Midwestern University Chicago (CCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I see. I just want them to get it over with at this point. This was my top choice at the beginning of the cycle but now I wouldn't go there over my current acceptances.

Same feeling I had, really wanted at least an interview but the silence was killing me so I'm glad to finally have an answer! Congratulations on your acceptance! I'm still waiting for my first one so fingers crossed! :)

Last edited:
Silence broken finally. Rejected pre-interview... Good luck to those still waiting and Congrats to those accepted :) CCOM is a great school!

Sorry to hear that! Hopefully you will grab a spot elsewhere. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! Has anyone started looking for apartments/housing for the upcoming school year? My friend is planning on moving within the western suburbs area and has begun the housing search but would like a roommate to share it with.

Please let me know if you're looking for housing/a roommate for this year :). Any ideas on good locations to start looking? Thank you!

Hello! Has anyone started looking for apartments/housing for the upcoming school year? My friend is planning on moving within the western suburbs area and has begun the housing search but would like a roommate to share it with.

Please let me know if you're looking for housing/a roommate for this year :). Any ideas on good locations to start looking? Thank you!

Yorktown, Versailles, City View, and Brook Hill are all popular.

How does CCOM notify you of your acceptance or rejection? Are both done through the mail?

How does CCOM notify you of your acceptance or rejection? Are both done through the mail?

You receive a letter in the mail either way, but if you're accepted, your portal changes, and you'd see an "accepted student checklist".

Accepted via email! Woot first acceptance! #Imnotafailure

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats!!! Do you mind telling me when you interviewed? i interviewed 2 weeks ago and still haven't heard anything...

Congrats!!! Do you mind telling me when you interviewed? i interviewed 2 weeks ago and still haven't heard anything...

I interviewed Feb. 4. You should check just in case. Maybe they haven't sent out all the emails yet.

You can also check if the portal changed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok well no email yet, do you think they send all the emails at once?

Accepted via email! So excited, this is my top choice.

Chance of getting in the following cycle?

3.55 cgpa
3.27 sgpa
29 mcat
Good EC's

Thank you

Invited for an interview!

So happy. Applied 2/24

3.55 cgpa
3.27 sgpa
29 mcat
Good EC's

Thank you

Your sGPA is a little low because if I remember right the average is over 3.6. Your MCAT is ok but they might be around a 30 now. They are pretty competitive from what I have seen, definitely one of the most competitive DO schools. I knew someone with a 3.8, 34 who didn't get in. If your ECs are awesome, you might get an interview but it is not a guarantee.

3.55 cgpa
3.27 sgpa
29 mcat
Good EC's

Thank you

I agree with the poster above me that your sGPA is a little lower than average but your stats are most definitely not bad. I would try to work to increase that because it might hold you back here, but I'd send an app in for sure!

Your sGPA is a little low because if I remember right the average is over 3.6. Your MCAT is ok but they might be around a 30 now. They are pretty competitive from what I have seen, definitely one of the most competitive DO schools. I knew someone with a 3.8, 34 who didn't get in. If your ECs are awesome, you might get an interview but it is not a guarantee.

Thank you

I agree with the poster above me that your sGPA is a little lower than average but your stats are most definitely not bad. I would try to work to increase that because it might hold you back here, but I'd send an app in for sure!

Thank you

Opinions about on campus housing for MS1s? I heard its expensive, but have students typically had good experiences with it? What about meal plans?

Hi everyone,
I am applying in next year's cycle and was wondering how good my chances would be here. Ill be applying as early as possible, in state 3.55 cGPA, 3,45 sGPA, 32 MCAT. Decent volunteer, research, shadow experience, also work as a personal trainer. Highly involved in my fraternity and our school's fraternity council. Anyone with similar stats?

I was hoping for some information from some current students about clinical experiences through the first two years- how does it work, what do you do, how do they test you, how much exposure do you get? Do you feel prepared for rotations?

Opinions about on campus housing for MS1s? I heard its expensive, but have students typically had good experiences with it? What about meal plans?
I'm a first year and I'm staying on campus in the traditional dorms. I have a single room and I share the bathroom with one other med student. I paid about $8,000 for the year and have no complaints yet. The room is larger than I expected it to be. You can't pay for food at the cafeteria with credit cards, so you can either pay with cash or buy a meal plan to pay. They give you 10% extra on your plan but that's the only benefit of using the meal plans. The negative is that you can't retain money that you put into the meal plan after the quarter, so don't overdue it. I put the minimum amount on it and add if I need to or just use cash

I was hoping for some information from some current students about clinical experiences through the first two years- how does it work, what do you do, how do they test you, how much exposure do you get? Do you feel prepared for rotations?
I can't speak on rotations other than what I've heard from 3rd and 4th year students. The clinical experiment during first year is assessed in practical exams (OSCEs) with standardized patients. We also have ECCPs where we sign up to shadow a doctor and take vitals/histories and physical exams on patients in primary care settings or emergency rooms for a grade

Hi everyone,
I am applying in next year's cycle and was wondering how good my chances would be here. Ill be applying as early as possible, in state 3.55 cGPA, 3,45 sGPA, 32 MCAT. Decent volunteer, research, shadow experience, also work as a personal trainer. Highly involved in my fraternity and our school's fraternity council. Anyone with similar stats?
I think your chances are looking pretty good. Great MCAT, good GPA, and you appear to be very well-rounded. Good luck!

Just withdrew my application/interview. Hope someone gets my interview date!

Has anyone's portal been changed from applicant to student??

My portal was changed after I got accepted. Many people find out about their acceptance via the portal change before they actually hear from the university.

My portal was changed after I got accepted. Many people find out about their acceptance via the portal change before they actually hear from the university.

Good to know! How soon after you interviewed did your portal change?

I know about that part, as my did also back when I got accepted, but on your home screen does it say "student". Also, can you access the blackboard link?

Yup. Mine currently says "student", and I can access the blackboard.

This is probably a dumb question, but the accepted student checklist will only become viewable if you've been accepted, correct?

Accepted!! My first acceptance! Sigh of relief.

This is probably a dumb question, but the accepted student checklist will only become viewable if you've been accepted, correct?
Disregard this question! Accepted! Also first acceptance. Congrats cubbieman!

For those who were wait listed, was it through email or mail?

Congrats to the newly accepted! Always glad to see that burden lifted.