Ohio Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sirbuckie: what date are you interviewing??

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed there 3 years ago.... just be confident about your responses and don't say something unless you have a decent knowledge base about it- bs doesn't work and they will see right through you. I personally knew my interviewers so it wasn't nearly as stressful but I know some of the faculty take pleasure in drilling prospective students.

Trying to keep my chin up for an interview....

Agreed 150%. If they ask you something that you don't know, be honest about it. Let them know that you don't know, "but I'd be interested in learning more about that."

To be honest, it's really hard to give a run-down of how the interview will go. I know someone who was asked a ton of technical questions and others who had straight-faced, stoney, mean interviewers. I had an amazing interview with friendly interviewers, and we talked about things that I was really interested in/passionate about, so it was more a conversation than an interrogation. As impossible as it sounds, just try to go in there confident. Make it a dialogue, don't sit there with your hands glued to the table or your knees (but don't start waving them in the air frantically either). Talk to them the way you would talk to anyone. They are human beings, whether their facial expressions seem human or not!

One piece of advice: know the difference between animal rights and animal welfare (or, if you don't, don't make something up). This came up in several of my interviews.

And now, I should probably study for finals! :thumbdown:

Has anyone heard back for interviews yet? No one in my immediate friend circle has, but rumors are starting to come of other people getting them... I know interviews are Dec 10-19 and that is ridiculously close... :scared:

ooops disregard this! my browser didnt load correctly and i missed all the people saying they did! congrats!! but now im that much more nervous...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
OMG!!! i just called admissions because i was freaking out since its the end of november and i guess they sent me an interview invite last monday but it went straight to spam or got lost somewhere along the way, so check ur spam guys!!!

I will definitely take lots of notes at the interview workshop on Wednesday and report back to you all. If those of you who interview on the earlier dates don't mind, would you post and let us know how it goes? What kinds of questions are being asked, if the interview was friendly or intense, that sort of thing? It would be greatly appreciated by those of us (me!) who are interviewing on one of the later days!

I will definitely take lots of notes at the interview workshop on Wednesday and report back to you all. If those of you who interview on the earlier dates don't mind, would you post and let us know how it goes? What kinds of questions are being asked, if the interview was friendly or intense, that sort of thing? It would be greatly appreciated by those of us (me!) who are interviewing on one of the later days!

I'm interviewing on Friday, Dec 10th and according to the e-mail they sent me my interview time is scheduled for 8:15 AM. I might be wrong, but I think I have the very first interview on the very first day. (I'm sure you'll all look like fantastic applicants after they meet me, haha) I'll definitely try and post notes as soon as I can for everyone else interviewing at a later date!

I'm interviewing on Friday, Dec 10th and according to the e-mail they sent me my interview time is scheduled for 8:15 AM. I might be wrong, but I think I have the very first interview on the very first day. (I'm sure you'll all look like fantastic applicants after they meet me, haha) I'll definitely try and post notes as soon as I can for everyone else interviewing at a later date!
gone2dogs and i will be there that same day and are also interviewing in the morning as well (although not as early as you!). maybe we'll meet! :hello:

Glad to see you all are starting to get interviews.

For my interview last year I was literally the first person interviewed and I had 2 interviewers. 1 was extremely nice and the other was very quiet and didn't have much to say. These interviewers know everyone is incredibly nervous and most try and relax you right off the bat. I only know of a couple people that were asked very technical questions but they expected it because of the way their application was.

If you say you did x, y, and z by yourself-be prepared to be asked about it. For me, I didn't have that much experience compared to other applicants and I knew that and didn't "bulk" it up on my application to make it seem so. So I was never grilled on specific technical questions-but I was prepared for them no less. The only real aspect of my experience that I was questioned over was the important of animal handling since most of my time in vet clinics were spent doing restraint.

