MPH Fall 2015: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just received an email from U of Maryland, College Park with the wrong name.

!!! As if our nerves weren't already frayed enough, now we have to worry about false acceptances? Fun.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
...And g
I just received an email from U of Maryland, College Park with the wrong name.

Oh my gosh this is getting ridiculous!!! I wonder if these schools are using SOPHAS to send out e-mails and there is a glitch with the system?

Finals are done and I've finally decided, after months of speculation, to participate :) Congrats to everyone so far on their acceptances! I'm nervous about my chances of getting accepted into any program, but *fingers crossed*.. Hopefully I get a yes.

Undergrad School: Clayton State University
Undergrad GPA: 3.15 Overall / 3.29 Major
Major/Minor: Biology
GradGPA (if applicable): N/A
Grad Studies (if applicable): N/A
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): V:149; Q:153; A:4.0 (Taken 9/26/14) Ew ):
Experience/Research (please, be brief):

Conducted research for 6 months at CSU focusing on quorum sensing inhibition in bacterial biofilms of P. aeruginosa and S. aureus. Presented said research at ABRCMS and for the faculty at CSU. Organic Chemistry I/II supplemental instruction leader and tutor. No public health experience.

Applied: UGA (epi), Columbia (epi), Emory (epi), USC (both Southern California and South Carolina, both epi), Georgia State (epi) (SOPHAS verified 11/7/14) Just added GWU (MS Public Health Micro + EID) (12.12.14)
Accepted:
Rejected: UGA (12.3.14) -
I was so bummed my first response was a no, but hopefully that's not a sign of things to come!
Waitlisted:

My top choices are Emory and GWU. I've received my OPUS login and whatnot from Emory (and had a heart attack when I saw the email lol) and I was finally able to submit my application for GWU after the madness that was the last month of school. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
...And g

Oh my gosh this is getting ridiculous!!! I wonder if these schools are using SOPHAS to send out e-mails and there is a glitch with the system?
it was definitely automated. I think SOPHAS is mixing up peoples names.

Hi all,
Just talked to GWU and apparently this was a system wide error through SOPHAS where they merged fields wrong. So if you got an email yesterday with your name wrong, the content is probably correct. They said they would be sending out an email to their applicants and that SOPHAS may be sending something as well.

Update 11:45 AM: got the corrected email from GWU and it looks like SOPHAS is asking schools to not use it's mass email system for the time being.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I haven't received any emails, wrong name or right name :-( lol

Undergrad school: Gonzaga
Undergrad GPA: 3.52
Major/Minor: Italian Studies/pre med and a dynamic transcript because I couldn't choose a damn major. In the end, the major chose me
GradGPA
(if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): MCAT
no public health experience. currently doing clinical research with UTHSCSA medical school on autism, and separately, prostate cancer.

some other stuff that can be found on my CV

Applied: Global Health @ Saint Louis, Global Health @ Emory, Tropical medicine @ Tulane

Accepted: Tulane, Saint Louis. Waiting on Emory

hey sorry to bother you but I was wondering if you could tell me but about your opinion on St. Louis

Has anybody received confirmation from UNT or UT that they have received our applications?

Hey, your experience is very competitive! Can I ask which tracks you applied for at UCLA and UCB?

I'm only applying to Health Policy and Management (HPM) tracks for all schools. Since UCLA makes you specify either health policy or health management, I chose health policy. I'd like to eventually work as a health policy analyst or consultant.

Last edited:
Has anybody received confirmation from UNT or UT that they have received our applications?
I emailed UT about the status of my application, and it said that they received my application from SOPHAS. My application got verified after December 1st, so I have no idea as to whether they'll review it. On their admissions website they didn't say anything about needing verification in order for the application to be processed.

hey sorry to bother you but I was wondering if you could tell me but about your opinion on St. Louis
the city or school ? I'm visiting the school tomorrow so I'll let you know then. I'm hoping the school wins me over because I'm uneasy about STL as a city itself at the moment

Just got an email from Emory saying my application had been sent to the epidemiology department for review and it should be 3-6 weeks for a decision. They said to check OPUS frequently for the decision (as if that needed to be said :p) and that a letter would come in the mail when it's reached.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an email from Emory saying my application had been sent to the epidemiology department for review and it should be 3-6 weeks for a decision. They said to check OPUS frequently for the decision (as if that needed to be said :p) and that a letter would come in the mail when it's reached.

Got the same email as well!!! I hate waiting!

Yeah me too. I got my OPUS account log in info and an email stating that they have forwarded my application to the SBH dept. for review. Should hear by January '15. December is all about waiting! Wish they would all hurry.

I submitted on... I think Saturday? My application isn't complete though, since I'm still waiting for ETS to send my GRE scores and one of my references still hasn't submitted his letter. I thought I would've got an email about how my application is incomplete... Hopefully my last LOR submits soon.
How long did it take ETS to submit your GRE scores? Also how long did it take for SOPHAS a to reflect your GRE scores & verify your application.

