Missouri c/o 2019 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@swiniazycie congrats and good luck! I've heard they have a really nice interview process that isn't too stressful

Thank you! I grew up in Missouri so I was really hoping not to get rejected by my once home haha. (Although it probably helped that my hours are super heavy large animal-love those hogs).

And I understand what you posted about previously. It's hard seeing people you know aren't honest go farther in their path. But I guess that is life.

Members don't see this ad.

I can see how you think that but that isn't what I meant by any means. I meant morals and work ethic of some of the people I personally knew from a young age and I held this opinion of those since before I even realized that I wanted to go to vet school. Sure I'm disappointed that I didn't get an invite but I'm not that crazy I promise lol and honestly if I was on the committe I probably would have accepted them as well because they look great on paper and had awesome people skills but, now I'm saying from personal experience and they could have changed by now, I had seen them do some very questionable things for personal gain or just as a short cut at work. I'm not sure where they ended up going to school though.

I can completely understand how you misinterpreted my meaning because I don't come off well in text. I hope I cleared some things if not I would be happy to try again when I had more time.

I get where you are coming from. Ethics and Morals are a big deal.. And it all starts before Vet school even begins.But remember we are all human and we all will make mistakes. I assume if this person / people (not sure if we are talking about 1 or multiple) got in, that they must have had good letters of recc. If a veterinarian was asked by a employee / shadower or whoever to write a letter for them and they thought they had a bad work ethic or poor morals- that they wouldn't have got a stellar letter and probably wouldn't have gotten in.

And people do change. I am a perfect example of that - I was an avg student in high school, had a lot of fun, did some stupid stuff- didnt have my priorities straight.... Back then im sure if I told people that I was gonna head off to vet school and be a doctor one day people wouldve thought I was joking. But I got it together, did well in college, got into my top choice school and am now a second year doing very well.

My point is, even if these people showed you a side to them that you didnt like, they probably grew out of it, they probably changed, and one way or another they Earned their spot where ever they ended up. But more so than that, dont let your emotions get the best of You - and dont let it bring out a side of you that says things that may be hurtful to others (even if you didnt mean it that way). I am sure you didn't mean any harm by what you said on the thread, but it came across in a unpleasant way. And you dont want to be one of those type people in your class, bc there are some in every class, at every vet school. I guarantee it.

Reactions: 2 users
Did they send out rejection emails yesterday, too? Just curious if I might be on "standby" if someone declines their interview...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I swear I'm not one of those people and I didn't mean for it to come across so abrasively. It was more one of those things that I had good stats overall and such strong ethics in comparison to them that I figured I would be a good match. Haha that's what I should have said in the first place, sounds more like I meant

I got my interview offer yesterday!! So excited but so nervous!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I do have a question regarding large animal experience. When Mizzou looks for a ton of LA hours, does it imply veterinary LA hours specifically or experience with LA outside of a vet setting? I have a lot of equine experience, but not so many equine veterinary hours due to the nature of farm calls and my schedule for work and class. Thank you!

I do have a question regarding large animal experience. When Mizzou looks for a ton of LA hours, does it imply veterinary LA hours specifically or experience with LA outside of a vet setting? I have a lot of equine experience, but not so many equine veterinary hours due to the nature of farm calls and my schedule for work and class. Thank you!
I had over 700 hours of LA non-vet experience but did not get an interview invite because I only had about 20 LA vet experience

Not really sure, all I had was 100 equine with vet and a fair bit of riding experience. I do have more SA vet experience than most (a little over 3000), so not sure how much that was worth in all of it...

More is better, but it is not a deal breaker. When I applied I had Zero large animal vet hours, and zero equine vet hours.. I had like 50 hours volunteering in a barn and that was it. but like @SummerTheLynx I had almost 5000 SA vet hours.

