MPH Fall 2015: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Really? Before I submitted, I kept getting emails from them informing prospective students to submit before Dec. 1st (even though their FINAL deadline is Jan. 15th--someone from administration told me this). I've been getting those emails since September.

OK, I just checked my emails and I e-submitted on 10/11, but I had a little issue with my transcripts so I had to re-submit and it was verified on 10/14. Apparently this year, applications are no longer mailed so schools have full access to your application once it's verified. I received an email from them on 10/17, but it might be because I'm missing some information.

It could be that since your application is 100% complete, they have no reason to email you?

I submitted my application to Harvard and haven't heard a thing!

When did you submit to Harvard? I got an e-mail from them confirming that they received my completed application roughly 3 days after SOPHAS received my GRE scores for them (I applied to them later than my other schools).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations!

How long did it take for Johns Hopkins to get back to you after your application was submitted?

Hi Kismet1992. Thank you so much. On 8/10, I got an email from JHSPH saying they had received my application from SOPHAS. On 14/11, they sent me my admission letter. So roughly 6 weeks.

Undergrad School: Non-US Medical School
Undergrad GPA: 3.63 (WES)
Major/Minor: Medicine

GRE V 158 Q 157 Other Test (if applicable): TOEFL- 115/120
Experience/Research (please, be brief):

-One Year rotatory Internship in a hospital
-Health Volunteer (part-time) for an NGO for 3 years
-Post graduate resident and teaching assistant in Community Medicine for 3 years
-Assisted in two researches, Presented a Paper on the same
-Just completed my thesis dissertation on malnutrition in school going adolescents

Applied: MPH- SBS (2015) in Yale, Johns Hopkins, Harvard, Emory Rollins, BU
Accepted: Johns Hopkins (14/11)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Hello everyone. Got my first acceptance so finally felt like posting. Still waiting on Harvard before I make my decision, since JHSPH is expensive for me. I love the school though :) So, Yay!

Congratulations!!! That's quite the accomplishment. I would try to see if you could get some outside funding. It's not like Harvard is small potatoes, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone who is applying to UTSPH, I just received confirmation from the school saying that they received my application. Also, the Austin campus coordinator said that they hope to release decisions in January

Just saw on GradCafe that someone has been accepted to the University of Texas at Houston for Fall 2015

Columbia e-mailed me before my application was verified by SOPHAS. I believe I submitted my application on November 3rd and they e-mailed me on the 6th.

The SOPHAS folks told me that schools can see your application as soon as you submit.
I submitted my application on 10.5 and it was SOPHAS verified on 10.13 but I still haven't gotten a confirmation email. I called but they weren't very helpful

Can anybody tell me what happens if UCLA does get my official transcripts by their deadline Dec 1st? I have completed their graduate school application and SOPHAS. I got an email saying that they are review it now but they won't check the official transcripts that I have sent to them until an official decision is made. I am just paranoid that they might now have my transcripts that I have sent.

You have to send official transcripts to sophas and UCLA. It doesn't have to arrive by Dec 1st, just the application itself must be submitted then. They will begin deciding about you once the transcripts are received. Hope that answers your question!

Anyone heard from Emory yet? I got a confirmation email saying they had received my application but haven't gotten anything about OPUS. I called awhile ago and they said they would start downloading apps in Nov but still haven't heard anything else

When did you submit to Harvard? I got an e-mail from them confirming that they received my completed application roughly 3 days after SOPHAS received my GRE scores for them (I applied to them later than my other schools).

I submitted on... I think Saturday? My application isn't complete though, since I'm still waiting for ETS to send my GRE scores and one of my references still hasn't submitted his letter. I thought I would've got an email about how my application is incomplete... Hopefully my last LOR submits soon.

