MPH Fall 2015: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Stuck between BU (Global Health) and Tulane (International Health Programs). Anyone have any advice for me?

I'm also stuck between BU and UT for Epi. And we only have like less than two weeks to decide!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
congrats! what tract did you apply for at sdsu?
i'm currently an undergrad student here if you have any qs about campus! i also know a lot of the public health professors

AWESOME! Yeah Definitely would like to get in touch. I'm in the epidemiology tract. I've been reading up on the bios of the different professors. Are they pretty open and approachable?

Has anyone heard back from NYU? Seriously its been so long and their 4 weeks is up :eyebrow:

No, strange cause they emailed me decisions would be mailed out in March. To be fair I've made my decision already but still frustrating they haven't sent anything out :eyebrow:

Members don't see this ad :)
No, strange cause they emailed me decisions would be mailed out in March. To be fair I've made my decision already but still frustrating they haven't sent anything out :eyebrow:

SAME! I've basically narrowed down where I want to go but NYU hasnt said ANYTHING!

@spanishkid call/email them for a definite answer. Especially if they're telling @IntriguedStudent they're still reviewing. And yes I agree I'm very disappointed as well. I waited over 2 months weeks to hear that something wasn't verified as well when i was notified via email that it was verified a few days after I submitted my application. But I'm waitlisted now so I have a new hurdle to overcome now.

But get a definite answer @spanishkid. They owe you that much at least.

So there are still spots in Epi for those of you still waiting! Hope you guys get them!! the lady apologized for the confusing e-mail about my admissions decision.

Reactions: 1 user

I just got my acceptance letter!

Declined offers for Emory, Boston, Tulane, and GW so hopefully someone on the waitlist will get in! Still trying to decide between Berkeley and UNC (only 14 more days! ahh). Both are great programs and everyone keeps telling me "you can't go wrong". I really like the flexibility of UNC's curriculum, but Berkeley is funding my first year. How do people make such hard decisions? :confused::confused:
I am in the same situation as you. I've got full funding for the first year Mph at Berkeley but I also got admitted into UNC Msph to Phd (without any funding)... However, life at Berkeley is soo expensive, and I am a little worried about funding my second year there. On the other hand, my country would finance half of the UNC program as it is considered a doctoral program. :dead:

How do I decide between Tulane and GW? Both for Epi. I have to make a decision for GW by the 15th and I have no idea how to decide (not factoring in the differences in the locations of the two).

Got into NYU!! Finally now I wait for all the Canadian Schools :claps:

How do I decide between Tulane and GW? Both for Epi. I have to make a decision for GW by the 15th and I have no idea how to decide (not factoring in the differences in the locations of the two).

I am researching faculty and research opportunities now. I am choosing between GW, and UIC/USF (actually waiting on admission to them). For me, I am looking at PhD programs to see where I can go after the MPH. Also, I am looking into publications (which is hard to find) and how the chances for practicums. It's hard!

Rejected from BU. Not surprised. It was sort of a reach with my stats. Womp.

I'm doing the MSPH in International Health-SBI. How about you?
If they haven't started a FB group we probably could

Yeah but it would be nice to have support from the department in the very likely case that people have questions about their programs/ Baltimore. Maybe we can make one then let them know..? What do you think?

Do you want to make one for the MSPH progam? MSPH International Health? MSPH/MPH orr.?

I am in at MSPH GDEC . Also International Health Dept :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone actually attending Drexel? I think I'm going! haven't paid the deposit yet though.

Just declined Tufts, UMass, Drexel, and Mt. Sinai...Sending good thoughts to anyone on waitlist!

UT Houston, SDSU, UIC and USF. I'm thinking of applying to Mercer before their deadline as well.

Those are really good schools. Have you heard back from any of them? I'm waiting to hear back from UIC as well.

Silly question, but does anyone know if the enrollment deposit is just another fee or will go towards your tuition?

Silly question, but does anyone know if the enrollment deposit is just another fee or will go towards your tuition?

From my understanding its suppose too... but I am hearing otherwise about Columbia.

Columbia's is a fee (doesn't go towards tuition) -- I asked the fin aid office last week. :(

Those are really good schools. Have you heard back from any of them? I'm waiting to hear back from UIC as well.

Not yet, but I applied pretty late in the application cycle. I called UIC yesterday and they said they're trying to get the rest of the decisions out by the end of this or next week.

Not yet, but I applied pretty late in the application cycle. I called UIC yesterday and they said they're trying to get the rest of the decisions out by the end of this or next week.

I applied for the same program as you did; do you mind telling me when you applied? I applied super late as well and I'm patiently waiting

Hi everyone! Long time no see.:hello:

I think I'm ready to pay the GW deposit. I'll email a student tomorrow about some minor questions but I'm mostly set in my mind on going there.

I would consider Columbia if I finally got off the waitlist within the next week. The disorganization is making me weary, though, and I don't want to deal with a school that just considers me as a paycheck, ivy league or not. I'm just so lost!

Last edited:
Hello

I have been accepted to BU MPH Epidemiology program as well as GWU MPH Epidemiology program and i am honestly having a tough time deciding between the two.

I wanted to know in terms of: Job acceptance after the program? How many semesters each program is? How is the academic staff in terms of helpfulness and responding to questions? If there are international opportunities? Internships?

I am just really confused and want all the information i can get

Hello

I have been accepted to BU MPH Epidemiology program as well as GWU MPH Epidemiology program and i am honestly having a tough time deciding between the two.

I wanted to know in terms of: Job acceptance after the program? How many semesters each program is? How is the academic staff in terms of helpfulness and responding to questions? If there are international opportunities? Internships?