So for so many questions. I'm hoping to have good news from programs by the first week of January!

How long did it take ETS to submit your GRE scores? Also how long did it take for SOPHAS a to reflect your GRE scores & verify your application.

So for so many questions. I'm hoping to have good news from programs by the first week of January!

It took about a week for my GRE scores to show up on SOPHAS. It only took about two days for my application to be verified. But I submitted it in October. It's probably a longer wait now.

I'll second oceanhue. It depends on the season; I took the GRE on November 5 and my scores were in in exactly 1 week. I think their website says up to 2 weeks. Everything was thus into SOPHAS by the 12th and verfied on the 19th, so one week. They say up to 4 weeks in peak periods. I think it's reasonable to expect within 2 weeks from what I'm seeing, bhr obviously I have no way of confirming that. Good luck!! I know the wait is excruciating.

Yeah me too. I got my OPUS account log in info and an email stating that they have forwarded my application to the SBH dept. for review. Should hear by January '15. December is all about waiting! Wish they would all hurry.

Luckily I've been distracting myself with holiday prep, but now all the presents are wrapped, it's slow season at work, and I'm back to fervently refreshing!! At least it's not med school where we have to wait an entire year. It will all be over come April...

Got the same email saying mine had been forwarded to the Global Epi dept. This is so nerve wracking! Emory is probably my #1 choice.

was it an admissions decision ?! Im starting to lose patience with them lol
No, it just said that they would send the supplemental application when my SOPHAS was complete. I'm still missing recommendations.

Hi all,
Just talked to GWU and apparently this was a system wide error through SOPHAS where they merged fields wrong. So if you got an email yesterday with your name wrong, the content is probably correct. They said they would be sending out an email to their applicants and that SOPHAS may be sending something as well.

Update 11:45 AM: got the corrected email from GWU and it looks like SOPHAS is asking schools to not use it's mass email system for the time being.

You got accepted into GWU, right? Congrats! How is the interview like? How many interviews are there?
Thanks!!

Hey! I was wondering which track did you choose for UCLA and USC?
I'm doing MPH Epidemiology track for UCLA. I finished it, but I am not submitting USC's app unless I need to- saving that $85. When I do put in the app, though, I will probably do undecided because I still need to feel out their programs.

Hey, I have a question. Most schools say if you need to submit anything after the fact to email it to them. Under what circumstances would you send an updated resume? I have a resume booster that came up recently and my dad thinks I should send an updated resume to those reach schools, but I don't want to look like a jackass.

You got accepted into GWU, right? Congrats! How is the interview like? How many interviews are there?
Thanks!!
Thanks! There's no interview process for GWU. Once they email you that your application is complete, you'll get a decision in 6-8 weeks. I got my decision through a professor in the department I'd been accepted to who just set up a time to answer questions about the program.

I got into the University of Minnesota Public Health Nutrition program! Getting the Coordinated Dietetics part is another step though.

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks! There's no interview process for GWU. Once they email you that your application is complete, you'll get a decision in 6-8 weeks. I got my decision through a professor in the department I'd been accepted to who just set up a time to answer questions about the program.

Oh. Good for you guys :)
I applied for MHA, maybe that's different then.

Hey, I have a question. Most schools say if you need to submit anything after the fact to email it to them. Under what circumstances would you send an updated resume? I have a resume booster that came up recently and my dad thinks I should send an updated resume to those reach schools, but I don't want to look like a jackass.

I'm actually wondering this too. I've picked up an extra EC (nothing huge, but still a boost), and I wasn't sure if I should go ahead and update schools or just leave it be. Did you decide yet?

I'm actually wondering this too. I've picked up an extra EC (nothing huge, but still a boost), and I wasn't sure if I should go ahead and update schools or just leave it be. Did you decide yet?

I probably should know this, but what does EC stand for?

I haven't decided yet because I personally don't think it's relevant. Again, don't want to sound like a jackass so I was trying to be vague, but Mensa invited me to take the exam. I did, and voila, I qualified. My dad is a very wise man and former hiring manager for a top investment firm, so I tend to take his advice when it's career/application related. But right now I think his opinion is clouded (it is his genes after all), and he thinks I need to be e-mailing all of the top programs immediately, but I don't think it's relevant at all since it's not really an accomplishment, it's just genetics, like saying I have brown hair.

If yours is an academic, career, or research related accomplishment, I'd lean more heavily toward updating the resume.

I haven't decided yet because I personally don't think it's relevant. Again, don't want to sound like a jackass so I was trying to be vague, but Mensa invited me to take the exam. I did, and voila, I qualified. My dad is a very wise man and former hiring manager for a top investment firm, so I tend to take his advice when it's career/application related. But right now I think his opinion is clouded (it is his genes after all), and he thinks I need to be e-mailing all of the top programs immediately, but I don't think it's relevant at all since it's not really an accomplishment, it's just genetics, like saying I have brown hair.

If yours is an academic, career, or research related accomplishment, I'd lean more heavily toward updating the resume.

