Official 2014 UC Post-Bacc Consortium Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would you rather know later or now?

I would rather be put out of the misery of waiting around and move on with a back up plan.

I feel like everyone they are interested in interviewing have heard already. Like dieanotherday said, moving on to Plan B. Oh wellz. :(:(:(

Members don't see this ad.

I feel like everyone they are interested in interviewing have heard already. Like dieanotherday said, moving on to Plan B. Oh wellz. :(:(:(
Don't lose hope MD_Inspired. There's still a lot of time left in the interviewing cycle. UCSF told me they would be interviewing into late May and UCD said they interview into late May as well. UCI might be done interviewing, but they're only one program out of four programs (five if re-applicant).

Anybody know when the other universities will stop sending out offers to interview?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Would you rather know later or now?

I would rather be put out of the misery of waiting around and move on with a back up plan.

I would like to know earlier rather than later but figured I would get a rejection letter. I was told early april that they would likely interview through first week of may. Only applied to UCI so yes moving on to back up plan.

I had my interview yesterday. Just be yourself, know your story and you will be fine. Expect the common questions (i.e. weakness/strengths, why medicine, why you, etc.) A quick Google search of common interview questions will be helpful. Congratulations on your interview invite!

Thank you SO much! How did you like the campus? It sounds very similar to UCI's interview

I was accepted at UCI and I have to let them know if I plan to attend before my UCSF interview on May 6. Any advice?

Does anyone know any advantages of UCSF vs UCI, or vice versa?

Thank you SO much! How did you like the campus? It sounds very similar to UCI's interview
You're welcome. I didn't see the campus during my interview. The classes are taken through uc Berkeley extension which has four campuses (Berkeley, Berkeley campuses, San Francisco and Belmont). From what they told me and what if saw its a great program. They take great care of their students and really strive to help you get into the program you want. They have a really high success rate so that's a good sign of the effectiveness of the program.

So my application shows that they received all my letters, transcripts, and past AMCAS summary, but my application is still 'pending'. Did that happen to anyone else, or am I missing something?

I was accepted at UCI and I have to let them know if I plan to attend before my UCSF interview on May 6. Any advice?

Does anyone know any advantages of UCSF vs UCI, or vice versa?
I haven't been to Irvine so I can't say anything about the advantages between the two programs, but I can shed some light on the SF program. Like pDeluxe mentioned SF is expensive, however from what the directors told me, most students don't live in SF for that exact reason plus most of the classes taken are in Berkeley so living closer to Berkeley would be a better option. Also, they have a really great record in terms of getting students into professional school. It is expensive, but since they are a graduate certificate program you have more financial aid available for you plus they give you stipend during the summer. All that said, keep in mind that you might not get accepted to the UCSF program so giving up an acceptance at UCI for the possibility of an acceptance at UCSF is risky. Did you feel comfortable at UCI? Ultimately, it is up to you. Is it worth giving up a sure thing for a possibility of attending UCSF? Only you can answer that question. I wish you luck!

I haven't been to Irvine so I can't say anything about the advantages between the two programs, but I can shed some light on the SF program. Like pDeluxe mentioned SF is expensive, however from what the directors told me, most students don't live in SF for that exact reason plus most of the classes taken are in Berkeley so living closer to Berkeley would be a better option. Also, they have a really great record in terms of getting students into professional school. It is expensive, but since they are a graduate certificate program you have more financial aid available for you plus they give you stipend during the summer. All that said, keep in mind that you might not get accepted to the UCSF program so giving up an acceptance at UCI for the possibility of an acceptance at UCSF is risky. Did you feel comfortable at UCI? Ultimately, it is up to you. Is it worth giving up a sure thing for a possibility of attending UCSF? Only you can answer that question. I wish you luck!
Do you need to place a deposit? You can always withdraw your spot later and lose out on deposit

Do you need to place a deposit? You can always withdraw your spot later and lose out on deposit
That would be another option, however, I believe you sign a contract when you accept stating that you will attend their program.

Yeah you sign those to hold your spot when u apply to multiple med schools and get in you have a similar contract too and a financial commitment to each school

Nothing happens if you decide not to go except you lose out on money and there is an established wait List for the post Bac so your spot won't go to waste

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't lose hope MD_Inspired. There's still a lot of time left in the interviewing cycle. UCSF told me they would be interviewing into late May and UCD said they interview into late May as well. UCI might be done interviewing, but they're only one program out of four programs (five if re-applicant).

Thanks for the encouragement abtl31. I must, however, find a way to entertain myself while the silence carries on......:whistle::whistle:

We haven't placed a deposit, but they are asking for us to start signing up for admission. Yikes! I also don't think we have to sign a contract. Or we haven't been asked yet.

