Midwestern Master of Arts in Biomedical Science (Glendale) 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joujou116

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to create a thread for any prospective applicants for the upcoming academic year. Any old applicants/current students have any insight regarding the program specifically in Glendale? Are there any disparities between the one in Glendale and the one in Downers Grove? I know there isn't any linkage, but is an interview guaranteed?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think the programs are pretty much identical, same interview guarantee also.

I just got an interview 2 days ago from Glendale program and it's strange since my application is not even complete yet( im missing transcripts and 1 recommendation letter ) , but im gonna go ahead and schedule my interview anyway , I guess they like to get things rolling fast !

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got accepted , anyone els is going to AZ this fall?

no im not from AZ . my interview was over the phone for 10-15 minutes. The interviewer asked me why I chose their program and why their school. He also asked about my research and shadowing experiences and went over my DAT score. from his questions I could tell he had my personal statement in front of him . he also talked about the program and the dental school linkage. It was very laid back!

Thank you very much for sharing the info! I forgot to say "congratulation." :D

no im not from AZ . my interview was over the phone for 10-15 minutes. The interviewer asked me why I chose their program and why their school. He also asked about my research and shadowing experiences and went over my DAT score. from his questions I could tell he had my personal statement in front of him . he also talked about the program and the dental school linkage. It was very laid back!

Congrats Dental1717! Do you mind sharing what the linkage conditions are for this program? I wasn't able to find any info on their website.

Congratulations! I'm still debating whether to apply here or not (aka, put down another $50 application fee), but it's good to know what the interview is like!

I was also accepted earlier this week. I received an interview approx. 2 weeks after my application was submitted. My interview was very different from Dental 1717's, but regardless, it was very laid back. Be cool and express interest and you shouldn't have much trouble with it. Be honest and open. Dental 1717, need a roommate? lol

I was also accepted earlier this week. I received an interview approx. 2 weeks after my application was submitted. My interview was very different from Dental 1717's, but regardless, it was very laid back. Be cool and express interest and you shouldn't have much trouble with it. Be honest and open. Dental 1717, need a roommate? lol
I actually do ! Ive never been to AZ and planning to go there sometimes in June to find a place !

Congrats Dental1717! Do you mind sharing what the linkage conditions are for this program? I wasn't able to find any info on their website.
Ive read here on SDN about the strong linkage with DO school and my interviewer told me that if you maintain a 3.5 GPA and have a DAT within 1 SD of the previous class you are guaranteed an acceptance for the next fall. I was surprised so I told him that ive heard otherwise that there is no real linkage with dental school and he said no we have made some new arrangements and we are currently have a strong agreement with both DO and Dental school .

Ive read here on SDN about the strong linkage with DO school and my interviewer told me that if you maintain a 3.5 GPA and have a DAT within 1 SD of the previous class you are guaranteed an acceptance for the next fall. I was surprised so I told him that ive heard otherwise that there is no real linkage with dental school and he said no we have made some new arrangements and we are currently have a strong agreement with both DO and Dental school .

Wow, thanks for sharing. That's really exciting news. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Dental1717 is right. I heard the same linkage agreements. Honestly, hearing that solidified my choice of going there.

I actually do ! Ive never been to AZ and planning to go there sometimes in June to find a place !

Yeah, apparently there's on campus living or this place across the street called San Lagos that seems pretty nice.

Dental1717 is right. I heard the same linkage agreements. Honestly, hearing that solidified my choice of going there.
yeah exactly ! I withdrawal from Boston Oral MAMs and Tufts as soon as I got the Midwestern acceptance , you cant really beat the guaranteed admission! unless I get into NOVA :love:

yeah exactly ! I withdrawal from Boston Oral MAMs and Tufts as soon as I got the Midwestern acceptance , you cant really beat the guaranteed admission! unless I get into NOVA :love:

Good luck to you! I applied to Nova Southeastern as well.

Good luck to you! I applied to Nova Southeastern as well.
It's a long shot honestly , Ive heard they prefer the "lower GPA and high Dat "over " high GPA Low DAT" ! Im gonna pay my deposit for Midwestern anyway .

I just got accepted into the MA program! Do we have a Facebook group for MA class of 2016?

you guys realize that in the summer, which lasts around 6 months, temps hover around 100 at NIGHT and 115 during the day. Right? Plus the air so dry you will literally, and im not joking, FEEL the moisture being sucked out of your skin.

Well they have a guaranteed admissions into their DMD program after their masters!

Just received an interview invite from Glendale today and scheduled for Thursday! A little nervous! For those that have interviewed, did it feel like a genuine interview or interview for formalities sake?

Just received an interview invite from Glendale today and scheduled for Thursday! A little nervous! For those that have interviewed, did it feel like a genuine interview or interview for formalities sake?
I would say both. I was nervous about my interview, but it was laid back. My interviewer cracked a few jokes, which helped me relax a little and we actually had a really good conversation. He was really informative and tried to answer all of my questions. Just know why you want to go to Midwestern and what you hope to get out of the program. Be honest and be yourself. You'll do fine!