I think that vet hours are much more valuable than just animal experience. When I was looking for my LA experience, I focused only on opportunities that would allow me to work with a vet. I didn't have a ton of LA vet hours though (58 hours working with dairy cattle), but I think my 3,000+ SA vet hours might have made up for it. I was told by another school's admissions counselor that what they're really looking for is how you articulate what you learned from your experience. So in my VMCAS essay I kind of compared and contrasted my SA work with that on dairy farms, and discussed how I loved both which is the reason I aspire to a career in mixed animal medicine. Hope that helps! :)

Yes thank you all! I know numbers are not definitive rather than looking at the individual as a whole. But it is interesting seeing everyone's varied experiences.

Let me second this!!!! I got a straight up rejection from the school I was "most likely" to get into (my IS), but got in every where else. One school's decision does not correlate with another's. Stay optimistic! And good luck all :)

I will third this. I was flat out rejected to my IS school the first time I applied and the next day received an interview invite from another school. A week later another invite. In the end I didn't have enough experience to make me competitive enough for a seat.

I improved my application a lot for the second time around got in to several schools.

My point is, just because you didn't hear good news to start doesn't mean there isn't good news coming!

Also for the record I had maybe 1000 hours of SA vet experience, around 200 equine, and zero LA (non equine), still got in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope no rejections yet; not for me anyway. My guess would be they'll come out sometime next week.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone! I will be interviewing Jan 10th in the morning. What do you guys suggest would be the best way to travel? Coming from out of state, Columbia Regional Airport is twice as expensive as landing in St Louis or Kansas City so I'm thinking of flying to St Louis from LA. What do you guys think would be the best idea from the airport? Do you think getting a rental car would be the the most economical? I am looking at megabus but I think getting to and from the station/to and from campus would be a hassle. And best place to stay? Seems to me Residence Inn has the best deal. $87 for a suite.

Any body have any ideas what interviews will be like?

I am planning on flying into STL and renting a car to drive to Columbia. (total cost for me is about 180). Way cheaper than flying into Columbia.

And I've heard OOS interviews tend to be less stressful.

Just to kind of add to what others have said, I got an OOS interview invite and I only have about 5 hours LA vet experience on my app. But I did live on a farm for 4 years and was sure to point out that even though the actual time spent with the vet was minimal, I was typically heavily involved in the daily care, administration of prescribed medications, etc. And like what GoldenGirl22 said, I think it's also a lot about how you emphasize what you learned from it. A big part of my personal statement revolved around a case with one of our cattle that deeply impressed me, even though the minimal LA vet hours on my app don't really reflect that. :)

I am planning on flying into STL and renting a car to drive to Columbia. (total cost for me is about 180). Way cheaper than flying into Columbia.

And I've heard OOS interviews tend to be less stressful.
MBN! My plane ticket alone is approximately $300 ):

Anybody flying in Jan 9th and interviewing on the 10th?

Hello everyone! I will be interviewing Jan 10th in the morning. What do you guys suggest would be the best way to travel? Coming from out of state, Columbia Regional Airport is twice as expensive as landing in St Louis or Kansas City so I'm thinking of flying to St Louis from LA. What do you guys think would be the best idea from the airport? Do you think getting a rental car would be the the most economical? I am looking at megabus but I think getting to and from the station/to and from campus would be a hassle. And best place to stay? Seems to me Residence Inn has the best deal. $87 for a suite.

Any body have any ideas what interviews will be like?

Interviews at Mizzou were great! The interviewers were very warm and friendly and made me feel comfortable. I actually had a lot of fun in mine and it made for a very difficult decision when I had to pick a school. Honestly it's an interview that you don't need to stress a lot about.

(also for the record I flew into st louis and rented a car, definitely cheaper than flying in to columbia and then you have a car which is convenient)

MBN! My plane ticket alone is approximately $300 ):

Anybody flying in Jan 9th and interviewing on the 10th?

