Official 2015-2016 Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't believe in this. After 3 years of residency, I believe that we all are at an equal playing field and have doors open to strong academic programs. There's no point in discriminating on such forums. It doesn't help any one.

It is stupid because it won't change anything, but I can tell you it's not an equal playing field. That's just the way it's going to be.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It never was and hardly ever will be an even playing field. Pedigree in various forms plays a definite role but this forum is not for reform. Such list may help to find "IMG friendly" programs but there are no hard and fast rules for Hem/Onc fellowship. I have scoured web and program pages for "our fellows" and there will be one or two fellows in last three years who appear to be IMG. And there are some without any. I cant base my application decision on that information. I simply have to try out...so one list should suffice. I will simply annotate my list as IMG in my posts and so can others to give perspective for future img applicants. just my 2c.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't believe in this. After 3 years of residency, I believe that we all are at an equal playing field and have doors open to strong academic programs. There's no point in discriminating on such forums. It doesn't help any one.

The best way to examine this question is precisely to stratify by immigration category.
I am sure that programs dont "discriminate" on the basis of visa status - but it is also a surrogate for medical schools abroad, perhaps community based programs , lack of research or access to top faculty in the field who can write letters or call up programs.

anyway. should be an interesting experiment... if one chooses to do so.

Members don't see this ad :)
First IV yesterday: ECU.

Reactions: 1 user
Good luck everyone...hoping for something positive today...

How about just asterisk* the places that gave an IMG an interview? And can you fix the list so that the Baylor interview is Baylor (Dallas)?

Interview Invite Dates

Baylor (Dallas): 7/27
ECU: 7/27
NYU: 7/27
St. John Providence, MI: 7/27
Thomas Jefferson: 7/20
UColorado: 7/23
UIowa: 7/24
UMichigan: 7/21
UNC: 7/21
UPMC: 7/24
Utah: 7/21
UTHSC San Antonio: 7/27
VCU: 7/22
Yale: 7/23

The best way to examine this question is precisely to stratify by immigration category.
I am sure that programs dont "discriminate" on the basis of visa status - but it is also a surrogate for medical schools abroad, perhaps community based programs , lack of research or access to top faculty in the field who can write letters or call up programs.

anyway. should be an interesting experiment... if one chooses to do so.
I started the process of differentiating the ivs based on visa category in the GI forum and feel obligated to give the basis of doing it as three lists.
1. It is definitely not a level playing field. Many programs do not sponsor visas, at least in the GI world. Although some of them have NIH sponsored spots that cannot be given to visa requiring candidates, majority of programs are ACGME sponsored and have capability of giving visas. I was told by many seniors that the program has to explain to the administration about why they are ranking visa requiring IMGs higher than AMGs and get approval of the bosses. If this is new to you, then you probably aren't aware of the match statistics from ERAS 2013. Please see page 66 of the link below.
http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/chartingoutcomessms2011.pdf
As you can very well see, non US IMGs who matched in that cycle required higher mean step 1, 2 scores, more abstracts, more work experience than AMGs who matched in the same cycle. Page 69 shows you how many AMGs applied and matched vs how many visa requiring IMGs applied and matched. This is actual reality in the real world. IMGs in this forum are not fighting that this is wrong but just to write it off that IMGs are in equal level playing field as AMGs is a wrong assumption

2. Why should the list be differentiated into 3 categories? One is for peer to peer comparison. AMG wont know which programs he has a stronger chance and same applies to IMG when looking at an unified list. Some programs do prefer AMGs over IMGs and having a list that shows that will help the applicants in the future definitely. When someone is short on money, he can at least make sure he applies to all the programs that called for IVs in his category. Doing the list in 3 categories is not going to hurt anyone but actually be more beneficial for the respective groups. An IMG can look up the list and know where he stands. Unlike AMGs who can get a job instantly when they dont get interviews, for IMGs, even securing jobs are difficult. Have you guys heard about waiver jobs? Do you know how tough it is to get waiver jobs in a desired location? The application has to be filed on October 1 for starting a job next july 1 and once application is filed, the person cant participate in fellowship match. This list will help such applicants who are in a vulnerable group. Unless you had IMGs in your residency program who are on a visa, chances are that you never heard of these.

Again this reply is not to hurt anyone but inform others. Still if you do not want to have the list categorized, its upto you guys in this forum. But do understand that it will benefit someone someday and it doesnt hurt to have a list that has 3 categories.
Good luck!!

Interview Invite Dates

St. John Providence, MI: 7/27
UKentucky: 7/28

I agree. It is better to list it as three separate categories for better peer to peer comparison.

I agree. It is better to list it as three separate categories for better peer to peer comparison.

If you guys really think that this is that important, maybe we can add an asterisk next to the name of the places where non-AMG folks got interviews. At least then it won't make things super-unwieldy with multiple different lists. Also, if non-AMG people want to have their own thread, that could work too I guess (although I really think that would be kind of overboard).

Members don't see this ad :)
I like the asterisk idea. Asterisk for IMG no visa and ^ for IMG with visa?

