Liberty University (LUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm getting pretty nervous! How many people have the 8/11 date?

Members don't see this ad.

Just a quick note about LUCOM. Since I've only been here a week, I obviously don't know it all. But here's what I do know: LUCOM faculty sit in each others lectures to ensure all lectures line up and fit in with the spiral curriculum. All exams are modeled after COMLEX style questions, and all faculty were trained by the NBOME on how to write these questions. All lectures are written with specific learning objectives in mind so there is no confusion about exams. The curriculum uses lecture, self study, team based learning and application sessions as well as OMM/anatomy labs. Tenured, highly regarded and well seasoned professors left their jobs from around the country to come here. The dean/faculty/staff treat you as an equal. As far as glitches go for being a new school- honestly they have been minimal with I think the biggest question being what to wear for orientation. Clinical sites have been established, overseas sites have been established, the building is phenomenal, and everyone there is so helpful. I absolutely love it here. They truly care about me and each one of my classmates. I feel privileged to go to such an amazing school. As I posted in the 2013/2014 thread, 10+ faculty/staff plus their families and a ton of students showed up to help me move into my house, including the dean! Should be easy to find the article :) anyway good luck! I hope I get to meet some of you guys during your interview :)

Reactions: 9 users
Hey, just checking--do all the II recipients have a DO letter?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, had a DO letter. Was waiting on it and received an II very shortly after it was received.

I'm getting pretty nervous! How many people have the 8/11 date?

I am also interviewing on 8/11. I just arrived in Lynchburg, if you want to hang out sometime before our interview just let me know.

Just a quick note about LUCOM. Since I've only been here a week, I obviously don't know it all. But here's what I do know: LUCOM faculty sit in each others lectures to ensure all lectures line up and fit in with the spiral curriculum. All exams are modeled after COMLEX style questions, and all faculty were trained by the NBOME on how to write these questions. All lectures are written with specific learning objectives in mind so there is no confusion about exams. The curriculum uses lecture, self study, team based learning and application sessions as well as OMM/anatomy labs. Tenured, highly regarded and well seasoned professors left their jobs from around the country to come here. The dean/faculty/staff treat you as an equal. As far as glitches go for being a new school- honestly they have been minimal with I think the biggest question being what to wear for orientation. Clinical sites have been established, overseas sites have been established, the building is phenomenal, and everyone there is so helpful. I absolutely love it here. They truly care about me and each one of my classmates. I feel privileged to go to such an amazing school. As I posted in the 2013/2014 thread, 10+ faculty/staff plus their families and a ton of students showed up to help me move into my house, including the dean! Should be easy to find the article :) anyway good luck! I hope I get to meet some of you guys during your interview :)

I am SO happy you posted this. Thank you.

Hey, just checking--do all the II recipients have a DO letter?

I also had a DO letter prior to receiving an ii.

Reactions: 1 user

Thank you :) please share more as your time progresses. Thanks for the insight

Just arrived here. I'm gonna go check out the campus in a little bit. I'm still deciding on where I should have dinner. Any suggestions from residents?

Just arrived here. I'm gonna go check out the campus in a little bit. I'm still deciding on where I should have dinner. Any suggestions from residents?

Best of luck! Keep us updated with your impressions, if possible :]

I heard taco bell is fantastic....:cool:

LU is not a school, it's a town. I haven't felt this lost since my first day of high school.

LU is not a school, it's a town. I haven't felt this lost since my first day of high school.
Would you be able to snap a few pics with your phone and upload it here? I saw someone else do it at their interview at KCUMB and thought it was really cool!

Either way, thanks in advance!

Sure, I'll try taking some. I saw that guy's from KCUMB, and they were pretty great shots, so don't expect stuff like that, lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
You probably already found it by now, but it is not with the rest of the campus. It is up on the hill above everything else. I drove around for awhile before I figured it out too.

I JUST found it. I'm cracking up from all the places I've checked. I was WAY off.

I JUST found it. I'm cracking up from all the places I've checked. I was WAY off.

I did the same thing! It was definitely worth it though. The building is awesome, I stood outside in the parking lot for a few minutes just taking it all in.

I did the same thing! It was definitely worth it though. The building is awesome, I stood outside in the parking lot for a few minutes just taking it all in.

Yeah, I'm really impressed with everything. These hills are killing me, though! I've never had my ears pop while driving. I'm from Miami. Everything there is FLAT. I feel like I'm on a roller coaster with every turn I take.

