Liberty University (LUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How does he teach antibiotic resistance? Is God constantly creating new pathogens to defeat the drug?* What am I missing?

*If yes, does God love the bugs more than he loves us?

This is a serious question.

There's a difference between microevolution aka adaptation and macroevolution. Antibiotic resistance (adaptation) is often transferred between bacteria with plasmids (or gene cassettes, etc). The gene is transferred and incorporated into the host genome. Staph aureus gains methicillin resistance, but this does not cause it to become non-staph aureus. It's just MRSA.

New pathogens aren't continually bring created. They were created with everything else. They adapt to their environment to survive, but bacteria do not become non-bacteria. Aka this is not a creation vs evolution question.

The answer is no, but I'll still answer your final question. No, God doesn't love the "bugs" more than us. SuperDoc put it nicely. In a fallen world, pathogens can be opportunistic, diseases arise, and people die (explained in Genesis). But God showed his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us (Romans 5:8).

I would love to explain this more to you, however this is not the proper forum. If you'd like further explanation or more info/questions answered about this topic, please pm me or find me on Facebook. Id be happy to answer your questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have an interview here next month, and from reading this forum, I must say I am slightly disheartened.

I don't know much about this school, but the contact I have had so far with barry and the rest of the staff showed me that they are willing to give students a chance. I live in an area where we don't have much DO's. So I have called, asked and written to every DO in the state for a letter or for shadowing opportunity to no response, I just submitted my MD letter along with my faculty letters.

The School still gave me an interview!

I hear a lot about religion about this school, to be frank here, I am not Christian, I am a Hindu, if they are willing to look past that and give me an interview. I think I owe it to them to look past the mean opinions that some of the people have posted here and give them a fair chance. From what I know of this university, it's community driven, I think in medical school when everyone is trying to do better than each other, having such a community means a lot to me.

If there are any current students from this school reading this thread, I was hoping you give me some information about the school.
1. With the merging of Residencies, what kind of changes do you see in the educational curriculum ?
2. What kind of rotations does the school have?
3. What are it's COMLEX pass rates?
4. Volunteering is a big part of who I am as a person, what kind of programs does the school have?

I have an interview here next month, and from reading this forum, I must say I am slightly disheartened.

I don't know much about this school, but the contact I have had so far with barry and the rest of the staff showed me that they are willing to give students a chance. I live in an area where we don't have much DO's. So I have called, asked and written to every DO in the state for a letter or for shadowing opportunity to no response, I just submitted my MD letter along with my faculty letters.

I hear a lot about religion about this school, to be frank here, I am not Christian, I am a Hindu, if they are willing to look past that and give me an interview. I think I owe it to them to look past the mean opinions that some of the people have posted here and give them a fair chance. From what I know of this university, it's community driven, I think in medical school when everyone is trying to do better than each other, having such a community means a lot to me.

If there are any current students from this school reading this thread, I was hoping you give me some information about the school.
1. With the merging of Residencies, what kind of changes do you see in the educational curriculum ?
4. Volunteering is a big part of who I am as a person, what kind of programs does the school have?
Congratulations on your interview! Not a current student, but part of the 2019 class that begins next year.

I can't answer 1 and am not as familiar as I would like to be with 2, but I can safely answer 3: there are no COMLEX data for LUCOM because this is their first year teaching students. However, current students can comment on their exams which mimic board exams. 4, the school is huge on volunteering, but then again current students can chime in on more specific details.

As for being Hindu, that won't affect your acceptance chances. They are searching for people with a servant's heart, religious or not, christian or not.

They will emphasize that the school is christian during the interview, (it's who they are just as being hindu is who you are and mormon is who I am, for instance), but they said over and over that they won't treat you differently for believing differently than them. Contact @EH123 (a current LUCOM student, she's very helpful!) for more information on how the school is in this regard.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Hey there! I'm a current student. Here are some answers to your questions.
1. As far as I know, none. Since it's a new school, the curriculum is new so they created it with the merge in mind. The school is osteopathic, so OMM will always be taught and each of the topics are presented in a holistic manner.
2. The school has ties with several hospitals in VA, the main one being centra which is huge. You can find out more on the liberty.edu/LUCOM page.
3. No comlex pass rates available. We are the first class and we just started this august. All of our exams are set up like the comlex and all of the profs were trained by the NBOME on how to write these questions. So they are prepping us for the boards from day 1.
4. The school actually requires us to volunteer and they have tons of contacts set up already to facilitate this.

