Ohio Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got a call from a 614 number. I had a mild heart attack, panicked, and didn't answer. They left a message, I listened...and it was from the bookstore, letting me know that the textbook I ordered THE FIRST WEEK OF SCHOOL is now in. Thanks a lot, jerks. Doesn't really help me now, does it?

Members don't see this ad.

Drat! How nerve-wracking, EllieG! I was excited for you when I read the first few words of your post. Dang it!

Bleh, I know. And what's worse is there was no invite in my email today, meaning I have to wait all. weekend. before I can start to worry again on Monday =(

Members don't see this ad :)
Bleh, I know. And what's worse is there was no invite in my email today, meaning I have to wait all. weekend. before I can start to worry again on Monday =(

Ditto THIS. I'm hoping that the next batch goes out on Wednesday again, since that's when last week's invites went out.

That way at least I don't have to worry about it until Wednesday! :laugh:

Ditto THIS. I'm hoping that the next batch goes out on Wednesday again, since that's when last week's invites went out.

That way at least I don't have to worry about it until Wednesday! :laugh:

That's the spirit! You guys are going to hear some good news soon.

The interview link worked for me today, thank goodness, so it must have been the holiday that was messing it up. I got a morning interview time. Yay! Now I have to decide whether to drive or fly. Both are going to be expensive coming from Colorado.

That's the spirit! You guys are going to hear some good news soon.

The interview link worked for me today, thank goodness, so it must have been the holiday that was messing it up. I got a morning interview time. Yay! Now I have to decide whether to drive or fly. Both are going to be expensive coming from Colorado.

Fly. Just comparing the cost of gas vs. flying, you probably break even. And thats ignoring the 20+ hours of driving you would have to do each way and nights in hotels while on the road. Flying you can at least relax.

Fly. Just comparing the cost of gas vs. flying, you probably break even. And thats ignoring the 20+ hours of driving you would have to do each way and nights in hotels while on the road. Flying you can at least relax.

Until you get fondled by the TSA!

Actually, driving is a lot more relaxing for me. And it saves me rental car charges (because I want to spend a day or two checking out the area). But I'll have to make a list of charges to compare the two modes of transport. If it's a wash, I'll definitely drive.

Will any of you SDN vet students be in town to meet for breakfast or lunch on Saturday, Dec 18th, or is everybody heading out of town?

Actually, driving is a lot more relaxing for me. And it saves me rental car charges (because I want to spend a day or two checking out the area). But I'll have to make a list of charges to compare the two modes of transport. If it's a wash, I'll definitely drive.

Will any of you SDN vet students be in town to meet for breakfast or lunch on Saturday, Dec 18th, or is everybody heading out of town?

Hey, I will meet you for breakfast if you want on Dec. 18th. I will take you to Buckeye Donuts. It's a little hole in the wall and it's SO cheap but it's outrageously delicious. You can get a big bacon, egg, and cheese bagel and a basket of tator tots for $4. Plus there is a huge selection of amazing donuts. It's heaven. Depending on if I get an interview or not, and if I do, depending on my choices of dates, I may or may not already be in town. But my parents' house is only 1.5 hours away from campus so it wouldn't be a big deal for me to drive down for the day to hang out.

don't forgot about the possibility of snow... the entire east coast/mid atlantic states got hammered with a huge storm the weekend I interviewed at ohio last year. even though i was stranded for a few days due to canceled flights, i would've been stranded for a lot longer (= $$$ for a hotel) had I driven! just something to consider.

don't forgot about the possibility of snow... the entire east coast/mid atlantic states got hammered with a huge storm the weekend I interviewed at ohio last year....

Point taken.

I'll pack lots of blankets! :scared:

Hey, I will meet you for breakfast if you want on Dec. 18th.

I figured I'd see you, EllieG, if you were in town. I sure wouldn't ask you to drive a 3 hour round trip just to meet up though. I'm not worth that kind of sacrifice! ;)
Was hoping we might get to meet up with some current vet students from SDN so we could get the real dirt!

I'm actually a bit worried about the housing situation. Ideally, I need a single family home, and when I looked on craig's list, there wasn't a single one listed. I'm hoping that means that houses are listed somewhere else (the local papers, through a realtor, etc). I find it hard to believe that there are only apartments and townhomes for rent in all of Columbus.

