MPH Fall 2015: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is anyone else terrified to make this decision? I'm so stressed out because I would love to choose Columbia, but can't decide if it's worth it to potentially have to be 100K in debt for an MPH in health policy + management. :sour:

Same boat I've been looking at my GWU offer and I'm getting stressed just thinking about piling up more debt! Except I'm leaning towards declining both my acceptances at this point.

Waiting on 4 more schools

Members don't see this ad.

Said no to Columbia MPH in HPM today :) Hope someone else gets the spot if you are still waiting for it!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Turned down my offers from UC Irvine and GW this week, including a merit scholarship at GW. I hope someone else gets in or gets some money! :)

Officially on the waiting list at Columbia

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I am officially on the waiting list at Columbia for HPM...

lol I don't know why I am "lol-ing" patience is virtue
At least you finally heard! It also looks like people have been turning down their offers, so you may end up hearing good news soon. I haven't even heard from Columbia yet and I submitted my application in November.

At least you finally heard! It also looks like people have been turning down their offers, so you may end up hearing good news soon. I haven't even heard from Columbia yet and I submitted my application in November.

Lol i wish they waited a few days! I am taking my GRE tomorrow for two other schools that initially told me no-yes-no-yes lol
These schools need to get their stuff together...

I don't want to sound ungrateful lol, so thank the good Lord! Whatever happens happens :)

Lol i wish they waited a few days! I am taking my GRE tomorrow for two other schools that initially told me no-yes-no-yes lol
These schools need to get their stuff together...

I don't want to sound ungrateful lol, so thank the good Lord! Whatever happens happens :)
The whole no-yes-no-yes thing is very annoying. I had a school do that to me and even though I have now declined their offer, they keep e-mailing me saying that they need some records before I can register for classes. :bang:

Reactions: 1 user
The whole no-yes-no-yes thing is very annoying. I had a school do that to me and even though I have now declined their offer, they keep e-mailing me saying that they need some records before I can register for classes. :bang:

Lool oh lord! I wish they would just get their stuff together lol.... Some schools were like we don't care if you have a PhD you have too take it! I respect that, they gave me a solid answer. Well now I am waiting on UIChicago!

Members don't see this ad :)
Lool oh lord! I wish they would just get their stuff together lol.... Some schools were like we don't care if you have a PhD you have too take it! I respect that, they gave me a solid answer. Well now I am waiting on UIChicago!
Hopefully you hear something from UIC soon! I have had very good experiences with them so far. The only issue I seem to have is that I cannot get in contact with the Academic Coordinator for the Epi&Biostats dept. I have sent her multiple e-mails and have received no response. Everybody else has been very prompt and friendly though!

Hopefully you hear something from UIC soon! I have had very good experiences with them so far. The only issue I seem to have is that I cannot get in contact with the Academic Coordinator for the Epi&Biostats dept. I have sent her multiple e-mails and have received no response. Everybody else has been very prompt and friendly though!

Thank you! I just got off the phone with a friend though I am kinda getting worried because it seems as though the MPH-HPA program at UIC is more Health Policy than Management.. and the $$ and my interest is in Management. But if I plan on staying in Chicago UIC is my best option compared to GWU and IUPUI

Thank you! I just got off the phone with a friend though I am kinda getting worried because it seems as though the MPH-HPA program at UIC is more Health Policy than Management.. and the $$ and my interest is in Management. But if I plan on staying in Chicago UIC is my best option compared to GWU and IUPUI
Well you should definitely attend the program that will provide you with the best opportunities for succeeding in your career goals. It's unfortunate that the UIC program doesn't offer the exact program that you're looking for. I wish you the best of luck!

Well you should definitely attend the program that will provide you with the best opportunities for succeeding in your career goals. It's unfortunate that the UIC program doesn't offer the exact program that you're looking for. I wish you the best of luck!

