Ohio University (OU-HCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interview here tomorrow. This is my #1 choice and final interview of the season so it is time to lay it all out on the line. Cue a 1980's Journey song....like the beat from Separate Ways
Break a leg! You'll have a blast, it's such a good overall experience!

Members don't see this ad.

I interview here tomorrow. This is my #1 choice and final interview of the season so it is time to lay it all out on the line. Cue a 1980's Journey song....like the beat from Separate Ways

Good luck tomorrow! Enjoy the day! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview tomorrow. I'm super nervous. I almost went here for undergrad, I absolutely love Athens. This is my number 1 choice in school, so wish me luck!

I just discovered this school and I really like it...but I'm OOS. Is it still worth applying? I'm a 3.8/3.8/26

I just discovered this school and I really like it...but I'm OOS. Is it still worth applying? I'm a 3.8/3.8/26
What have you got to lose? If you like the school, send the app in

Is there anyone that didn't find out until Monday? I keep hearing stories of people getting called the evening of their interview. I'm bummed about not getting a call.

It is only 6pm buddy, my call didn't come until 6:30…give it time

Is there anyone that didn't find out until Monday? I keep hearing stories of people getting called the evening of their interview. I'm bummed about not getting a call.
Give it a little more time. It may still happen yet.

Yeah no phone call. I thought I was well prepared for the interview.

Edit: I read through the thread and some people were accepted via e-mail on Monday so I am holding out hope.

Last edited:
Accepted! [It feels so awesome to say that. Be free, my stress!]- phone call 2 hours into the drive

I am so excited to go here, after seeing it and speaking with some of the students I can tell that this school is even more amazing than I thought. I hope to see some of the people from Friday's interview next August, it was so great meeting all of you!

Yeah no phone call. I thought I was well prepared for the interview.

Edit: I read through the thread and some people were accepted via e-mail on Monday so I am holding out hope.

Don't get discouraged! I didn't get accepted via phone call and found out after the weekend in an email. So hang in there!

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted! [It feels so awesome to say that. Be free, my stress!]- phone call 2 hours into the drive

I am so excited to go here, after seeing it and speaking with some of the students I can tell that this school is even more amazing than I thought. I hope to see some of the people from Friday's interview next August, it was so great meeting all of you!

Congrats! Athens or Dublin?

Athens. I can't wait to be on such a beautiful campus! (Although, to be fair, I wish the Cleveland campus opened in 2014, it's going to be hard leaving the city that I love so much.)

What were your stats if you don't mind my asking? I am still holding out hope for Monday.

Athens. I can't wait to be on such a beautiful campus! (Although, to be fair, I wish the Cleveland campus opened in 2014, it's going to be hard leaving the city that I love so much.)
I'll be joining you in Athens. I agree, it's a beautiful setting. I'm really looking forward to it!

Congratulations to all the acceptances! I am really waiting for an ii from OU!! It is my top choice and I'm starting to get worried as the months go by and I haven't heard anything from them since I called to confirm my file was complete on 10/14. Since then, I have started a new full time job as a nursing assistant on a med/surg floor and I get to see some pretty cool stuff. Watching docs do their thing obviously reconfirms my desire to practice medicine. Does anyone know if it's acceptable to submit an update to your file with OU?
I don't know if it would help at all, I already have clinical exposure from other jobs and activities but I'm getting anxious and feel like I should do something!! Any thoughts?

You should be able to update your AACOMAS, then follow it with a phone call to the school saying you have an updated AACOMAS and they can download the new version…I believe…although I could be wrong

Did any of you guys include anything with your deposit when you sent it in?

Accepted to Ohio University - Athens campus!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Rejected today after interview. Stats for those who care MCAT: 34 (12,10,12) GPA: 3.35 for both. When I asked them why they said I was more suitable for allopathic medicine (despite my efforts to pursue osteopathic medicine). Also advice to applicants, DO LOR is really not optional it's mandatory. It's disappointing but congrats to those that got accepted. Also in state.

Last edited:
Are you talking about the $100 deposit? Were you already accepted? Just wondering if you were already accepted whyyou'd send a letter of intent.

Yeah. I sent the deposit along with my letter. They wanted you to say something that you would like to have your seat to be reserved.

I guess I should have said letter of intent to attend.

Yeah. I sent the deposit along with my letter. They wanted you to say something that you would like to have your seat to be reserved.

I guess I should have said letter of intent to attend.

Oh, I see. Thanks!

Wait, we had to send a letter with out deposit? I just mailed the check in but I intend on attending here. Guess I better call them

Wait, we had to send a letter with out deposit? I just mailed the check in but I intend on attending here. Guess I better call them

It has to be a written format somehow. You could email Dr. Schriner saying that you would like the school to hold your place.

I simply replied back to my acceptance email stating something along the lines that "I would like to accept my acceptance" lol

Reactions: 1 user
It has to be a written format somehow. You could email Dr. Schriner saying that you would like the school to hold your place.
phew…thanks for letting me know about that, emailed him this afternoon…I'm all set!

Does this school usually only accept OOS with high stats?

I have a 28 mcat and was placed on the alternate list as an oos. No DO letter nor did I shadow a DO.

Actually from what I gathered when I called for feedback, they take your best score from each section. So my score was a 29 for their purposes.

I simply replied back to my acceptance email stating something along the lines that "I would like to accept my acceptance" lol

To which they will soon reply "We accept your acceptance of your acceptance."

Reactions: 1 users
My love for this schools has only become bigger after receiving an email today stating that I have been awarded a small scholarship for next year! I really appreciate how welcoming they are to incoming students!

Reactions: 1 user
My love for this schools has only become bigger after receiving an email today stating that I have been awarded a small scholarship for next year! I really appreciate how welcoming they are to incoming students!

Congrats! Did you have to apply for it or were you just awarded it?

Congrats! Did you have to apply for it or were you just awarded it?
Nope. I just received the email saying that I got it. It did mention that we would be finding out more information after the first of the year in regards to Financial Aid and Scholarships.