Mississippi State CVM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I didn't either… but weren't their offices closed for a while? maybe it will take a little bit

Members don't see this ad.

I have not received a reply email either. Likewise, I have not received a replied email from the PhD side of the house from receipt of my response essays given to me. I'm a dual degree applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how many people Mississippi State interviews?

Anybody know why MSU's semester starts in June? Does each class year complete a summer term or is it a first year thing?

Mississippi State starts in late June because of our 2+2 program. Instead of 3 years of classroom and 1 year of practical experience, MSU crunches 3 years of didactic work into 2 years, which allows us to have 2 full years of practical experience. Most folks here graduate with well over 100 surgeries thanks to the 2+2 curriculum.

MSU is an incredibly friendly place and most of your interview will be based on your application. Of course they'll likely ask questions to learn more about your background, future goals and your opinion on broad issues. You may be asked ethic questions, but mostly they'll want to learn about you.

Each person interviewing will be matched with a mentor. Feel free to pepper that person with as many questions as you'd like. After it's all over, you'll look back and wonder why you stressed at all about the MSU interview at all.

Reactions: 1 users
Mississippi State starts in late June because of our 2+2 program. Instead of 3 years of classroom and 1 year of practical experience, MSU crunches 3 years of didactic work into 2 years, which allows us to have 2 full years of practical experience. Most folks here graduate with well over 100 surgeries thanks to the 2+2 curriculum.

MSU is an incredibly friendly place and most of your interview will be based on your application. Of course they'll likely ask questions to learn more about your background, future goals and your opinion on broad issues. You may be asked ethic questions, but mostly they'll want to learn about you.

Each person interviewing will be matched with a mentor. Feel free to pepper that person with as many questions as you'd like. After it's all over, you'll look back and wonder why you stressed at all about the MSU interview at all.

Does every year start in the summer or just the first two years? Also, how does this affect breaks? (Not that I mind; I'm just curious)

Does every year start in the summer or just the first two years? Also, how does this affect breaks? (Not that I mind; I'm just curious)

First year starts just before the 4th of July and second starts about a month later. The Third year is based solely on what rotation you request, so you could have off for 8 weeks over the summer, or another time. You get a break before starting your fourth year over the summer.

Question for current students and those that have previously interviewed at Mississippi State: Is there a tour given the day of interviews? Or are we responsible for touring on our own? Just curious.

I think I am going to be declining my interview after all...I got accepted at LMU yesterday and I got an interview invite for Illinois the same week as Mississippi.

Good Luck to the rest of you!

Question for current students and those that have previously interviewed at Mississippi State: Is there a tour given the day of interviews? Or are we responsible for touring on our own? Just curious.
Your interview invite tells you about the pizza party, you will get a small tour then.

Yes, there is a tour of the school when you interview. Most folks tour the evening before their interview after the pizza party. However, some will also tour the same day as their interview.

Yes, there is a tour of the school when you interview. Most folks tour the evening before their interview after the pizza party. However, some will also tour the same day as their interview.

Thanks! Good luck to everyone interviewing!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I had to withdraw my application. The only flights I could get would make me miss a mandatory class the day after my interview. Good luck to everyone else that will interview at Mississippi!

If you don't go to the pizza party are you missing out on a lot of information?

If you don't go to the pizza party are you missing out on a lot of information?
I took a bus trip with a bunch of people from WVU who were interviewing last year. The pizza party was really just a chance for you to get introduced to some of the faculty and get a small tour of the main building. It was also time for you to mingle with other folks who were interviewing and get a brief explanation of how interviews go. It was very, very laid back because it falls on the day of the Super Bowl and Dr. Meiring loves his football. :D

I took a bus trip with a bunch of people from WVU who were interviewing last year. The pizza party was really just a chance for you to get introduced to some of the faculty and get a small tour of the main building. It was also time for you to mingle with other folks who were interviewing and get a brief explanation of how interviews go. It was very, very laid back because it falls on the day of the Super Bowl and Dr. Meiring loves his football. :D

Okay haha thank you!!

Do people bring their parents to the pizza party or is it mostly students?

Do people bring their parents to the pizza party or is it mostly students?
I was surprised at the amount of parents when I went - there were groups of people without parents, but definitely quite a few who did bring their parents. My mom came with me since I was going to school in NY and didn't have a car to drive from the airport. Plus mothers being mothers enjoy coming to these kinds of things : P There are definitely benefits to going with your parent if you don't know anyone else who's going to be there. It's a good chance just to meet other applicants and talk about their process of getting to the interviews, etc. as well. So benefits to both sides : )

I officially withdrew my application to the college today!

Good luck to all of you guys interviewing in February!

Just got an email offering me to interview for the DVM-PhD program in addition to the normal interview. squeeee!

Reactions: 2 users
So, I called yesterday to ask a question about transcripts, and Missy said they should be emailing us tomorrow regarding whether or not they have received your transcripts. I'm assuming this means more detailed interview times are coming soon?

So, I called yesterday to ask a question about transcripts, and Missy said they should be emailing us tomorrow regarding whether or not they have received your transcripts. I'm assuming this means more detailed interview times are coming soon?
Have you heard about when they will be releasing interview times? I did not receive an email regarding my transcript yesterday. Did you?