And, I'm learning from the City-Data forum that there are a lot of really seedy areas in Columbus. E.g. don't live east of Summit, or near Weinland Park. Sounds like from Short North heading west is the best bet.

It is conceivable that I could get accepted to Ohio State, and then not be able to attend because I can't find proper housing. That would really be a bummer!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can we....not talk about snow? We got FOUR inches here east of Cleveland about a week or two ago. I was actually up at Tufts last year for the snowstorm (part 2) and we were all scrambling to get out before it hit.

If I get an interview (pleasepleasepleaseplease) I will gladly meet up with people! I'm just up the road in Cleveland anyhow. ;) I don't know Columbus very well, other than driving through and going down for Equine Affaire, so I'd love to hang out with others and explore!

LivestockDoc, there are livable areas, and you will be able to find something. It may take a little more time than in some cities, I will admit.

LivestockDoc, there are livable areas, and you will be able to find something. It may take a little more time than in some cities, I will admit.

That's just it. Coming from OOS, I won't have time. I'd have to come out and find something during Spring Break in March, and if I didn't find a house during that week, no Ohio State for me. I can't camp out in a hotel indefinitely with 3 pets and a 3 bedroom household of stuff waiting in storage. Too expensive!

Hopefully I can gather some useful info when I'm there in December. :xf:

And, I'm learning from the City-Data forum that there are a lot of really seedy areas in Columbus. E.g. don't live east of Summit, or near Weinland Park. Sounds like from Short North heading west is the best bet.

:laugh:

I live east of Summit. Actually even farther, I live east of 4th. My part of the street (E. 13th Ave.) actually backs right up to the Ohio State Expo Center (where Equine Affaire s held).

I've never been "scared" here. There's nothing wrong with east of Summit as long as you aren't too far south. Like, I would NOT live east of Summit if I were lined up with the Short North--i.e. Chittenden Ave., 11th Ave., 10th Ave., 9th Ave., etc. 13th is probably as far east as I'd go-there's still a TON of college students out this way-like there's mostly college students on my part of the street. If you go even further north, like 15th, 16th, 17th, etc., you're totally fine east of Summit. Not to mention that the college bus system has a route that goes from central campus, all the way to the Short North, then goes from E. 11th Ave. and N. 4th St. all the way up to Hudson St. and then goes all the way back down that way via Summit St. and back to central campus. So that is a super convenient and safe way to travel, especially because you can transfer buses on campus and get on one that will drop you off at Ag Campus, which is where the vet school is located.

Most of the time people won't bother you, especially if you're smart about it. I very very rarely walk home alone at night, in fact I rarely walk around at night at all. Keep your house and car locked, always be aware of your surroundings, don't "act" like a victim, that sort of thing. I've never had a problem, and neither has my roommate who engages in decidedly more risky behaviors than I do. That being said, there ARE areas (such as the intersection of 8th Ave. and N. 4th St.) where I would probably never walk, even in broad daylight. THOSE are the more seedy areas, not the areas where there are an abundance of college kids.

However, the areas you mentioned are really nice. West of High is a pretty nice place to live, that's around Victorian Village and there are some beautiful houses there. If you're east of High, the closer you are to High Street the more expensive it's going to be. Also, the more rowdy college kids you'll encounter and the louder it will be on party nights. I like where I live because it's quiet, but it's not too far to go to a party if I want.

I'm not sure how easy of a time you'll have finding a single family home around here...A lot of the houses have 4+ (often up to 6 or 7) bedrooms and are meant for several college students to live in them. Is there a reason you don't want an apartment or a townhouse? There are some REALLY nice ones around here. My apartment is a 2 bedroom, 1 bath and I live here with my girlfriend, our roommate, and our dog quite comfortably, so it isn't terribly small. And it's nice, remodeled within the last two years. And cheap. Cherie and I may or may not be moving into our own apartment closer to High Street if I get accepted.

If you really have your heart set on a single-family house, you might want to look more towards the surrounding neighborhoods like Clintonville. It's close to campus but I'd recommend you have a car because the campus buses don't go over there and it's a pretty good hike by foot. Again though, I'd be glad to show you around when you come down.

