New York COM (NYIT-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you guys for your suggestions! I did call them and send them an email, they told me they'll see what they can do. But they also told me to put down my deposit for the other school cause they can't guarantee if they'll get to my file in time. So it might be that different people are metting for different interview dates and there's some issues going on with the 9/15 interview.
Well, good luck! I hope it works out well for you. Either way, be happy that you're gonna be a doctor!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
interviewed 9/16, called and emailed, said I should hear this week! don't be nervous if you feel like calling.. the admissions staff is really helpful

Reactions: 1 users
Just called the Admissions office. Interviewed 9/29 and was told that most likely I will hear back after Thanksgiving. That will make it over 2 months of waiting! Anybody from 9/29 received any news yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just called the Admissions office. Interviewed 9/29 and was told that most likely I will hear back after Thanksgiving. That will make it over 2 months of waiting! Anybody from 9/29 received any news yet?

I interviewed 9/30 and heard back with an acceptance.
I would recommend calling them again.

Lol i interviewed 9.24, and live 30 minutes from the school, still heard nothing. i love how unorganized they are about everything!!

Reactions: 1 user
Lol i interviewed 9.24, and live 30 minutes from the school, still heard nothing. i love how unorganized they are about everything!!
This school seriously is making me question if I even wanna go there or not if they're gonna be this messy with their reviews. I heard back from other schools within weeks of my interview! The schools that didn't give me a response yet kept me up to date with emails about what they're doing. But it's in NY....only reason it's still my top...sigh:bang:

Just called the Office of Admissions... it seems as though they are accepting the people based on stats. I am aware my MCAT is on the lower end of the spectrum (27) and I interviewed 9/15 and still haven't heard back. The Admissions Committee told me that my application is essentially on hold because they haven't made a decision yet. That makes me think they basically choose the people with the highest stats first and leave the other people that interviewed in a separate pile. Doesn't seem very fair considering many of us have other deposits to put down at other schools and I had my interview within the first few weeks. Oh well. We will see what happens.

This school seriously is making me question if I even wanna go there or not if they're gonna be this messy with their reviews. I heard back from other schools within weeks of my interview! The schools that didn't give me a response yet kept me up to date with emails about what they're doing. But it's in NY....only reason it's still my top...sigh:bang:

Im likely not even gonna attend, I didnt like the interview day at all, and the school seemed so dry, administration has been so unorganized and that says a lot.. Its also really expensive.. I already got 5 other acceptances, I just want to know the decision from this school, so I can make my final decision about which school to attend, but its 95% that I wont be attending NYIT.. only reason I would be because its in NY lol, and family in 20 minutes away!

Just called the Office of Admissions... it seems as though they are accepting the people based on stats. I am aware my MCAT is on the lower end of the spectrum (27) and I interviewed 9/15 and still haven't heard back. The Admissions Committee told me that my application is essentially on hold because they haven't made a decision yet. That makes me think they basically choose the people with the highest stats first and leave the other people that interviewed in a separate pile. Doesn't seem very fair considering many of us have other deposits to put down at other schools and I had my interview within the first few weeks. Oh well. We will see what happens.

That seems so unfair and stupid, I have a MCAT thats also on the lower end, but have a killer GPA. I feel like its unfair to be selecting applicants now based off of stats, if you interviewed us, you should like our numbers.. its unfair!

But here's the thing, people with the same stats as me or very similar got an acceptance already....after interviewing after me. So I don't know what they're looking at if our stats are the same.

Seriously though! Why give an early interview if they're gonna accept based on stats. Why not give the people with highest stats early interviews. And I thought the whole point of an interview is you have the stats to make it, now lets see what kind of a person you are.

I also was afraid of that, but I asked him directly "it looks like people with better stats are getting responses sooner, is the delay based my scores?" and he actually reassured me that it is NOT, but he said "exact mechanism" of the process he is not allowed to discuss...

I mean, of course they aren't gonna tell you that that's the way they are picking the applicants! Haha. But I believe it. Regardless, this whole process has been so weird.