I would book that 300$ flight asap! Depending on where your coming from, flights to/ from STL/ KC are pretty darn high.. I pay 400+ every time I fly to see my husband so 300$ sounds like a deal to me lol

As far as interviews go- I think it's safe to say that Mizzou is a pretty low stress interview. They really want to get to know You, not ask you obscure questions to get you all frazzled. If you guys look at the interview feedback section on SDN you will see a lot of the questions that they ask- it was a great way to prep back in my app days. Like @equinerider26 , OOS interviews are seriously my fave event. You will see how much the current students really love being at Mizzou. We do a student panel where you guys can ask us anything you want- and you will get honest answers on anything from curriculum, living in Columbia, switching residency status for tuitions purposes- the whole 9 yards. This year the weekend of the 10-11 is going to be super busy because the exotics symposium is going to be happening at the same time interviews/ tours are going - so we will see how well that goes!

Just to kind of add to what others have said, I got an OOS interview invite and I only have about 5 hours LA vet experience on my app. But I did live on a farm for 4 years and was sure to point out that even though the actual time spent with the vet was minimal, I was typically heavily involved in the daily care, administration of prescribed medications, etc. And like what GoldenGirl22 said, I think it's also a lot about how you emphasize what you learned from it. A big part of my personal statement revolved around a case with one of our cattle that deeply impressed me, even though the minimal LA vet hours on my app don't really reflect that. :)

Just to show the vast diversity: I haven't got an interview invite (oos) and I have a couple thousand of LA experience, a couple thousand research, a thousand of SA vet, and about 25 of LA vet. Zero lab/pocket.

As far as interviews go- I think it's safe to say that Mizzou is a pretty low stress interview. They really want to get to know You, not ask you obscure questions to get you all frazzled. If you guys look at the interview feedback section on SDN you will see a lot of the questions that they ask- it was a great way to prep back in my app days.

When I looked over the interview feedback page, I saw a lot of questions that were asking about specific vaccines and diagnostic tests. Since you said the OOS interviews consist more of "getting to know you" type questions, do those more specific clinical questions only apply to IS interviews or something? Or do they ask based on the experience you listed on your app? I saw a lot of past interview questions dealing with equine medicine, and I don't know much about that so I'm a little nervous! Haha

Last edited:
The interview is very low stress- and they do tailor it to your application- I was asked some questions in regards to Lyme disease because I did a project on it. It is 15 minutes but goes by really quick. Nothing to stress or worry about, I promise!

When I looked over the interview feedback page, I saw a lot of questions that were asking about specific vaccines and diagnostic tests. Since you said the OOS interviews consist more of "getting to know you" type questions, do those more specific clinical questions only apply to IS interviews or something? Or do they ask based on the experience you listed on your app? I saw a lot of past interview questions dealing with equine medicine, and I don't know much about that so I'm a little nervous! Haha

I did ask one of my Mizzou friends who interviewed last year and she said hers (IS) was more stressful than what I've heard from my OOS friends.

I did ask one of my Mizzou friends who interviewed last year and she said hers (IS) was more stressful than what I've heard from my OOS friends.
I think it depends on the specific person, to be quite honest. I was IS, and compared to my other 3 interviewers, it was extremely low stress, and this is coming from a very nervous interviewee.

As Rainheart said, they tailor it specifically for you. I was asked about some leadership experience I had and a few questions about my time at the clinic, along with some general "What's the difference between animal welfare and rights?", or "How do you deal with stress?" kind of questions. .

I'm IS and interviewed last year, and I did get asked an equine question even though I have zero equine experience (I filled out interview feedback and I think I said that in there! ;) ). I wouldn't expect they would ask anything really particular unless they saw you had experience with that issue, but knowing the most common vaccines/tests for at least dogs, cats, horses and cattle can't hurt. Really just look over the questions on the interview feedback and know how to answer them, it helped me a ton! It sounds like I got questions pretty similar to Ashgirl, but there was one current events one that kind of threw me for a loop, although I knew the answer.