Wow, pretty big change for you then. I have spent the whole day roaming around looking at housing options, schools, the hospital, potential jobs for my wife, etc. I am really liking everything so far. It probably seems like a tiny town to you, but it is actually several times bigger than what I am used to. I have to admit, I am pleasantly surprised.

If anyone wants specific directions to find the COM, it's on Candlers Mountain Road (there is an exit for the road from 460). If you want to GPS your way there, have it navigate to Snowflex Centre (4000 Candlers Mountain Road). Instead of turning left into Snowflex, you're going to keep going up Candlers Mountain Road and take a right onto Liberty View. I hope this helps! Good luck on your interviews, everyone!

Yes, I believe so. Be a few minutes early though to be safe!

I'm gonna get a whole five minutes of sleep tonight. I'm so excited for tomorrow!

Reactions: 1 users
Haha...I totally saw cars driving around today when I got to school to study. A little late now but La Carreta is good if you like Mexican food...although people who know real authentic Mexican food tend to disagree lol. Good luck tomorrow! Who are you interviewing with?

I'm curious about what everybody on here thinks regarding the controversy about LUCOM (the biology department teaching creationism and evolution, favoring creationism). I'm 50/50 about applying here, since I have family in Lynchburg.

I'm curious about what everybody on here thinks regarding the controversy about LUCOM (the biology department teaching creationism and evolution, favoring creationism). I'm 50/50 about applying here, since I have family in Lynchburg.
Neither is "taught" per se. We aren't given exams on creationism/evolution because obviously you don't see that on the boards. They will tell you they aren't sorry for being Christian. Some profs pray before class. There are lots of non Christians here. I assume they just don't participate. The profs don't "force feed" you creationism. Then again I am a Christian so I probably perceive it differently. In my opinion it's not over-done. It actually ties in quite nicely with OMM/osteopathic philosophy if you ask me. I say, see it for yourself. The school is amazing. The only "new" part about this place is the building. Every prof has years of experience/tenure. Even the dean has started another med school before. They know what they're doing. You obviously don't have to participate in convocation or the occasional pre lecture prayer. None of my non Christian classmates have complained so I assume it doesn't bother them. Keep in mind you don't have to be a Christian for them to like you. James Cook (admissions) will say over and over they want servant hearts. Demonstrate that. If that's what you want (to serve), then liberty is the school for you.

Neither is "taught" per se. We aren't given exams on creationism/evolution because obviously you don't see that on the boards. They will tell you they aren't sorry for being Christian. Some profs pray before class. There are lots of non Christians here. I assume they just don't participate. The profs don't "force feed" you creationism. Then again I am a Christian so I probably perceive it differently. In my opinion it's not over-done. It actually ties in quite nicely with OMM/osteopathic philosophy if you ask me. I say, see it for yourself. The school is amazing. The only "new" part about this place is the building. Every prof has years of experience/tenure. Even the dean has started another med school before. They know what they're doing. You obviously don't have to participate in convocation or the occasional pre lecture prayer. None of my non Christian classmates have complained so I assume it doesn't bother them. Keep in mind you don't have to be a Christian for them to like you. James Cook (admissions) will say over and over they want servant hearts. Demonstrate that. If that's what you want (to serve), then liberty is the school for you.

Gotcha. Thanks for the nice reply. I think the controversy I referred to applies to undergrad. I don't know anything about the med school, other than it's brand spankin' new. Curious to see what types of residencies the first class lands. Also, how is the clinical experience? Centra seems to be their big thing.

Centra is the big thing. Multiple locations, most only 45min or less away.

Turkturkelton: what did you think? Weren't those students who came up to talk to you super nice?? ;) lol

Centra is the big thing. Multiple locations, most only 45min or less away.

Turkturkelton: what did you think? Weren't those students who came up to talk to you super nice?? ;) lol

One word to describe my experience would be "impressed." LUCOM definitely has a lot to offer. Only advice to others is that if you get an interview, TAKE IT!
And the students were great, lol. Lots of LU undergrads who introduced themselves.

One word to describe my experience would be "impressed." LUCOM definitely has a lot to offer. Only advice to others is that if you get an interview, TAKE IT!
And the students were great, lol. Lots of LU undergrads who introduced themselves.
If you were up at the COM you should've met a bunch of 1st year med students. Did you get to visit the main campus (off the mountain)?

