MPH Fall 2015: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to everyone with good news today! For those who've applied to Columbia and applied for financial aid - are we really required to fill out the parental section of the FAFSA? My fault for not realizing I had to do that section (only Columbia seems to require it of the four places I applied); I just want to be sure I definitely have to do it...and that's all that's required right now, right? The FAFSA?

I applied to Columbia and I didn't fill out the parental section because I am an "independent" student as per FAFSA. I have a full-time job and still live with my parents but they do not support me financially. In the end, it is the EFC that matters. So don't worry.

Also, where did you find out that Columbia wants parental info??

Members don't see this ad.

Acceptances from UPitt and UCLA this week!! The wait from Columbia really is torturing me though!

Reactions: 2 users
I applied to Columbia and I didn't fill out the parental section because I am an "independent" student as per FAFSA. I have a full-time job and still live with my parents but they do not support me financially. In the end, it is the EFC that matters. So don't worry.

Also, where did you find out that Columbia wants parental info??
The Columbia FA information is here: http://publichealth.columbia.edu/apply/financial-aid/how-apply

The website states that they do require parent information. According to FAFSA, some health profession programs may require parent information even if the applicant would otherwise be considered independent. The Yale website, in contrast, explicitly instructs applicants not to enter parent information.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The Columbia FA information is here: http://publichealth.columbia.edu/apply/financial-aid/how-apply

The website states that they do require parent information. According to FAFSA, some health profession programs may require parent information even if the applicant would otherwise be considered independent. The Yale website, in contrast, explicitly instructs applicants not to enter parent information.
I agree with everyone that this is super weird. Thanks for the link... I already filled out my FAFSA and chose not to report parental info. When I went back in that tab is now grayed out. I don't know what to do about that. Full grown adult here... That's insane if they want this because they think parents are going to be able to help grad students with tuition? I guess some people are so lucky?

I agree with everyone that this is super weird. Thanks for the link... I already filled out my FAFSA and chose not to report parental info. When I went back in that tab is now grayed out. I don't know what to do about that. Full grown adult here... That's insane if they want this because they think parents are going to be able to help grad students with tuition? I guess some people are so lucky?

Actually, you can make a correction. There is a question on the FAFSA which asks you if you want to include parental info-you are able to change it and will prompt you to add the info on the next page. But this is utterly ridiculous. What about applicants who do not receive financial support from their parents? Even if I list parental info, I still won't get much need based aid. I hope making a correction now doesn't affect my financial aid process with Columbia negatively.

Actually, you can make a correction. There is a question on the FAFSA which asks you if you want to include parental info-you are able to change it and will prompt you to add the info on the next page. But this is utterly ridiculous. What about applicants who do not receive financial support from their parents? Even if I list parental info, I still won't get much need based aid. I hope making a correction now doesn't affect my financial aid process with Columbia negatively.
Thanks! I did figure that out after messing with it. I got the 1st page done, but my dad is retired and my mom disabled and he hasn't filed taxes so my dad was in no place to "estimate his income" at that point. I just put 0 for both on the next page and I guess I'm not going to worry about it again. Unless Columbia accepts me, I decide to go there, and they say they need this info completed.

I split the difference and half-filled out that section. Was not interested in having my father tell me the value of his back accounts.

Reactions: 1 users
Rejected from Yale! (it's okay I didn't want to go there anyways LOL). I have yet to hear back from Columbia but I don't think I want to be in NYC (I've basically spent my entire life in NJ/NY) so I think now I just have to decide between Tulane and U Michigan. Leaning towards Tulane bc location & bc the program is more specific to what I want to study but we'll see! Nice reading about all your accomplishments and best of luck to those still waiting to hear back :)

Reactions: 3 users
Rejected from Yale! (it's okay I didn't want to go there anyways LOL). I have yet to hear back from Columbia but I don't think I want to be in NYC (I've basically spent my entire life in NJ/NY) so I think now I just have to decide between Tulane and U Michigan. Leaning towards Tulane bc location & bc the program is more specific to what I want to study but we'll see! Nice reading about all your accomplishments and best of luck to those still waiting to hear back :)
Sorry to hear about the rejection, but it sounds like now you're ready to make a decision! Congrats!

