Ohio Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yep, there are a couple on Olentangy River Rd. That would be northwest of campus, and there's also a little Holiday Inn Express southwest of campus on E. Hudson St. that's a nice little hotel. I've had friends and family stay there before and they've been happy with it.

Members don't see this ad.

Okay you in-staters!! My email came today!! Interview invites are still alive and well! Mine came at 9:45 this morning. Don't give up hope, I hope you all get invites! :xf:

Okay you in-staters!! My email came today!! Interview invites are still alive and well! Mine came at 9:45 this morning. Don't give up hope, I hope you all get invites! :xf:

I'm excited for you but my heart sank a little. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm excited for you but my heart sank a little. Good luck.

Please don't give up hope! There were 7 or 8 interview days on the sign up page and only 3 of them were full, so there are still plenty left! I'm sure they have lots more emails to send out!

Elliegirl I posted in the interview thread but congrats again!!!!!! I was hoping for you!

Thank you so much =) I can hardly believe it's real. The more I think about it, the more nervous I get...I have less than a month to prepare!

Although the Blackwell Hotel looks wonderful, I'll be staying for 3 nights next month when I go to C-bus to interview, and $100+ per night is awfully pricey. Any other clean hotels somewhere near the uni that might be a little cheaper? Even if you don't know rates, if you could tell me the name/s, i can look them up to see if they might be cheaper.

You could contact the school and ask if there are any students who would be willing to put up with you for a night or 2. We have gotten some emails asking for students to take up some interviewees for the night, so maybe that can cut your costs, even if its just 1 or 2 nights, not all 3.

Congrats EllieG! I'm sure it is just a matter of time before more of you will hear.

But bedbugs? Seriously? I feel a little queezy now.:barf:

I am staying at the (one of the?) Holiday Inn. It isn't cheap either, but it was easy! I'm renting a car too so I can drive around and check out the town before flying out the next afternoon.

CONGRATS to ALL who got interviews so far!! :clap:
I'm jealous as hell, but am rooting for each and every one of you!!! Can't wait to hear about your acceptances in January!! It truly is a phone call to end all phone calls...

I was actually in the middle of demonstrating surgical prep technique to an applicant when she got her call last year. Needless to say, there was no sense in continuing with the lesson. Figured I would let her call everyone she knew with the good news. :D Hope you ALL enjoy throwing off someone's schedule!

CONGRATS to ALL who got interviews so far!! :clap:
I'm jealous as hell, but am rooting for each and every one of you!!! Can't wait to hear about your acceptances in January!! It truly is a phone call to end all phone calls...

I was actually in the middle of demonstrating surgical prep technique to an applicant when she got her call last year. Needless to say, there was no sense in continuing with the lesson. Figured I would let her call everyone she knew with the good news. :D Hope you ALL enjoy throwing off someone's schedule!

Yeah. Deffo best phone call EVER. Mmm, just remembering it makes me warm and fuzzy. Congrats to everyone with the interviews!

WAY TO GO, ELLIEG!! :clap:

So, are you still thinking of interviewing on the 17th, or are you going to do it another day?

WAY TO GO, ELLIEG!! :clap:

So, are you still thinking of interviewing on the 17th, or are you going to do it another day?

:oops:

Thanks Livestock Doc! By the way, I keep trying to come up with a nickname for you and the best I can do is LSD. Yeah. Not gonna work. lol

Anyway, I wanted to do the 17th but it was already full. So...I picked the 16th. I don't mind staying in Columbus an extra day at all (I can just stay in my apartment) so if you think you'll be up for it after your interview I could show you around some. If you want to come up with a list of stuff you'd like to see (a particular neighborhood, a type of restaurant, the bar/nightlife scene, etc.) I could come up with some sort of plan.

Members don't see this ad :)
:oops:

Thanks Livestock Doc! By the way, I keep trying to come up with a nickname for you and the best I can do is LSD. Yeah. Not gonna work. lol

Oh, I don't know. Hallucinations are kinda groovy, you know? Far out. ;)

...I don't mind staying in Columbus an extra day at all (I can just stay in my apartment) so if you think you'll be up for it after your interview I could show you around some...

