into question.

That's what's up in the air. There's a chance that this whole thread will be for nothing and Liberty U's med school falls through the cracks, lending support to the idea that there is a God.

Or they could very well give Liberty University, a school which has absolutely no business training physicians for various reasons mentioned, it's accreditation which really calls the credibility of the agency into question.

How many times has COCA accrditted schools that didn't produce quality physicians?

How many times has COCA accrditted schools that didn't produce quality physicians?

Who knows? Maybe as many times, more times or fewer times as the LCME. The idea is to keep the number low.

let me answer that for you: zero

Every single doctor that graduates from COCA accredited med schools are quality physicians, interesting. I don't even believe that for LCME accredited schools.

EDIT:

I see what you said there, I thought you said every graduate.

I feel proud for spending a small, unrecoverable part of my life reading and arguing on this thread.

You guys have been at this the entire day. We're about two posts away from fixing the world. Great job.