Sorry for the novel, hoped that helped a little.

There are plenty of single family houses heading up Kenny Road northwest of campus. The neighborhoods are generally pretty nice. And not a lot of undergrads up in this area, so the places are generally pretty quiet. Prices are pretty reasonable and you're still only 5-15 minutes from campus(by car).

For those of you with access to the Ohio portal (I still haven't received my login info), does it show your gpa?

I'm thinking that if it does I should call again tomorrow to try to get my login info sent to me so I can check that my gpa is correct.

That's just it. Coming from OOS, I won't have time. I'd have to come out and find something during Spring Break in March, and if I didn't find a house during that week, no Ohio State for me. I can't camp out in a hotel indefinitely with 3 pets and a 3 bedroom household of stuff waiting in storage. Too expensive!

Hopefully I can gather some useful info when I'm there in December. :xf:

Accepted students are sent a link to the incoming class page, which has all sorts of resources. This includes a list of places where vet students like to live along with a "roommate wanted" sort of page. My advice would be, once you get accepted, to look at these links and figure out the places you'd like to look at. Call them and get rent quotes, utilities quotes, pet deposit quotes, etc. Then figure out when you can get out here to look at places. I narrowed it down to four communities (two apartment complexes, two apartment/townhouse complexes) and managed to visit all four in one afternoon.

I'm not from Ohio, so I was very surprised by Columbus. Yes, there are skeezy areas. It's a city, so really, it's to be expected. But there are also some really beautiful places around here. Upper Arlington is really nice, as are parts of Hilliard. It's all a matter of what you are willing to pay and how far you are willing to be from campus.

Thanks, everybody, for the info. That gives me some hope! I'm looking forward to checking it out a bit next month (and more intensively later, after I get my acceptance :p. Trying to think positively here!)

EllieG, I'm looking for a single family because
a) I have a house full of stuff (altho' the cost of storage in Ohio is a lot cheaper than in Colorado, so that may be an option)
b) I want a garage
c) I want my dogs to be able to go out to a fenced yard at will since I'll be at school for such long periods
d) I have a cat who goes outside, and I want him to be safe
e) I don't want to live near undergraduate college students.

Here in Fort Collins, housing that matches all of the above is really easy to find. I guess I got spoiled! :oops:

I'll definitely check out the area David mentioned, as well as further out. I've heard the campus parking is decent for vet students, so I have no problem commuting 20 minutes to school.

For those of you with access to the Ohio portal (I still haven't received my login info), does it show your gpa?

I'm thinking that if it does I should call again tomorrow to try to get my login info sent to me so I can check that my gpa is correct.
Is our status supposed to change from In Review to something about it being forwarded to the veterinary school for admissiosn consideration?? or for those of you who have already gotten interview invites, does your status still just say In Review?

Is our status supposed to change from In Review to something about it being forwarded to the veterinary school for admissiosn consideration?? or for those of you who have already gotten interview invites, does your status still just say In Review?
I just got my interview invite today and I just checked the status page. My status is still listed as in review and then if you click further it says that my application has been forwarded to the college of veterinary medicine for consideration (or something like that). Is anyone going to interview on Friday Dec. 10th? My interview is in the morning and I'd love to encounter another SDN-er. Crossing my fingers for lots more interview invites this week!:xf:

I don't know if the paranoia has set in or not, but the status of my application has gone from "In Review" to "Your application is currently in the process of being evaluated and prepared for an academic decision." My heart sank because the last time I saw that, I was rejected. *sigh* Don't know how many more times I can beat myself up over applying.... Just gets so frustrating that I work my behind off yet can't seem to get any admissions board to see that.

Trying to stay positive....

I don't know if the paranoia has set in or not, but the status of my application has gone from "In Review" to "Your application is currently in the process of being evaluated and prepared for an academic decision." My heart sank because the last time I saw that, I was rejected. *sigh* Don't know how many more times I can beat myself up over applying.... Just gets so frustrating that I work my behind off yet can't seem to get any admissions board to see that.

Trying to stay positive....