Ah, shoot. I guess after the interview I'm going to their lectures/tours/etc, so I can't explore C-bus until Saturday. So, you head on home for your break. Maybe somebody else will still be in town. Or, when I have more time than I do at the moment, I'll ask you about some places to check out while I'm there. Thanks EllieG!

Woke up to my interview invite today!!! Wow, I have some travel plans to make now.

That's awesome, Squibby! Welcome to the club!

That would be the "OMG, I hope I don't screw up this interview" club. :eek:

Just when you thought your days of anxiety were over....

Congrats Squibby!

So is anyone else interviewing on the first day? I'm starting to regret choosing that date but the tickets are bought, my interview time confirmed, so there is no going back now! Just wish the suit I ordered online had fit right... now I have to actually go shopping in a store!

Thanks guys! What a great reception from the club. :D

My interview is in the morning on the 16th. Glad I will be able to relax for the rest of the day's activities.

Anyone else for the morning of the 16th?

Thanks guys! What a great reception from the club. :D

My interview is in the morning on the 16th. Glad I will be able to relax for the rest of the day's activities.

Anyone else for the morning of the 16th?

Eee! Mine is the morning of the 16th! 9:45 am!

Eee! Mine is the morning of the 16th! 9:45 am!

Cool. Looks like we are in session 2 together.

Hey, does anyone know approx. how many OOS vs. IS applicants Ohio interviews?

-OOS tend to get interview invites earlier and faster, but there aren't as many given out
-a very HIGH percentage of in-state applicants are invited to interview if you meet or surpass the minimal qualifications.
-Around 300 in staters were invited to interview for 100 spots

Nevermind.

Wow, looking at last year's stats it says 365 were interviewed. Does that mean that ~65 OOS were interviewed for the 48 OOS spots?

Cool. Looks like we are in session 2 together.

Hey, does anyone know approx. how many OOS vs. IS applicants Ohio interviews?

Unfortunately, no, but our speaker at our last Pre-Vet Club meeting who is on the adcomm said that once you have an interview as an in-stater your chances are approximately 1 in 2.5. So because they take approximately 90-100 in staters, I'd say maybe 225-250? Last year this would mean that they interviewed approximately 115-140 OOSers? There were about twice as many OOS applicants last year as IS, IIRC. The above numbers would mean that the vast majority of IS applicants got an interview. They interviewed a total of 365 applicants. Of course this is just going off last year, they could be doing things completely different this year.

Unfortunately, no, but our speaker at our last Pre-Vet Club meeting who is on the adcomm said that once you have an interview as an in-stater your chances are approximately 1 in 2.5. So because they take approximately 90-100 in staters, I'd say maybe 225-250? Last year this would mean that they interviewed approximately 115-140 OOSers? There were about twice as many OOS applicants last year as IS, IIRC. The above numbers would mean that the vast majority of IS applicants got an interview. They interviewed a total of 365 applicants. Of course this is just going off last year, they could be doing things completely different this year.

Make sense, but for our sake I'd rather think they interviewed closer to 300 IS like Buckeye1206 mentioned.

Oh, wait, you are IS. I guess then for my sake, not yours at all!

Make sense, but for our sake I'd rather think they interviewed closer to 300 IS like Buckeye1206 mentioned.

I am losing hope as the days go by. Trying to stay positive. I just am not looking forward to the questioning I will be getting over the holidays.... "are you in yet?" "when will you hear?" "do you think you will get in this year?" "what else can you do?" I love my family but 40 people asking the same questions over and over... *sigh*

Clearly if I was interviewed/scheduled to interview/accepted, they would know.