Thank you! Definitely learned something new; I have to ask UIC if anything has changed since my friend has graduated.
Best of luck to you too! I hope you hear back from Columbia :)

I applied to UWash's COPHProgram and have been invited to observe a class although I won't know their decision until the 15th of April. COPHP has a PBL method.
I wanted to know what a typical class observation is like as I have never done it before. Am I going to be a fly on the wall or will I be expected to show some participation and to talk with the faculty later (I have already had an informational interview with the coordinator and a professor).
Any do's or don'ts ? Thanks!

Got into SDSU! :) Though I haven't heard back from all my schools yet (Dartmouth was a no, St George was a yes, still waiting for NYU and CU Denver), it's my #1 choice so sending in my deposit :clap::love:

Reactions: 2 users
Got into CSUF (Cal State Fullerton) in California. Turned down my decision for SDSU due to expenses and they wanted me to reply too early. Now it's betwen CSUF vs. UCLA. Debating on going to UCLA becuz of the amount of loans I have to take out.. (90k debt vs. 50k debt)... for a EHS/EOHS program.

Thoughts anyone?

Is there anyone on the waitlist for the MSPH program at JHU? I applied to the Dept of Health, Behavior & Society. Got notified in early March that I am waitlisted. I wish I could find out soon. It's my top school.

Got into CSUF (Cal State Fullerton) in California. Turned down my decision for SDSU due to expenses and they wanted me to reply too early. Now it's betwen CSUF vs. UCLA. Debating on going to UCLA becuz of the amount of loans I have to take out.. (90k debt vs. 50k debt)... for a EHS/EOHS program.

Thoughts anyone?

Wow, you heard from CSUF already? And $50k for fullerton? I didn't realize it was so pricey? I would have thought there would be a bigger price difference.

Wow, you heard from CSUF already? And $50k for fullerton? I didn't realize it was so pricey? I would have thought there would be a bigger price difference.

I have debt from undergrad (23k) so my total debt is $50k if I were to attend grad school at CSUF (not including accrued interests). You are right though, there is a huge price difference. CSUF is only 12k a year where as UCLA is 33k a year.

Has anyone heard back from NYU? Seriously its been so long and their 4 weeks is up :eyebrow:

Yay! At least you've heard back and it's not a rejection! There are people rejecting their Columbia admission so you might get one of those spots!

True I'm not checking my email as often. It's just more waiting now but at least it's not a rejection lol!

No word yet for you from UIC/Columbia? Where else have you applied too?

Declined offers for Emory, Boston, Tulane, and GW so hopefully someone on the waitlist will get in! Still trying to decide between Berkeley and UNC (only 14 more days! ahh). Both are great programs and everyone keeps telling me "you can't go wrong". I really like the flexibility of UNC's curriculum, but Berkeley is funding my first year. How do people make such hard decisions? :confused::confused:

True I'm not checking my email as often. It's just more waiting now but at least it's not a rejection lol!

No word yet for you from UIC/Columbia? Where else have you applied too?

Just got an email from Columbia, Epi didn't have any more spots available =/. Oh well! I applied to UT (accepted) and Boston (accepted). Just waiting on UIC. UT would be the cheapest route to go but still not sure.

Just got an email from Columbia, Epi didn't have any more spots available =/. Oh well! I applied to UT (accepted) and Boston (accepted). Just waiting on UIC. UT would be the cheapest route to go but still not sure.
Columbia Epi doesn't have any more spots available? Well I guess that determines it for me. I haven't heard back from them yet, but I assume that means I was rejected. I e-mailed them yesterday and am still waiting on a response.

Were you on the waitlist?

Has anyone heard back from NYU? Seriously its been so long and their 4 weeks is up :eyebrow:
I submitted in December and still havent heard...It sucks because I'm about ready just to give up on them

Is anyone applying to a joint MBA/MPH?

I submitted in December and still havent heard...It sucks because I'm about ready just to give up on them

I heard back at the end of the January but if you're still waiting on them maybe you will hear back now that some people are declining offers and more spots are opening up? I just declined mine to NYU so hopefully someone else will get my spot!