I know that this is impossible advice to follow, but if you can, stop checking your status. Personally, "in review" and "being evaluated and prepared for an academic decision" sound exactly the same to me, and I saw both on my status page. There's no magical code to crack, and you can beat your head against a wall trying to decipher all the different status updates, but until you hear that you have definitively been offered an interview or not (or been accepted or rejected), the only thing that stalking that page will do is give you gray hair.

It's one of the reasons I'm really glad I didn't discover SDN until I was already in the middle of interview. I wasn't on here during this waiting period, freaking out because other people were getting interviews and I wasn't.

Just try to relax as much as you can.

I just got my interview invite today and I just checked the status page. My status is still listed as in review and then if you click further it says that my application has been forwarded to the college of veterinary medicine for consideration (or something like that). Is anyone going to interview on Friday Dec. 10th? My interview is in the morning and I'd love to encounter another SDN-er. Crossing my fingers for lots more interview invites this week!:xf:

Hey, maybe we will meet then! I'll be interviewing that same morning! We should perhaps discuss this a little closer to the time, but I'd love to meet up with someone since I will most likely be traveling alone.

Congrats, and hang tight everyone else!:xf:

Hey, maybe we will meet then! I'll be interviewing that same morning! We should perhaps discuss this a little closer to the time, but I'd love to meet up with someone since I will most likely be traveling alone.

Congrats, and hang tight everyone else!:xf:
That would be great! I'll probably be a nervous wreck. I think we're going to drive to Columbus instead of trying to find me a flight that will probably take just as long. It's only about a 6 hour drive from where I am going to school in central PA.

That would be great! I'll probably be a nervous wreck. I think we're going to drive to Columbus instead of trying to find me a flight that will probably take just as long. It's only about a 6 hour drive from where I am going to school in central PA.

Unlike my fellow Coloradan LivestockDoc, I am not even considering driving:p. As is, I am going to have to miss a least Friday at work which is not great since the next week is finals for my students. But I figured that was better than missing days the week of their finals! I have to look for flights tonight, but I am hoping to get a late enough flight Thursday to not have to miss Thursday too!

This is getting so real! What is not real yet is my suit though...

Count me in on that one...I'm getting discouraged :-/

Ditto. I'm trying to convince myself it's OK, especially since all the invites that I've seen so far have been for OOS applicants (and don't none of you burst my bubble on that!). And it's still early! Hang in there. We've still got hope!

whyevernot i'm hoping the same thing.. I'm guessing you are IS for OSU as well. good luck!

Hey guys! I am a first year at OSU and also went to OSU for undergrad. I can tell alot of people are getting discouraged. Last year I got my interview invite on Nov 18th. If the 2015 class is any similar to the way it was done last year I can tell you this:

-OOS tend to get interview invites earlier and faster, but there aren't as many given out
-a very HIGH percentage of in-state applicants are invited to interview if you meet or surpass the minimal qualifications.
-Around 300 in staters were invited to interview for 100 spots

-Don't get too discouraged just yet- there will be a huge wave of invites that seem to come out of nowhere

If anyone has any questions just let me know- we have a nice 2.5 week break until finals.

-OOS tend to get interview invites earlier and faster, but there aren't as many given out

This should be taken with a grain of salt. I'm OOS, and while I can't remember exactly when I got my interview, I DO remember bolting upright in bed the night of Nov 15 and thinking, "OHMYGOD IT'S HALFWAY THROUGH THE INVITE MONTH AND I STILL HAVEN'T HEARD!!" I think I wound up getting an invite about a week later. So don't freak out just yet!

...I DO remember bolting upright in bed the night of Nov 15 and thinking, "OHMYGOD IT'S HALFWAY THROUGH THE INVITE MONTH AND I STILL HAVEN'T HEARD!!"

So this bolting-upright-in-bed-in-the-middle-of-the-night thing fretting about vet school interview invites is normal? That makes me feel much better! :laugh:

And, not to burst some bubbles, but there were a few IS invites. 4 that I know of for sure, 1 that I heard but it was heresay so I'm not certain. I am just closing my eyes and keeping my fingers crossed.

And, not to burst some bubbles, but there were a few IS invites. 4 that I know of for sure, 1 that I heard but it was heresay so I'm not certain. I am just closing my eyes and keeping my fingers crossed.
Yep, I also know an IS applicant who received an interview.