Ps. There are a few other Hindus in the class, and just about every religious group is represented. The school doesn't discriminate, unlike people like to assume. You'll love it here if you get the opportunity to come here.

Got an II this morning! See everyone on the 31st of October

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted! I got the call from Dr. Martin on Wednesday! Good Luck in your interviews! I had a great experience at this school.

Reactions: 5 users
I interview here on 10/20. Does anyone know if you can stay with students while you are out there? I'm flying in from west coast, any suggestions on best place to fly into? Places to stay? Things to see/do while I am there? Any particular advice on preparing for interviews here? I realize there may be posts about this in the past... but I'm getting tired of reading through arguments. Any advice will be much appreciated!

I interview here on 10/20. Does anyone know if you can stay with students while you are out there? I'm flying in from west coast, any suggestions on best place to fly into? Places to stay? Things to see/do while I am there? Any particular advice on preparing for interviews here? I realize there may be posts about this in the past... but I'm getting tired of reading through arguments. Any advice will be much appreciated!

It's probably cheaper to fly into Roanoke and drive an hour to lynchburg or even into raleigh nc and drive 3 hrs versus flying directly into lynchburg but you'll have to double check the fares. Your interview will probably be done by 230-3 so you'd have time to drive back. As far as places to stay, there are tons of places in lynchburg that are cheap. I stayed at the travelodge. If you stay at the Wingate on candlers mountain road, you will only be a mile from the school and you'll bypass the crazy morning traffic. Things to do that don't take much time, assuming you won't be here long before you go back - lots of great restaurants or you could walk the black water creek trail :) there's a ton of great hiking but you'd have to drive to get there. How to prepare - focus on explaining how you are a perfect fit for LUCOM with examples of things you've done. How does your personal mission/vision fit with theirs? They are all about service so focus on that :) other than that, they're super relaxed. But be prepared to answer some tough questions about your grades, aca, etc.

Good luck!!

Coming from Washington state, I flew into Richmond. I got a rental car/hotel/flight package through priceline for $750. Richmond is about two hours away, all freeway driving. I would recommend staying in Lynchburg though, I stayed in Richmond and I don't think it worked out as well as if I had stayed in Lynchburg.

Last edited:
I believe LUCOM requires a DO letter, while MD is optional. I had both so I sent the two of them, but the DO one should be enough in your case. Confirm with Barry if you still have questions on this requirement.
Thank you !!

Honestly the system change from last year. If the school requires an LOR from an MD, you should try to get one. Please remember that ADCOMS do look at this letters. Make an impression on the doc you are shadowing and I'm sure you'll impress the adcoms at LUCOM.
Thanks !!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have talking to Mr. Cook by email and he is really helpful. I am pretty excited about this school. Anybody know what housing costs are like in Lynchburg. I have a family and would like to have a three bedroom house with a den (I would prefer not to have an apartment). What would that run me?

I have talking to Mr. Cook by email and he is really helpful. I am pretty excited about this school. Anybody know what housing costs are like in Lynchburg. I have a family and would like to have a three bedroom house with a den (I would prefer not to have an apartment). What would that run me?
I can PM you once I get home, but my wife and I found several homes and townhomes as described by you with mortgage around 800 dollars (we have three kids). Housing is pretty cheap there, you will find.

I have a 1700 square-foot house with three bedrooms it was 80k my payment with taxes and insurance is $600 a month.

Got off the phone with an admissions person today, she was extremely rude and when I asked why I haven't heard anything she's like we place a HUGE emphasis on GPA here .. I was like oo...kay? Glad to know my publications, upward trend and 2,000+ clinical hours and 1,000+ volunteer hours will not be taken into account at your school.

Hey Guys,

I am by no means an authority in this school. I was accepted last cycle and decided to defer. I will be starting with the 2019 class next August. It was a real hard decision to defer but my family comes first and having a third baby in June took precedence over starting class this fall hence my deferment. I'll tell you guys about my application and hopefully I'll help some of you guys in this crazy process:

I applied in November 2013, received a secondary in December and received an invite in Jan 2014. When they send you an ii, school will give you a set of dates to choose from in order to schedule the interview.