You should request a copy of their CEPH self studies or maybe you can find it online. Someone on here suggested it a while ago. It really helped me. Or just email professors.

You should request a copy of their CEPH self studies or maybe you can find it online. Someone on here suggested it a while ago. It really helped me. Or just email professors.

What did you look for exactly in the CEPH self studies to help make a decision? They're just so long!

Hello

With GW, they have the program guides online, so you can look there. Also, the Accepted Students FB page can probably link you to some of their students.

Hey! Yes it sounds like we have been experiencing the same frustrations! I haven't been on this forum in weeks because I needed to get the situation off my mind, it was driving me crazy. I just signed on today to post that I was actually accepted yesterday off the waitlist!!
I hope you hear back soon and that it is good news!! Good luck and definitely keep me posted!!:xf::)
Congratulations! Very exciting! I actually accepted a spot in the MPH/RD program at the University of Washington so I'll be there in the fall. Yay for RD's to be! :)

What did you look for exactly in the CEPH self studies to help make a decision? They're just so long!
I just looked at student survey responses about faculty, how long it actually took people to complete the program, student outcome data (whether they were employed or continuing education), and I read about the research centers and projects.

The student outcome information is very telling. For instance, UNT says 92% of its graduates are employed but only 7% are continuing their education so its probably not a place people go to prepare for a doctorate or research but the education is adequate to get a job.

I want to go into research so the research section was very important to me. It should list what they are doing but also how they plan to improve.

I applied for the same program as you did; do you mind telling me when you applied? I applied super late as well and I'm patiently waiting

I submitted my SOPHAS on 1/31 and it was verified by them on 3/10.

Just submitted my statement of intent to register for Berkeley!! It was really hard to choose between UNC and Berkeley, but UNC is my alma mater and although I do love it and the area, I specifically applied to Berkeley for a new experience, and now I have that chance. Both MCH programs seem comparable with great funding opportunities, research, professors, and faculty. Plus, full funding and a stipend were more appealing than loans, even if UNC is cheaper for me and Chapel hill has a lower cost of living. I can't believe I've finally made a decision. Good luck to others who are still deciding!!

Last edited:
AWESOME! Yeah Definitely would like to get in touch. I'm in the epidemiology tract. I've been reading up on the bios of the different professors. Are they pretty open and approachable?

I'm still having trouble deciding between SDSU vs. Tulane for Epi! :help:
Tuition is significantly less at SDSU (plus I'm in-state) vs. Tulane $80+

I'm also interested to know about potential for obtaining research positions during MPH and if I would be at a disadvantage for not speaking Spanish since the majority of the target population is Spanish speaking.

The wait is over. I have committed to BU for Global Health!

Reactions: 3 users

So, how exactly does one get these self studies? Do I need to contact each school?

I found it for all of the schools that I need, except GW. I have to contact the Dean's office there.

Are most mph students girls? I'm a guy and feel like im in the minority here..not like im complaining but just wondering

Reactions: 2 users
Haha, preach on! I'm currently in an MPH program, and honestly that's been one of my major complaints about Tulane. I think it depends on the university, and more so the program and department you're in. Guys tend to lean more towards epidemiology and biostatistics. It's been tough socially for me here, since I feel like a minority being a single guy amongst many girls who are in long-distance relationships.

Hi Guys,
I have got accepted in University of kentucky ( MPH in Health Services Management). Still waiting for response from Tulane, Drexel, Univ of south florida.
Can someone help me with the reputation of the University in the field of MPH. What are my career opportunities in the Field of Health services management? Is it worth doing MPH in Health services Management in the perspective of job opportunities. Kindly help me with this query. Thank you in advance.

A lot of schools will have an accreditation section in their 'About' section. Otherwise, Google.

They usually have a link on the page or an email of who to contact to obtain a copy.

Are most mph students girls? I'm a guy and feel like im in the minority here..not like im complaining but just wondering

I'm a guy. But, I'm also in an MCH program, so I expect it to be a minority there.

Depending on the department, you'll probably be in the minority. At my school, Health Promotion/Health Behavior is ~90% female, Epi is 60-70% female, and Biostats is pretty evenly split.

Haha, preach on! I'm currently in an MPH program, and honestly that's been one of my major complaints about Tulane. I think it depends on the university, and more so the program and department you're in. Guys tend to lean more towards epidemiology and biostatistics. It's been tough socially for me here, since I feel like a minority being a single guy amongst many girls who are in long-distance relationships.

there's always undergrad chicks!

Just submitted my admissions deposit for Emory!
Will be emailing Columbia, UNC, Drexel, Pitt, and GSU about declining their offers soon. Hopefully it'll help someone on the waitlist :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hi everyone, I looked up public service loan forgiveness & if you work in a 501 (3) non profit for 10 years & pay based on IBR, the remainder of your loans are erased/forgiven TAX FREE.....yay

Now I know Obama has said he'll cap the forgiven amount at $57,500 but that's only a proposal

Isn't that cool, TAX FREE, wow

So my question to you guys is this? What 501 (3) nonprofits are out there where you can make $70-120K ?

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone going to WashU this weekend?

Hi everyone, I looked up public service loan forgiveness & if you work in a 501 (3) non profit for 10 years & pay based on IBR, the remainder of your loans are erased/forgiven TAX FREE.....yay

Now I know Obama has said he'll cap the forgiven amount at $57,500 but that's only a proposal

Isn't that cool, TAX FREE, wow

So my question to you guys is this? What 501 (3) nonprofits are out there where you can make $70-120K ?
I head You're Dreaming Services is hiring ;)