Oh sorry. EC is extra-curricular (so I guess I said extra extra curricular haha). Well congratulations on that! I'd say that's an accomplishment.

Mine is just that I've been tutoring in the maths and sciences for a few months. I've been out of school for a year now, so I was thinking that adding this would help show that I'm still keeping up with academics. Don't know if it would do any good though:shrug:.

Take my advice with a grain of salt, however I would hold off on contacting them. While that's a huge accomplishment, I agree with you that it's not going to "make or break you " because it's not connected to volunteer/work experience. Don't take this the wrong way, however some programs might see it as pompous to send an update like that. Public health programs are more concerned with your public health experience, grades and other academic indicators are not as important as they might be for other programs, i.e. JD, MBA, and MD.

I hope this helps!

I do not think it will make a difference in the admission decision. However, if you're tutoring as a volunteer and working with at-risk populations, then I would bring that experience into the mix if for any reason you're wait listed or rejected; that kind of evidence might set you apart from the competition in the applicant pool.

Hope this helps!

Oh sorry. EC is extra-curricular (so I guess I said extra extra curricular haha). Well congratulations on that! I'd say that's an accomplishment.

Mine is just that I've been tutoring in the maths and sciences for a few months. I've been out of school for a year now, so I was thinking that adding this would help show that I'm still keeping up with academics. Don't know if it would do any good though:shrug:.

I do not think it will make a difference in the admission decision. However, if you're tutoring as a volunteer and working with at-risk populations, then I would bring that experience into the mix if for any reason you're wait listed or rejected; that kind of evidence might set you apart from the competition in the applicant pool.

Hope this helps!

Yeah, that's pretty much what I figured. I don't think it's anything big enough at the time being to warrant an update.

Take my advice with a grain of salt, however I would hold off on contacting them. While that's a huge accomplishment, I agree with you that it's not going to "make or break you " because it's not connected to volunteer/work experience. Don't take this the wrong way, however some programs might see it as pompous to send an update like that. Public health programs are more concerned with your public health experience, grades and other academic indicators are not as important as they might be for other programs, i.e. JD, MBA, and MD.

I hope this helps!

I appreciate the honest advice. I felt that that was the case; just wanted some validation. I'm really really bad about "selling myself."

I just looked at your experience and I think that you have enough research experience, etc. for it to not be necessary to submit the tutoring experience. I think it's really great you're doing that, but unless your application is also for teaching assistant programs (which I think usually comes after admission), I think your current experience is more than enough.

Received notice that my application at UNT is now considered complete and has been forwarded for review (submitted 12/11)! They said I shouldn't hear anything until February though.

Just received my acceptance to the BUSPH!! I was not expecting to hear from them so soon and really didn't actually think I'd be receiving an acceptance from them!

Reactions: 10 users
I just received an acceptance e-mail from BU! I had applied to the MPH in epidemiology program.

Official package will be sent in early Jan. Did anyone else hear from them as well?

I just received and acceptance too!!!!!!! AHHHHHH I'm soooo freaking happy :)!!!!!

Congrats!! What programs did you all apply to?? They're one of my top choices so I'm super anxious to hear from them!

Just received my acceptance to the BUSPH!! I was not expecting to hear from them so soon and really didn't actually think I'd be receiving an acceptance from them!

I just received an acceptance e-mail from BU! I had applied to the MPH in epidemiology program.

Official package will be sent in early Jan. Did anyone else hear from them as well?

I just received and acceptance too!!!!!!! AHHHHHH I'm soooo freaking happy :)!!!!!

Amazing guys!! Congratulations! Now you can actually enjoy Christmas break!

Did the acceptances mention anything about merit scholarships?

No not yet :) the email said that my acceptance is like a sneak peak and I'll get my package in early January!

Congrats!! What programs did you all apply to?? They're one of my top choices so I'm super anxious to hear from them!

I applied to their Epidemiology program. I really like their offerings, so I was pretty excited to hear from them!

No mention of scholarships yet. No info on anything really (nothing about deposits or deadlines). They said we would receive our admissions packages in early January.

I received acceptance from them today too!! soo exciting! Congrats!

Reactions: 4 users
No not yet :) the email said that my acceptance is like a sneak peak and I'll get my package in early January!

Congrats on your acceptance! I got the same email about the sneak peak and that my application was so outstanding they wanted to let me know early I was accepted! Yay!

Undergrad School: University of New Haven
Undergrad GPA: 3.99
Major/Minor: Psychology/Nutrition
GradGPA (if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): August 2014 Verbal:148 Quantitative: 144 Writing: 5
Internship with Horizons for Homeless Children , 5 years working with children with special needs

Applied: University of Pittsburgh, BU, Drexel
Accepted: University of Pittsburgh, BU (today!!) Drexel ($8,000 Merit Scholarship)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Reactions: 8 users
Congrats on BU guys!! I think I must not be getting in:(, I applied back in October for Epi...blast.