How did the interviews go for those of you who interviewed yesterday? What are your thoughts? Any advice?

Just met with a friend last night who is graduating undergrad from LU in December. She had nothing but great things to say about COM. She said the building is beautiful and some of her friends are in the inaugural class and they love it so far. She also said her major follows the spiral curriculum style and she loves it. I'll admit, I was slightly apprehensive about applying here, being a brand new med school and all of the controversy, but she definitely made me feel a lot better about it. I am really excited about LUCOM now. She also told me that most of her friends who are science majors at Liberty did not even receive secondaries, so the fact that I got one made me feel a lot better about my app. My DO letter should be submitted within a week. That's the only thing I am waiting for to complete my app, so hopefully I'll get an ii. LUCOM is definitely one of my top choices now.

It took me awhile to submit my secondary compared to when I received it because I was waiting for a D.O. letter. I received the interview invite a few days after I turned it in, so hopefully you will hear back quickly! Anyone interviewing on the 18th?

Official numbers for entering class is median 24 MCAT and 3.4 GPA. I would guess average is 23.xx and 3.3x.

Official numbers for entering class is median 24 MCAT and 3.4 GPA. I would guess average is 23.xx and 3.3x.

Thats not as bad as most people were making it out to be. MCAT maybe a little lower, but the GPA is right around the average of DO schools.

Edit: May I ask where you got the info from?

I dont think those are correct... unless their website is out dated.

"The inaugural class features a median MCAT score of 25 and a median GPA of 3.5. It represents 30 universities, 25 states, and two countries, with 35 percent of its students from Virginia or an adjacent state. The class is 52 percent male and 48 percent female."

http://www.liberty.edu/news/index.cfm?PID=18495&MID=121228

I dont think those are correct... unless their website is out dated.

"The inaugural class features a median MCAT score of 25 and a median GPA of 3.5. It represents 30 universities, 25 states, and two countries, with 35 percent of its students from Virginia or an adjacent state. The class is 52 percent male and 48 percent female."

http://www.liberty.edu/news/index.cfm?PID=18495&MID=121228

The website isnt out of date but that page of the website is. Here you go:

http://www.liberty.edu/aboutliberty/index.cfm?PID=30383

There are also using median not mean. Even that 24 /3.4 is inflated.

Thats not as bad as most people were making it out to be. MCAT maybe a little lower, but the GPA is right around the average of DO schools.

Edit: May I ask where you got the info from?

Check the link.

Also that pretty bad especially considering they are using median. The 3.4 is alright (nothing to be excited about) and the 24 (I suspect its lower) is the lowest of any DO school. The average person going to lucom has an MCAT below the national average. I would bet there are plenty 21/22s walking around. Also please know lucom adcoms are on here. I just want to point out some numbers for you guys.

Check the link.

Also that pretty bad especially considering they are using median. The 3.4 is alright (nothing to be excited about) and the 24 (I suspect its lower) is the lowest of any DO school. The average person going to lucom has an MCAT below the national average. I would bet there are plenty 21/22s walking around. Also please know lucom adcoms are on here. I just want to point out some numbers for you guys.

Did you get a ii?

Turk! What did you think? Eagerly anticipating your input

Turk! What did you think? Eagerly anticipating your input

Hey, lol. I didn't post too much because I didn't want to ruin any of the surprise I experienced. A lot of people on here are talking trash, and that just makes the interview day THAT much better. You interview Friday, right? Honestly, just be yourself and prepare to be blown away.

Check the link.

I get what you are saying. It does sound bad since it's the median, but at the same time does that really tell you anything?
Is someone's MCAT score really a good indication of who they are as a person and the type of doctor they are going to become? Not at all. I work as an ER Scribe and all of the doctors that I have talked about the MCAT with say it is terrible indicator of what makes a good doctor. The same goes for grades also. I understand there has to be some sort of gauge across the board, but I can't say it is very fair because everyone learns differently. I know someone who got a 40 on his MCAT, yet he is the most socially awkward person I have ever met and has terrible relationship and communication skills. Sure, he is clearly a good standardized test taker, but that is not what is going to make him a good doctor. Patients are not going to choose you as their doctor over someone else because you had a higher GPA and did better on your MCAT. They are going to choose you for who you are as a person and how you treat them. The MCAT does not gauge that and that's why it is frustrating that is such a determining factor on an application.

