Midwestern University Chicago (CCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
But they reiterated over and over again that they look at the whole application and not just the numbers. If you truly want to be a DO, and you know a lot about it. I think you'll be fine.

I disagree. I think this comment is more the exception than the rule!

Members don't see this ad.

IIs came out Aug 2 last year in the AM. Maybe we will hear something Monday!

I disagree. I think this comment is more the exception than the rule!

Yeah I doubt there's a strict correlation between "highest GPA" and "wants to be a DO the most". I think they just like high stats and have the applicant pool to fill up with higher stats, especially GPA. I mean you can't blame them, what school doesn't want the highest stats possible?

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't shoot the messenger, I'm just relaying the info. Seems like the MCAT cut off so 25.

Hahahaha I know I know. I've heard CCOM say that. I was just saying I think that's special cases more so than happening all the time :)

Anybody know if IIs have gone out?

Before applying, I considered myself a patient person...

You just gotta distract yourself with other activities. I am currently working two jobs and working on being less chubby so my wandering thoughts time is limited.

Well I just checked the portal and I have an interview invite. Just like AZCOM, no email was received, so everyone check your portals today!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I just checked the portal and I have an interview invite. Just like AZCOM, no email was received, so everyone check your portals today!
Congrats! Nothing here... when were you complete?

Congratulations to those with interview invites from CCOM. Can you share your stats and date of completion?

There was no message, I just checked under the interview scheduling link and there it was. I received the complete email on Jun 28, non-trad with good ECs, 3.45 cumulative and 3.7 science (lots of grade replacement), 32R MCAT.

Keep checking, I'm sure they will trickle in throughout the day. I'm pretty excited but now I have enough invites that I need to seriously start thinking about cutting a couple due to travel expense, not that I'm complaining!

Edit: Just got an email, guess I jumped the gun haha!

Last edited:
There was no message, I just checked under the interview scheduling link and there it was. I received the complete email on Jun 28, non-trad with good ECs, 3.45 cumulative and 3.7 science (lots of grade replacement), 32R MCAT.

Keep checking, I'm sure they will trickle in throughout the day. I'm pretty excited but now I have enough invites that I need to seriously start thinking about cutting a couple do to travel expense, not that I'm complaining!

Edit: Just got an email, guess I jumped the gun haha!

Wow Jun28 and a 32R. I just got complete in mid July, so I've got some time

Did you guys actually get a "complete" email? Or are you just referring to being complete on your portal?

Did you guys actually get a "complete" email? Or are you just referring to being complete on your portal?

I got a complete e-mail about 4 days ago, but I do not have an interview invite. But my recommendation letters just got in, so I imagine they will start reviewing my application soon

I got a complete e-mail about 4 days ago, but I do not have an interview invite. But my recommendation letters just got in, so I imagine they will start reviewing my application soon

Just found mine. July 9. 3.42/34 MCAT/URM....hoping they just haven't gotten to July 9 apps yet!

Just got an email inviting me for an interview. But I think I will hold off on scheduling it until some spots open up in November.

My app complete email was July 9 also. No interview invite currently :(

Just got an email inviting me for an interview. But I think I will hold off on scheduling it until some spots open up in November.

Complete email date?

I got an interview invite by email a few hours ago.

Complete: 7/23
GPA: 3.49 undergrad (humanities major), 3.8 post-bacc (biomedical sciences)
MCAT: 30 (7 PS, 12 VR, 11 BS)
Nontraditional, lots of volunteering, research

Good luck everyone! :)

Just checked my email after a busy day and found my invite there! First interview that's within easy driving distance for me. :)

Complete 7/16.

I just got an invite through email. 4.0 sGPA 3.97 cGPA 30O MCAT (10,10,10). I'm very interested in this school so hopefully I have a shot.

It seems they're not doing this in submission date order.

I was complete July 9th.

No interview invite here.

BTW, has ANYONE who was complete on July 9th gotten an interview?

I don't have any interview invites yet :\

I was complete July 9th.

I have two invites, but none here. We gotta hang tough!

I was complete July 9th.

I was done as of July 9th. Nothing here, but I don't have numbers comparable to these other applicants I see posting though. I'm not deterred by that. It seems to be the pattern for initial interviews here.

Where else did you apply? Only a few schools have started interviews or are offering interviews right now. Most of the schools are still getting things together. It's very early in the interview season.

Interview Invites at both CCOM and AZCOM! Super Excited for both of these schools!

Interview Invites at both CCOM and AZCOM! Super Excited for both of these schools!

I had an invite to AZCOM but I'm in-state for CCOM and I feel a little crushed I didn't hear anything.

It's still early in the game! And you have a killer MCAT!

Thanks for the encouragement :) Other than the AZCOM ii, I'm just hearing a whole lot of nothing despite applying to 11 DO and 23 MD schools...just the sound that my bank account would make if it could weep

Thanks for the encouragement :) Other than the AZCOM ii, I'm just hearing a whole lot of nothing despite applying to 11 DO and 23 MD schools...just the sound that my bank account would make if it could weep

Yea I've applied to 16 schools in total and its not the cheapest venture... But when we're doing what we love 7+ years down the road, it will have all been worth it ;)

Last edited:
Interviews scheduled for LECOM, USUHS, and CCOM!