So be ready for an Ebola question, then? :laugh:
This is just a general thing, but I'm expecting an Ebola question in reference to the dog that was euthanized when his owner had Ebola in Spain. There was an SDN thread on the topic if you want to read up on it.

This is just a general thing, but I'm expecting an Ebola question in reference to the dog that was euthanized when his owner had Ebola in Spain. There was an SDN thread on the topic if you want to read up on it.
That's what I was thinking as well! I have so many opinions on that, will be a wonderful question to be asked :p

So be ready for an Ebola question, then? :laugh:
I'd say so! Although what they asked me last year wasn't related to vet med, at least that I can figure. They showed me a picture of Edward Snowden and asked who he was and what he was known for. o_O My guess was they were trying to see if I pay attention to things outside of vet med.

I cannot speak on the IS interviews, but for my OOS interview, I wasnt asked anything that wasnt already on my application. It was very straight forward and I felt like they really just wanted to know more about me. The only "opinion" question they asked me was about my experience in "corporate vet med" and how it was different / pros / cons compared to your normal vet clinics. Everything else was more like - tell me more about your experience working with blank or what role did you play when you were a part of blank organization.. - lots of open ended questions.

If you guys spend some time developing answers to the questions on the feedback page, you will be in great shape!

anybody gotten a rejection email yet? I didn't get an interview email but no rejection email yet either. I still have hope lol

Same here. There's probably a waitlist situation.
Same fore me. Every time I get an email, I think it's my rejection... When it's not, I get a slight burst of hope. lol

I'm starting to wonder if my high school info factored into their decision... I accidentally put "Class Rank: 2" and "Class Size: 2." -.- When I realized this just last week, all I could do was laugh haha.

Same fore me. Every time I get an email, I think it's my rejection... When it's not, I get a slight burst of hope. lol

I'm starting to wonder if my high school info factored into their decision... I accidentally put "Class Rank: 2" and "Class Size: 2." -.- When I realized this just last week, all I could do was laugh haha.
Aww I'm sure they've seen worse blips!

I could be wrong, but I don't think they factor in high school stuff at all. It's more of a statistical tool (or at least that is what I was told). As for bloopers, everyone has at least a few mistakes, so I wouldn't worry about it too much :)

I actually had that exact thread in mind as I posted that! It would certainly make an interesting interview question if they chose it, because it's a sort of synthesis of both vet ethics and current events. Who knows? :)

I'd say so! Although what they asked me last year wasn't related to vet med, at least that I can figure. They showed me a picture of Edward Snowden and asked who he was and what he was known for. o_O My guess was they were trying to see if I pay attention to things outside of vet med.

Haha that's pretty intimidating! What happens if you know the name and not the face? Can you get clues? xD

I cannot speak on the IS interviews, but for my OOS interview, I wasnt asked anything that wasnt already on my application. It was very straight forward and I felt like they really just wanted to know more about me. The only "opinion" question they asked me was about my experience in "corporate vet med" and how it was different / pros / cons compared to your normal vet clinics. Everything else was more like - tell me more about your experience working with blank or what role did you play when you were a part of blank organization.. - lots of open ended questions.

If you guys spend some time developing answers to the questions on the feedback page, you will be in great shape!

Thanks for your input; this is very reassuring! I know I can talk about my experiences all day long (because people always tell me to shut up about it already :laugh:), so I hope that's what they're interested in hearing.

No rejection for me either and judging by what they said was a competitive applicant for this cycle I should be getting one?
The lack of any sort of word to me is just plain confusing o_O

Congrats to all of you out of staters who have gotten interviews! And for those of you who didn't, please don't lose hope. I was in your position with a few schools last year I thought I'd have no trouble getting into, then was very surprised when I got rejections. That being said, I certainly never expected to get into Mizzou. In fact, I added it last minute and when I got an interview invite I nearly forgot I had applied! All of you are qualified in many ways and looking over what each school takes into consideration with applications sometimes makes you feel worse. You start to compare your stats to others you know and what is listed on admissions sites and although this is a place to start, schools just have so many qualified applicants, the fine tuning process narrows their options down a bit. And other times, I swear some schools throw applications up in the air and just accept those that land face up. My point is, you will lose sleep overanalyzing the reasons you didn't get an interview or accepted. My advice is to go drink a margarita or 2 (or eat a tub of ice cream if you prefer), get some sleep, and look forward to some positive news from another school. And if not, there's always next year!