Does anyone have a contingent offer from any college? Curious as to how you're going about depositing/whether you should deposit at two colleges- one as a backup if you don't meet the contingency

Columbia Epi doesn't have any more spots available? Well I guess that determines it for me. I haven't heard back from them yet, but I assume that means I was rejected. I e-mailed them yesterday and am still waiting on a response.

Well I applied right after the preferred deadline (December 1st) so if there are any spots available they should go to someone who applied before that deadline.

@spanishkid did they reject you or just say no more seats? Sounds confusing!!!
@IntriguedStudent I would still wait, it seemed like more people were getting onto the wait-list?

GWU just sent me a reminder email to deposit my $300 but I am really leaning towards rejecting them. Doesn't help though that I am still not accepted to a program that has everything I want. I think its best if I reject the programs I have been accepted into at this point, and pray I get off the waiting list @columbia

Is anyone applying to a joint MBA/MPH?

I wish I did! I'm wondering if its too late now :/ just finished taking my GRE this week! Unfortunately MBA programs wouldn't waive MBA programs. You think its too late? lol

@spanishkid did they reject you or just say no more seats? Sounds confusing!!!
@IntriguedStudent I would still wait, it seemed like more people were getting onto the wait-list?

GWU just sent me a reminder email to deposit my $300 but I am really leaning towards rejecting them. Doesn't help though that I am still not accepted to a program that has everything I want. I think its best if I reject the programs I have been accepted into at this point, and pray I get off the waiting list @columbia

I wish I did! I'm wondering if its too late now :/ just finished taking my GRE this week! Unfortunately MBA programs wouldn't waive MBA programs. You think its too late? lol
I've accepted my offer to UIC, so I'm really not too concerned about Columbia. They are expensive and I haven't loved my interactions with them. I just would like to know one way or the other what they decided. I've heard from all of my other schools.

If you haven't found a program that you love and want to attend, then definitely do not spend the money to do it! It doesn't hurt to wait a year and reapply if you need to.

Very true, however this was my second year off so I was hoping to start school again this coming fall!
But I think I'm going to go ahead and decline GWU and IUP

I am so confused about UIC I need to reach out to them now and see how their courses are :/

Got into SDSU! :) Though I haven't heard back from all my schools yet (Dartmouth was a no, St George was a yes, still waiting for NYU and CU Denver), it's my #1 choice so sending in my deposit :clap::love:
congrats! what tract did you apply for at sdsu?
i'm currently an undergrad student here if you have any qs about campus! i also know a lot of the public health professors

Curious as to how you're going about depositing/whether you should deposit at two colleges- one as a backup if you don't meet the contingency

I accepted at two schools- one required a deposit the other didn't. I'm essentially betting my deposit on getting an assistantship; if I get one I'll go to the school I paid the deposit at. If I don't get the assistantship I'm going with the second program which is significantly cheaper/closer and I lose my deposit.

Reactions: 1 users
Columbia HPM department is reviewing their waitlisted students at the end of this month (I guess that would mean this week and next week) and then again at the end of April. Crossing my fingers and hoping some spots have opened up!

Do you know more about the waitlist process at Columbia?
I've decided I'm not going to go with GWU; even if I don't get off of Columbia's waitlist. Health Policy alone, is not what I am looking for.

Michigan sponsors a dietetics internship! While it's not guaranteed you'll be accepted they have accepted 100% of their students who have applied so far. So it's essentially coordinated you just have to go through an application process.

Oh wow! 100% acceptance so far, that is really helpful information, thanks! Are you currently a student at UMich?

I'm torn... I got 100% tuition Dean's scholarship to Michigan and was recently accepted to Hopkins. Would it be ridiculously stupid to give up a free MPH by attending Hopkins instead of Michigan?

OMG I'm in the same boat! It is so difficult to decide!