A good friend of mine told me about LUCOM and I was literally blown away by the school! I'm from Miami and I interviewed on 2/4/14. There were so many amazing applicants that I felt a bit intimidated by them. I'm non-trad student, married with two kiddos. As soon as the presentation began, however, I forgot any prior inhibitions about my application (24MCAT/3.3 uGPA/ 3.2 gGPA) and the school itself. I don't know how they do it but man these people really go out of their way to make you feel wanted. After lunch I had an hour before my interview, so I spoke to a few staff members. One of the people I had the pleasure of speaking with was Ben Smith. We spoke about the school and the city itself. I told him about my family and Miami. Without a thought, he offered to take me around the city after the interview. For me that was the selling point. I took a whole bunch of pics to sell the school back home to my fam - it's not easy leaving the beautiful city of Miami for a small town in Virginia but I'm sold.

The interview process was exactly how everyone prior to the interview told us it would be like: 2 sessions of 30 minutes each to find out about you and the school itself. As you are interviewed, they really get a sense of who you are and how you would meet LUCOM's mission’s statement. The school has no problems telling you from the beginning about their Christian believes and how they expect all of the students to be mindful and respectful of that fact. If you respect their principles, they respect yours. I was interviewed with a few non-christians applicants and the staff never brought up any religion aspect/opinion. We did not pray nor did we talk about our own individual believes like previous post have said. I actually was the only one who prayed silently before our lunch was served.

Most of the questions before and during the interview circled around you as an individual instead of your numbers. On both interviews, if you go over the 30 minutes, the interviewer will politely ask you to finish since there are a few other candidates waiting to be interviewed. I honestly could have stay with Dr. Ianuzzo for a good 2 hours talking about his research and medical ethics. The staff this school has recruited is amazing!

I interviewed with Dr. Gish and Dr. Ianuzzo. Dr. Gish was very direct and ask about my grades , my post bacc experience, about other schools I had applied to and why LUCOM. He also asked me about life and the value I place on it. The last question was very abstract and I babbled for about a minute before I realized how simple the answer was. We talked about OMM and the half hour was up.

With Dr. Ianuzzo, I felt as though I was talking to a long lost friend who I had not seen in the last 10 years and I only had 30 minutes to catch him up. The first 15 minutes were devoted to my secondary and my aacomas essays. Then he asked a series of rapid-fire questions and before I knew it I was asked to make room for the next guest.

All in all my experience was amazing. I felt as though they were really interested in getting to know me above anything else. My interview was on 02/04/2014 and I received a phone call from the Dean at 5:50 on 02/10/2014 to let me know I was accepted.

Last year was my third year applying and I received three interviews, I was waitlisted at two schools and received one admission.

If you guys need/want anything, please feel free to PM. The 2018 students are amazing and knowing the staff at LUCOM, I can definitely tell you the class of 2019 will not disappoint.

Ps: Please try not to be cynical and look at 2013-2014 LUCOM's thread. Don't listen to a*holes and help out your fellow SDNers. After all we are in medicine to help people so why not help your future classmates.

Hello,

Thank you so much for your honest insight on LUCOM.

Since you have been accepted and have an MCAT score similar to what I can expect for when I take the MCAT in January 2015, I was wondering if you might be able to speak to my chances for this school? Forgive me if this is not the appropriate thread (I couldn't seem to find a chances or stats thread for LUCOM).

My GPAs are as follows: Non-Science: 3.83,Science: 3.52, cGPA:3.77
I am taking the MCAT for the first time in January as I mentioned but I don't think I can score much better than a 25 based on practice tests although I am currently studying.

I will have a MS degree in Psychology which includes taking coursework at a medical school. Also, I have a lot of health-related domestic and international volunteer experience, pharmaceutical work experience, research experience, and publications. I have wanted to be a doctor for a very long time and think the DO route will be the best fit for me.

Also my faith in Christ is extremely important to me, which is why I think LUCOM will be a great match if I could get in.

