Michigan State c/o 2019 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I emailed Donna Grooms yesterday so I'll see if she is able to respond today. My info carried over from last year, so IDK why it would be empty :(

Edit: Just checked again...everything's up to date! Yay!
Thats good!

But also, I need advice on my experience sections. My sections' dates are kinda messed up. I think it's because for some experiences I had the date on my VMCAS as (lets say) Start: Feb 2014 and End: Feb 2014 as in the experience was 1 month in length, but on the MSU supp it shows the date as Feb 1st 2014 till Feb 1st 2014. This looks terrible esp since its listing LOTS of hours in only one day which is not possible. Should I have them change all these dates?

Members don't see this ad.

Thats good!

But also, I need advice on my experience sections. My sections' dates are kinda messed up. I think it's because for some experiences I had the date on my VMCAS as (lets say) Start: Feb 2014 and End: Feb 2014 as in the experience was 1 month in length, but on the MSU supp it shows the date as Feb 1st 2014 till Feb 1st 2014. This looks terrible esp since its listing LOTS of hours in only one day which is not possible. Should I have them change all these dates?
I'd e-mail them and say that the dates aren't correct. She manually fixed my errors, so she'd be happy to yours too I bet! Better safe than sorry..you deserve to have a perfect app!

Does anyone else feel like they're repeating their personal statement a bit on the "essay" section?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone else feel like they're repeating their personal statement a bit on the "essay" section?
Yeah....this supplemental killed me last year and is doing it again this year. 900 characters is not enough to tell you why something impacted me, affected my education, and will make me a better veterinarian. I feel like nothing that i put down will sound intelligent.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah....this supplemental killed me last year and is doing it again this year. 900 characters is not enough to tell you why something impacted me, affected my education, and will make me a better veterinarian. I feel like nothing that i put down will sound intelligent.

I'm having this same problem!! I can answer *one* of those questions in 900 words!! I'm working on it right now and I feel like my sentences sound like this:

I like dogs. I have dogs. Having dogs will make me a good vet. (okay, not really, but they do seem that choppy!!)

The research section is the hardest...I have a ton of research experience.... I can't even describe one of my projects in 900 characters, let alone all of my projects, the skills I have learned in doing them, publications, presentations, AND contact info!!!!

The research section is the hardest...I have a ton of research experience.... I can't even describe one of my projects in 900 characters, let alone all of my projects, the skills I have learned in doing them, publications, presentations, AND contact info!!!!
The struggle is real. And, if I'm not mistaken, this is the sole determining factor as to whether or not we get those bonus points (as opposed to our VMCAS app being a factor in that decision).

Reactions: 1 user
This application supplemental is making me very nervous too! Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
I suppose I should be thankful that it didn't come right before I fly home for a few days! Although I am recovering from a nasty cold and just need to sleep. Hang in there guys!

Paid, submitted, and officially going on a brain-vacation until I hear back from somewhere!

My application finallyyy got verified today. So hopefully I'll get the supplemental soon. :)

Application verified and hoping to hear from Michigan soon!

I'm still "Meeting VMCAS Requirements" :-( That's what I get for submitting Oct 1.

Members don't see this ad :)
Supplemental submitted and fee paid! Let the waiting game begin.

Anyone else still waiting on the supplemental app? I got it a lot sooner last year.

Anyone else still waiting on the supplemental app? I got it a lot sooner last year.
Has your application been verified? You should get it the week after your application is verified.

I was VMCAS verified October 21 and received an email today that I should be receiving the supplemental by the end of this week.

"Effective for the 2014/2015 application cycle, MSU CVM will be conducting Multiple Mini Interviews or MMI. Interview dates for fall 2014 are October 21, December 12, and December 13. An invitation and additional information about the MMI will be sent to those applicants selected for interviews. Additional interview dates will be scheduled in January and February, 2015 and these dates will be announced at a later date. If you are invited to interview and you reside outside of the continental United States, you will be instructed to contact [email protected] to make alternate arrangements."

Just to verify...no one has heard back yet, correct? I could have sworn that they actually stated the December dates were cancelled, too.

And http://cvm.msu.edu/student-information/dvm-program-admissions/multiple-mini-interviews is a new thing on the site if no one has seen it yet!

"Effective for the 2014/2015 application cycle, MSU CVM will be conducting Multiple Mini Interviews or MMI. Interview dates for fall 2014 are October 21, December 12, and December 13. An invitation and additional information about the MMI will be sent to those applicants selected for interviews. Additional interview dates will be scheduled in January and February, 2015 and these dates will be announced at a later date. If you are invited to interview and you reside outside of the continental United States, you will be instructed to contact [email protected] to make alternate arrangements."

Just to verify...no one has heard back yet, correct? I could have sworn that they actually stated the December dates were cancelled, too.

And http://cvm.msu.edu/student-information/dvm-program-admissions/multiple-mini-interviews is a new thing on the site if no one has seen it yet!
December 12th and 13th - smack dab in the middle of finals week. Fabulous.

Last time I spoke with them, I was told that they had to cancel the October date and were working out the days for December. Not sure if they cancelled them after I spoke to them or not. All they told me was that they had one day planned at the beginning of December and one towards the end of the month. I hope they change those two December days because I graduate on the 14th and don't want to miss it.

