*Official June 2016 MCAT Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aalamruad

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there everyone! Figured I'd start this thread since I recently started preparing for the June 18th MCAT. For those of you who are taking the June 2nd MCAT, June 18th MCAT, or still considering one of those two dates, feel free to post here with any questions, comments, concerns, or support you have to offer!

Good luck to you all! Let's crush it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey!

First...Congrats everyone on your scores and best of luck throughout the rest of the cycle!

I have been lurking on this forum for quite a while and I would just like to say that you guys are an amazing team.. I am at a point where I can definitely use some of your greatness!

So....Last year I got a 495 and this year I got a 502 (June 18th) and I am close to giving up. The chem section killed me (123) and my avg for that section is 127...But I expected that considering how hellish it was.
Anywho, I have already submitted my application bc I really didn't expect it to be this mediocre. I am signing up for a retake before I give up fully. Any advice/tips on what to do for the next month would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey!

First...Congrats everyone on your scores and best of luck throughout the rest of the cycle!

I have been lurking on this forum for quite a while and I would just like to say that you guys are an amazing team.. I am at a point where I can definitely use some of your greatness!

So....Last year I got a 495 and this year I got a 502 (June 18th) and I am close to giving up. The chem section killed me (123) and my avg for that section is 127...But I expected that considering how hellish it was.
Anywho, I have already submitted my application bc I really didn't expect it to be this mediocre. I am signing up for a retake before I give up fully. Any advice/tips on what to do for the next month would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

What were your practice tests scores like?

Congrats on the scores!! I'm so happy to see so many of you did SO well. To those of you that didn't score around your goal score.. don't be too discouraged. I didn't the first time around and I still might not this time around, but a few years from now everything will make sense. I'll probably stay away from sdn until my test this friday. I just wanted to see your guys' scores and some of them give me hope that I will have some of your luck on test day!

504---127/123/126/128

CARRRSSSSSSS, why have you cursed me?! I'm extremely happy that I went from a 23 last year to a 28 this year though. Might look like a Master's program in the spring and retake for me, which is fine. Gotta keep L-I-V-I-N'
Scored: 503
Unscored: 509
EK 1-4: 503 to 506

What percentages did you get for your EK exams?

First MCAT: 26 (2014) 9/9/8 or some crap, didn't study smart at all
Second MCAT: 504 (129/125/127/123) in 2015 (equivalent to 28), curse you psych

6/18 MCAT: 511 (131/126/129/125) *equivalent to 33, curse you psych yet again
You guys think this will hold me back? Or the fact that I have 3 retakes?

Guys this has been such a long long long journey for me. Over the past 2 years, I've had breakdowns and frustrations over an exam that I made out to be much more significant than I really should have but we all know how important an exam like this is for medical school. We just took the hardest standardized test ever made. ever. I hope you guys know that when you see your score. If there's anyone that's been through the frustrations of this test, it's me. It's made me go to hell and back and I've had to manage so much along with it. If you're feeling bummed about your test, please realize that you might need more a little bit more time to do well and keep your head up through the water. Keep treading and please feel free to PM me with any concerns or frustrations. I'd like to help out.

There's people on the 2014 threads when I first started studying, the 2015 when I was doing it again, and all of you from 2016. Obviously way too many to tag but please remember that you guys mean a lot to me.

As long as you spin your story to show growth you can make your narrative strong. Plus your scores back that up. I took the test 4 times(25, 25,(both in undergrad when I was dumb and naive), 507, 515) to get to where I believed I could score, and I know some of the old tests are crappy, but my story is that I'm not the same student I was a few years ago and that I've matured. It's obvious you've done the same so make your story show that! Congrats again!

Reactions: 1 user
516 overall on the June 18 test.
Chem/Phys - 131
CARS - 127
Bio/Biochem - 132
Psych/Soc - 126

518 on the AAMC Practice Scored

Pretty happy considering I was around this range on the practice tests. I used EK to study and took EK full-lengths as well as some Kaplan full lengths. I'm a bit concerned about the unbalanced score, especially on Psych/Soc. If I'm trying to apply to some tier 1 schools do you think they'll screen me out based on my lower psych or CARS scores?

Members don't see this ad :)
514: 128/127/130/129

I'm definitely relieved and feel like I can finally breathe!! I was really hoping that I would get lucky and pull off a 520. I'm still very grateful!

Time to submit all of these secondaries :/

516 overall on the June 18 test.
Chem/Phys - 131
CARS - 127
Bio/Biochem - 132
Psych/Soc - 126
1) you have to look at their metrics and compare to your GPA
2) I hope this wasn't a troll as you are in company with people who may likewise by applying to tier 1 with a lower score

I cannot imagine any individual saying you should retake a 516 because the law of diminishing returns holds.

As long as you spin your story to show growth you can make your narrative strong. Plus your scores back that up. I took the test 4 times(25, 25,(both in undergrad when I was dumb and naive), 507, 515) to get to where I believed I could score, and I know some of the old tests are crappy, but my story is that I'm not the same student I was a few years ago and that I've matured. It's obvious you've done the same so make your story show that! Congrats again!

So you don't think this will hold me back in MD admissions yeah? Because I 100% agree with you. I am nowhere near the same person, physically, mentally, or emotionally as I was when I first started this game.