We haven't placed a deposit, but they are asking for us to start signing up for admission. Yikes! I also don't think we have to sign a contract. Or we haven't been asked yet.
It's up to you DR. TORTILLA. Where would you rather spend a year of your life? From what I've heard Irvine is a beautiful city. My cousin is a sophomore at UC Irvine and he absolutely loves it. San Francisco has a lot to offer so it depends on where you would rather be. Remember it is only one year. Is it worth giving up UCI for an interview at UCSF and then not get accepted to UCSF? I wish you luck. It's not an easy decision, but you'll know what's best for you. Good luck.

Does anyone know when UCI plans to send out acceptances for the rest of their cohort? I interviewed there over a week ago but haven't heard back, and UCSD's deposit is due Monday..

Does anyone know when UCI plans to send out acceptances for the rest of their cohort? I interviewed there over a week ago but haven't heard back, and UCSD's deposit is due Monday..
I think they accepted everyone already. When I interviewed they said we would hear from this week. Most of us heard on or before Monday about acceptance. They might open up spots if people end up not accepting the spot.

I think they accepted everyone already. When I interviewed they said we would hear from this week. Most of us heard on or before Monday about acceptance. They might open up spots if people end up not accepting the spot.
Hmm okay thanks! Looks like it'll be SD for me

I haven't heard anything from UCSF, UCD or UCR. My application was complete 4/18. Hopefully soon!

I haven't heard anything from UCSF, UCD or UCR. My application was complete 4/18. Hopefully soon!

I haven't heard anything back from those 3 either. My application was complete 3/20.
At this point, I'm trying not to get my hopes up. I feel like the later it gets, the less chance of acceptance...

I haven't heard anything back from those 3 either. My application was complete 3/20.
At this point, I'm trying not to get my hopes up. I feel like the later it gets, the less chance of acceptance...
Don't get discouraged future_DO_bgv, I interviewed 4/24 at UCSF and they said it was the first day of interviews so there is still a lot of time left in the interview process. UCD has been interview for awhile now, but the director said they will interview into May maybe first weeks of June. As for UCR, I haven't the faintest idea but if you're anxious just give them a quick call and ask to check the status of your application. Good luck and don't give up.

Just got the UCSF interview invite

Reactions: 3 users
LOL. I don't think it matters... you got the INVITE :) :thumbup::thumbup: how i wish to be in your shoes. :bow:
haha true true. Just found it odd that it's not a uniform notification process. I'm scheduled for later this month! Thanks and good luck to everyone else!

Congrats to the both of you! I wish you the best of luck on your interviews!

I jus wanna feel some love :love: and I aint getting it from these programs. :(:inpain:

Congratulations on the UCSF interview invites guys! I wish you luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Funny thing happened to me today. So, I received a rejection email from UCI and I didn't even apply there. hmmm. i guess that's how much they hate me :(:(

Reactions: 1 users
I jus wanna feel some love :love: and I aint getting it from these programs. :(:inpain:
Don't get discouraged MD_Inspired. The deadline for re-applicants is May 13 so there is still plenty of time left in this application cycle.

Got a rejection letter from UCI as well, I don't think they even took the time to read applications after they filled the openings in this years cohort. I didn't even make the deadline for application to UCI.

I also received a rejection email from UCI today which didn't surprise me seeing as I wasn't offered an interview haha. On a different note, I spoke with the director of the UC Davis program and she said they will continue reviewing applications throughout the month of May and possibly into the first week of June so there's still hope! And once again congratulations to all of you with acceptances and interviews! Best of luck!

Last edited:
Congrats to everyone getting interviews! I still haven't heard anything but am patiently waiting. I 'm just focused on my graduation this Saturday! On another note, if accepted, does anyone know when the "summer component" starts, because I was accepted to a summer enrichment program and I want to participate, but I don't know if there will be a conflict, which I feel like there will be.

Don't get discouraged MD_Inspired. The deadline for re-applicants is May 13 so there is still plenty of time left in this application cycle.

@abtl31: thanks for the positive words. there are still plenty of time left and its good to see that UCD is still considering applicants. What would be your other plan if things don't work out in the end?

Got a rejection letter from UCI as well, I don't think they even took the time to read applications after they filled the openings in this years cohort. I didn't even make the deadline for application to UCI.

Yes, it seems like they didn't spend time at all looking over the other applications. It says on their email that they considered all applicants, but I doubt this is the case.

Just thought I'd stop by and say how awesome the UC postbacs are. I did mine at UCLA for the reapp stuff and it was incredibly helpful in improving my credentials for my app. I probably had so much more success with instate schools this time because of it. So, the program definitely works! Good luck guys!

Reactions: 2 users
@abtl31: thanks for the positive words. there are still plenty of time left and its good to see that UCD is still considering applicants. What would be your other plan if things don't work out in the end?
I'm not sure yet. I have a couple ideas, but I'm going to wait until I hear back before I make any final decisions.