-a very HIGH percentage of in-state applicants are invited to interview if you meet or surpass the minimal qualifications.

I know after talking with a lot of through faculty in one of the depts. on the vet campus at OSU, they had switched around the admissions process from years prior (began implementing it last year) and were not happy about the outcome of their adjustments. I heard from a reputable source that criteria this year were being reviewed and potentially would be changed. I'm trying to ignore everything and not let this consume my every thought (stupid spam emails get me excited every time my Droid makes a noise....and I know my bf is tired of my obsession with getting the mail).

To say I'm freaking out is an understatement. I have done all I can and this is application #3 for me. Don't know how many more times I can handle hearing that I'm not good enough for my dreams. *sigh* Keeping my chin up though. Can't give up hope. :xf:

I know after talking with a lot of through faculty in one of the depts. on the vet campus at OSU, they had switched around the admissions process from years prior (began implementing it last year) and were not happy about the outcome of their adjustments. I heard from a reputable source that criteria this year were being reviewed and potentially would be changed. I'm trying to ignore everything and not let this consume my every thought (stupid spam emails get me excited every time my Droid makes a noise....and I know my bf is tired of my obsession with getting the mail).

To say I'm freaking out is an understatement. I have done all I can and this is application #3 for me. Don't know how many more times I can handle hearing that I'm not good enough for my dreams. *sigh* Keeping my chin up though. Can't give up hope. :xf:

This is quite cryptic and leaves me with a lot of questions. Are they still sending out invites? What's going on? I'm already losing sleep over this :(

This is quite cryptic and leaves me with a lot of questions. Are they still sending out invites? What's going on? I'm already losing sleep over this :(

They still are doing invites and interviews its just the process of ranking and when they are sent out may not be the same as before.

Hang in there, you guys! Don't freak out yet. I'm betting invites will still be going out over the next couple of weeks. Please don't lose hope! :xf:

I'm trying so hard not to freak out, but I'm seriously giving myself an ulcer. After I sent in my app I was fairly confident that I would at least get an interview, and now my hope is dwindling with each day that passes without an invite in my inbox. :scared: Every day that passes is another day closer to interviews and seems like a little less likely that I'll be one of the lucky ones. Ughhhh I hate this.

I'm trying so hard not to freak out, but I'm seriously giving myself an ulcer. After I sent in my app I was fairly confident that I would at least get an interview, and now my hope is dwindling with each day that passes without an invite in my inbox. :scared: Every day that passes is another day closer to interviews and seems like a little less likely that I'll be one of the lucky ones. Ughhhh I hate this.

I agree Ellie G. I'm getting a little discouraged myself. Good luck though.. there is still time. (although you are my competition, being an IS applicant, i hope you get in!)

I agree Ellie G. I'm getting a little discouraged myself. Good luck though.. there is still time. (although you are my competition, being an IS applicant, i hope you get in!)

Yes, but we have to stick together! ;) Especially since we're all discouraged at the moment.

I just wish I knew either way. It's being in limbo that's killing me. Every morning I was up excited, because it's another day during which I might get that email...and then by like 3 I've given up hope and it's more worry until the following morning when it starts all over again. I really hope we all get invites, and even more than that I hope we're classmates this time next year!

Although the Blackwell Hotel looks wonderful, I'll be staying for 3 nights next month when I go to C-bus to interview, and $100+ per night is awfully pricey. Any other clean hotels somewhere near the uni that might be a little cheaper? Even if you don't know rates, if you could tell me the name/s, i can look them up to see if they might be cheaper.

Although the Blackwell Hotel looks wonderful, I'll be staying for 3 nights next month when I go to C-bus to interview, and $100+ per night is awfully pricey. Any other clean hotels somewhere near the uni that might be a little cheaper? Even if you don't know rates, if you could tell me the name/s, i can look them up to see if they might be cheaper.

Yeah... the blackwell is rather pricey. There are hotels north of campus on Olentangy river road (i think a holiday inn) that are decent. All I have to say to visitors to Columbus- check your hotel room for bed bugs before you bring your luggage in. Ohio is having a huge problem with them. Best of luck!