For those of you who have interviews coming up in January- I suggest looking at the interview feedback section of SDN. I added all my school interview questions last year and other people's responses really helped me prepare. Mizzou was my least stressful interview, and my experience really set the bar high for other schools. There's really no need to stress (although that's easier said in retrospect). I'm from PA and flew into Kansas City with my dad for my interview and stayed in Columbia at a hotel. You'll just need to price tickets into St. Louis vs. Kansas City and see what's cheaper. They're about equal distance from CoMO.

Side note- I know it's a bit early, but if anyone would like to meet up OR needs a place to stay while in Columbia during interviews, private message me! I'd love to accommodate! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Still no rejection email... anyone else? :/

Still no rejection email... anyone else? :/
First of all, let me take this moment to say what a great profile picture you have...
I two have heard nothing and I dread it's coming any moment now.... The only good I've had is a Midwestern letter that put me on a wait list for an interview. Which was very nice of them, but I saw a lot of other people got that also. I'm not feeling to good I'm worried. I applied to 7 schools and crickets so far. Waiting is the worse pain ever!

no rejection for me yet either. It's weird its taking this long isn't it?

I'd be okay with the rejection as long as the anguish of waiting would be over...

This is my 2nd time..... I've been a tech for 9 years... I do love being a tech but I'm ready to call the shots lol. They say patience is a virtue...but I'd rather drink bleach then wait any longer. Unless the wait is worth it haha! If they take me I will set up my Cuban coffee shop and make you all cafe con leches!

First of all, let me take this moment to say what a great profile picture you have...
I two have heard nothing and I dread it's coming any moment now.... The only good I've had is a Midwestern letter that put me on a wait list for an interview. Which was very nice of them, but I saw a lot of other people got that also. I'm not feeling to good I'm worried. I applied to 7 schools and crickets so far. Waiting is the worse pain ever!
Thanks! I took the picture while doing pre-vet volunteering in South Africa :)

I also applied to 7 schools and still no word from any. Davis should be contacting this week or next, though. And a couple in December... But my #1 pick (UGA) will likely be the last school from which I hear +pissed+

Thanks! I took the picture while doing pre-vet volunteering in South Africa :)

I also applied to 7 schools and still no word from any. Davis should be contacting this week or next, though. And a couple in December... But my #1 pick (UGA) will likely be the last school from which I hear +pissed+

UGA is a beautiful school, I went there to visit my BF when she was doing a surgical residency, I remember feeling so intimidated there, seeing the university set up was scary when I compare it to the small animal practices I have worked in. I hope everyone gets in and gets to go where they want. ☺️ When I applied last year it was No x 7 schools.... I felt like it came so quick, Iowa was my first no, I layed on the floor and army dragged my body through the doctors offices and said I just want to die... The following days of No's I sat in my car and they had to physically come and get me. I have a better attitude this year. it is what it is. I'm getting old waiting. It is hard to be positive though after the experience last year. I had to contact Missouri and ask them if they recieved my stuff, they basically said yes we did but with 900 OOS applicants to go through we are trying to get to everyone. I was like 900.... oh my lanta.

Good luck to everyone still waiting! Missouri might be holding off until after Dec 1 (the deadline for invited non-residents to accept or decline the interview), so there might be more invites sent out if people declined. It's still early in the admissions process, so try to stay positive! I'll keep my fingers crossed for everyone on SDN! :xf:

Reactions: 3 users