The way I prepared for the interview was to go through the interview feedback section and answer every single question asked on a word doc. I am a pretty good speaker so just writing things down once and researching some facts on specific zoonotic diseases (BSE- know this!! and at least 2 other zoonoses) was all I really needed to do. (know prop 2 and all the issues surrounding Ohio's welfare standards, etc)

Some questions that everyone needs to be aware of before the interview that may not be obvious are: Know what the average starting salaries are for vets and the reality of being 150,000+ in debt. They want their applicants to know that the average vet doesn't make millions and will be in debt for a considerable amount of time. Be able to tell the interviewer how you will be financially supported and all other aspects of the realities of being in professional school. Know about One Health-OSU is very involved in this and is continuing to work with the med school. No matter if you aren't interested in certain aspects of vet med-DO NOT tell them this (people i know literally told the adcoms that they had no interest in large animal-not too smart). We are stressed almost everyday how we will change our minds on what track of vet med we want to pursue- so naturally the adcoms want someone who is willing to be open minded towards all aspects of vet med and is teachable. (other vet med jobs that aren't typically thought of-public health, military, research, etc)

That's all i can think of right now- message me if you have n e specific questions. Try and relax and good luck!!

I don't like to speak for other people, but I think in this case it's safe to say...Thank you so much from all of us for the tips, Buckeye!

Your ID still says pre-vet. Does that mean you're trying again this year, or are you in and just forgot to update?

You are very welcome. I am a first year at Ohio State this year and I love it. I just haven't updated it on here yet- Again if n e one has any specific questions just message me.:)

Yeah, what Buckeye says is definitely true. I don't remember many questions from my interview, but two that stick out in my mind are:

"How much debt does the average vet student graduate with? How long does it take to pay that off? What is the average starting salary of a veterinarian?"

and

"Name five things you can do with a DVM other than clinical practice."

Upon polling my classmates, these seemed to be very common questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you guys SO much-that's very helpful. I am getting more and more nervous by the day...16.5 more days and counting!

Hey guys,

I am trying to plan my trip and was wondering if any OSU undergrads knew which hotels or which area would be best to stay at. I am completely overwhelmed and know that Columbus is a big city and just want to stay relatively close to the interview location.

Any information would be helpful!! thanks

Hey guys,

I am trying to plan my trip and was wondering if any OSU undergrads knew which hotels or which area would be best to stay at. I am completely overwhelmed and know that Columbus is a big city and just want to stay relatively close to the interview location.

Any information would be helpful!! thanks

there is the Blackwell right on campus, hotels north on olentangy river road (near ackerman).... downtown isn't that far either. If you need advice for things to do or food, let me know.

there is the Blackwell right on campus, hotels north on olentangy river road (near ackerman).... downtown isn't that far either. If you need advice for things to do or food, let me know.

Thank you so much! I just booked my flight and will be getting in the AM on 12/14(the day before my interview) so I will have time to wander around and see the town so yeah any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I made a quick reservation at the Red Roof on Ackerman, just to ensure something while I did more research. Hope thats a decent place!

Thanks again for the info! :)

Thank you so much! I just booked my flight and will be getting in the AM on 12/14(the day before my interview) so I will have time to wander around and see the town so yeah any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I made a quick reservation at the Red Roof on Ackerman, just to ensure something while I did more research. Hope thats a decent place!

Thanks again for the info! :)

I don't know much about the Red Roof on Ackerman but that's a good area so that is probably a perfectly fine place to stay. The Blackwell is literally like 2 minute drive from the vet school, but it is mucho expensive from what I've heard.

Things to check out....hmm...you'll definitely want to check out the cool stuff on campus like the Oval, Mirror Lake, our new Union and the new Thompson Memorial Library (if the latter two are open during winter break, I'm not sure?). As for around Columbus, spend a little time checking stuff out on High Street. If you like chicken fingers check out Cane's Chicken. It's on High between E. 14th Ave and E. 15th Ave. DELICIOUS, and make sure you get Cane's Sauce.

If you head South on High you'll hit the Short North, with lots of cool bars and little shops. East of High Street is all residential. I would advise that if you are East of High street (going away from the school), not wander too far South (as in, much further South than E. 13th Ave or E. 12th Ave.). Stuff starts to get a little seedy after that, but if you're on High Street or west of it you're totally fine. Downtown is fun too, but it's a long walk, and if you're from Florida I'm not sure how much experience you have driving in the snow. There are buses but I've lived here for over a year and I still don't know how the city bus works so I'm not much help there!