Just submitted my SOPHAS application now for Columbia, NYU, Yale, BU, and George Washington. The wait begins...
Congratulations everyone who has heard back :)

Reactions: 2 users
Most people begin hearing their decisions from Emory towards the end of January. UNC-Chapel Hill actually sent me my decision on Valentine's Day. Hopkins tends to be in March. Hope this helps! Tulane, BU and GW tend to have a very quick turnaround time, with BU offering the most merit.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone heard back from George Washington or Yale yet even just regarding whether their application has been received yet? I submitted to all of my schools on 11/12 and I have heard from all of them confirming their receipt of my application except for those two schools.

Usually once your SOPHAS application is complete it takes about a week to process and then eventually universities will start contacting you. I would call the graduate units at GW and Yale just to see if they have received your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted on... I think Saturday? My application isn't complete though, since I'm still waiting for ETS to send my GRE scores and one of my references still hasn't submitted his letter. I thought I would've got an email about how my application is incomplete... Hopefully my last LOR submits soon.

Oh ok. Yeah, you probably won't hear anything from them until your application is complete. They didn't contact me until after they received my GRE scores.

I submitted my application on 10.5 and it was SOPHAS verified on 10.13 but I still haven't gotten a confirmation email. I called but they weren't very helpful

You should definitely check on that. I got an e-mail from Columbia before my application was even verified. Did you check your spam folder?

Anyone heard from Emory yet? I got a confirmation email saying they had received my application but haven't gotten anything about OPUS. I called awhile ago and they said they would start downloading apps in Nov but still haven't heard anything else

I don't think they have started reviewing yet. They sent out confirmation e-mails, but I think we will get e-mails with our OPUS information once they go into review. I'm thinking that will start in December since they tend to start giving out acceptances in January.

Not necessarily related to admissions but I am curious... Is anyone considering going to medical school after their MPH? When are you finishing your pre reqs if so? I'm pretty sure I'm doing the PhD track, but I want to keep the med school option open and I have o chem, bio chem, and genetics left to take. I'm not in any rush though; I'm doing the MPH so I can start doing research sooner rather than later. Med school would only be if I find career options limited by not having an MD.

Also, does anyone have an idea of which schools tend to be more generous with funding/scholarships at the master's level?

Not to discourage you, though lesser known private programs like Boston, Pittsburgh, and GW tend to offer the most in aid. BU is notably known for it's generous scholarship fund at the both the undergraduate and graduate level. Also, certain programs might have some merit scholarships for minority students, as well as private funds outside of the graduate school system.

I hope this helps! If you're trying to get a scholarship to Johns Hopkins, Emory, UNC, Michigan, and any other of the top 10 programs, I haven't heard about too much success in that department.

May I suggest looking into dual degree MD/MPH programs. I know UMiami Miller offers this option.

Not necessarily related to admissions but I am curious... Is anyone considering going to medical school after their MPH? When are you finishing your pre reqs if so? I'm pretty sure I'm doing the PhD track, but I want to keep the med school option open and I have o chem, bio chem, and genetics left to take. I'm not in any rush though; I'm doing the MPH so I can start doing research sooner rather than later. Med school would only be if I find career options limited by not having an MD.

Also, does anyone have an idea of which schools tend to be more generous with funding/scholarships at the master's level?

Usually once your SOPHAS application is complete it takes about a week to process and then eventually universities will start contacting you. I would call the graduate units at GW and Yale just to see if they have received your application.

SOPHAS is a little different this year. Once it's verified, schools can access your application online. It's no longer mailed out.

Not to discourage you, though lesser known private programs like Boston, Pittsburgh, and GW tend to offer the most in aid. BU is notably known for it's generous scholarship fund at the both the undergraduate and graduate level. Also, certain programs might have some merit scholarships for minority students, as well as private funds outside of the graduate school system.

I hope this helps! If you're trying to get a scholarship to Johns Hopkins, Emory, UNC, Michigan, and any other of the top 10 programs, I haven't heard about too much success in that department.

May I suggest looking into dual degree MD/MPH programs. I know UMiami Miller offers this option.

Thanks for the input! That's actually not discouraging, because I am applying to Pittsburgh. I kind of figured that about the top programs and I've heard JHS offers almost nothing in scholarships. I just finalized my applications and was curious. Maybe I will reconsider BU.

