New York COM (NYIT-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted!! First one!! I'm crying!

Congrats! I just received an interview invitation and am pretty excited. Would you be able to just briefly talk about how the day went, the interview format, etc.?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Guys!!!! I just received my supplemental application link today!!! If I submit it in the next 2-3 days, how long does it typically take to hear back? I feel like I'm so late in the game.

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys!!!! I just received my supplemental application link today!!! If I submit it in the next 2-3 days, how long does it typically take to hear back? I feel like I'm so late in the game.

I also applied pretty late -- my file wasn't complete until mid February -- and it only took a couple of weeks for me to hear back, so I would think it wouldn't be long at this point in the cycle!

if you haven't heard back about an II after 4 months of being complete is it pretty much over for this school?

does the background check really cost $121?

I also applied pretty late -- my file wasn't complete until mid February -- and it only took a couple of weeks for me to hear back, so I would think it wouldn't be long at this point in the cycle!
how did you know your file was complete?

Interviewing Thursday March 1st, anybody else interviewing the same day? Any interview advice?

GL to everyone! The interview was very short so don't stress too much. Just make sure you know everything on your works/activities because they might ask u some questions on it. The hardest part was actually trying to be brief and concise since the interview was only ~15min. So you really have know what points are you trying to get across in a short time.

Side note...finally committed to NYIT after going back and forth between NYIT and DMU. Looking forward to meeting the 2020 class!

Last edited:
GL to everyone! The interview was very short so don't stress too much. Just make sure you know everything on your works/activities because they might ask u some questions on it. The hardest part was actually trying to be brief and concise since the interview was only ~15min. So you really have know what points are you trying to get across in a short time.

Side note...finally committed to NYIT after going back and forth between NYIT and DMU. Looking forward to meeting the 2020 class!

Could I ask you what your main reasons for your choice are?

Members don't see this ad :)
response to redman,

1. OPTI: Nycomec
2. Location: More crowded = more hospital with high volume of trauma cases to see closeby. Many of which are pretty famous.
3. Diversity of matchlist (prob due to #1 + #2?)

But it was really hard to make the choice. BOTH have very clear strengths and weakness. All about wat matters to you and which vibe (at the interview) did you enjoy more. For me, cost was not high on the list because I don't mind spending a longer time in debt as long as I end up where I enjoy and subsequently in a profession I enjoy.

Last edited:
Interviewed 2/25, Accepted... Idk. I went home for the weekend and found the acceptance letter in a pile of mail! Best of luck to everyone still waiting.

Interviewed 2/25, Accepted... Idk. I went home for the weekend and found the acceptance letter in a pile of mail! Best of luck to everyone still waiting.
Same here accepted yesterday ! Were you morning of afternoon interview. I was the redhead who kept saying waitlist action haha

Reactions: 1 users
Anybody know of a good way to find housing? I feel like neither the facebook group or the my.nyit.edu links are very helpful. And craigslist has been unsuccessful as well! lol

Anybody know of a good way to find housing? I feel like neither the facebook group or the my.nyit.edu links are very helpful. And craigslist has been unsuccessful as well! lol

I'm in the same boat. Admissions is supposed to provide access to the web board sometime soon I think. There is also supposedly a housing folder at the library but I haven't taken a trip to find out. Craiglist is the worst. I'm sure you can find something good if you weed through all the scams but there's so many. There were several listings that responded and asked for a credit score check from some specific website. I thought it was weird so I googled it and sure enough I found it was a scam to get you to sign up for a subscription and the website will bill you every month.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat. Admissions is supposed to provide access to the web board sometime soon I think. There is also supposedly a housing folder at the library but I haven't taken a trip to find out. Craiglist is the worst. I'm sure you can find something good if you weed through all the scams but there's so many. There were several listings that responded and asked for a credit score check from some specific website. I thought it was weird so I googled it and sure enough I found it was a scam to get you to sign up for a subscription and the website will bill you every month.

It's pretty frustrating! I'm hoping to go down for a weekend soon to just go and look around. I have a friend who goes to Stonybrook but her apartment is way too far for me to room with her, which is a bummer!

It's pretty frustrating! I'm hoping to go down for a weekend soon to just go and look around. I have a friend who goes to Stonybrook but her apartment is way too far for me to room with her, which is a bummer!

I think it's a bit early right now. I think around May or June you'll see better apartments. Yeah, Stonybrook wouldn't make sense. I'm looking mostly around Glen Cove, Roslyn, Hicksville

Current first year here, and I'd like to comment on the attrition rate.

Coming into the school, I was admittedly a bit nervous about it because I think we all know what it's like to take classes (cough, Orgo, cough) where the administration seems to set you up to fail. This is not the case AT ALL. If you play your part at NYCOM and work hard, you will have absolutely no trouble succeeding. The faculty is great and my classmates are super smart.

Any questions, feel free to PM me.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys,

Just wondering, if I have had silence for almost three months now, what do you think my chances are? I'm mostly doing this to assuage my fears lol. I know the best thing to do is wait but I get antsy.
For anyone that is curious: I was complete around mid December, LizzyM of 70, still doing clinical experiences rn.

Current first year here, and I'd like to comment on the attrition rate.

Coming into the school, I was admittedly a bit nervous about it because I think we all know what it's like to take classes (cough, Orgo, cough) where the administration seems to set you up to fail. This is not the case AT ALL. If you play your part at NYCOM and work hard, you will have absolutely no trouble succeeding. The faculty is great and my classmates are super smart.

Any questions, feel free to PM me.

Are you a lecture or DPC student?

I will be moving out to NY from Massachusetts and haven't been able to find much housing. Any ideas when admissions will post the eboard and if it's any good?

I will be moving out to NY from Massachusetts and haven't been able to find much housing. Any ideas when admissions will post the eboard and if it's any good?

Check your nyit email. They sent important information today regarding health insurance, orientation and the webboard log in. There aren't many housing listings but I'm assuming there will be more come May/June

Anyone planning on living with roommates?

Ok thanks I will keep an eye out. I am also planning on living with roommates, just don't know anybody yet!

Not sure what I want to do yet. I was pretty set on living solo but these Glen Cove apartments are making me consider roommates. Too damn expensive lol.

Ok thanks I will keep an eye out. I am also planning on living with roommates, just don't know anybody yet!

No problem. Yeah me either, definitely need to come up with a pre-screen to weed out the wackos haha

Agreed haha. I don't know the area at all so at first I was thinking it didn't matter alone vs roommates... then I saw the prices.

Interviewed - 3/3
Accepted - 3/11

Filling out my deposit as we speak, good luck to everyone still waiting!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys :) can anyone offer some advice about white coat sizing? We just got an email about it and I'm not sure what size to get. How do they run and is it better for them to be bigger or more fitted?

Thanks

what grades do we have to maintain to not lose our acceptance for the spring semester?

Yes there is a group. NYIT-COM class of 2020.