Midwestern University Chicago (CCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just a heads up everybody.

They do not give an email confirmation that your letters have been submitted to the school.

I just checked the portal and my letters have been received with no receipt.

Also: I submitted letter this morning and they were verified some time this afternoon.

Members don't see this ad.

Verified yesterday. Supplemental received this morning.

Reactions: 1 user
Are the prompts the same as last year? I don't get my MCAT back until mid July.. But I want to start working on secondaries!

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted my secondary a few days ago. Now just the waiting game I guess! Anyone know when they start their interviews?

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

Does CCOM screen pre-secondary? Is it their minimum requirements that they screen with? Was curious b/c I know someone who didn't get a secondary.

Does anyone know the purpose of the resume that they ask for? Cause literally everything on mine is also on my primary... Is it just to have like a summary sheet of each applicant?

Does anyone know the purpose of the resume that they ask for? Cause literally everything on mine is also on my primary... Is it just to have like a summary sheet of each applicant?
No, I thought it was really strange too. I just re-wrote everything. I think it might be a weeding out tool. Some people may not feel like making a resume if they don't have one but that's the only reason I can come up with.

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

Secondary received! Should I submit my secondary despite not having an MCAT? My committee letter should be completed soon, I'm just waiting on that MCAT score.

Secondary received! Should I submit my secondary despite not having an MCAT? My committee letter should be completed soon, I'm just waiting on that MCAT score.

I would. You can send mcat through amcas to AACOMAS after..

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it just me but why is AACOMAS taking forever to receive my MCAT score?

Is it just me but why is AACOMAS taking forever to receive my MCAT score?

Not just you. Sent mine in a while ago and they haven't shown up. Spoke to customer service, who said it can take up to 12 business days for them to be added.

Hey guys have a question regarding the secondary.

Did anyone utilize a third party to review your resume? If so have any suggestions.

I have had the same job for 2 years and I have not updated my resume and I was never good at creating one.

Hey guys have a question regarding the secondary.

Did anyone utilize a third party to review your resume? If so have any suggestions.

I have had the same job for 2 years and I have not updated my resume and I was never good at creating one.

I had my school's career services review my CV. You should reach out to yours. They're very helpful!

Submitted the secondary today as well. Looks like the first IIs that showed up on SDN last year were on 8/5 if anyone's interested

What kind of things do you think they're looking for in the hobbies section? Part of me wants to let my personality show a little bit and part of me is worried about being too relaxed.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Can I submit my secondary before my letters show up as "Accepted" on AACOMAS? One is still in the "Requested" stage as of now.

What kind of things do you think they're looking for in the hobbies section? Part of me wants to let my personality show a little bit and part of me is worried about being too relaxed.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
I wouldn't overthink it. If you have a hobby, throw it on there. I put things like skiing and hiking

Interviews are semi-closed file, so they only have your secondary essays and your CV. They do not have your primary during the interview so having an updated/informative CV helps with the interview questions.

Interviews are semi-closed file, so they only have your secondary essays and your CV. They do not have your primary during the interview so having an updated/informative CV helps with the interview questions.
Ah, gotcha, thanks for the info

Does it say that your MCAT score is not received for you guys? I thought AACOMAS was supposed to send it along with the primary application (assuming the application has already been verified).
Hey! I'm having the same problem. I was wondering how many days it took AACOMAS to upload your Mcat scores? And did you call each program to tell them that your Mcat score was added to your profile?

Did you release your MCAT scores to the AACOMAS?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

Hey! I had the same problem in that I didn't ask aamc to release my score. I was wondering when that's released and when my mcat score is updated to my applicant profile, do I need to call each program to tell them that my Mcat score was added to my profile?

Hey! I'm having the same problem. I was wondering how many days it took AACOMAS to upload your Mcat scores? And did you call each program to tell them that your Mcat score was added to your profile?

I called AACOMAS and asked. They said they experienced some technical difficulties in receiving MCAT scores. They told me that resending my score would be quicker than waiting for them to fix the problem.

I called AACOMAS and asked. They said they experienced some technical difficulties in receiving MCAT scores. They told me that resending my score would be quicker than waiting for them to fix the problem.

My problem is that I didn't ask AAMC to release mine to AACOMAS, so I think I'm in a worse position lol

Just wrote what I thought was a really good essay for the first question and it was well over the character limit. Sigh. Anyone care to read it and give me advice on what to leave out? I'm having a hard time!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just wrote what I thought was a really good essay for the first question and it was well over the character limit. Sigh. Anyone care to read it and give me advice on what to leave out? I'm having a hard time!

Pm me A google doc and I'll see how I can help

I would lend a hand too to help.you out.

for the 1500 character limit are spaces and punctuation counted as characters?

Got a letter saying I met their standards & I am free to apply to their secondary even though I'd already got the email & turned it in. Weird - must have sent it out before I submitted it.

Did you guys get an additional letter from admissions this morning? I got all excited and thought it might be a, "Despite not having your MCAT score and you not yet submitting a secondary, we'd like to offer you an interview because you're awesome." e-mail, but it was just talking about how cool CCOM was.

Did you guys get an additional letter from admissions this morning? I got all excited and thought it might be a, "Despite not having your MCAT score and you not yet submitting a secondary, we'd like to offer you an interview because you're awesome." e-mail, but it was just talking about how cool CCOM was.

I got the letter yesterday. It was dated 6/21 so it took awhile to arrive. I thought it was an early rejection letter lol.

I got the letter yesterday. It was dated 6/21 so it took awhile to arrive. I thought it was an early rejection letter lol.

I opened the letter at first thinking, "Oh **** you for denying me already."

Reactions: 3 users
MWU sends lots of promotional mail. It means nothing, so don't get confused if you get a letter encouraging you to apply after you've already submitted. It's basically spam. Interview invites come via email :)

Is anybody throwing their GPA and MCAT scores on their resume? On a normal resume I'd probably put them on but I feel like I'm being extremely redundant.

I listed the GPA I graduated with under education but that's it

Hey y'all. Got a secondary.

Anyone know how one can research a school more? That first secondary question is stumping me. Are there any other places to learn more about a school?

Thanks!

Hey y'all. Got a secondary.

Anyone know how one can research a school more? That first secondary question is stumping me. Are there any other places to learn more about a school?

Thanks!
I just spent a good chunk of time on their website. I sifted through the different pages and then made a list of the things that looked cool or interesting to me, then wrote about them.

On my resume, if I attended a college but left a year later, do I still need to include that?

On my resume, if I attended a college but left a year later, do I still need to include that?
Its your resume. If you did something that could be a good talking point then yes. If you didn't do anything or maybe failed out I would probably leave that out.

Its your resume. If you did something that could be a good talking point then yes. If you didn't do anything or maybe failed out I would probably leave that out.

So if I include it, would I just say "XXX University, no degree obtained"?

So if I include it, would I just say "XXX University, no degree obtained"?
I would suggest utilizing a professional (Fiverr) or your university for those kind of specific details.

I'm not the best person for that type of advice.

I would suggest utilizing a professional (Fiverr) or your university for those kind of specific details.

I'm not the best person for that type of advice.

Thanks getfat for your help! I know this is kind of random but congrats for getting interview invites so early! Even though I sent my apps last week but some schools still don't have mine in their systems... It's so sad

Thanks getfat for your help! I know this is kind of random but congrats for getting interview invites so early! Even though I sent my apps last week but some schools still don't have mine in their systems... It's so sad
Thank you :D
Give some schools some time. Its way too early, most of us are getting secondaries/interviews solely because we submitted one day earlier.