Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
in!!!!!

top school right here!!!

sidenote: any idea if the amount of seats are going to be changing?

FYI Stats for 1st class is looking like this:
26-27 MCAT 3.5-3.6 GPAs.

Dang those are pretty high stats for a new school...

tumblr_m4s7h4CkIi1rrdvx9o1_400.gif

also any idea when they are going to start interviewing this cycle?

does this school tend to be oos friendly?

does this school tend to be oos friendly?

It was created to deal with the shortage of physicians in Indiana, so obviously they want to recruit applicants who are planning to stay in Indiana after graduating.

Hey guys! I interviewed here last cycle and would be happy to answer any questions regarding interview day. Good luck, everyone!

In from Texas.

The fact that the admissions is on SDN answering questions/providing updates is great.

3.5 cGPA
3.25 sGPA
4.0 gGPA
Expecting MCAT Score on 27-29.

Members don't see this ad :)
In from Texas.

The fact that the admissions is on SDN answering questions/providing updates is great.

3.5 cGPA
3.25 sGPA
4.0 gGPA
Expecting MCAT Score on 27-29.

I've been following you, LM. Good luck!

Yeah, I love the fact that admissions has been answering questions. This is definitely one thing that attracts me to this school.

My stats:

MI resident (googled Marion and it isn't too far from my house though)

3.76 cGPA
3.86 sGPA
3.96 graduate
taking MCAT in July
Tons of clinical and volunteering hours

Good luck to everyone applying for admission to the Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine program at Marian University’s College of Osteopathic Medicine (MU-COM) for the entering fall 2014 class.

In addition to the DO program, MU-COM will start a graduate program in BioMedical Sciences for fall 2014. More information on both programs, including admission and application requirements, will follow in the future.

Request more info at http://marian.edu/osteopathic-medical-school/admissions/student-inquiry-form. Finally, save the date of September 6th for our fall open house.

We appreciate your interest—and trust in us.

MU-COM Admissions

Good luck to everyone applying for admission to the Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine program at Marian University’s College of Osteopathic Medicine (MU-COM) for the entering fall 2014 class.

In addition to the DO program, MU-COM will start a graduate program in BioMedical Sciences for fall 2014. More information on both programs, including admission and application requirements, will follow in the future.

Request more info at http://marian.edu/osteopathic-medical-school/admissions/student-inquiry-form. Finally, save the date of September 6th for our fall open house.

We appreciate your interest—and trust in us.

MU-COM Admissions

:thumbup:

I've been following you, LM. Good luck!

Yeah, I love the fact that admissions has been answering questions. This is definitely one thing that attracts me to this school.

My stats:

MI resident (googled Marion and it isn't too far from my house though)

3.76 cGPA
3.86 sGPA
3.96 graduate
taking MCAT in July
Tons of clinical and volunteering hours

You from SW Michigan?

How much will it help to be from the Chicago area? I'm only 3 hours away from MU by car.

I'm pretty sure that it is all about personal convenience. Knowing that my family is but a few hours away makes things easier on me if I need help....knowing that I won't have to drive hours and hours to an interview...those sort of things. :)

I thought being from surrounding states helps?

I'm sure it doesn't hurt...it seems like there are a lot of folks from the region in the class right now. There are people who aren't from the region also though.

I thought being from surrounding states helps? You're from Michigan right?

I'm in MI.

Is this the school which prefers the northeast? Can't remember now. Then maybe it would help. That would be awesome! :)

Former Indianapolis resident. cGPA 3.54/ sGPA 3.43
If I've recently moved, but still have family and very strong connections to the area, is that the same as being in-state ish?
Also, from what I've heard, the Indianapolis heath community is strongly getting behind this program. Rotations should be amazing.

Former Indianapolis resident. cGPA 3.54/ sGPA 3.43
If I've recently moved, but still have family and very strong connections to the area, is that the same as being in-state ish?
Also, from what I've heard, the Indianapolis heath community is strongly getting behind this program. Rotations should be amazing.