I am losing hope as the days go by. Trying to stay positive. I just am not looking forward to the questioning I will be getting over the holidays.... "are you in yet?" "when will you hear?" "do you think you will get in this year?" "what else can you do?" I love my family but 40 people asking the same questions over and over... *sigh*

I hear you! I just had my families thanksgiving last weekend and those were the ONLY questions I was asked. I am getting SUPER worried seeing as how we only have ONE more week to get invited to an interview. :(

This. And OSU is my IS. *cries*

Am currently WITH said family, enduring endless questioning.

This. And OSU is my IS. *cries*

Am currently WITH said family, enduring endless questioning.

yeah me too.. and i have the mind set that if i'm not getting an interview invite from my IS.. why would i get one from an oos schools

yeah me too.. and i have the mind set that if i'm not getting an interview invite from my IS.. why would i get one from an oos schools

Well, I have been rejected from my instate school twice (they don't interview, so I don't know if I would have gotten an interview), and now I have an interview from an OOS. Not to say that there aren't still some invites to go out, but it is not unheard of to get more love from an OOS school than an IS school. My fingers are crossed for you guys:xf::xf::xf:.

Well, I have been rejected from my instate school twice (they don't interview, so I don't know if I would have gotten an interview), and now I have an interview from an OOS. Not to say that there aren't still some invites to go out, but it is not unheard of to get more love from an OOS school than an IS school. My fingers are crossed for you guys:xf::xf::xf:.

Yeah... OSU is my IS.... I've been rejected by them twice before and am hoping third time Ian the charm...still can't give up hope with my OOS schools though...

well cheers to drinking all our sorrows away haha.. hope you all have a good thanksgiving!:D

Anybody hear anything? I'm still pulling for you guys!! :xf::xf::xf:

In other news, I've started counting down to my interview (TWENTY DAYS) and I'm starting to get SO nervous. I've been thinking about it a lot, and thinking about questions that might come up and pre-planning out some answers...but last night while I was thinking about it I had the sudden realization that not only will I have to come up with these answers in my interview but they will actually have to COME OUT OF MY MOUTH.

You guys, I sent myself into a full-blown panic just thinking about the fact that I'm actually going to have to articulate my responses to the questions during the interviews. I SO hope I don't blow this.

That being said, I don't know if any of you in-staters actually go to Ohio State right now for undergrad, but there is a veterinary school interview workshop on Wednesday from 6pm-8pm in the Animal Science building arena. I'll definitely be there!

That being said, I don't know if any of you in-staters actually go to Ohio State right now for undergrad, but there is a veterinary school interview workshop on Wednesday from 6pm-8pm in the Animal Science building arena. I'll definitely be there!

Hey, EllieG, come back and tell us OOS's the secrets. We need all the help we can get!

You guys, I sent myself into a full-blown panic just thinking about the fact that I'm actually going to have to articulate my responses to the questions during the interviews. I SO hope I don't blow this.

YES! Don't just think about your answers. Maybe write them out once so you get all your ideas down concretely on paper, then put those papers away, and say the responses aloud a few times! At least for me, it made a huuuge difference. Good luck!

and to those still waiting, there's always more interviews coming so don't feel discouraged yet. it's not even december!

Anybody hear anything? I'm still pulling for you guys!! :xf::xf::xf:

In other news, I've started counting down to my interview (TWENTY DAYS) and I'm starting to get SO nervous. I've been thinking about it a lot, and thinking about questions that might come up and pre-planning out some answers...but last night while I was thinking about it I had the sudden realization that not only will I have to come up with these answers in my interview but they will actually have to COME OUT OF MY MOUTH.

!

Uhh...I completely agree about the whole interview thing. I haven't heard anything back yet, but I have NO idea what to expect and I'm just hoping that my brain takes over and says smart things (if I do hear back)! After finals I pray that I can kind of figure more of this out.... Good luck!

Hey, EllieG, come back and tell us OOS's the secrets. We need all the help we can get!
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Yes! Please do share!

I printed off all the questions from the interview feedback section and my family has been randomly choosing questions to ask me... and insisting that I give a real answer and not act goofy while answering:p. It has actually been helpful!