I currently live at San Lagos. My gf is in the PA program at Midwestern right now so I have a little insight the school and the living arrangments. If anyone has questions about San Lagos or the area or anything in general let me know.

As far as the connecting between the MA program and the DO program this is what a admissions counselor told me.

"Candidates who do well in the MA program (3.0 and above for two quarters) and have an MCAT score within one standard deviation of our internal average will receive an interview for the DO program."

I just emailed her back regarding getting a 3.5 and being within 1 standard deviation if that does in fact grant an automatic admission to the DO program.

If I'm not mistaken, AZCOM was one of the programs that took section highs for MCATs right? I took the MCAT twice and had a composite of 25 both times, but my section highs would have netted me a 27. Would this still qualify me for the interview link?

Sorry for the double post - just had my interview earlier this morning. Lasted about 30 minutes for me, but I feel it might be because I talk too much...my interviewer was super helpful though in answering my questions. I was a little on the fence about the masters at midwestern because of the cost, but he made me feel like midwestern would be a good fit for me. Here's hoping for good news when I hear back from them - he said it usually takes about 2-3 weeks.

Sorry for the double post - just had my interview earlier this morning. Lasted about 30 minutes for me, but I feel it might be because I talk too much...my interviewer was super helpful though in answering my questions. I was a little on the fence about the masters at midwestern because of the cost, but he made me feel like midwestern would be a good fit for me. Here's hoping for good news when I hear back from them - he said it usually takes about 2-3 weeks.
Hi, my interview is on next Tuesday. Do you mind sharing what kinds of questions the interviewer asked you? Thanks

does anyone know whether MA students who apply DO with below a 25 on the MCAT ever get accepted into AZCOM or CCOM? or any other DO school for that matter? Would this MA program be "reputable" in the eyes of other DO schools? aka they see that if you do well in the program theyd be mroe willing to overlook a low MCAT?

Hi, my interview is on next Tuesday. Do you mind sharing what kinds of questions the interviewer asked you? Thanks
It's super laid back. Just be honest with your responses. Prepare of this like any other interview

Yeah like what mmhswimmer said, super chill interview. Just think about why you want to go to the Midwestern at Glendale program. Know the difference between the MA and the MS and basically what your story is. I almost free talked for most of mine.

Hi All,
Academically, which campus is better?

Thanks

Yeah like what mmhswimmer said, super chill interview. Just think about why you want to go to the Midwestern at Glendale program. Know the difference between the MA and the MS and basically what your story is. I almost free talked for most of mine.

Hey @FenderBenderEmergency , what really is the difference between MA and MS? The only difference I found from their main site was that it was 1 year vs 2 years, and that the 2 years (MS) have higher % of applicants being successfully admitted into professional schools upon graduation. Are there anything else that is important to know before applying to one or the other?

Hey @FenderBenderEmergency , what really is the difference between MA and MS? The only difference I found from their main site was that it was 1 year vs 2 years, and that the 2 years (MS) have higher % of applicants being successfully admitted into professional schools upon graduation. Are there anything else that is important to know before applying to one or the other?

From reading the catalogue and searching on the forums, I found the key difference between the MA and the MS is the research component. The MS program is designed for those during their undergrad could not get as involved with research as they would like to and have a genuine interest in being a part of it now. If you have a fair amount of research experience already or you simply just aren't interested in research, in my opinion (and that of the professor I interviewed with), you're much better off doing the MA.

I had my phone interview 4/24, I received the email about 2 weeks after I submitted my application. The interview was pretty laid back, was performed by a histology professors. These are the questions I was asked
Why MA?
How did you find out about the program?
How will you get through the rigorous course load?
What do you think your biggest struggle will be?
If there was a single spot left, why should it be reserved for you?

I wasn't really prepared for that last one, that kind of caught me off guard, but otherwise a chill interview. I just called today and they said they put me on the "Alternate List"... but its better than a rejection? Just hope someone doesn't cancel on the 16th, a day before orientation! haha. Oh I also talked a lot about my tour the past spring.

To my understanding, their articulation agreements basically states that if we get a 3.00 or above for 2 quarters and get a DAT score with in +/- 2 SD from 19AA or if all categories added up = 115+ then you are guaranteed and interview; guaranteed admission with 3.50..

Seems like a good school, they seem to really care about their students from what I learned in the interview. Still unsure as to the osteopathic approach its a relatively new school.

Just wanted to create a thread for any prospective applicants for the upcoming academic year. Any old applicants/current students have any insight regarding the program specifically in Glendale? Are there any disparities between the one in Glendale and the one in Downers Grove? I know there isn't any linkage, but is an interview guaranteed?

Thanks for starting this thread!

Hello
I have a question about the program to those that have families and work, how did you manage the schedule?
In other words did you guys work while in the program?
Second I have my interview in two weeks, what questions do they bring up, in the interview apart from the ones mentioned in earlier post?