Btw, if anyone has any thoughts about U Michigan (HBHE) vs. Tulane (GCH: Nutrition), hit me up #shamelessplug

It's officially February so I'm hoping we all hear good news from Columbia!

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats to everyone with good news today! For those who've applied to Columbia and applied for financial aid - are we really required to fill out the parental section of the FAFSA? My fault for not realizing I had to do that section (only Columbia seems to require it of the four places I applied); I just want to be sure I definitely have to do it...and that's all that's required right now, right? The FAFSA?

I submitted mine and didn't fill out the parent information. I didn't receive any help from my parents for undergrad, so I don't know why they would expect that I could receive it for grad school. It bothers me that they asked for this information. I am not comfortable asking my parents for this. I don't want to risk messing up my financial aid though, so I'm debating submitting a correction.

Members don't see this ad :)
I split the difference and half-filled out that section. Was not interested in having my father tell me the value of his back accounts.

I submitted mine and didn't fill out the parent information. I didn't receive any help from my parents for undergrad, so I don't know why they would expect that I could receive it for grad school. It bothers me that they asked for this information. I am not comfortable asking my parents for this. I don't want to risk messing up my financial aid though, so I'm debating submitting a correction.

I know, right? How awkward. Luckily I'm pretty close with my dad, but I still think that would be a very uncomfortable conversation. Especially since he's retired; his retirement distributions and small business income is getting pretty far in depth into his financial situation. And it has nothing to do with mine. Ugh.

I know, right? How awkward. Luckily I'm pretty close with my dad, but I still think that would be a very uncomfortable conversation. Especially since he's retired; his retirement distributions and small business income is getting pretty far in depth into his financial situation. And it has nothing to do with mine. Ugh.

Yup, I was on the phone with my dad being like, "OK - what's your social security number. OK...um, what's your gross income? Next page...@#$%?! What's the value of all your accounts?? No way!! That's @#$%!!" (etc.)

I mean, I haven't been a dependent on his taxes for like three years. Also not to nitpick, but...what if I had a wealthy patron/benefactor/grandparents who would pay for me to go to school, huh?? Why just ask about parents, huh??They would never know

Kind of a weird question but are you allowed to ask the decision about your application to universities on the phone since it takes them a while to send email or snail mail with the decision? But thank you to anyone who can help answer it.

Kind of a weird question but are you allowed to ask the decision about your application to universities on the phone since it takes them a while to send email or snail mail with the decision? But thank you to anyone who can help answer it.
You can. However, this early in the cycle I don't know if I would suggest it. If you haven't heard from some schools by April, you could possibly ask about your status.

You can. However, this early in the cycle I don't know if I would suggest it. If you haven't heard from some schools by April, you could possibly ask about your status.

I guess I'll have to wait patiently. BU said that they would email a decision by the end of last week when I called them and there's been no word on it.

At least they are sending decisions out and they said they've been backlogged from the recent storm. Hmmm...

Ugh, what a mess. I honestly don't know what to do about this.What about people whose parents aren't in their life?

Finally updated from lurker status and created an account... I want to give some hope to the low GPA folks here. It can happen!

Undergrad School:
Top public university
Undergrad GPA: 2.8 (3.2 junior year; 3.7 senior year)
Major/Minor: Biopsych/Neuroscience major, Women's Studies minor
GradGPA (if applicable): 3.3 as a nondegree student
Grad Studies (if applicable): Non-degree
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): Verbal 161; Quant 156; Writing 3.5 (super surprised at the low writing score but oh well)
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
2 years full time research experience at top children's hospital
Summer research internship in Psych department at top univeristy
Semester research internship at undergrad university med school
1 year volunteering at undergrad university women's hospital
1 year volunteering on help-line at a women's center/shelter
Some publications from full time experience

Applied: UM applied 12/22; Pitt applied 1/5, BU applied 12/22, Hopkins applied 1/2, Columbia applied 12/1, Yale applied 12/22
Accepted: Pitt (1/27); BU (2/2)
Rejected: UM
Waitlisted:

Ugh, what a mess. I honestly don't know what to do about this.What about people whose parents aren't in their life?