Listen you guys...

I am SO not a planner. I mean it. When I give oral presentations or teach a class or whatever I pretty much just shoot from the hip, and go with whatever crosses my mind at the time. I might make some powerpoints or something or jot down a note or two in the time before the presentation when others are going (mostly mistakes I feel like the person made, or points I feel like they missed that could help me to think of better stuff to say), but in no way shape or form do I ever actually write down stuff to say, rehearse it or any such thing.

HOWEVER, for my interview, I actually planned a little and had a mock interview. Now, let's not go crazy here - I didn't write anything down or practice in front of a mirror or anything like that, but I did do the mock interview with a few professors, two of which had been on adcoms here before. I feel like that really helped me to get a sense of what I could fit into the time and what points I really wanted to get across to really sell myself. It wasn't perfect, but I did walk out of my interview feeling like I said almost everything I wanted to say.

So I just wanted to say even if you're not usually a planner, sometimes for things like this where you only have a limited amount of time to sell yourself and a lot is at stake, you should try to get in at least a little bit of practice in some way...

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

Has anyone on this thread interviewed at Ohio before? I'm a first time applicant and my interview is in the morning on the Dec 10th so I'm really nervous. I've scheduled a mock interview at my school's career services and have been practicing some answers to the common questions I know they will ask. I'm just not really sure what to expect. I saw that there was an earlier post about the general format of the day (which was helpful)- just wondering if there was someone who had recently interviewed. I'm kind of rambling so I'll stop now :)

Has anyone on this thread interviewed at Ohio before? I'm a first time applicant and my interview is in the morning on the Dec 10th so I'm really nervous. I've scheduled a mock interview at my school's career services and have been practicing some answers to the common questions I know they will ask. I'm just not really sure what to expect. I saw that there was an earlier post about the general format of the day (which was helpful)- just wondering if there was someone who had recently interviewed. I'm kind of rambling so I'll stop now :)

I interviewed there 3 years ago.... just be confident about your responses and don't say something unless you have a decent knowledge base about it- bs doesn't work and they will see right through you. I personally knew my interviewers so it wasn't nearly as stressful but I know some of the faculty take pleasure in drilling prospective students.

Trying to keep my chin up for an interview....

I am losing hope as the days go by. Trying to stay positive.

Ditto. :( Sadly given that interviews start next week :)xf: for each and every one of you!!) my 'positive' has pretty much run out...

Ditto. :( Sadly given that interviews start next week :)xf: for each and every one of you!!) my 'positive' has pretty much run out...

Likewise. Not that my stomach doesn't turn over every time I open my email.

Hey everyone,
I know none of you know me but first off I wanted to say thank you because I check this post regularly just to know that I am not alone on this stressful journey. I also wanted to say congrats to those who have heard back.

I too have been checking my email regularly and finally last week I called them and asked about the invites and they said that they still have 60-75 invites to send throughout this week ( Nov 29-Dec 3). I see that some are getting discouraged and it made me sad and so I figured I would finally register on this site to share this news with you all!

Hope you all get that e-mail soon!! :D

Hey everyone,
I know none of you know me but first off I wanted to say thank you because I check this post regularly just to know that I am not alone on this stressful journey. I also wanted to say congrats to those who have heard back.

I too have been checking my email regularly and finally last week I called them and asked about the invites and they said that they still have 60-75 invites to send throughout this week ( Nov 29-Dec 3). I see that some are getting discouraged and it made me sad and so I figured I would finally register on this site to share this news with you all!

You are more than welcome if you come bringing that kind of news! :laugh:

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the info!!! Very good to know

Hey everyone,

Thank you!!! Seriously, you've made my day a bit brighter. **hug** :)

I got an interview invite today and when I signed up for the interview, there were still 3 days that weren't filled up yet for interview slots!

I didn't think I would get an interview bc I am OOS and my GPA is pretty low.. so hang in there you guys! There's still hope!