I thought about the dual degree option, but I think I just need to be back in school. It would take me at least 2 years to do pre-requisites while working full time (I also need to take a couple of more classes in addition to the ones I mentioned), and I really want to get started on a career in public mental health research since I'm currently in business analysis.

I got the same confirmation email but also no OPUS info.

I finally got an email from South Carolina telling me they have my app.

SOPHAS is a little different this year. Once it's verified, schools can access your application online. It's no longer mailed out.

I was told that schools had access to the application as soon as you submitted it. Columbia e-mailed me a week before my application was verified to let me know they had my application was complete and had been forwarded to the dept for review.

I considered the med school track for a while, but I'm not really sure if it's what I want to do. I'm interested in public health/ID epi, so the only reason I would pursue an MD after my MPH would be if I wanted to go into clinical research. I'm leaning more towards the PhD/DrPH track instead.

I was told that schools had access to the application as soon as you submitted it. Columbia e-mailed me a week before my application was verified to let me know they had my application was complete and had been forwarded to the dept for review.

Schools do now have access to your application as soon as you submit. Most wait for verification, but Columbia does seem to begin review before that. I'm glad that they made this change. It seems like it would have been such a waste of time to send out paper copies of the verified application when it's already there in the electronic form.

Speaking of confirmation, has anybody heard from Mt. Sinai or Georgia State? I've received confirmation from all of the other schools that I applied to, but neither of those have sent me any correspondence. They are both smaller programs, so they may not send out anything, but it would be nice to know that they have received my application.

Congratulations!!! That's quite the accomplishment. I would try to see if you could get some outside funding. It's not like Harvard is small potatoes, though.

Thanks KPZ! :) Ya, Harvard is not going to be easy either but JHSPH tuition is hard to cover even with outside scholarships or loans as well and I am trying hard to keep the loans to a minimum as of now.

Has anyone heard back from George Washington or Yale yet even just regarding whether their application has been received yet? I submitted to all of my schools on 11/12 and I have heard from all of them confirming their receipt of my application except for those two schools.

I heard from Yale after one month of submission. They sent an email saying that they had received my completed application and are beginning to review it.

I saw on Grad Cafe that someone was accepted to Ohio State!

I know we're all feeling the same way, but I cannot get over how preoccupied I am with this. I am constantly refreshing my email. It's really horrible.

Reactions: 2 users
I saw on Grad Cafe that someone was accepted to Ohio State!

I know we're all feeling the same way, but I cannot get over how preoccupied I am with this. I am constantly refreshing my email. It's really horrible.

It's a new form of addiction. I've never been so anxious about checking my e-mail.

For once in my life, I'm actually dreading Thanksgiving break rather than looking forward to it. It's going to be a very quiet few days not receiving any noteworthy e-mails.

I'm definitely not looking forward to the many family members who are going to bombard me with questions about where I've been accepted so far.

It's a new form of addiction. I've never been so anxious about checking my e-mail.

For once in my life, I'm actually dreading Thanksgiving break rather than looking forward to it. It's going to be a very quiet few days not receiving any noteworthy e-mails.

I'm definitely not looking forward to the many family members who are going to bombard me with questions about where I've been accepted so far.

Same... I just finished my last application today and I can't tell you how anxious I am. Now that I have taken the GRE and finished all of my applications, I have nothing to do to keep me pre-occupied while waiting for decisions!! I mean, I guess I could do some productive housework but...

Speaking of confirmation, has anybody heard from Mt. Sinai or Georgia State? I've received confirmation from all of the other schools that I applied to, but neither of those have sent me any correspondence. They are both smaller programs, so they may not send out anything, but it would be nice to know that they have received my application.

So since posting this, I have heard from Mt. Sinai. I've been accepted! Super excited right now!!