Those are the things that come to me right now, I'll let you know if I think of more!

Things to check out....hmm...you'll definitely want to check out the cool stuff on campus like the Oval, Mirror Lake, our new Union and the new Thompson Memorial Library (if the latter two are open during winter break, I'm not sure?). As for around Columbus, spend a little time checking stuff out on High Street. If you like chicken fingers check out Cane's Chicken. It's on High between E. 14th Ave and E. 15th Ave. DELICIOUS, and make sure you get Cane's Sauce.

If you head South on High you'll hit the Short North, with lots of cool bars and little shops. East of High Street is all residential. I would advise that if you are East of High street (going away from the school), not wander too far South (as in, much further South than E. 13th Ave or E. 12th Ave.). Stuff starts to get a little seedy after that, but if you're on High Street or west of it you're totally fine. Downtown is fun too, but it's a long walk, and if you're from Florida I'm not sure how much experience you have driving in the snow. There are buses but I've lived here for over a year and I still don't know how the city bus works so I'm not much help there!

I agree with the trying to avoid anything southeast of campus. Pretty rough area.

Brazenhead on 5th Avenue- amazing little pub. Great burgers.

Stauf's is my favorite coffee shop in the Columbus area (Cup o Joe gets their coffee from Stauf's).... it's on Grandview Avenue... a bit away from campus but well worth it if you're in the mood for a good cup of coffee.

There's a book store south of downtown that has 100 rooms of books. Pretty cool to go and get lost in there if you have a few hours to kill.

A must is definitely to check out the Union and the Library. They should be open during the day but probably not too late (and probably won't be open much on weekends).

There's a little baker and bistro west on High Street called Le Chatelaine.... great for pastries and such...

North Market is a great place to go if you have time to kill (it's near the convention center.... near downtown). So many unique foods and items from various regions.... great store.

If you're looking for great ice cream, Graeters is good. There's one on Lane Avenue (Near Le Chatelaine).

That's my personal "must stop" list.

I wish I were still living in Columbus so I could meet up with some of you that are coming in from out of town to show you around a bit. Columbus is a great city.

I agree with the trying to avoid anything southeast of campus. Pretty rough area.

Brazenhead on 5th Avenue- amazing little pub. Great burgers.

Stauf's is my favorite coffee shop in the Columbus area (Cup o Joe gets their coffee from Stauf's).... it's on Grandview Avenue... a bit away from campus but well worth it if you're in the mood for a good cup of coffee.

There's a book store south of downtown that has 100 rooms of books. Pretty cool to go and get lost in there if you have a few hours to kill.

A must is definitely to check out the Union and the Library. They should be open during the day but probably not too late (and probably won't be open much on weekends).

There's a little baker and bistro west on High Street called Le Chatelaine.... great for pastries and such...

North Market is a great place to go if you have time to kill (it's near the convention center.... near downtown). So many unique foods and items from various regions.... great store.

If you're looking for great ice cream, Graeters is good. There's one on Lane Avenue (Near Le Chatelaine).

That's my personal "must stop" list.

I wish I were still living in Columbus so I could meet up with some of you that are coming in from out of town to show you around a bit. Columbus is a great city.

K, so now I have a to-do list for the summer. Also, for good ice cream, check out Jenni's. There's more than one location, and their ice cream is really different (like salty caramel) but great!

K, so now I have a to-do list for the summer. Also, for good ice cream, check out Jenni's. There's more than one location, and their ice cream is really different (like salty caramel) but great!

Hands down if you are looking for good ice cream and you live in Columbus (or are willing to drive to Powell....) there is a place called Handel's.... It's a northeast Ohio chain but they are still my favorite (yes, even more-so than Jenni's)

Thank you all for all the information regarding these interviews! From the really difficult questions on the supplemental combined with what you just said I feel like I have a lot to research a bit. Crossing my fingers for an invite...it's crazy just sitting around and waiting! Does anyone know how many more interviews they're doing or when?

