Official 2014-2015 Season Post Interview Waiting-To-Hear-Back Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
JUST GOT ACCEPTED INTO MEDICAL SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!! Talk about a journey! :)

holy moly. SO SO PROUD AND HAPPY FOR YOU!!!! congratulations. so well deserved.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Love this thread!

Waiting to hear back from 4 interviews all from earlier this month and my last II is tomorrow. Initially I felt confident but the doubt gremlins are creeping in. Thinking about some of my answers makes me cringe. Striking the balance between optimism and managing my expectations is exhausting.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Officially five, but the one I thought I did well on (UCSF) didn't turn out so well.
Same for me. Don't worry though! I'm sure you'll get in somewhere! Rooting for you!

Reactions: 1 users
Love this thread!

Waiting to hear back from 4 interviews all from earlier this month and my last II is tomorrow. Initially I felt confident but the doubt gremlins are creeping in. Thinking about some of my answers makes me cringe. Striking the balance between optimism and managing my expectations is exhausting.

Took the words right out my mouth! Ugh I have agita thinking about all of this. I don't post often or frequently and part of the reason is to save my self from the insanity of this process.... like that is really working lol. Just gotta keep our heads up and pray (if you're into that).

Hey everyone!

I just wanted you to know that if you're still waiting to hear back, be patient! Good things are soon to come! It's crazy because two weeks ago I was stressed out about this cycle, and now I have been accepted to three schools.

Just be patient...and things will work out.

Waiting for Einstein, UMass, and Miami. That's the order of importance as well, though Einstein and UMass are tied for my top. I'd love to tell Miami that I'm going to one of those other places after an unnecessarily hostile interview.

Its almost February. :eek:

Waiting for Einstein, UMass, and Miami. That's the order of importance as well, though Einstein and UMass are tied for my top. I'd love to tell Miami that I'm going to one of those other places after an unnecessarily hostile interview.
From what I have heard of UMass, its a good school, especially for its price point. If I had all the letters necessary, then I would have applied.

From what I have heard of UMass, its a good school, especially for its price point. If I had all the letters necessary, then I would have applied.

How did you not get letters together to apply there!

How did you not get letters together to apply there!
Well I don't have a committee at my school, and UMass requires a biology, chemistry, or physics departments and none of my letters(including science letters) came from those departments ;). definitely can see why UMass is a top choice, hope you are successful there!

Members don't see this ad :)
6 Interviews so far, no responses. I have another scheduled for mid Feb that I'm not excited about but I can't bring myself to cancel one if I don't have a confirmed seat yet... I hate this waiting!!!

Reactions: 1 user
6 Interviews so far, no responses. I have another scheduled for mid Feb that I'm not excited about but I can't bring myself to cancel one if I don't have a confirmed seat yet... I hate this waiting!!!

I hear you. I'm tired of the words "excruciating" and "grueling". I've used them far too much this year to describe all this lol

I hear you .. Are most of you waiting on mid-March releases? @_@

I had a whole bunch of January interviews, so I suspect I could be waiting for decisions from next week through the end of March, depending on how slow each school is. Also have interviews coming up this month! so as absolutely exhausted as I am of waiting, my wait has really just begun, and it sucks.

The wait for one school is officially over for me... ACCEPTED TO MY FIRST MEDICAL SCHOOL! GOD IS GREAT!

So excited! Keep hope alive guys!!

Reactions: 18 users
The wait for one school is officially over for me... ACCEPTED TO MY FIRST MEDICAL SCHOOL! GOD IS GREAT!

@drmak89 , congratulations! Feels like crawling out from under an enormous weight, doesn't it?

@drmak89 , congratulations! Feels like crawling out from under an enormous weight, doesn't it?

Absolutely does! That's the best analogy for all of this. I feel like I've been holding my breath and now I can finally breathe. Good luck to everyone still waiting for good news! I'm rooting for you all !!

I take this back. I got my first one! Finally!

Reactions: 14 users

And now people from my interview date at all those schools have heard back decisions and I am in le limbo. dun dun dun.

And now people from my interview date at all those schools have heard back decisions and I am in le limbo. dun dun dun.
Here is something funny, @ridethecliche -- even as my own suspense persists, I am also wondering where some of my associates on sdn will end up, you among them. Uh-oh. Perhaps I've become addicted to suspense and uncertainty?

I just really need sleep. And to stay away from SDN for a while.

Reactions: 3 users
Still waiting on that mid-March decision release train .. @_@

Some days I'm like: so happy I'll be a med student somewhere.

Some days I just can't handle not knowing all the decisions.

It's almost been 9 months! This process is so long...

I'm waiting on a bunch of decisions (some I expected to hear from by now), and the wait is eating me alive.