Reactions: 6 users

Knowing that I really only have one more day to hear from schools before everything shuts down for four days makes it that much worse. What's worse still is knowing that, as I'm really only anticipating an answer from Tulane, this level of anxiety is nothing like what I'll be feeling around mid-February when Columbia is sending out decisions.

Knowing that I really only have one more day to hear from schools before everything shuts down for four days makes it that much worse. What's worse still is knowing that, as I'm really only anticipating an answer from Tulane, this level of anxiety is nothing like what I'll be feeling around mid-February when Columbia is sending out decisions.

Yeah, I feel like end of January through mid-March is going to be incredibly stressful since that's when most places should be sending out their notifications.

Congratulations!

Thanks!!

Same... I just finished my last application today and I can't tell you how anxious I am. Now that I have taken the GRE and finished all of my applications, I have nothing to do to keep me pre-occupied while waiting for decisions!! I mean, I guess I could do some productive housework but...

In the days after I submitted, I was so stir-crazy. I constantly felt like I was forgetting something, but it was just the absence (for the first time in a year and a half) of worrying about applying. I was a nutcase for a week, then I rediscovered sleeping.

Oh my god, I just got an acceptance e-mail from Tulane! What a relief.

But now what am I going to do while I wait for February?!

Reactions: 6 users

Congrats!!

can i ask what program you applied to/ how long after you got an email from them saying they were reviewing it till now? Sorry-going crazy like everyone else!

Congrats!!

can i ask what program you applied to/ how long after you got an email from them saying they were reviewing it till now? Sorry-going crazy like everyone else!

I was accepted to my first choice, GHSD with a concentration in International Health Programs. I got the email saying they were reviewing my application on November 11.

Good luck to you, hope you hear something soon!

Congratulations! Enjoy your Thanksgiving break! At least that's one anxiety off your shoulders, now on to the next one!

Housework can be a good distraction, but I've found that you can only clean/sort out so many things before it becomes the most mundane task to get your mind off of everything!!

I babysat for the cutest baby today, it took my mind off of it for a few hours, now I'm back to refreshing my e-mail every two minutes.

I also haven't received any conformation from Columbia either but I gave a call to just check and the man I spoke with was very helpful and he just took my name and email so that he could let me know if they have received everything. You should try them again if you can :)

Let me know if you have any questions about the specific department and concentration, @Boxer Boy . I'm in it right now. There's going to be changes implemented to it in the next few months.

I was accepted to my first choice, GHSD with a concentration in International Health Programs. I got the email saying they were reviewing my application on November 11.

I received an e-mail from them on November 17th letting me know they've received my application (which was verified on November 11th).

I heard from them today, recommending me for admission to their MPH in epi! Admitted student day will take place on March 13th.

Michigan reached out to me again today with my official acceptance e-mail. Has anyone else heard from them yet?

Reactions: 5 users
Michigan reached out to me again today with my official acceptance e-mail. Has anyone else heard from them yet?

I was so excited when I saw I had an email from them this morning, but it was just an email saying that sometime I need to submit another application for proof of residency because I lived out of state this past summer. ARGH hopefully that's just a formality and won't delay the process!

I contacted Columbia via email yesterday and received a notice through SOPHAS today saying that Columbia had my application and that it was under review. Thanks for all your advice!

I'm hoping to hear from Minnesota, GWU, and Michigan in the coming weeks. It sounds like some people are starting to hear from Michigan. Based on last year it looks like GWU starts getting back to people in December and when I called Minnesota they said hopefully people should start hearing before the end of the year.

I contacted Columbia via email yesterday and received a notice through SOPHAS today saying that Columbia had my application and that it was under review. Thanks for all your advice!

I'm hoping to hear from Minnesota, GWU, and Michigan in the coming weeks. It sounds like some people are starting to hear from Michigan. Based on last year it looks like GWU starts getting back to people in December and when I called Minnesota they said hopefully people should start hearing before the end of the year.

I had no idea that SOPHAS gave out notices regarding individual applications to schools! Did you get a message of the same nature on SOPHAS regarding other schools?