Congrats to everyone already with an interview!:D

But if you're at OSU for undergrad this may be helpful.
The prevet club is hosting a vet student panel tonight (I'll be there!!) at 7PM in the veterinary hospital auditorium.
Come with lots of questions! :)

P.S Best of luck to you all! In the words of K3... (path prof) "Better to be on the inside hanging on by your fingernails than on the outside looking in, right?"

But if you're at OSU for undergrad this may be helpful.
The prevet club is hosting a vet student panel tonight (I'll be there!!) at 7PM in the veterinary hospital auditorium.
Come with lots of questions! :)

P.S Best of luck to you all! In the words of K3... (path prof) "Better to be on the inside hanging on by your fingernails than on the outside looking in, right?"

I may or may not be a member of the Exec board of the group that put on that vet student panel tonight...;-)

I missed this meeting, unfortunately, because there was a (surprisingly sparsely attended) vet school interview workshop held in the Animal Science Building at the same time. But thank you and all the other vet students who came to talk and answer questions-I know it's VERY helpful to pre-vet students, especially the 1st and 2nd years who are very new to everything. I've been to three student panels myself.

And for those of you who I promised pointers from the workshop I went to--I actually took four pages of notes today at the workshop so I will condense those and focus on the really important parts and I will post a little something for you =) It was extremely, extremely helpful and made me feel a lot better about this whole process.

And for those of you who I promised pointers from the workshop I went to--I actually took four pages of notes today at the workshop so I will condense those and focus on the really important parts and I will post a little something for you =) It was extremely, extremely helpful and made me feel a lot better about this whole process.

Thanks! I am a little jealous that you are feeling better about the process... I most certainly am NOT feeling better, but more and more nervous! And tips you want to share will be greatly appreciated!:love:

I think this weekend I will be going over interview questions with my mentors, so hopefully that will help.

I think I am also stressed as this is a hard and stressful time at work and flying all over the country in the middle of it, missing work, and spending money I don't have are just snowballing into a huge freak out for me!

Guys, dont worry about interviews. I mean, worry enough to prepare, but don't go in there sweating bullets and crying once you leave. The interviewers are nice, there are students there all day to talk to, its a beautiful, up-to-date, large campus (well, large compared to other vet schools). It's a super fun day if you don't let it worry you, and this is coming from someone who had the SECOND TO LAST INTERVIEW of the day, so I could have been stressing all day....but I didn't. And you guys shouldn't either. Have fun, cuz that what interviewers are looking for- low stress people, or at least people who can manage stress.

I thought this might be helpful for a few of you that will need a rental car and want to try and avoid the stupid under 25 fee: http://www.hertz.com/goldfamily

I'll be arriving on the 14th, and my interview is the 15th. Getting nervous already!

Last edited:
I thought this might be helpful for a few of you that will need a rental car and want to try and avoid the stupid under 25 fee: http://www.hertz.com/goldfamily

I'll be arriving on the 14th, and my interview is the 15th. Getting nervous already!

Thanks for the link, I am still trying to figure out if I need to rent a car or if taxi will do. My interview is on 15th as well at 3:15, are you morning or afternoon? So exciting!!

Congrats to everyone that got an interview. I got news today that OSU has rejected me yet again (third time isn't the charm for applying, i guess). :(

If any OOS or IS students need housing, let me know. I still own a house in Columbus and will be renting it out... *sigh*

Congrats to everyone that got an interview. I got news today that OSU has rejected me yet again (third time isn't the charm for applying, i guess). :(

If any OOS or IS students need housing, let me know. I still own a house in Columbus and will be renting it out... *sigh*

Oh, man, I am SO sorry =( I was really pulling for you. Are you going to go in for a file review? Did you apply to other schools?

Oh man, I am so sorry. How did you find out..email?

(Our brains must think alike, EllieG. I wasn't even trying to quote you.)

:(:(:( So sorry pennyonthefloor!

Oh good. Mine should be here soon then.