I don't think you should stress out about this. My parents and I have no financial relationship (and haven't for 10 years). If Columbia is going to fight with EVERYONE who doesn't put their parents info down, then I think it speaks a lot about their program. Has anyone actually checked in with them to see if this requirement is correct? Perhaps they put this on the page to sort of influence those who are wavering? Again, I really don't think anyone should stress out about it!

https://studentaid.ed.gov/fafsa/filling-out/dependency

This says if you're entering a masters program you're independent and do not need your parents information

Unfortunately, Columbia asks that you enter it. I'm curious to see if anybody has actually called Columbia to confirm that this is a hard requirement? I'd think that most people applying for an MPH don't fill out parent information on their FAFSA.

In other related news... I submitted my FAFSA to Emory (and everywhere else) on 1/19 and keep getting e-mails that they want my FAFSA. Is everyone else getting these e-mails?

In other related news... I submitted my FAFSA to Emory (and everywhere else) on 1/19 and keep getting e-mails that they want my FAFSA. Is everyone else getting these e-mails?
I've been getting those e-mails as well. I think I read somewhere that Emory doesn't actually acknowledge that they have received the FAFSA until mid-February.

Unfortunately, Columbia asks that you enter it. I'm curious to see if anybody has actually called Columbia to confirm that this is a hard requirement? I'd think that most people applying for an MPH don't fill out parent information on their FAFSA.

I also see that it is a requirement for Columbia.
However, Yale explicitly states Not to Provide parent information.
But to my understanding, I can fill out FAFSA without deciding on a school. So if I want to put both Yale and Columbia on my list, what should I do with the parent section?!?
so confusing!!

Hey yall, I actually asked Columbia and Yale Financial Aid about the inclusion of parental info because I applied to both and Yale specifically said not to include it. I emailed Yale, and they said it wouldn't affect aid if I included parental info, but they also suggested that I send out the FAFSA for schools that require it first and then make a correction that includes Yale and other schools after that school confirms receipt. this is what Columbia said:
"While you do not have to provide parental information on your FAFSA, we advise student’s to do so in order to determine financial need for need based grants. If you were able to support yourself while having a full-time job or are married then you do not need to provide this information. Once we receive your FAFSA, your income will be verified."

The only problem is that I sent my FAFSA to Columbia and waited like two weeks with no confirmation from them, so then I freaked out and sent the corrections out to my other schools because I don't want to miss out on potential first come first serve aid from other schools just for Columbia (since I don't think I will be able to afford to live in NY anyway). So hopefully this answers a lot of questions.

Reactions: 5 users
Hey yall, I actually asked Columbia and Yale Financial Aid about the inclusion of parental info because I applied to both and Yale specifically said not to include it. I emailed Yale, and they said it wouldn't affect aid if I included parental info, but they also suggested that I send out the FAFSA for schools that require it first and then make a correction that includes Yale and other schools after that school confirms receipt. this is what Columbia said:.
"While you do not have to provide parental information on your FAFSA, we advise student’s to do so in order to determine financial need for need based grants. If you were able to support yourself while having a full-time job or are married then you do not need to provide this information. Once we receive your FAFSA, your income will be verified."

The only problem is that I sent my FAFSA to Columbia and waited like two weeks with no confirmation from them, so then I freaked out and sent the corrections out to my other schools because I don't want to miss out on potential first come first serve aid from other schools just for Columbia (since I don't think I will be able to afford to live in NY anyway). So hopefully this answers a lot of questions.

This is great to know. Thank you for sharing this!

Hey yall, I actually asked Columbia and Yale Financial Aid about the inclusion of parental info because I applied to both and Yale specifically said not to include it. I emailed Yale, and they said it wouldn't affect aid if I included parental info, but they also suggested that I send out the FAFSA for schools that require it first and then make a correction that includes Yale and other schools after that school confirms receipt. this is what Columbia said:.

You are the best!!! Solved the puzzle for me!

Yeah, I laughed the first couple of times because the wording is so ridiculous. "You have outstanding items and there are consequences to completing these items late, but if you've already completed these items disregard this email because we won't update the status of these items until mid February."
Now that I've gotten this email like four times, it's less funny.

Me too! I thought I was the only one.

I am, and I've yet to receive an acceptance or rejection letter.

Just got a call back from the admissions coordinator for epidemiology at San Diego State. She reiterated what enrollment services said, saying I could expect to hear back later this month...or April to early May. Not sure I can wait that long...