Hey y'all! So on winter break I went to Mississippi to vist my Dad and while there popped over to the vet school since it was only an hour away from my dad's place. I just wanted to let everyone know they are AMAZING! Even though I didn't have an appointment I was given a tour of the college and my file was pulled so we could discuss!!!

I was floored to say the least that they would be so accommodating. They really encouraged me and explained the things I need to do to better my chances for next cycle. I also found out that you should be very careful who you trust to write a LOR. One of my people wrote a TWO line letter. They weren't able to disclose who did it, but needless to say I have to find out and not use this person again. This had a huge impact on their decision, and well, screwed me.

Good luck to all of you who have interviews coming up. The lab is amazing! All students get their own cubby. I just cannot stress enough how nice everyone was!

Lastly, there is an amazing BBQ place in Starkville that you shouldn't miss while you're there. It's a food truck right on the main drag. Unfortunately, I've forgotten the name. I know, lame. :)

Reactions: 3 users
Hey y'all! So on winter break I went to Mississippi to vist my Dad and while there popped over to the vet school since it was only an hour away from my dad's place. I just wanted to let everyone know they are AMAZING! Even though I didn't have an appointment I was given a tour of the college and my file was pulled so we could discuss!!!

I was floored to say the least that they would be so accommodating. They really encouraged me and explained the things I need to do to better my chances for next cycle. I also found out that you should be very careful who you trust to write a LOR. One of my people wrote a TWO line letter. They weren't able to disclose who did it, but needless to say I have to find out and not use this person again. This had a huge impact on their decision, and well, screwed me.

Good luck to all of you who have interviews coming up. The lab is amazing! All students get their own cubby. I just cannot stress enough how nice everyone was!

Lastly, there is an amazing BBQ place in Starkville that you shouldn't miss while you're there. It's a food truck right on the main drag. Unfortunately, I've forgotten the name. I know, lame. :)
This is great to hear!!!! And I am so sorry about your LOR... people stink sometimes! Good luck in your reapplication. You can do it!

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks for the information! This just makes me that much more excited to interview next month. Good luck with your application next year!!

Should we start taking bets on whether interview times will go out this week or next? :thinking:

I'm betting Monday the 26th. 50 cents.

Lil Dewey's is the name of the BBQ spot. It's amazing. If you get a chance to stop by there while you're in town, then you should. It may help you make your final decision to attend State :)

Everyone interviewing will be contacted in the next week or so by mentors that the school assigns. We will be contacting each of you to discuss the interview process, answer questions, calm nerves :), and generally provide as much of an overview of the process as possible.

You'll get a tour of our facility the night of the pizza party, and if you cannot make that night then we will arrange one on the day of your interview. Parents, family and guests accompanying you on your interview visit will be invited to participate in both the pizza party and the tour.

The entire interview process is LAID BACK. There are no hard questions and really no wrong answers. Mostly, the interviewers will sit down and simply talk with you about your application and want to find out more information about you.

If you all have more questions, then please feel free to ask here or message me. I interviewed at several schools and have a great feel for what ya'll are about to embark on. Looking back, you'll all wonder why you stressed as much as you did.

Reactions: 3 users
I haven't received my interview time. I did however decline my interview for the DVM/PhD program after speaking with advisors and veterinarians. I'll just do D.V.M and get PhD if i'm still interested at that time.

Still no interview time for veterinary school program.

Not sure if they were sending them out in waves based on interview dates. I'm interviewing on February 9 and got my email with a time yesterday around 3:00.

I have an interview Feb. 11th. I'm really excited and nervous but reading all the comments have helped!

I have an interview Feb. 11th. I'm really excited and nervous but reading all the comments have helped!
Glad we can help :) We're all in this together!

My interview is Monday and I will be headed to Starkville this Friday!

Glad we can help :) We're all in this together!

My interview is Monday and I will be headed to Starkville this Friday!
Thank goodness we're all in it together! Oh how exciting, super-sized good luck to you!! I hope it goes very well! Let us know how it goes!

I received an email from my student mentor, but am yet to receive the time of my interview. anyone else have this problem? MY y interview is 2/11

I received an email from my student mentor, but am yet to receive the time of my interview. anyone else have this problem? MY y interview is 2/11
You should have received your interview time from Missy, but if not you can email your student mentor. I have a list of times, so you can always private message me and I can tell you as well.

The mentor assignments were handed out today, so you all should be getting an email (or maybe a text) from your mentor in the next day or so. I sent mine out just a few minutes ago.

Miss State has a very relaxed interview process where they just try to get to know you better. So, RELAX...and it will go very smoothly.

Good luck everyone.

My interview is Feb 11th too! If you want we could meet/hang out at the pizza party kittycrazy23 :)
Thanks for the good luck wish Montezuma's Revenge!

yea definitely! me and my friend are both coming from school together. i forget what hotel we are staying at though!

My interview is 2/11. Hope to see you all there!!! I should make it in time for pizza party. I received interview time from Missy, but no email or text from sponsor. I'm looking forward to becoming a veterinarian!!!

I haven't heard anything from my mentor yet and my interview is on the 4th.... Is anyone else in this situation?