*hugs* and empathy. :(

Aw, penny, I'm SOOO sorry. :(

I haven't gotten an official rejection from them; but not hearing about an interview, and seeing that my application is still 'in review', pretty much tells me I'm a no go. I didn't know if I would be accepted; but I really did think I was interview worthy after speaking with so many people out there during the summer. Needless to say I'm more than a touch bummed.

Everyone heading out to Columbus - kick some butt!! :xf::luck::xf::luck:

I haven't gotten an official rejection from them; but not hearing about an interview, and seeing that my application is still 'in review', pretty much tells me I'm a no go.

I don't think the "in review" part means anything. Mine says that too. Based on last year, I doubt all the interview invites will have gone out before end of business tomorrow. There's still a chance. Don't despair yet! :xf:

I don't think the "in review" part means anything. Mine says that too. Based on last year, I doubt all the interview invites will have gone out before end of business tomorrow. There's still a chance. Don't despair yet! :xf:

Thanks for your optimism - it's GREATLY appreciated. It's sometimes really hard not to despair when you're a cynic. ;)

Thanks for your optimism - it's GREATLY appreciated. It's sometimes really hard not to despair when you're a cynic. ;)

Seeing "your application has been denied" and a statement that your rejection letter is in the mail is what signifies rejection. I'm waiting to hear back from 3 other schools... all of which I'm OOS for.

Sucks to be kicked in the nads for 3 years. I honestly don't know what else to do.

Time for a date with Ben and Jerry.

Penny, did they email you, or just update your status online?

OSU is my IS too. And I'm fast losing hope. Mostly I figure if I just assume I'm rejected, I have the chance to be pleasantly surprised if I get an interview.

Seeing "your application has been denied" and a statement that your rejection letter is in the mail is what signifies rejection. I'm waiting to hear back from 3 other schools... all of which I'm OOS for.

Sucks to be kicked in the nads for 3 years. I honestly don't know what else to do.

Time for a date with Ben and Jerry.

I don't have an in-state school and got into vet school (and my home state doesn't have any contracts anywhere), and I know people who got accepted into OOS schools and rejected from their IS. Just because OSU didn't offer you an interview certainly doesn't mean you won't get one elsewhere. Try to stay optimistic.

I called the admissions office yesterday. No more interview invites will be sent out:(

I called the admissions office yesterday. No more interview invites will be sent out:(

This. sucks. Why are they prolonging it then...come on, at least change our status so we don't sit here hoping that something will change when it won't.

This. sucks. Why are they prolonging it then...come on, at least change our status so we don't sit here hoping that something will change when it won't.

If I am correct about it- they hold a set number of applicants outside of the pool that they interview so that, in the event they don't fill the class with the first round interviewers, they haven't rejected everyone. I was in that limbo last year.

I wish everyone the best :xf:... I really do. OSU is a great school and the professors are amazing. If any future students won't be utilizing their option to buy football tickets.... let me know... lol... (j/k!)

If I am correct about it- they hold a set number of applicants outside of the pool that they interview so that, in the event they don't fill the class with the first round interviewers, they haven't rejected everyone. I was in that limbo last year.

I wish everyone the best :xf:... I really do. OSU is a great school and the professors are amazing. If any future students won't be utilizing their option to buy football tickets.... let me know... lol... (j/k!)

I had no idea about this limbo you talk of. I didn't get my rejection letter last year until late jan. early feb (if not later) do you think does means I was in that group?

hey everyone! so for those of you still waiting to hear (like me) I just called the office and they said they're reevaluating some applications and still have yet to send out 10-30 interview invites. They said they may likely call, and if you've missed the email they'd also call to follow up. Also, they said last year there were still interviews going in January. So there's still hope:D Congrats to everyone who's already heard!

hey everyone! so for those of you still waiting to hear (like me) I just called the office and they said they're reevaluating some applications and still have yet to send out 10-30 interview invites. They said they may likely call, and if you've missed the email they'd also call to follow up. Also, they said last year there were still interviews going in January. So there's still hope:D Congrats to everyone who's already heard!

That's the group I was talking about.