Called Columbia today and at first they said that some decisions might go out starting next week (eeeek!!) but then they backtracked and said that decisions would come out in the next couple of weeks. Which is sort of what I thought but I couldn't really pin down a timeline from them.
Also Harvard said decisions would be mid Feb to the end of March (which seems super late if you ask me, although based on past years from Gradcafe that seems right) but that it is department dependent, not when you submitted.

I found out Friday that I got into Boston University! It'll probably be too expensive for me to go to... but still its great that I got in!

Reactions: 7 users
Called Columbia today and at first they said that some decisions might go out starting next week (eeeek!!) but then they backtracked and said that decisions would come out in the next couple of weeks. Which is sort of what I thought but I couldn't really pin down a timeline from them.
Also Harvard said decisions would be mid Feb to the end of March (which seems super late if you ask me, although based on past years from Gradcafe that seems right) but that it is department dependent, not when you submitted.

Judging from Grad Cafe, if Columbia starts sending out decisions next week, they're going to be rejections. February already feels like it's been going on for ages, so I don't know how I'm going to stay cool for another 2.5 weeks, but I'm really going to be watching my email and hoping I don't hear something from them soon.

Hey did anyone talk to UT yet about their online portal? I emailed them and haven't heard back yet and its still not saying i was admitted :lame:.

I've been getting those e-mails as well. I think I read somewhere that Emory doesn't actually acknowledge that they have received the FAFSA until mid-February.

Once you submit, they want you to FAX it. I think. If you look at the latest e-mail via OPUS, I clicked somewhere and it said to put your student ID on top of every page and then fax it. I thought, dude, really? Apparently!

Edit: In unrelated news: My last year on the right side of 30 starts Friday. All I want for my birthday is to get into Emory or BU. And to not get rejected on my birthday. SPH Gods, please. PLEASE.

Once you submit, they want you to FAX it. I think. If you look at the latest e-mail via OPUS, I clicked somewhere and it said to put your student ID on top of every page and then fax it. I thought, dude, really? Apparently!

Edit: In unrelated news: My last year on the right side of 30 starts Friday. All I want for my birthday is to get into Emory or BU. And to not get rejected on my birthday. SPH Gods, please. PLEASE.

I noticed that on the last e-mail as well. I guess they must only be taking it by fax now?

Well an early happy birthday to you! I feel your fear though. My birthday is at the end of February. I've already decided that I'm simply going to refuse to check my e-mail/online portals on that day simply due to fear of rejection.

Judging from Grad Cafe, if Columbia starts sending out decisions next week, they're going to be rejections. February already feels like it's been going on for ages, so I don't know how I'm going to stay cool for another 2.5 weeks, but I'm really going to be watching my email and hoping I don't hear something from them soon.

Oh dear. That knowledge gives me a lot of feelings.

Hey did anyone talk to UT yet about their online portal? I emailed them and haven't heard back yet and its still not saying i was admitted :lame:.

An update would be lovely....because when I check my admissions status on myUTH, it says it has been modified 09/08/2011. o_O

An update would be lovely....because when I check my admissions status on myUTH, it says it has been modified 09/08/2011. o_O

I haven't received an admission decision yet, but to check your admissions status you have to use the main menu > self service > student admission > admission status pathway. I made it to the page that you're looking at originally before I realized it was the wrong location.

Obviously you need to check your emails from 2011! Haha, that reminds me of this on Yale's financial aid FAQ: http://publichealth.yale.edu/admissions/finaid/mph/faq.aspx (look at "How do I apply for financial aid with YSPH?") It says you need to send three items including, "Official Transcript of 2011 federal income tax return."

Is anyone lurking on here waiting to hear back from UNC for the MPH-RD coordinated program in Nutrition? I don't expect them to begin sending out decisions until later in February at the earliest. Waiting this out is so difficult!

Good luck to everyone!

Is anyone lurking on here waiting to hear back from UNC for the MPH-RD coordinated program in Nutrition? I don't expect them to begin sending out decisions until later in February at the earliest. Waiting this out is so difficult!

Good luck to everyone!

I am! Have you heard anything since getting your log in information?

Nope, no correspondence since submitting my ApplyYourself part of the application. You? It's nice to be in touch with someone else waiting on the same department, I haven't seen many Nutrition people on here!