I am sure that strong ties to Indy will be considered. There is definately strong health community support and amazing rotations lined up. Good luck on the MCAT if you haven't taken it yet ;)

MU-COM:

Sorry for all the questions, but I read that you only take into consideration the last 120 credits? Is this true? (I'm wondering because if so my cgpa jumps from a 3.5 to a 3.6, and my nonscience from a 3.7 to a 3.9)

How much will it help to be from the Chicago area? I'm only 3 hours away from MU by car.

If it helps, there are quite a few people from the Chicago area in the Fall 2013 class. :)
Da Bears. :cool: :thumbup:

If it helps, there are quite a few people from the Chicago area in the Fall 2013 class. :)
Da Bears. :cool: :thumbup:

everyone I interviewed with was from either Illinois, Indiana, Michigan or Minnesota
I think they have a pretty strong midwest bias

MU-COM:

Sorry for all the questions, but I read that you only take into consideration the last 120 credits? Is this true? (I'm wondering because if so my cgpa jumps from a 3.5 to a 3.6, and my nonscience from a 3.7 to a 3.9)

I thought that they put special emphasis on the last 120 credits for cutoff purposes, because I was granted an interview with a GPA well below their suggested cutoff, and the only explanation is that my last 120 credits were well above their suggested cutoff. I believe during consideration they look at you whole record, but obviously focus more on the more recent work than the older work. In any case, your GPAs are already at or above their averages, so you shouldn't be too worried :).

But, you can wait and see what MUCOM says to be sure.

To everyone applying this cycle: If you haven't already, it may be beneficial to check out last year's thread for MU-COM http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=912634
Since it's a new school we asked a lot of questions and posted all the answers we found out (either from MU-COM posting on here or from us contacting admissions at MU-COM to find out the scoop). It's a long thread 50+ pages, I think? But well worth the read if you want more info on MU-COM.
Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!!! :luck: I will be attending MU-COM this Fall and I can tell you that our whole class is really enthusiastic and excited about choosing this school. Maybe I'll get to meet some of you at interviews this next cycle?!!? Who knows! If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me. :)

everyone I interviewed with was from either Illinois, Indiana, Michigan or Minnesota
I think they have a pretty strong midwest bias
Cool! :)

I thought that they put special emphasis on the last 120 credits for cutoff purposes, because I was granted an interview with a GPA well below their suggested cutoff, and the only explanation is that my last 120 credits were well above their suggested cutoff. I believe during consideration they look at you whole record, but obviously focus more on the more recent work than the older work. In any case, your GPAs are already at or above their averages, so you shouldn't be too worried :).

But, you can wait and see what MUCOM says to be sure.
That would be awesome if they did. That would put me at very close to a 4.0.

MU-COM:

Since we use a holistic review of your application, the GPA is only one part. For specifics on GPA and other aspects considered, please see our website at http://www.marian.edu/osteopathic-medical-school/admissions/requirements-for-admission

MU-COM Admissions

Just a friendly bump to keep this thread from the nether-pages:

hZ69i.gif

[YOUTUBE]bdGQfC3UIcs[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks for sharing! A great little segment. Getting excited!

I know this is random but I keep telling people that classes start this fall and in this clip they said classes start later this summer.... that freaked me out a bit. It's coming up so fast!!! :eek: "Fall" feels a lot further away than "Later this summer" :scared:

Last edited:
Figured I'd drop this video off here as well because I know that I really enjoyed it when I was looking into schools last cycle. The MU-COM website situation has gotten a little funky since they started re-working the page. This video can only be found on the older webpage as far as I can tell. It is a virtual tour of the Michael A. Evans Center for Health Sciences (where the COM will be) at Marian University.

Either way, I am sure they will put some new stuff out when the building is complete, but until then this gives you a little taste...and is a pretty cool video too.

[YOUTUBE]SRjc6lCQOuI[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Did the building end up looking like the virtual tour in the video?

Did the building end up looking like the virtual tour in the video?

I can't really speak for the interior yet because when I've seen it in person, it has still been under a pretty decent amount of construction...but yea, from what I have seen it did turn out looking just like the rendering in the virtual tour video. In person, the building looks awesome. The faculty has also updated us a few times with pictures of the interior as it has progressed and it looks great too. Definitely one of the nicer, if not the nicest, facilities I've seen. Sounds like they went all out on pretty much every aspect of the building. I am really looking forward to seeing it 100% completed.