Alright guys, this will be long. At the workshop I attended on Wednesday I took four pages of notes and was given two handouts for tips about the interview, so bear with me. I hope you find this helpful!

From My Notes
Your General Demeanor:
-They are looking for REAL people- DON'T LIE
-Be confident, but not cocky. It's okay to schmooze a little and be proud of who you are, but don't cross the line into arrogance.
-RELAX and sell yourself. If you have any hint of shyness, beat it out of yourself before you get into that room. You are on the verge of getting into vet school. If you are quiet and meek, the interviewers are going to do everything they can to get you out of that room. If you are enthusiastic and confident, they're going to do everything they can to keep you in that room.
-DON'T worry about things you can no longer control; ie. your GPA, GRE, reference letters, etc. You made it past the computers already, so you're good enough. Worrying won't do anything, so just roll with whatever you have.
-Act, dress, and speak like an adult. When you meet your interviewers/walk into the room, shake their hands firmly (but don't squash their hands), look them in the eye, smile brightly, introduce yourself, say "nice to meet you Dr. So and So," and express how happy you are to be there.
-Walk into that room saying over and over to yourself "I'm Ready For This."
-Realize that they have your information, they know ABOUT you. During the interviews they are testing your behaviors.
-Be bubbling out of your skin excited to be there! Sit up tall and SMILE! It's impossible to be scared or sad with a smile on your face!
-NEVER act tired.

Interview Specifics
-They are SWITCHING THINGS UP THIS YEAR. In the past years, interviewers have kind of been given free rein to ask what they want, but this year, GENERALLY EVERYBODY WILL BE ASKED THE SAME QUESTIONS. This is to even the playing field and make it more fair. For example, in previous years they have asked people about BSE, when maybe not everyone is familiar with BSE but they might know about something else. Therefore, they are asking a different question in that regard, which leads me into some SPECIFIC QUESTIONS THAT YOU CAN BET WILL BE ASKED.
1.) Name 4 or 5 current events that relate to vet med. Extrapolate on the one you know the most about.
2.) How have you demonstrated leadership abilities? Don't just say "I was President of this club," but tell WHAT you did in that position to lead the group. It also doesn't have to be a club membership either. Think outside the box. There are lots of ways to demonstrate leadership.
3.) Questions about integrity will come up.
4.) Tell me about a stressful time in your life and how you handled it. It DOES NOT have to be a tragedy. It's okay if you've not really had anything too terribly stressful in your life, but whatever you do, DON'T make something up!
5.) What do you know about the finances of veterinary medicine? They CANNOT ask you specifically how you plan to pay for vet school, but they DO want to know that you have thought about it, know how much it will cost, and what implications that has. Also good to know starting salaries.
6.) How will you achieve work/life balance so you don't burn out?
7.) What are the daily time committments of vet school? Talk to some current vet students so you know what you're getting into and can articulate that to your interviewers.
8.) Know 10 reasons you want to go to The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine. Obviously they probably won't ask you to rattle these off, but keep them in the back of your mind just in case.
9.) Know the basics about the vet school. What the CVM is known for, when it was founded, how many faculty and students, when they last had published research. (All of this can be found on the website.)
10.) Know the different facets of veterinary medicine. THEY UNDERSTAND that you don't have time to explore every single thing, but know the scope of the field, especially beyond private practice. Be able to say "well, I didn't have time to actually work in that sector of veterinary medicine, but I did do a little research on it (or spoke with someone who works in that field) and here is what I know about it."
11.) DON'T say you aren't interested in something (ie. I'm not interested in working with small animals, I'm not interested in research, etc.). Sometimes when you're in vet school, and internship, or out in private practice you DON'T get to choose what you do-sometimes you're told what to do and you have to do it, so you'd best learn at least a little something about everything.
12.) At the end of the interview they will ask if you have any questions for them. Try to have one prepared in case one doesn't pop into your head during the interview. If you honestly don't have a question don't just say "Nope, I'm good!" Think on it for a minute, then say "You know what, I think I have everything I need. I have really enjoyed this process and speaking with you today has been a pleasure."
13.) They may also ask you if there is anything they didn't bring up in the interview that you'd like to talk about. If there is, by all means bring it up! If not, see the response to question 12.