On another note, it's somewhat mean of ERAS to send out those update emails that look just like the interview invite emails. I get palpitations before I open them, hoping for an invite.

I agree that it would be unwieldy with 3 lists. Might be simpler to just do * for IMG with visa and ** for IMG without visa.

And please don't let this thread evolve into a rant between IMG vs. AMGs. And I got palpitations too.

St. John Providence, MI**: 7/27
UConn**:7/28

I am a non-visa requiring IMG, training in a mid tier university affiliated program. Usmle scores were 250-260 range. Have multiple publications including original research manuscripts, case reports and abstracts. Applied to 60 programs. I've had zero interviews so far. It would be helpful if we knew the credentials of everyone getting interviews, but I guess not everyone feels comfortable sharing them.

Updated List

Interview Invites:
NCI: 7/29
UColorado*: 7/23
UNC*: 7/21
UTSW*: 7/29

* IMG - no visa reqd; ** IMG - visa reqd

Last edited:
I am a non-visa requiring IMG, training in a mid tier university affiliated program. Usmle scores were 250-260 range. Have multiple publications including original research manuscripts, case reports and abstracts. Applied to 60 programs. I've had zero interviews so far. It would be helpful if we knew the credentials of everyone getting interviews, but I guess not everyone feels comfortable sharing them.

What about using this format

1. AMG vs. IMG (visa status)
2. USMLE scores
3. Current residency program (Univ. vs. Univ aff. community vs. community)
4. Publications
- Original research
- Post/Oral presentation
- Case report

#spamaccount

I could be wrong, but despite what some other posters have claimed, I honestly think that being an IMG hurts a bit. Your scores are good. I can't comment on the quality of your research since I know nothing about the journals/conferences you were at. The quality of your residency program and LORs are probably more important than your scores and even to a certain extent, more important than your research. That said, the season is still early, people have only listed 18 programs so far and based on previous year's threads, many programs were inviting on a rolling basis. Interestingly, there are some programs from last year's threads that were inviting quite early and aren't being posted now -- not sure if the programs have altered their invite schedule or if people are just being quiet.

Congrats on Stanford! It's been all quiet on the western front for West Coast programs for me.

I am not sure if there is a red flag or not. Its too early in application process and he/she may get plenty of interviews. Three could be other challenges like older graduate, years out of residency etc. And university affiliated graduation is a big drawback as I know for myself first hand (compared to university program). And visa required or not IMG status does affect decision process, many of fellowship review committee members has told me this in my personal conversation. "pedigree" often comes up in review process.

Smarty, would you mind sharing your credentials? Thanks!

***Updated

Interview Invites:

Stanford: 7/29
UKentucky**: 7/28

***Updated

Interview Invites:

Thomas Jefferson*: 7/20
Orlando Health*: 7/30
UIowa*: 7/24

Interview Invites:
Moffitt: 7/30

UFlorida: 7/30

Interview Invites:

UFlorida*: 7/30
Utah*: 7/21

Fixed alphabetical order, looks like a day for Florida programs...

Interview Invites:

* IMG - no visa reqd; ** IMG - visa reqdFixed alphabetical order

Rearranging the list.

Interview Invites:
Thomas Jefferson**: 7/20
UIowa**: 7/24
VCU**: 7/22

Niunius,6 minutes agoReport
#190Like+ Quote

Fox Chase

Interview Invites:
Fox Chase: 7/30
Thomas Jefferson**: 7/20
UIowa**: 7/24
VCU**: 7/22

I don't think sharing my specific credentials will be all that helpful or enlightening. Let me preface this by stating that I'm an AMG, MD-only applicant. As mentioned in previous posts, pedigree and a genuine commitment to the physician-scientist path are what the most competitive academic programs value most. I am fortunate to be at a top IM program and my goal is to become a physician-investigator, which I think my track record and letters of recommendation support.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I have a similar background as above, and received my first rejection from Scott and White - Temple.

Rest of my interviews thus far are already on the master list above. I feel like people post on here before even replying to confirm their interview?

Congrats Smarty on the interviews...seems like you have many nice options already.

I don't think sharing my specific credentials will be all that helpful or enlightening. Let me preface this by stating that I'm an AMG, MD-only applicant. As mentioned in previous posts, pedigree and a genuine commitment to the physician-scientist path are what the most competitive academic programs value most. I am fortunate to be at a top IM program and my goal is to become a physician-investigator, which I think my track-record and letters of recommendation support.

A sensible reply, finally! Good luck Smarty686! Happy Friday everyone. August is finally here!

:: palpitations::
Emory - acknowledgment of receipt of application email. Will email in early August if selected for interview.

Hey! first congrats for all your interviews. Would you mind sharing your credentials?
I'm a AMG, has a Ph.D. degree from one of the top cancer centers (not among the list that has sent out interview invites so far). My residency program is among the top 10 programs nationally. I have had 2 first-author research papers published in prestigious journals and a couple of non-first author pubs, and 3 oral presentations at prestigious conferences (during my graduate school yrs). Also had good step scores. hope that answers your question. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

congrats to deserving candidates. I got Emory email too..I first thought finally I have an interview..until I read the details :) oh well!