Last edited:
FYI Stats for 1st class is looking like this:
26-27 MCAT 3.5-3.6 GPAs.

I'm interested in knowing whether these stats are from an adcom or from another source, these seem really high for a new school. I'm interested in applying here this cycle and these stats have got me sweating :scared:

Also, does anyone know what the minimum's are for this school (i.e. what the lowest stats they take in for secondary applications and maybe possibly interviews).

I'm interested in knowing whether these stats are from an adcom or from another source, these seem really high for a new school. I'm interested in applying here this cycle and these stats have got me sweating :scared:

Also, does anyone know what the minimum's are for this school (i.e. what the lowest stats they take in for secondary applications and maybe possibly interviews).

Those stats were recently released by MU-COM admissions to admitted students. While they could certainly change by the time classes start, I doubt they will by much.

Your next question about minimums is kinda hard to give a straight answer to. MU-COM really seems to look at your whole application. That being said, here is what they say about minimums on their website:

"To be considered a competitive applicant, candidates should have achieved at least a 3.20 science and cumulative grade point average, on a 4.00 scale.
The minimum overall GPA for acceptance is 3.00 in the last 120 hours; however, students with a GPA less than 3.20 are rarely accepted.
The admissions process is competitive, and a higher grade point average (above 3.40) results in improved chances for acceptance. COMs place emphasis on the last 120 credit hours and on the science and required courses when choosing between competitive applicants. COMs also place emphasis on the applicant's interview.

Applicants must submit scores from the MCAT. For the current admissions cycle, the college will accept the September MCAT administration from up to four years prior to the date of matriculation. A competitive MCAT score usually begins at 24; however the MCAT is weighed in connection with GPA and personal qualities. The overall GPA and the interview are considered of most importance. "

" What is the expected average GPA of the DO class entering 2013?
Since MU-COM has not yet enrolled any students, we cannot provide any profile data for our college of osteopathic medicine.
However, the national profile of the 2011 entering class for all osteopathic medical school reveals an overall mean GPA of 3.48. For this group, the mean GPA in science is 3.36 and non-science 3.58. We anticipate similar numbers for our entering class in 2013. If your GPA is below 3.3, then this would deserve attention, recommend improving it to become more competitive. Graduate work with demonstrated high success in biomedical science would positively influence the admissions committee.

What is the expected average MCAT score of the DO class entering 2013?
Since MU-COM has not yet enrolled any students, we cannot provide any profile data for our college of osteopathic medicine.
However, the national profile of the 2011 entering class for all osteopathic medical schools reports a mean Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) score of 26.51, calculated from a total of 8.66 verbal, 9.33 biological science, and 8.52 physical science. If your MCAT score is below 25, then this would deserve attention, recommend improving it to become more competitive."

Those stats were recently released by MU-COM admissions to admitted students. While they could certainly change by the time classes start, I doubt they will by much.

Your next question about minimums is kinda hard to give a straight answer to. MU-COM really seems to look at your whole application. That being said, here is what they say about minimums on their website:

"To be considered a competitive applicant, candidates should have achieved at least a 3.20 science and cumulative grade point average, on a 4.00 scale.
The minimum overall GPA for acceptance is 3.00 in the last 120 hours; however, students with a GPA less than 3.20 are rarely accepted.
The admissions process is competitive, and a higher grade point average (above 3.40) results in improved chances for acceptance. COMs place emphasis on the last 120 credit hours and on the science and required courses when choosing between competitive applicants. COMs also place emphasis on the applicant’s interview.

Applicants must submit scores from the MCAT. For the current admissions cycle, the college will accept the September MCAT administration from up to four years prior to the date of matriculation. A competitive MCAT score usually begins at 24; however the MCAT is weighed in connection with GPA and personal qualities. The overall GPA and the interview are considered of most importance. "

" What is the expected average GPA of the DO class entering 2013?
However, the national profile of the 2011 entering class for all osteopathic medical school reveals an overall mean GPA of 3.48. For this group, the mean GPA in science is 3.36 and non-science 3.58. We anticipate similar numbers for our entering class in 2013. If your GPA is below 3.3, then this would deserve attention, recommend improving it to become more competitive. Graduate work with demonstrated high success in biomedical science would positively influence the admissions committee.