Thank you to anyone who can provide your feedback. Please try not to say 'get a better MCAT score' because I personally do not think that will be possible. I know how competitive DO schools can be, though, and understand that some average MCATs in the 30s.

I have a 1700 square-foot house with three bedrooms it was 80k my payment with taxes and insurance is $600 a month.
How do you guys get home loans without a job? Cosigner? Working spouse?

I can PM you once I get home, but my wife and I found several homes and townhomes as described by you with mortgage around 800 dollars (we have three kids). Housing is pretty cheap there, you will find.
How do you guys get home loans without a job? Cosigner? Working spouse?

oh my husband technically bought the house since I don't have a job lol. But there are some other guys in my class that bought a house. Not sure what they did, probably had a consigner

Got off the phone with an admissions person today, she was extremely rude and when I asked why I haven't heard anything she's like we place a HUGE emphasis on GPA here .. I was like oo...kay? Glad to know my publications, upward trend and 2,000+ clinical hours and 1,000+ volunteer hours will not be taken into account at your school.
Huh. Well, think about this way - at least you'll save that secondary fee for a school that WILL appreciate your stats more. Everything happens for a reason, and it may be a sign that this school wasn't meant for you (their loss!)

Huh. Well, think about this way - at least you'll save that secondary fee for a school that WILL appreciate your stats more. Everything happens for a reason, and it may be a sign that this school wasn't meant for you (their loss!)

Yeah their loss :) thanks for your support.

I wouldn't take it personal, when I gave my personal statement to people to give me feedback many people really liked it and some didn't. I figure that is the way it is with medical school, some schools just won't like you no matter what. Just got to let the negative roll off your back and focus on the people who do like what you have to offer. I bet there is a seat at some school you will love with your name on it! Good Luck!

Sorry to hear! At least you got into WVSOM, right? You'll be like our neighbor ;)

A question for current Liberty students.. Just wondering how you feel about the numeric grading system (vs pass/fail)? Thanks!

My apologies if this question has already been answered...

A question for current Liberty students.. Just wondering how you feel about the numeric grading system (vs pass/fail)? Thanks!

I think it helps you do better. If you get a C you try harder. If you only knew you passed, I think it would be easier to do just enough to get by rather than shooting for a B or and A.

I just got accepted to Western University. Decisions, decisions :)

I could go either way on this. I don't mind being graded, as it gives you some additional incentive to push for that A, however I feel like the post exam review process and learning from my errors on an exam might be better facilitated in a pass/fail system, as the focus shifts from me trying to wrap my head around why my incorrect answer could be correct, as opposed to trying to figure out what the professor was trying to teach.

This is purely psychological though.

In the end I feel like letter grading makes me study harder which is a good thing, but might take some value away from the post exam review process. On the other hand, pass/fail might lead to better post exam review learning/retention, but does remove some incentive to study as hard as if you were being graded.

It is a double edged sword. There's good and bad with both, so I think it is really a moot point. Other students may feel differently.

Anyone else obsessively checking SDN to see if anyone got a call in regards to their interview? No? Just me? Okay

just stopping by and taking a break from studying. We have first anatomy test tomorrow; so I haven't read the whole thread yet. I'm a first year here at LUCOM, a non-Christian, and I did not feel that Dr. Lui was inappropriate in classes in any way. As a matter of fact, if you went to class, listened to his lecture, and studied well; he was quite a great lecturer - very smart and well-rounded. He said something about God created resistance; but definitely NOT every 5-10 minutes. He also mentioned in class that it could also be "mother nature"; no, he did not use the word "evolution." Basically, every lecturer gave us option to think if we want to believe in God's creation, or if it is simply mother nature. On the other hand, I heard that there are a few professors that imply prejudice against non-Christians, though they said they respect us, their words and action say differently. I heard Dr. Kribs tried to push Christianity to his students in a very passive-aggressive way and it made a few students very uncomfortable. SGA; you want to look into this? I heard some concern from at least 2 people already. That's just a few portion, though. The dean and others are very open-minded and respectful to you, despite your religions. I haven't had any bias against me being a non-Christian. Sometimes, we pray before class starts, and I think it is nice, I listen, bow my head, but they do not make you feel forced at all. The convocation was optional. Dress code is rather nice, actually. The curriculum is fast-pace and definitely challenging. They are preparing us for boards. Everybody is so nice and support each other here. I love our class so far.