2012 UW-Madison Graduate (Microbiology)

3.79 uGPA
28N MCAT

5 total physician shadowing experiences
150 volunteer hours in a hospital program to prevent hospitalized delirium
over a year working in a VA Hospital as a CNA and HUC
Personal care attendant for an elderly couple
(work 65+ hrs/wk)

Applied to 4 DO and 18 MD, just worried that my MCAT won't be competitive enough for most MD schools....any thoughts?

I don't think I fully understand the process if you're granted acceptance to a school. I've heard that upon acceptance, you have a certain amount of time (2-4 weeks) to pay a deposit to guarantee your spot, and that all osteopathic schools charge $1,000 for the deposit. But from reading last year's CCOM thread, it sounds like everyone accepted before the new year to any osteo school has to put down the deposit by 12/15, and that deadline is the same for all schools. Can anyone explain the whole deposit thing to me or tell me how to find out? I'd be thrilled to get into CCOM, but I'd be slightly more thrilled to go to a school that's in-state for me, so I'm wondering if I schedule an interview as early as Sept, and then get accepted early on in the cycle (fingers suuuuper crossed...I probably just jinxed it), if I'll have to pay a deposit early on and then maybe be out a grand if I'm accepted to a school closer to home.

Also, is the process the same or different for allopathic schools, anyone know?

Sorry if this is off topic, I'm trying to decide if I should schedule my CCOM interview now or wait til later on.

Thanks for any help!

I don't think I fully understand the process if you're granted acceptance to a school. I've heard that upon acceptance, you have a certain amount of time (2-4 weeks) to pay a deposit to guarantee your spot, and that all osteopathic schools charge $1,000 for the deposit. But from reading last year's CCOM thread, it sounds like everyone accepted before the new year to any osteo school has to put down the deposit by 12/15, and that deadline is the same for all schools. Can anyone explain the whole deposit thing to me or tell me how to find out? I'd be thrilled to get into CCOM, but I'd be slightly more thrilled to go to a school that's in-state for me, so I'm wondering if I schedule an interview as early as Sept, and then get accepted early on in the cycle (fingers suuuuper crossed...I probably just jinxed it), if I'll have to pay a deposit early on and then maybe be out a grand if I'm accepted to a school closer to home.

Sorry if this is off topic, I'm trying to decide if I should schedule my CCOM interview now or wait til later on.

Thanks for any help!

From what I understand (someone correct me if im wrong) you can hold multiple spots (DO and MD) until May 15th. You have to pay the deposit at any school you want to hold a spot in. Some deposits are refundable, some are not.

You got the deadline right and the deposit idea right. You might need to check on if the schools refund some of the deposit, I think some do, not sure about CCOM though.
For an example though if someone is accepted to School X in September they have until dec 15 to submit a deposit to hold their spot. If you send in the deposit but choose to go to another school later then yes, you would effectively be out a chunk of change. It really depends on what price you put on piece of mind. For me, if I get accepted to LECOM, I'd need to put a deposit in as early as September. I plan on doing so because it is near the top of my list and having an acceptance in hand will relieve a lot of anxiety for me through the rest of the interview cycle. I know this is long but just putting in my two cents fwiw.

Thanks for any help!

AACOM and AAMC have recommended "traffic guidelines" for how deposits are supposed to handled. AACOM recommends something like if if you are accepted before 11/14, you have until 12/15 to pay your deposit. However, not all schools follow these guidelines. LECOM gives you 30 days from date of decision notification (which can be deferred if you want to wait for your decision) and schools like Touro give you two weeks. Each school makes up their own mind. To find out what each schools procedure is, you can go to either the CIB on the AACOM site or the MSAR on AAMC.

I don't know what AACOM's rule is about multiple acceptances, but AAMC says none after May 15th. MD schools usually have deposits in the $100-$200 range so it's not a big deal to hold multiple acceptances for a little while. DO deposits range from $1000-$2000 so you'd better be real selective about holding multiple acceptances or you will be broke (unless of course you can afford it).

I'm no expert by any means, that's just the way I understand it.

Thanks everyone! That's very helpful.

Yay I got an interview invitation for Monday, September 16th.
Anyone else there that day? It would be cool to maybe meet up the night before the interview. Also, if someone wants to split a room with me to make this whole process a bit more affordable, please send me a personal message so we can arrange something. In case anyone was curious, I am a early 20's male from California and an excellent roomie, if people are particular of who they room with.

Completed 7/9, but had an updated MCAT score come out on July 23rd. No interview invite yet..

2.8 ugrad (biomed engineering)
3.98 grad (medical sciences)
38 MCAT (12/13/13)

Completed 7/9, but had an updated MCAT score come out on July 23rd. No interview invite yet..

2.8 ugrad (biomed engineering)
3.98 grad (medical sciences)
38 MCAT (12/13/13)

Sorry to be blunt, but your MCAT may be a little below what they're looking for... ;)

Way to kill it!