Even though LUCOM's median is "low" compared to other schools, I personally respect that. I think it shows that the students they selected as part of their inaugural class were those who they saw the most potential in and wanted to invest in to become great doctors. Obviously, judging by those numbers, those who they believed in did not have the highest GPAs or MCAT scores, and I appreciate that. It is reassuring to know that I am being considered not based on just numbers, but on who I am as a person and the potential they see in me to be a great doctor. I wish it was more like that across the board.

Sure, you can argue those who got it in at LUCOM got rejected everywhere else and LUCOM needed to fill their class, blah blah blah. Those types of arguments are all over on here. But in all honesty, do you really think that LUCOM would "take who ever was willing to go" to fill their inaugural class? That's absurd. The inaugural class is what is going to represent LUCOM and set their reputation as a medical school. They obviously had a reason for picking the students they did.

A cartoon to further explain my point:

Attachments

• photo-2.JPG
    photo-2.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 66
I am also a LUCOM student, and I am Christian, but like EH123 said, you don't have to go to convocation, you don't have to pray, but just be respectful of other people's religions. I also feel that by going here, it can help you relate to people of different religions, because once you're a physician, you're going to be dealing with people who have different religions and their beliefs may play a role in how you provide for them. All of my friends that I have met so far are non-Christian and love the school. We get out at a decent time, we are able to have group discussions, the faculty is fantastic and very helpful. All of the professors were professors from other schools that came here to give us an education and are doing a fantastic job. Please feel free to ask me any questions.

I am also a LUCOM student, and I am Christian, but like EH123 said, you don't have to go to convocation, you don't have to pray, but just be respectful of other people's religions. I also feel that by going here, it can help you relate to people of different religions, because once you're a physician, you're going to be dealing with people who have different religions and their beliefs may play a role in how you provide for them. All of my friends that I have met so far are non-Christian and love the school. We get out at a decent time, we are able to have group discussions, the faculty is fantastic and very helpful. All of the professors were professors from other schools that came here to give us an education and are doing a fantastic job. Please feel free to ask me any questions.

Why did you choose lucom? Did you pick lucom over another school? What are your feelings towards the fact that this university doesn't believe in evolution?

Didn't apply to this school.

So then what's the point of even posting that? People applying to LUCOM who are wondering that information can google it themselves. If not, they can just check on the regular thread since it's already been posted.
Although we're in the middle of the application cycle, we must be doing something to keep ourselves busy, or at least something productive to show medical schools. You're a smart individual, why even bother wasting your time with such petty stuff? You're clearly above the average LUCOM student, so you don't need their approval in any way. And trying to discourage people from applying to a school they may like without even informing yourself personally doesn't sound like something you'd do either. I've followed your posts on here and I can deduce you're an exceptional person. I'm sure you have better things to do than stuff like this, lol. Unless you're trying to do LUCOM a favor and weed out the insincere applicants who would obviously miss out on a chance of a lifetime. Although that seems like the only logical thing an established, confident individual would be doing right now, I'm here to tell you don't have to anymore. LUCOM is doing a great job at that already.

So then what's the point of even posting that? People applying to LUCOM who are wondering that information can google it themselves. If not, they can just check on the regular thread since it's already been posted.
Although we're in the middle of the application cycle, we must be doing something to keep ourselves busy, or at least something productive to show medical schools. You're a smart individual, why even bother wasting your time with such petty stuff? You're clearly above the average LUCOM student, so you don't need their approval in any way. And trying to discourage people from applying to a school they may like without even informing yourself personally doesn't sound like something you'd do either. I've followed your posts on here and I can deduce you're an exceptional person. I'm sure you have better things to do than stuff like this, lol. Unless you're trying to do LUCOM a favor and weed out the insincere applicants who would obviously miss out on a chance of a lifetime. Although that seems like the only logical thing an established, confident individual would be doing right now, I'm here to tell you don't have to anymore. LUCOM is doing a great job at that already.
Glad the interview went well, Turk! Keeping my fingers crossed for some good news for you in the next couple weeks!

I'm not above the average lucom applicant. My stats may be higher then them but that makes me in no way superior. I don't need approval from anyone.

I just wanted to get that out of the way.

And yes it has been posted but some people like jsx still remember the old numbers so I was just trying to point it out further.

Moving on.

My goal with anti lucom posts is to make evident their beliefs. If your cool with that fine but at the very least be aware what you are getting into!