General Interview Tips
-PRACTICE!
-Do mock interviews with friends, family, academic advisers, etc.
-KNOW EVERYTHING on your application.
-Know the answers to the tough questions.
-Turn the negatives into positives. For example, if asked about a bad grade, explain it, but then turn it around and talk about how it was a learning experience for you, or how it turned out for the better. KEEP EVERYTHING POSITIVE.
-MANIPULATE the questions. If you don't know something, don't just say "I don't know." Say "I don't know about that, but I DO know about this..." or "I don't know about that, but here is my best guess..."
-Above all, be HONEST if you don't know. DO NOT try and make something up.
-Know why you are a better candidate than whoever walks in the door after you, and be able to explain that to your interviewers.

Verbal Communication
-Tone of voice-be excited and happy!
-Rate of speech-enunciate and slooowww dowwnn.
-Empasis-Emphasize the things that are very important to you.
-Qualify your language. Use ACTION verbs that are colorful and exciting, such as "accomplished," "achieved," and "supervised."
-Quantify your language. KNOW how many hours you did at what job/experience.
-Remember that there are no wrong or right answers in most cases, it's all in HOW you say it!

Non-Verbal Communication
-Posture- SIT UP! It shows you're confident!
-Eye contact-Use lots of it! It helps to build your confidence.
-Facial expressions-Be very aware of them and what feelings you're portraying with them. The goal is to personify enthusiasm.
-Gestures-These should be very limited but you may use them to provide emphasis when you really need it.
-SMILE-A smile can be seen from 300 feet away. It builds trust.
-Personal space-don't invade the interviewers' "flight zones."
-Listen attentively.

Clothing
-Wear a power suit! It should be a conservative color, should fit well, and be a good, quality suit. If ladies want to add a little pop of color with their blouse, that is appropriate. A little heel on your shoes is also okay, it makes you feel taller and more authoratative, thus increasing your confidence.
-Be subdued and very professional. Do NOT look like you're going to a party or out to dinner. This is a purely professional endeavor.
-Don't figet. Put a little something in your hands if you need.
-No fancy nails! Keep them plain (bright colors draw attention to your hands, especially if you are fidgeting). Also, short is best! The vet who gave this workshop said his impression of a girl with long nails is that she's never worked a day in her life.
-Nothing too low-cut. The vet said this isn't even an issue of showing too much skin, but the fact that lots of people get red splotches on their chest and neck when they're nervous can be distracting to the interviewers.
-As far as PIERCINGS go, they can't tell you whether or not to take them out, but just know that if you want to be safe, conservative is best. One pair of SMALL earrings in the earlobes is acceptable. To be safe, you should remove all other piercings. EVEN IF THE HOLE IS VISIBLE, the interviewers will appreciate the fact that you had the decency to remove the jewelery before the interview.

If You Don't Get In
-Know that there are other schools to try for.
-The first thing to check if you are rejected is your REFERENCES.

At the moment I can't locate the handouts we were given (I think they're on the couch in my apartment and I am currently on campus in the library) but they pretty much reiterate a lot of the above points. Now, take everything with a grain of salt, these are just from on person, but that person IS on the admissions committee (and is an interviewer) so these are straight from the horse's mouth. Obviously the list of questions and stuff is by no means exclusive and you may or may not be asked all those questions plus others. These are merely here to help you and I guarantee nothing! But if nothing else I hope this makes you guys feel a little more confident and prepared! :xf:

Did you ask them the status of your application or just if they were still sending out invites. When I called I asked them both.. and they said my application did not qualify for an interview.. so I wonder if I'm out of this group now.. or if they are now re-evaluating?

Did you ask them the status of your application or just if they were still sending out invites. When I called I asked them both.. and they said my application did not qualify for an interview.. so I wonder if I'm out of this group now.. or if they are now re-evaluating?

LoveMyDobies-- sorry to hear that we're both in the same boat. Do you have any other applications out still?