Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone, my MCAT is marked incomplete for some odd reason. Is anyone else having that issue? I emailed MSUCOM and they told me they would look into it. Releasing our MCAT scores to AACOMAS should be sufficient, right?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, my MCAT is marked incomplete for some odd reason. Is anyone else having that issue? I emailed MSUCOM and they told me they would look into it. Releasing our MCAT scores to AACOMAS should be sufficient, right?
If you did it through the AAMC website, they yes that is sufficient.

Just got an interview email
August 19th
Submitted my secondary on July 11th

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What's with the 30 day deadline on the secondary? I just got all my letters in yesterday and am nervous they won't all be processed in time. I've got 26 days left :eek:

Application just became fully complete after submitting secondary! How long until I hear back about a potential interview?!

Last edited:
Any Canadian applicants heard back from this school? I was complete on June 30 but still nothing... getting nervous

Reactions: 1 users
Any Canadian applicants heard back from this school? I was complete on June 30 but still nothing... getting nervous
Nothing yet; I think they wait until they have a sufficient pool of Canadian's before they decide which they want to extend II's to...I'm not sure though, just makes sense.

Application just became fully complete after submitting secondary! How long until I hear back about a potential interview?!

I submitted my secondaries on July 11th and it was complete on July 14th and heard back about the interview today July 19th.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing yet; I think they wait until they have a sufficient pool of Canadian's before they decide which they want to extend II's to...I'm not sure though, just makes sense.
Makes sense... Hopefully We'll hear back by early August

FYI there is an admissions webinar beginning at 2pm EST if anyone wants to join!

So I'll be having a 3.3 sGPA with a 512 MCAT, and I'm an in-state student. Are there any chances for me at this school?

I heard MSUCOM at least tries to look at the app overall

So I'll be having a 3.3 sGPA with a 512 MCAT, and I'm an in-state student. Are there any chances for me at this school?

I received an II today with 3.4, 510 instate. So I'd say you have a great shot as long as you have strong ECs and service Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry you had a difficult experience, but one simple email to the admissions address would have this problem solved in a day.

I have been in email contact with them for about a week now. For some reason they can't figure out why they don't have my LOR. They said they would let me know but it has gone silent.

Super bummed I didn't receive an interview to MSU yet. Canadian. Stats are 3.2sGPA, 3.3cGPA, 505MCAT. Too low for this school as a Canadian?

Agree with @drlizziemcguire -- your chances are decent if you have a good application! Getting your application in ASAP (if not done already) would be to your benefit.

Super bummed I didn't receive an interview to MSU yet. Canadian. Stats are 3.2sGPA, 3.3cGPA, 505MCAT. Too low for this school as a Canadian?

My stats are 3.45 oGPA, 3.47 sGPA, 4.0 grad (with publications), 29 MCAT. I haven't heard anything yet either, lots of ECs (including osteo shadowing). I'm sure we'll hear soon!

My stats are 3.45 oGPA, 3.47 sGPA, 4.0 grad (with publications), 29 MCAT. I haven't heard anything yet either, lots of ECs (including osteo shadowing). I'm sure we'll hear soon!

Similar stats. Slightly lower mcat but 3.85 sGPA and I haven't heard for an interview yet either. Crossing my fingers!

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

Are any other current applicants interested in pursuing the DO/MPH? I am, but I am wary about the fact that it's all online.

anyone want to chance me? Applied here kind of on a whim and I've got a couple days left to send in my secondary.
OOS, 3.3cGPA and 3.3 sGPA, 506 MCAT, 2000+ clinical hours (scribe for hospitalist/ER and CNA), pretty good volunteering, no research, good letters with DO shadowing and the works.

Are any other current applicants interested in pursuing the DO/MPH? I am, but I am wary about the fact that it's all online.

I am as well! I was thinking the same thing, I hope they go into more detail about it at the interview. Not a huge fan of online coursework...

I think they greatly emphasize on the MCAT more than the GPA and their average is around 505-507 which you have. Hopefully we will hear something soon. This school is my first choice!

Still really early for II's to be handed out. There are ~6000 of you guys applying...take a deep breath everyone

Sent from my A1-840FHD using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
I am interested in a dual degree but debating between the MPH & MBA. Do they both require a 5th year or can they be completed in the 4 years of medical school?

I am interested in a dual degree but debating between the MPH & MBA. Do they both require a 5th year or can they be completed in the 4 years of medical school?
Both require an extra year, I know at least for the MPH you can do it between 2nd and 3rd year.

2 quick questions:

1. Do we have to actually upload letters? My letters are in AACOMAS already and I don't have them so uploading makes no sense.

2. In the community service section, it says to "Note any additional experiences (not previously listed on AACOMAS) below." Does that mean I should only include things that I didn't include in AACOMAS? Or do I have to include everything again?

Thanks.

they download letters directly from AACOMAS, but they ran into a glitch a while back where AACOMAS wasn't transmitting letters properly so some letters weren't accessible. this happened to me and I received an email for designating replacements for the letters which hadn't been "received" or downloaded.

it's only for the experiences which aren't included in your AACOMAS application.

Anyone that's been recently verified know how long it took to receive a secondary? I was recently verified and I'm just wondering about how long till I can get the ball rolling! Thanks y'all!

It took me 21 days from verification to receive a secondary, but that was at the beginning of June so I think things are quicker now.

I'm still waiting to get an email for an interview :/

It took me 21 days from verification to receive a secondary, but that was at the beginning of June so I think things are quicker now.

Thank you!

That's what I was thinking, I believe MSU is auto secondary for everyone right? My guess is they probably only download primaries from AACOMAS(I think that's how it works) a few days out of the week so they just haven't received it yet. But my neuroticism is saying somehow my primary got lost . I have a feeling I'm gonna get smacked with a big ole lesson in patience this cycle.

Btw congrats on all the success this cycle so far! You're killing it!

Thank you!

That's what I was thinking, I believe MSU is auto secondary for everyone right? My guess is they probably only download primaries from AACOMAS(I think that's how it works) a few days out of the week so they just haven't received it yet. But my neuroticism is saying somehow my primary got lost . I have a feeling I'm gonna get smacked with a big ole lesson in patience this cycle.

Btw congrats on all the success this cycle so far! You're killing it!

Stop you're making me blush :oops:

But yes, everyone gets one. Just be patient, it will come!

Anyone that's been recently verified know how long it took to receive a secondary? I was recently verified and I'm just wondering about how long till I can get the ball rolling! Thanks y'all!
I got verified about a week ago and got the secondary the next day.

I got verified about a week ago and got the secondary the next day.

Thank you for responding!

Edit: received yesterday afternoon and submitted late last night :)

Last edited:
Complete on portal 7/22, do they send "complete" emails?

:)