I mean, of course they aren't gonna tell you that that's the way they are picking the applicants! Haha. But I believe it. Regardless, this whole process has been so weird.
I know, but then he would just say that he cannot tell me, but he did say that it has nothing to do with stats! So keep your hopes up!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys!
Starting to get really nervous. NYIT is my first choice and i havent heard anything yet. 504 MCAT 3.67 GPA Computer Science-Mathematics Major. 100 hours of shadowing. lots of medical and non medical research. 100+ hours volunteering. MD letter of rec but I didnt get a DO letter of rec. I submitted my secondary on august 31st. Should I call them up? Try to get a DO rec and send it to them under addition info? Is it too soon for me to start worrying?

Does anyone have any insight on what to expect for the interview?

did anyone receive an interview in the last couple of days? I wonder when they will be sending their next batch of II invitations?

Accepted!
Interviewed 11/3
Letter dated 11/12
Delivered to my Boston apartment on 11/16

Congrats! Always good to hear that are people getting accepted. So far we haven't heard anything about rejections which is a good sign. But seriously, how can NYITCOM make people who interviewed in September continue to wait while others are getting responses in 2 weeks.

Does anyone have any insight on what to expect for the interview?

very relaxed and straightforward interview! I only got asked questions on the SDN feedback section but pm me if you'd like more info!

Nah i'dk if it's on Stats I had a low cum gpa and a lower mcat. I believe I was accepted just based on my ec's

Nah i'dk if it's on Stats I had a low cum gpa and a lower mcat. I believe I was accepted just based on my ec's

I hope so, i mean i have a 26 mcat, and 3.8 gpa, but have been accepted to 5 places already including touro, so I hope its not a stats issue because that would be really unfair. I also dont like how some people who interviewed in November have a response, when people like my who interviwed in september are still waiting. Congrats to all who are accepted, but it seems to me that NYIT is being really unorganized and is random in whatever they decide

It's not done as randomly as it may seem.
Even though nycom is private it takes 70% in state.
Specifically local people
However the president of nycom did make an announcement in 2014.
It was something along the lines of the school giving admissions priority to candidates who were thoroughly involved in the Healthcare field and have actively participated in volunteer activity clinically in the local community.
On file they said they would prefer a candidate with a 3.4/27 with extensive clinical and volunteer activity then a 4.0/32 with minimal clinical exposure.

For example last year one of my classmates in college was accepted with a 3.1 gpa but he did have like 8 years of volunteer experience in the hospital.
While my other friend with a 3.7 was waitlisted and later on rejected

Other schools are different though, in my two years off applying I've had about a dozen or so interviews and I was routinely out competed by people with higher gpa in the southern states which branches from PA and downwards.

It's not done as randomly as it may seem.
Even though nycom is private it takes 70% in state.
Specifically local people
However the president of nycom did make an announcement in 2014.
It was something along the lines of the school giving admissions priority to candidates who were thoroughly involved in the Healthcare field and have actively participated in volunteer activity clinically in the local community.
On file they said they would prefer a candidate with a 3.4/27 with extensive clinical and volunteer activity then a 4.0/32 with minimal clinical exposure.

For example last year one of my classmates in college was accepted with a 3.1 gpa but he did have like 8 years of volunteer experience in the hospital.
While my other friend with a 3.7 was waitlisted and later on rejected

Other schools are different though, in my two years off applying I've had about a dozen or so interviews and I was routinely out competed by people with higher gpa in the southern states which branches from PA and downwards.

Lol i agree, but I also have over 5000 hours volunteering, and doing clinical work, including mission work in different countries, I am also local lmfao, live 20 minutes away from the school.. so I dont know lmfao!! seems random!

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone else who interviewed early November(besides BeTheLeaf) hear anything? They said we should hear back in 4-6 weeks when I interviewed, but looking at this thread it seems that there is no reliable time frame to hear back.

Lol i agree, but I also have over 5000 hours volunteering, and doing clinical work, including mission work in different countries, I am also local lmfao, live 20 minutes away from the school.. so I dont know lmfao!! seems random!

I honestly think it has more to do with the people involved in reviewing your file than it does with you personally. I have a similar background, I have an intensive OMM background in being involved in physical therapy for over 3 years and done more clinical work than I could possibly think wouldn't be enough for them. If we got an interview it meant we had what they needed on paper.

I don't see any reason that they would be going thorough the applications like this other than the committee that's doing the review is all over the place.