What is the expected average MCAT score of the DO class entering 2013?
However, the national profile of the 2011 entering class for all osteopathic medical schools reports a mean Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) score of 26.51, calculated from a total of 8.66 verbal, 9.33 biological science, and 8.52 physical science. If your MCAT score is below 25, then this would deserve attention, recommend improving it to become more competitive."

Thanks a lot for the info.

I'm hoping for a miracle on my july MCAT

Do you think applying somewhere in the mid - end of the application cycle will hurt me with my stats ?

Thanks a lot for the info.

I'm hoping for a miracle on my july MCAT

Do you think applying somewhere in the mid - end of the application cycle will hurt me with my stats ?

The sooner you can apply is always the best. If you're not taking the MCAT until July, remember that you won't get your score for 1 month after that. Have your app ready to go and submit it as soon as you are able to. Good luck!

The sooner you can apply is always the best. If you're not taking the MCAT until July, remember that you won't get your score for 1 month after that. Have your app ready to go and submit it as soon as you are able to. Good luck!

I am gunning for the 25/26 July MCAT, but I would start working on my application only after the test. I hope that wouldnt be terribly late :scared:, I really want to go to this school after reading about all the good things other applicants had to say about it in the previous cycle's thread.

the sooner you can apply is always the best. If you're not taking the mcat until july, remember that you won't get your score for 1 month after that. Have your app ready to go and submit it as soon as you are able to. Good luck!

+1!

I am gunning for the 25/26 July MCAT, but I would start working on my application only after the test. I hope that wouldnt be terribly late :scared:, I really want to go to this school after reading about all the good things other applicants had to say about it in the previous cycle's thread.

The smartest thing to do (if you are going to take the MCAT in late July) is have your application ready to submit the day your test scores come in. You are going to have 30 days between test time and receiving your results to work on it. You could even apply to one school that isn't very high up on your list to get your application verified before you get your test score back. This will save you some more time since you won't have to wait for AACOMAS to verify your GPA etc when you are ready to submit to the other schools with your test score. Whatever you decide to do, good luck on the MCAT!

Last edited:
For the 2013-2014 admissions cycle, MU-COM has established the following dates:

June 26, 2013
- Supplemental application opens

September 13, 2013
- Interviews start

September 19, 2013
- Admissions committee starts

March 1, 2014
- AACOMAS application deadline

April 1, 2014
- Supplemental application deadline

April 4, 2014
- Processing ends ... materials received after this date will not be processed

April 26, 2014
- Interviews end

May 15, 2014
- Admissions committee ends

MU-COM reserves the right to change these dates.

Sincerely,
MU-COM Admissions

The smartest thing to do (if you are going to take the MCAT in late July) is have your application ready to submit the day your test scores come in. You are going to have 30 days between test time and receiving your results to work on it. You could even apply to one school that isn't very high up on your list to get your application verified before you get your test score back. This will save you some more time since you won't have to wait for AACOMAS to verify your GPA etc when you are ready to submit to the other schools with your test score. Whatever you decide to do, good luck on the MCAT!

I suppose that should work out well ! :idea:

I have one question though. From what I understand Mr Kenobi, you think I should wait till I get my scores back for submitting the application to AACOMAS or to the schools ?

The help you guys are giving is just pure AwesomeSauce ! :D

For the 2013-2014 admissions cycle, MU-COM has established the following dates:

June 26, 2013
- Supplemental application opens

September 13, 2013
- Interviews start

September 19, 2013
- Admissions committee starts

March 1, 2014
- AACOMAS application deadline

April 1, 2014
- Supplemental application deadline

April 4, 2014
- Processing ends ... materials received after this date will not be processed

April 26, 2014
- Interviews end

May 15, 2014
- Admissions committee ends

MU-COM reserves the right to change these dates.

Sincerely,
MU-COM Admissions

I cant thank you enough for these very invaluable updates.