Do you guys think I should retake?
509 (127/124/128/130) cGPA: 3.87 and science GPA shouldn't be too far from that. Really worried about CARS.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Do you have a state school with good in state preference? I'd lean toward not retaking unless you are positive that 124 would screen you out. I'm not sure it would though, with your gpa and overall score

509- 125/130/125/129 are the 125 in the sciences acceptable? I'm aiming for midtier schools and applying DO too

Hi! I took all 4 EK exams and scored between 60-68% on all of them. To give you an idea of how hard the CARS is on EK- I was scoring 58% on it in EK and got 130 on the real thing.
NS1- 515
Real-512 (Can't stop saying it- my new favourite number) EEk.

~five-twelve crew~

Section banks - for those of you who just got your scores and are above 510, did you go through the SBs more than once?

I reviewed all of it very slowly, made copious notes on anything I got wrong, then made duplicate graphs and charts to mimic the stuff I was seeing (right or wrong)...

Is it worth it to go through them again? T-17

Section banks - for those of you who just got your scores and are above 510, did you go through the SBs more than once?

I reviewed all of it very slowly, made copious notes on anything I got wrong, then made duplicate graphs and charts to mimic the stuff I was seeing (right or wrong)...

Is it worth it to go through them again? T-17
I only got 513 but this is what I did:

Went through 2x each. Wrotr a notecard on every vocab/concept i didnt understand both on my answer and all answer options.

So you don't think this will hold me back in MD admissions yeah? Because I 100% agree with you. I am nowhere near the same person, physically, mentally, or emotionally as I was when I first started this game.

Idk. I'm not on admissions so I don't know what's going on in their mind. Im sure taking multiple times to hit your target score isn't ideal, but I think the improvement in scores helps. Maybe it holds you back and maybe it doesn't but all we can do is get our ducks in a row as best we can and keep our fingers crossed. I've seen posts where people took the test multiple times and got in allo so don't fret too much. Enjoy the night and celebrate your score!

i am serious though, does anyone else think AAMC made a scoring mistake? I dont understand how I got my score..

If they made a mistake (which is almost certainly not the case), then you would want to just stay below the radar, anyways.
Maybe you just become an intellectual beast when the pressure's on...roll with it! Congrats!

AAMC unscored: 516
Scored: 518

So i thought I would get somewhere around there tbh

That jump isn't out of the ordinary it just means that you handle the testing conditions better than most people that took the test (which is why you would be bumped up relative to them).
Enjoy it! My gaps were similar but slightly smaller...Unscored was 4 below and scored was 2 below my real score.

I think I cried a little (out of happiness and blessed relief).
131/129/131/127
I'm a tiny bit upset about Psych/Soc since I always do well on that section on the practice tests. On the other hand, I always score the lowest on Phys/Chem (less than 70% on EK FL) so the 131 is ridiculously surprising. I guessed on 4-5 questions without reading them because I was running out of time! And this doesn't include questions I did read and guessed on. I thought I bombed that section!
AAMC score - 520 (129/131/130/130)
Unscored - ~80% (Can't remember exactly).

0.5% of me is a bummed out that I didn't get that 520 from my practice test, but 99.5% of me is beyond ecstatic.

I received my scores today and got a 516 overall (95th percentile). I'm a little worried about my score breakdown.

Chem - 129 (93rd) CARS - 125 (62nd) Bio - 131 (99th) Psych - 131 (99th)

The percentile for my CARS is about a 9 on the old verbal. I'm surprised I did so well on the other sections but the verbal seems anomalous. I'm genuinely wondering if I should retake the exam. I was hoping to include a few top schools in my list like Northwestern and UChicago but not sure if it makes sense now. Otherwise, I'm thinking of UIC, Loyola, SLU, and a some DO, probably Midwestern.

That jump isn't out of the ordinary it just means that you handle the testing conditions better than most people that took the test (which is why you would be bumped up relative to them).
Enjoy it! My gaps were similar but slightly smaller...Unscored was 4 below and scored was 2 below my real score.

Thanks Jesie!! I guess what you said makes sense because I did take the old mcat once before and I didn't do so well. I had a 30 (12,7,11) so I wanted to retake it. I guess it paid off. Well, I guess I am going to go enjoy a chipotle burrito now lol

If anyone is curious, my breakdown was 522 (132 , 127 , 132 , 131)

I know several friends who are now med students or residents who had to take the test 3+ times. Your GPA is great and your mcat is also awesome. You've got this! Time to accept that you've got a great chance at being an MD and your hard work paid off. :)

Thank you so much, that's great to hear!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Do you have a state school with good in state preference? I'd lean toward not retaking unless you are positive that 124 would screen you out. I'm not sure it would though, with your gpa and overall score
would a 122 screen you out? I got a 508
131/122/130/125

A 124 CARS is like 7 on the old MCAT, so target schools who go down that low in %iles. Your state school will be the most lenient with you.

Do you guys think I should retake?
509 (127/124/128/130) cGPA: 3.87 and science GPA shouldn't be too far from that. Really worried about CARS.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Im going to have to retake it. But man all September test dates are filled for California. I don't know how I'm going to start studying. Any recommendations? Books, tests, etc?

Im going to have to retake it. But man all September test dates are filled for California. I don't know how I'm going to start studying. Any recommendations? Books, tests, etc?

Check the 509+ strategies thread, but also if you are really trying to get a MCAT in September, then it wouldn't cost much more than the cost of the test itself to fly yourself out somewhere to take it there...I had a friend fly from where we live in Colorado out to Kansas for hers...