You seem to be interested in this school so more power to you.

Last edited:
I'm not above the average lucom applicant. My stats may be higher then them but that makes me in no way superior. I don't need approval from anyone.

And yes it has been posted but some people like jsx still remember the old numbers so I was just trying to point it our further.

Moving on.

My goal with anti lucom posts is to make evident their beliefs. If your cool with that fine but at the very least be aware what you are getting into!

You seem to be interested in this
school so more power to you.[/

I'm sorry, I could've sworn you mentioned class stats first. SDN must have the times confused because it shows you're the one to comment about it. Incompetent machine. I think people applying to LUCOM know what they are getting into. If not, the admissions committee does a good job at explaining what they do and how they teach during the interview day. What they don't do is force applicants to accept their offer. Once again, I promise, LUCOM is doing a great job at informing their applicants. You are relieved of your duties. Seriously. It's okay. Like for real.

QUOTE]

Why did you choose lucom? Did you pick lucom over another school? What are your feelings towards the fact that this university doesn't believe in evolution?
I did pick LUCOM over another school, because I liked the environment better, I enjoy the Christian foundation of the school, the faculty seemed really nice that I had met at the time of my interview. The people were also very professional, treated us as equals, and help teach us how to behave in a professional way for when we are actual physicians. I do not go to church everyday and have only been to their convocation once, but it's nice to know it's there if I would like to attend. The way the school was presented during my interview let me see the people for who they were and I liked those people, it felt like a place that I could see myself going for 4 years without having any regrets about my decision. It is not the fact that they do not believe in evolution, they are not teaching against it. We have had one micro class as of right now and have talked about how bacteria change over time and evolve, there is no debate about that or how bacteria become resistant to antibiotics. Evolution as far as who the ancestors of humans are is not an issue either, because that is not something that we are focusing on as medical students, so that never played a role in if I was going to choose this school. I hope this helps.

Oops. My response is in the quote. Sorry, I'm on my phone. I'm sure it's still easy to find.

And yes it has been posted but some people like jsx still remember the old numbers so I was just trying to point it our further.

Moving on.

You seem to be interested in this school so more power to you.

As Turk said, you posted the numbers first. If it was truly your intent to inform us, then I appreciate you posting the updated stats. I guess the reason i "remembered the old numbers" is because they mean absolutely nothing to me. It is not where my focus is at, as I discussed is my last post.

My question to you is why do you have such an issue with their beliefs, so much so that you spend your time trying to "inform" others not to go. For those of us who have chosen to apply, I am sure we have all done our research and are aware of both the good and the bad. You make it sound like you are trying to save us, but it's not like we are being tricked into thinking we are signing up for medical school and then we end up getting there and it's seminary school. They are teaching you Osteopathy, which ironically is very similar in principle to the Christian philosophy (i.e. service to others, compassion, humility, humanity... etc.... ). Why is it such an issue for you that they focus on these things? Are they bad qualities for a person to have? Don't you think we need more people with those qualities in the world?

Every Osteopathic school mentions the same principles/beliefs. But because Liberty categorizes as Christian then suddenly everything they stand for is bad? That makes no sense. I guess a better question would be, if you are opposed to those things then why do you want to be DO anyway? My intent is not to be rude or degrading, but do you even know anything about the Osteopathic philosophy? Cause it seems to me you are so against the things Liberty stands for , yet it is the type of education you are choosing to pursue.....

Not trying to argue. I am just trying to understand where your perspective is coming from. Also, I wanted to mention something regarding your comment about evolution. I think your focus on this is way off. I am going to play devils advocate and not state my personal beliefs, but thinking about it from a neutral perspective. Creation or Evolution-- you believe in one or the other. Both require some type of faith. Both have evidence to prove/disprove each other. They both sound equally ridiculous when you think about them. There is always going to be a debate. It is never going to be resolved. Regardless of your stance on the issue, it doesn't change the medicine. You are still going to be studying the same human body, whether you believe a God made it or it evolved. It doesn't function differently based on your beliefs. So does it really matter? There are going to be people who believe both at any school you go too. You're not going to medical school to debate origins. You are going to medical school to learn medicine. Whether you believe one or the other, you'll still come out being a doctor.

Those are my thoughts. Maybe I am missing something and am completely off point in my logic. In that case, I would like to hear your reasoning for why I should care so much about this issue in my decision to go to a medical school, when it is totally irrelevant.