EDIT: one of the " suggested treatment" for Anencephaly lecture is "Therapeutic Abortion" -- hope this answers some of you about the myth about our school being a cult. We do study real medicine, embryology, and science
I am a little confused by this post. It seems you are simultaneously stating that the faculty does not respect non-christian students, erstwhile stating that the faculty does respect non-christian students?

Interviewing here NOV 3rd...

Accepted to LECOM-Seton Hill! Wow, never thought I would have such a "problem" to deal with. 2 interviews, 2 acceptances, I'm flattered!

Accepted to LECOM-Seton Hill! Wow, never thought I would have such a "problem" to deal with. 2 interviews, 2 acceptances, I'm flattered!
Which one are you leaning towards? I know LECOM is pretty cheap. But you have got to love Liberty! It has so many great things going for it :)

Which one are you leaning towards? I know LECOM is pretty cheap. But you have got to love Liberty! It has so many great things going for it :)
I totally agree, finance is definitely a factor but LUCOM just looked amazing with the new campus and all and I think I prefer lecture rather than PBL. I am still leaning on LUCOM but I have some 3 weeks to make a final decision.

Received an email this morning stating I have been placed on the interview wait list. Anyone else get this? Anyone know if they are planning interview dates in the future?

I think it helps you do better. If you get a C you try harder. If you only knew you passed, I think it would be easier to do just enough to get by rather than shooting for a B or and A.

I could go either way on this. I don't mind being graded, as it gives you some additional incentive to push for that A, however I feel like the post exam review process and learning from my errors on an exam might be better facilitated in a pass/fail system, as the focus shifts from me trying to wrap my head around why my incorrect answer could be correct, as opposed to trying to figure out what the professor was trying to teach.

This is purely psychological though.

In the end I feel like letter grading makes me study harder which is a good thing, but might take some value away from the post exam review process. On the other hand, pass/fail might lead to better post exam review learning/retention, but does remove some incentive to study as hard as if you were being graded.

It is a double edged sword. There's good and bad with both, so I think it is really a moot point. Other students may feel differently.

Thank you both for the input!

Received an email this morning stating I have been placed on the interview wait list. Anyone else get this? Anyone know if they are planning interview dates in the future?

I received that message in August and later received an interview invitation. It's a good sign. Good Luck!! :)

I received that message in August and later received an interview invitation. It's a good sign. Good Luck!! :)
I'm hoping so. I've been checking to see when people are scheduled for interviews to see how far out they are. I have seen that when II's are sent out, they are also given dates to select. So, when more dates are available, hopefully I'll move to interview.

So....I am pretty sure that D.O. is the route I want to go. I have a few up coming interviews at M.D. schools so I guess I could change my mind, but I am pretty sure that the culture and focus of D.O. schools is me. But, I have been accepted to two different D.O. schools, one close to home (Western University in Oregon) and then Liberty University. Are there any current students who moved from the west coast to attend Liberty, more specifically any married students with children? I have a tough decision to make and it doesn't help that I love both schools. I would greatly appreciate any advice :)

Hi, I moved from the west coast and am married without kids. We love Virginia so far and it's very similar to some areas of the west coast. Message me if you have any specific questions and I'll get back to you.

Last edited:
Hi, I moved from portland and am married without kids. We love Virginia so far and it's very similar to some areas of the west coast. Message me if you have any specific questions and I'll get back to you.

Could you message me, I don't think I am able to message you.

just canceled my interview for October 13th, hope that interview spot goes to one of you!

Hi everyone!

I have an interview with LUCOM and am interviewing with Dr. Troy and Dr. MIntle. Any advice?

Also, where is the best place to buy interview suits?

Hi everyone!

I have an interview with LUCOM and am interviewing with Dr. Troy and Dr. MIntle. Any advice?

Also, where is the best place to buy interview suits?
As far as suits are concerned, I just went to JCPenny when they had a sale. The best suit is a suit that fits (budget & body). Check out GQ articles on suits to get advice on fit/style. You can make a $100 suit look like $1,000 if it fits right.

I have not interviewed with Liberty, sorry I can't comment on the faculty.