Ohio University (OU-HCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Facebook group for class of 2018 just went live!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted today!! Pretty excited :D

Members don't see this ad :)
How is the interview for Dublin different from the one for Athens? Is it by the faculties who will be teaching at Dublin?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

How is the interview for Dublin different from the one for Athens? Is it by the faculties who will be teaching at Dublin?

There were people in my interview day applying to Dublin and they had a fourth session with Dr Schriner during the interview day.

I did not have a 4th session with Dr. Schriner? The only difference that I had was I interviewed with one doctor from Columbus. Then just 2 more interviews with people from Athens.

Congrats your going to be a Dr! There is a facebook group already and are you Dublin or Athens?!

Is there a certain day in the week when interview invites are made?

Members don't see this ad :)
This may have been addressed earlier in the thread but I can't seem to get the secondary to download in a PDF format that will allow the text to be typed. Does anyone know which version of adobe needs to be downloaded? I tried the link that is listed on the secondary website but it did not work.

This may have been addressed earlier in the thread but I can't seem to get the secondary to download in a PDF format that will allow the text to be typed. Does anyone know which version of adobe needs to be downloaded? I tried the link that is listed on the secondary website but it did not work.

I had this same issue. There is a tab that says text or sign. Click it and then it will give you a menu on the right to either enter text or sign the document.

Make sure you have the latest adobe acrobat.

If all else fails, you might be able to print it out and type the application. I'll have our tech folks look into the app. If you can't print it out at all, please let me know at [email protected].

Hi All! The only difference in the Dublin interview is that candidates will be interviewed by one OhioHealth physician who is also on our faculty and has been appointed to the selection committee by our Dean. The format and everything is the same no matter which campus is preferred. Each candidate will have three, one-half hour interviews with selection committee members.

For those who have an extra session with Dr.Schriner, that is just an informational meeting to make you aware of any course deficiencies that came out on the AACOMAS application. Since everyone has to have all prerequisite courses completed before matriculation, this is just our way of making sure that we are meeting accreditation standards and that your matriculation process goes smoothly.

I've been accepted to OUHCOM :) and now I'm wondering what to do about finding a place to live. I know many students live in the Summit and University Courtyards, but I was wondering if there were any options closer to campus. I remember from my interview day hearing about condo type apartments right near campus that "went quick" but I can't remember the name of them. Also, do most accepted students find a place to live first or wait to find a roommate first? I would appreciate any advice!

I've been accepted to OUHCOM :) and now I'm wondering what to do about finding a place to live. I know many students live in the Summit and University Courtyards, but I was wondering if there were any options closer to campus. I remember from my interview day hearing about condo type apartments right near campus that "went quick" but I can't remember the name of them. Also, do most accepted students find a place to live first or wait to find a roommate first? I would appreciate any advice!
Athens Station. Sorry, that's the only thing I can help you with!

I just got an interview invite here! OMG!!!!!!!!! This would keep me in my home state so I don't have to move away from my wife. I'm polishing my shoes up real nice for this one. Everyone pray for me that this works out. As much as I love medicine, I love my wife too. Having both would be great. I am totally excited about this opportunity. What is the post-interview acceptance rate?

Some of those are OOS interviews so Ohio residents have a better chance than the 58% (140/240)???

Actually they number should be a bit higher with the Dublin branch. So admit 190 seats total. I'm not sure how many are accepted though, but definitely higher than 240 now.

Also, 20 percent is OOS. Hoping for some love too as I'm in-state and my interview is next week! :eek:

If you do not get Dublin, then you can still go to Athens, correct?

190 seats is amazing. OUHCOM definitely recognizes the physician short fall and has allocated resources for more seats accordingly. That means more interview invites and more chances for passionate people to become physicians. I really want to go here. It would end my cycle. 190/290 would still be good odds...hopefully! You have to think that some individuals are OOS or that others might accept other places within the state. I'm telling myself these things at least.

A long time ago...I think the beginning of September?

Edit: I woke up this morning thinking how amazing this school is for giving me an opportunity to discuss my application in person, despite my lower MCAT score. They truly do look at the entire application. I am beyond excited for this interview.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
190 seats is amazing. OUHCOM definitely recognizes the physician short fall and has allocated resources for more seats accordingly. That means more interview invites and more chances for passionate people to become physicians. I really want to go here. It would end my cycle. 190/290 would still be good odds...hopefully! You have to think that some individuals are OOS or that others might accept other places within the state. I'm telling myself these things at least.

Definitely agree with you there. This is also my top school and it would be great to be accepted here! I can't find the stats to prove it, but I think I saw somewhere that the acceptance rate post interview is pretty high/decent. I'm hoping for the best!

Actually they number should be a bit higher with the Dublin branch. So admit 190 seats total. I'm not sure how many are accepted though, but definitely higher than 240 now.

Also, 20 percent is OOS. Hoping for some love too as I'm in-state and my interview is next week! :eek:

Congrats on the interview! I just had mine on the 18th and got accepted. The interview process was really great. Good luck on your interview!!!

Congrats on the interview! I just had mine on the 18th and got accepted. The interview process was really great. Good luck on your interview!!!

Congrats on your acceptance!! I'm both nervous and excited at the same time! I really want to go here! Thank you so much!! Hopefully we'll be in the same class next year :)

Tips on the interviews?

Reactions: 1 user
Tips on the interviews?
The interview is open-file, so it is ideal to know your application thoroughly, both the primary and secondary.
It is natural to be nervous and anxious but the school does a wonderful job to make put you at ease.
Maintain good eye contacts, bring forth that confident glow on your face with lots of smiles.
Don't eat too much since the interview is immediately after your lunch - may make you woozy.
Be yourself!

Congrats on your acceptance!! I'm both nervous and excited at the same time! I really want to go here! Thank you so much!! Hopefully we'll be in the same class next year :)

Tips on the interviews?

The interview day was a really great experience. For the first part of the day, just relax and take in everything about the University. Everyone there really does make you feel at home and are super nice. For the interviews, as I'm sure you've heard a lot by now, just be yourself! They were super relaxed and the interviewers are really easy to talk to. Make sure you know your own file since it is open-file. But just relax and show them why you are excited to be a doctor and why you are excited about OU and I'm sure you'll get in! Good luck!

Accepted…actually got a phone call about 2 hours after leaving the campus. Definitely excited for this.

Can someone post the link to the OU-HCOM 2018 Facebook group?

Thanks

I will be at Athens, I had no reason to apply for Dublin so I figured I would save that for someone who does.

Man! Not that many people on here are going to Dublin! Then again the class size is way smaller. Anyways I am sure I might run into sometime next year!

Haha, I think there were about half of my interview group applied to Dublin. But hopefully I'll get to meet those in Dublin!

How many were in your interview group?

17 interviewees. To answer your other question, last Wednesday they have admitted 25 Dublin students and I'm not sure after my interview group. Hope that helps! Good luck! You'll do great!

I interview here tomorrow. This is my #1 choice and final interview of the season so it is time to lay it all out on the line. Cue a 1980's Journey song....like the beat from Separate Ways

Last edited: