Midwestern University DVM 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The patience.......the wait........everything was complete 1st week of September......gah! :poke:

Ya seriously! I know someone that got an interview already.. so it is worrying me..

Members don't see this ad.

I was there this Wednesday too! I'm hoping they will meet on Monday since it is the last week of the month. Then we will find out by Wednesday or Thursday! But not sure when they are starting the October interviews so it may still be about 2 weeks. I thought the school was amazing. And the interview was very relaxed for those wondering.

Yes I hope thats the case, I was in the first interview group and its been two weeks and 4 days, NOT THAT I'M COUNTING. :confused:

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know if anyone who has previously interviewed is able to answer this...but just wondering what kind of interview Midwestern does? Doesn't sound like it's MMI. Is it just talking about your application - experience, interest...throw in some current events in such? Thanks for any input!

Members don't see this ad :)
Those that have interviewed, remember to keep an eye on your portal. When I interviewed I saw the portal change about one week before I received a phone call/email and letter.

I don't know if anyone who has previously interviewed is able to answer this...but just wondering what kind of interview Midwestern does? Doesn't sound like it's MMI. Is it just talking about your application - experience, interest...throw in some current events in such? Thanks for any input!
Hey Echiko. So you are correct in that it is not an MMI, it is a two faculty to one student interview. The interview is about 20 to 30 minutes long. When I interviewed over two years ago it was very casual and they just had my supplemental application (MWU no longer has a supplemental app) and asked me questions about myself. I am now a student ambassador and have heard from other interviewees that sometimes ask animal ethics questions, but still overall they say it is a relaxed and comfortable interview. Every faculty member who interviews students is extremely nice and caring, they are not in there to trick you or challenge you. They just want to get a sense of who you are as a person, because they already know who you are on paper. Hope that was helpful!

Reactions: 1 users
Those that have interviewed, remember to keep an eye on your portal. When I interviewed I saw the portal change about one week before I received a phone call/email and letter.

Thanks for the tip! I check my portal twice a day :bored:

Hey Echiko. So you are correct in that it is not an MMI, it is a two faculty to one student interview. The interview is about 20 to 30 minutes long. When I interviewed over two years ago it was very casual and they just had my supplemental application (MWU no longer has a supplemental app) and asked me questions about myself. I am now a student ambassador and have heard from other interviewees that sometimes ask animal ethics questions, but still overall they say it is a relaxed and comfortable interview. Every faculty member who interviews students is extremely nice and caring, they are not in there to trick you or challenge you. They just want to get a sense of who you are as a person, because they already know who you are on paper. Hope that was helpful!

Yes! That was very helpful :) Thank you so much and I'm looking forward to my interview in few week! (yay!)

Thanks for the tip! I check my portal twice a day :bored:

I was in the first interview group, too! I literally check my portal 5 times a day... has anyone heard anything?? I believe they said 3-4 weeks from when we interviewed (sept. 7th) so I'm starting to get anxious about it. I fell in love with the school! :) I think most if not all of us did!

I was in the second interview group and haven't heard anything :( so upsetting. Hopefully soon.

I was in the first group (Sep. 7th) as well and haven't heard anything either!! I really hope we hear soon, I'm so anxious!

I was in the first group (Sep. 7th) as well and haven't heard anything either!! I really hope we hear soon, I'm so anxious!

I guess that's sort of a *good* thing no one has heard... must mean they haven't met yet... hope we all hear soon!

I got an e-mail back from them today that the admissions committee hasn't been able to meet recently because of "scheduling conflicts" but they should be meeting within the next couple of weeks. ARHHGGGHH.

Maybe if we all e-mail asking when they're meeting they'll speed it up :laugh:

Ugh!!! I was hoping for some good news this week to help me power through studying for this huge biochem exam!!! Guess I can at least put this on the back of my mind now till after the test. Thanks for reaching out to them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, I submitted my app on Sept. 13th, and I received an email on Sept. 17th from Midwestern saying my application was complete and they received everything. I have not heard anything from them since about an interview or anything. Anyone else in the same boat? I hope I hear something soon! I would love to get an interview, I have heard so many great things about this school!

Hey everyone, I submitted my app on Sept. 13th, and I received an email on Sept. 17th from Midwestern saying my application was complete and they received everything. I have not heard anything from them since about an interview or anything. Anyone else in the same boat? I hope I hear something soon! I would love to get an interview, I have heard so many great things about this school!
Yup! I'm hoping that when they meet again to discuss acceptances they will also review some more files for interviews! I'm sure that they are swamped with apps after the VMCAS deadline though.

Yup! I'm hoping that when they meet again to discuss acceptances they will also review some more files for interviews! I'm sure that they are swamped with apps after the VMCAS deadline though.

Yes, of course! I just know they're usually one of the first schools to interview and keep interviewing. So may not be for another few weeks I am guessing..

My dates are about the same and I have not heard anything else yet.

I just called. The admissions committee is meeting later today.

Does that mean we'll hear later today or later this week...?

Does that mean we'll hear later today or later this week...?
I think in previous years decisions were posted on applicant portals Monday night and emails/phone calls were made later that week.

I'm several hours ahead of AZ time... do they update it at the close of business hours or would it update at like midnight their time?? Trying to decide how late I should make myself stay up checking tonight!!

I'm several hours ahead of AZ time... do they update it at the close of business hours or would it update at like midnight their time?? Trying to decide how late I should make myself stay up checking tonight!!

Im in Florida so I'm 3 hours ahead. I was wondering the same thing!

Im in Florida so I'm 3 hours ahead. I was wondering the same thing!
I'm in FL too! lol! I was just reading the forum from last year and some people didn't hear for up to 2 or 3 days after they met. I'm thinking it's not going to be worth it to lose sleep over waiting, though I probably will anyway :)

I'm in FL too! lol! I was just reading the forum from last year and some people didn't hear for up to 2 or 3 days after they met. I'm thinking it's not going to be worth it to lose sleep over waiting, though I probably will anyway :)
Also they were supposed to meet a week ago a didn't. I called and they said they were meeting later that day and then I saw someone posted on here later that they didn't due to scheduling conflicts.

Well I guess you where right; yesterday was not the day haha. It's driving me nuts!

I GOT ACCEPTED!!!!!! Everyone go check your accepted student checklist thing on your portal!!! SO happy right now!!!:clap:

Reactions: 7 users
Mine hasn't changed, not sure what that means :/

Mine hasn't changed, not sure what that means :/

Mine hadn't changed either. I just called in a panic. My file is unchanged according to them, meaning it hasn't been reviewed. I guess they didn't get to everyone. She is unsure when the next time they meet is... sigh.

Mine hadn't changed either. I just called in a panic. My file is unchanged according to them, meaning it hasn't been reviewed. I guess they didn't get to everyone. She is unsure when the next time they meet is... sigh.

Ok well that makes me feel better haha. Maybe it just hasn't been updated yet (she says hopefully)...

Ok well that makes me feel better haha. Maybe it just hasn't been updated yet (she says hopefully)...

Hopefully good news is coming our way sometime soon...fingers crossed.

Has anyone who had their application confirmed in mid-September hear anything about an interview yet?

Has anyone who had their application confirmed in mid-September hear anything about an interview yet?

Congratulations to all of you who just got in!!!!

I freaked out when I saw and called to ask about the status of my application, and the lady I talked to told me that mine hasn't gone before the committee yet. This is so stressful! I wonder if they're doing it by last name or what. It seems like a few people from all the groups have been accepted.

I freaked out when I saw and called to ask about the status of my application, and the lady I talked to told me that mine hasn't gone before the committee yet. This is so stressful! I wonder if they're doing it by last name or what. It seems like a few people from all the groups have been accepted.

I called too and she said my status still says as "interviewed". So I guess thats good? She also said that the dean hasn't approved any acceptances, which I don't think is right because you guys have heard back. So I guess we just have to wait it out again.

I'm thinking it may be alphabetical too. I'm halfway through the alphabet and if they had 3 group's worth of interviews to go through that's probably around ~45 students or so... maybe they didn't get through to everyone. When I called she didn't have the next day of the admissions committee meeting so it looks like for now we have to wait. She said my status is still "interviewed"- not accepted, rejected, or alternate. So I still have hope!! lol.

I'm thinking it may be alphabetical too. I'm halfway through the alphabet and if they had 3 group's worth of interviews to go through that's probably around ~45 students or so... maybe they didn't get through to everyone. When I called she didn't have the next day of the admissions committee meeting so it looks like for now we have to wait. She said my status is still "interviewed"- not accepted, rejected, or alternate. So I still have hope!! lol.
My last name is in the beginning of the alphabet so that's totally possible!!!

Accepted!!! So excited! My last name starts with S and I interviewed two weeks ago tomorrow. They may just be doing some by random order. Good luck to everyone who hasn't heard!

Reactions: 3 users
I'm a 21 year old junior/senior (graduating in 3 years, May 2017) female.

Cum. GPA: 3.73
Sci. GPA 3.65
Last 45: somewhere around 3.50-3.60
GRE: 149V, 156Q, 5.0W

I think my strong suit was my hours - these are all rough estimates because I don't want to look at exactly how much I had :)

Vet hours:
1500 mixed animal vet assistant
100 dairy vet shadow
50 small animal speciality hospital shadow

Research:
500 dairy mastitis research assistant at a veterinary school
500 equine respiratory disease research assistant at another veterinary school

Animal hours:
1000 dog/cat shelter volunteer
400 dairy farm intern
100 equine rescue volunteer
Thousands upon thousands of hours of equine work, I've been training and showing sport horses my whole life

Extracurricular:
General biology TA
General chemistry TA
President of Pre-Vet club

Letters of Rec:
Microbiology/Bioethics professor
Shelter president
Mixed animal veterinarian I work with
Another vet from same practice (I've had very different experiences with each vet thus I figured using two from the same practice would be beneficial)
Food animal professor that I did research with
Equine professor that I did research with

Congrats to everyone accepted today!! That is so exciting!!

Would anyone who was accepted this round feel comfortable sharing some stats? Aside from interviewing, I am just curious about where I may fall academically/experience wise. Thank you!

I'm a 21 year old senior, graduating in May with bachelors in Biology
My VMCAS GPA is 3.63, Bach Science 3.55, Bach Non-Science 3.71
I think my last 45 is around 3.55

Experience:
Volunteer at animal shelters for the last 7 years=1347 hours (more now since I have been actively volunteering still)
Volunteer at a marine mammal rescue=152 hours
Intern at a marine mammal rescue= 490 hours (more now since I have been actively working)
Animal caretaker at a vet hospital= 200 hours
Shadow a small animal vet/co-owner of vet hospital
Shadow an equine vet/owner of company
Volunteer at various places once, just a few hours
Student researcher, conducting my own research with a professor at my school= 138 hours (more now since I have been actively working)

Extra Curricular:
Member of Pre-Vet club
Member of Tri-Beta Biological Honors Society
Swenson scholarship

Letters of Recommendation:
Chief Veterinarian of marine mammal rescue
Vet that I have known through friends/family for years
Professor that I am doing research with
Professor that I had for a couple classes
Volunteer coordinator for animal shelter

Honestly, I feel like the internship that I have has helped me the most. They have let me actually perform medical procedures under the vet, and have given me countless opportunities in areas like leadership and stuff. Without them I would have never even been able to get close to animals!

Hello! I am new to this forum and apologize if I am asking any of the same questions as anyone else did.

Anyway, I had my application marked as complete on September 15th, and heard that it was up for review. I still haven't heard anything since, is anyone else in the same boat? It is making me nervous that they are already accepting applicants when they haven't even gone through all of the applications.

For those who went through the interview- did you like the school? What kind of questions did they ask you?

Midwestern is one of the US schools that I would like to go to the most. I've heard they offer many opportunities to get hands on experience early on. Here's to hoping I hear something soon.