Still have not heard back..going into a small manic phase :scared:

Hey guys!
Starting to get really nervous. NYIT is my first choice and i havent heard anything yet. 504 MCAT 3.67 GPA Computer Science-Mathematics Major. 100 hours of shadowing. lots of medical and non medical research. 100+ hours volunteering. MD letter of rec but I didnt get a DO letter of rec. I submitted my secondary on august 31st. Should I call them up? Try to get a DO rec and send it to them under addition info? Is it too soon for me to start worrying?
Don't worry so much just yet. I know they send interview invited way into the spring. They do slow down around the holiday time and pick back up after new years. This came from an advisor that worked for nyit admissions for years. I would start worrying if it's getting close to end of their interview cycle and they haven't contacted you, which is a while from now.

Idk what their review process is based on but I just received my acceptance in the mail today!!! I interviewed 11/11!! really fast response

502 MCAT 3.64 gpa and I did a lot of undergraduate research, have a published paper and volunteered at a free clinic

Accepted today as well, interviewed on 11/12

Wow, congrats guys. I may start freaking out if I dont hear by the end of the week haha as I interviewed before you guys.

I'm not sure how they work since I had a quick turnaround for everything

I interviewed 11/4/15 and received my letter of acceptance on 11/16/15! I noticed that the date of acceptance written on the letter was 11/10/15 so it seems that it is a quick turn around but obviously depending on where you live it may take awhile to receive the letter.

I interviewed 11/4/15 and received my letter of acceptance on 11/16/15! I noticed that the date of acceptance written on the letter was 11/10/15 so it seems that it is a quick turn around but obviously depending on where you live it may take awhile to receive the letter.
They took less than a week to make your decision? Wow! If only they had this efficiency with all other interviewees. Shows they're capable of doing it, but they just aren't for some people. This entire process from this school has been so weird!

Happy for those accepted but man it's really messed up that they're making decisions on people who interviewed this month. Like I think they owe us some sort of explanation....

Happy for those accepted but man it's really messed up that they're making decisions on people who interviewed this month. Like I think they owe us some sort of explanation....

Seriously, this is weird... kinda reminds me of the weirdness from VCU over on pre-allo

ACCEPTED!!!!!!!
**** yeah
mailmain rolled up
i ask him "you got anything good for me?"
he replies
"nah just this spam crap I swear the envolpes get bigger and bigger"
LOLLLLLL finally
thanks everyone for your support

ACCEPTED! Interviewed 9/15 LizzyM 69:)

ACCEPTED! Received letter on Friday the 13th haha, the letter is dated November 10th! I think my deposit is due in January as well, I emailed them today just to make sure.
I interviewed on 09/22, for those who are curious

ACCEPTED!! No more than an hour after I submitted that email, an admissions officer called me to tell me "congratulations!" I'm so excited - this is my first choice school! Again, best of luck to everyone!

Accepted!
Interviewed 11/3
Letter dated 11/12
Delivered to my Boston apartment on 11/16

Idk what their review process is based on but I just received my acceptance in the mail today!!! I interviewed 11/11!! really fast response

Decided to take a study break and came across this thread. Major congrats guys, I think you'll really like it here! Enjoy your free time now before things start getting crazy haha. I remember getting accepted like it was yesterday, and I'm a second year now; you won't believe how fast the time flies. Good luck to all those waiting to hear back... IIRC it took more than 2 months for me to hear back and I live close to the school.

Reactions: 2 users
really bummed that I interviewed in sept and haven't heard back yet but people who interviewed last week already have gotten an acceptance. my opinion of this school is quickly dwindling, this whole process seeems pretty disorganized and it doesn't help that i was not impressed with the administration during my interview.

For those of you who interviewed in November and were accepted..do you live close to the school? In state or OOS?

I live IS, around 45 minutes from the school

Do you mind sharing your stats? Also, what type of questions did they ask in your interview? I interviewed around the same time as you and wondering if what they asked makes any type of difference... Thanks!

cGPA 3.89, MCAT 30, My interviewer asked my biggest failure, my biggest accomplishment, my biggest pet peeve, and then I just slipped in why NYCOM and DO, it was very conversational but thats all I can remember, sorry :(

cGPA 3.89, MCAT 30, My interviewer asked my biggest failure, my biggest accomplishment, my biggest pet peeve, and then I just slipped in why NYCOM and DO, it was very conversational but thats all I can remember, sorry :(

Thanks!