There's a particular deferred list I would give my left foot to get off of. I want to wait as long as possible to see if I ever do, but at a certain point, it's just not fair to my partner to still not know where he should look for a job :(

The worst-case scenario is if I finally decide that enough is enough in June or something, commit fully to whatever acceptance I'm holding at that time, and like a week later I get accepted to the dream school. :scared:

There's a particular deferred list I would give my left foot to get off of. I want to wait as long as possible to see if I ever do, but at a certain point, it's just not fair to my partner to still not know where he should look for a job :(

The worst-case scenario is if I finally decide that enough is enough in June or something, commit fully to whatever acceptance I'm holding at that time, and like a week later I get accepted to the dream school. :scared:
Truer words have never been spoken. For me, tho, I'm going to Miami if I get off their alternate list no matter how late it is. Even if it's like 1 week before classes start and I don't have an apartment or roommates...

Truer words have never been spoken. For me, tho, I'm going to Miami if I get off their alternate list no matter how late it is. Even if it's like 1 week before classes start and I don't have an apartment or roommates...
I wish I had that flexibility :( I mean, maybe if I beg hard enough, but after a certain point it just doesn't seem feasible with a partner who needs to work.

I wish I had that flexibility :( I mean, maybe if I beg hard enough, but after a certain point it just doesn't seem feasible with a partner who needs to work.
Agreed. It's very tough thinking about a future home with another person and having it be one place for so long and then change to another or have the potential for it to change to another!

CONGRATS!!! :)

Only got 1 interview. Interview went OK, not amazing. Hoping I get in! Also, I'm new to internet premed lingo. What do "II's" mean?

Only got 1 interview. Interview went OK, not amazing. Hoping I get in! Also, I'm new to internet premed lingo. What do "II's" mean?
Interview invitation. Good luck!

@IAmBlessed, glad you got an interview, and I hope that it gets you in. Did you follow up with a written note? Not sure that the thank-you helps at all, but the note can reinforce the good impression you made--and it gives you another chance to state how interested you are in the school, and what a good fit you are for that school. Again, good luck to you!

Same situation here. Waitlisted at a top choice, waiting for a decision from another and torn between two acceptances. My fiance and I keep going back and forth each day.

I'm waiting to hear back from 3 schools all of which have released some decisions from the day that I was interviewed. It's starting to get old lol.

Atleast I don't have to worry about getting any more II's at this point I don't think... I mean... my license is expiring next month and I'm going to have to let it lapse for atleast a week. It would be kind of hilarious to get a II where I'd need to drive in that interim.

I'm waiting to hear back from 3 schools all of which have released some decisions from the day that I was interviewed. It's starting to get old lol.

Atleast I don't have to worry about getting any more II's at this point I don't think... I mean... my license is expiring next month and I'm going to have to let it lapse for atleast a week. It would be kind of hilarious to get a II where I'd need to drive in that interim.
Murphy's Law.....lol

I have had exactly one II and attended exactly one interview. At my first choice school. I felt really pretty good about my interviews right after I had them. but now I am beginning to second-guess how well they went. . . why, self? this wait is painfully slow.

I have had exactly one II and attended exactly one interview. At my first choice school. I felt really pretty good about my interviews right after I had them. but now I am beginning to second-guess how well they went. . . why, self? this wait is painfully slow.
At least now it is down for two weeks for all the dust to settle for those remaining in the dark (as far as I know, from reading other threads, schools must notify applicants by March 15th, and that lands on a Sunday, so we should hear back from anything remaining by March 13th).

At least now it is down for two weeks for all the dust to settle for those remaining in the dark (as far as I know, from reading other threads, schools must notify applicants by March 15th, and that lands on a Sunday, so we should hear back from anything remaining by March 13th).
I'm quite sure this is not the case. Schools can let you know whenever they want.

I'm quite sure this is not the case. Schools can let you know whenever they want.
You are right, they can. But @RedPhys has a point. The AAMC traffic rules (which should be known as guidelines) recommend that schools:
By March 15 of the matriculation year, issue a number of acceptance offers at least equal to the expected number of students in its first-year entering class and report those acceptance actions to AMCAS.
Some schools seem to openly flaunt this by saying they'll notify students in April (WashU) or even interviewing them then (Stanford). Although it's possible that they are following this to the letter by accepting enough students to equal their number of seats before then.

Last edited:
You are right, they can. But @RedPhys has a point. The AAMC traffic rules (which should be known as guidelines) recommend that schools:

Some schools seem to openly flaunt this by saying they'll notify students in April (WashU) or even interviewing them then (Stanford). Although it's possible that they are following this to the letter by accepting enough students to equal their number of seats before then.
Oh, alright. Thanks! I didn't realize it read that way. I stand semi-corrected.

Add JHU to that list with their faux rolling/non-rolling admissions. Who am I kidding, I'd take love from Hopkins any month of the year, even if it's August 1st.

okay so if the rule is "at least" the number of expected students, then we could hear back at any time, regardless of if the class has reached its quota or not. correct?

2 II, 2 holds, 5 silent + what seems like a gazillion rejections. Should hear back about both of those interviews in the next two weeks, but gaaaaaahhhh this wait is killing me!