So...with all this talk about interview dates....does anyone know when we can expect to hear about invites (or....rejections :( )

Last time I spoke with them, I was told that they had to cancel the October date and were working out the days for December. Not sure if they cancelled them after I spoke to them or not. All they told me was that they had one day planned at the beginning of December and one towards the end of the month. I hope they change those two December days because I graduate on the 14th and don't want to miss it.
My best friends are visiting me the 10-14th..ugh...

I think I'll be forced to interview in January if they allow you to choose. Expensive plane ticket in December, or wait until I'm back home (1.5 hours driving) in January?

I was excited to receive my supplemental application this evening!

Reactions: 2 users
I just received my supplemental as well! :)

Every time I see this thread get bumped I think they started sending out invites. Stop giving me mini heart attacks!!! :yeahright:

I got an interview!!!!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414780196.367601.jpg

In case anyone's curious about the email.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I JUST GOT IT TOO!!!! Tears are streaming down my face!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Yayyyyy happy tears!!!!
Also tears of "Oh ****, if we aren't given the option to choose dates, my friends bought flights and hotel rooms for nothing..."

Also, on another note, I wonder if those who didn't qualify for an interview will be rejected soon as well? Last year I didn't hear until March that I didn't get in (although I already knew that by like February thanks to SDN).

Edit: Nevermind.

"December - February: Multiple-Mini Interviews will be held.
December – March: Notifications sent."

Last edited:
Also tears of "Oh ****, if we aren't given the option to choose dates, my friends bought flights and hotel rooms for nothing..."

Also, on another note, I wonder if those who didn't qualify for an interview will be rejected soon as well? Last year I didn't hear until March that I didn't get in (although I already knew that by like February thanks to SDN).

Edit: Nevermind.

"December - February: Multiple-Mini Interviews will be held.
December – March: Notifications sent."

When I spoke to them about interviews they told me that we'd be able to pick the date we wanted from the portal once they opened it for us. Same portal we used for the supp.

I got an invite as well!!

Reactions: 6 users
When I spoke to them about interviews they told me that we'd be able to pick the date we wanted from the portal once they opened it for us. Same portal we used for the supp.
Thank you!!! What a relief

When did you all submit your supplementals? I didn't get an invite, but my supplemental wasn't due until today (I submitted it last Sunday though) so I don't know if I should be scared yet or not...

congrats to those who got interviews! So exciting! Can you please post your stats? just trying to satisfy curiosity and the potential for those who haven't yet heard back!!

I submitted my VMCAS in late June. I was in the first group to get the supplemental.

Note that I calculated my gpa using Michigan's instructions.
Last 45: 3.45
Science: 3.35
GRE: 153Q/159V

@hagel100 they only send out the first invites to those whose supplemental deadlines have passed. You'll be in the next group to receive the invites assuming your SIS is above the cutoff point.

I was told by one of their admissions people that they go by order in which they receive the VMCAS application.

I got an interview as well!!! I submitted VMCAS in mid September.
Last 45: 3.2
Science: 3.1
GRE: 165Q/168V

Congrats guys :) Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

Interview !

Edit for stats inclusion:

BS Animal Behavior from 1st school, Cum GPA 3.15 ( ouch )
Post-Bacc from 2nd school, no degree, GPA 3.3-ish ( less ouch, but still meh.. )
Never actually calculated my science GPA, but that's too annoying since I retook a lot of classes.
GRE - took this in 2011, don't remember my %'s but remember my V/Q scores : V 680 Q 720

5 years experience working as a vet tech in high school-college (in a GP)
Did lots of research in undergrad - song learning in zebra finches, horse nutrition/air-quality studies, some stuff with goats and cows, too, some other stuff with plant pathology briefly, worked in research labs, participated in horse training and research program
After college - ~2 years working as a trainer/rehabilitator at a dog rescue, working with shelter orgs to pull sick dogs out, rehab them
(Started 2nd college for post-bacc)
After that - 2 years experience working as a vet tech (in an emergency practice)

Last edited:
I submitted my VMCAS at the end of August
Last 45: 3.98
Science: 4.0
GRE: 160Q/163V

So...do we know if the dates on the website are the first interview dates? Obviously not the october date, but the two in december?

Ooooh does this mean I finally get to meet the famous you!! We can Doctor Who it up if we get the same interview date!

So...do we know if the dates on the website are the first interview dates? Obviously not the october date, but the two in december?

If I remember correctly, I was told they wanted to have one in early December and one later in the month. If that's still true, then mostly likely one of those dates (if not both) have been changed. Let's try to pick the same date if possible so we can all meet each other and provide moral/antianxiety support. :D

Last 45= 3.70
Science GPA=3.3
GRE 162Q/158V/5

So excited!!!

Ooooh does this mean I finally get to meet the famous you!! We can Doctor Who it up if we get the same interview date!

If I remember correctly, I was told they wanted to have one in early December and one later in the month. If that's still true, then mostly likely one of those dates (if not both) have been changed. Let's try to pick the same date if possible so we can all meet each other and provide moral/antianxiety support. :D

LETS DO THIS!!!

All I know is that I'm hoping and praying and wishing that its not Dec8th-Dec16th....because I'm supposed to be going to the American Kennel Club/Eukanuba National Championships...and if I can't go to this....I'm going to be so, so, so sad.