Ohio University (OU-HCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Top choice, hoping for some OOS love.

Reactions: 1 user
Incoming MS1 and would love to answer any questions about the OU-HCOM application process. Good luck future Bobcats!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Incoming MS1 and would love to answer any questions about the OU-HCOM application process. Good luck future Bobcats!

Hi Bobcat! I am an OOS with a 3.63 GPA (3.59 science, 3.7 non science) and 26 MCAT (6 VR, 12 BS, 8 PS). I actually had an MSII (now MSII) from your school write me a pretty strong letter after he did a research fellowship in the lab I was in.

Any idea how many students come from CA?

What made you choose the school at the end of the day?

Hi Bobcat! I am an OOS with a 3.63 GPA (3.59 science, 3.7 non science) and 26 MCAT (6 VR, 12 BS, 8 PS). I actually had an MSII (now MSII) from your school write me a pretty strong letter after he did a research fellowship in the lab I was in.

Any idea how many students come from CA?

What made you choose the school at the end of the day?

Hi Emagavin, I'm not sure the stats on what percentage of matriculants are from California but two years ago 7% of matriculants were from OOS. However, I do remember Meep mentioning that more OOS residents would likely be accepted this past year due to the Dublin campus opening. Not sure if this was the actual case?... Since you have ties to OU this will definitely work in your favor.

After getting accepted to a handful of other schools I picked OU for a number of different reasons. 1) Rotations- they have some of the best rotations I've seen of any other DO school. The CORE allows their students the opportunity to rotate with over 20 hospitals. What stood out to me was not only the sheer number of rotations spots available, but the quality of the hospitals within the CORE- they range from the Cleveland Clinic to Ohio Health to Riverside hospital. 2) Historic precedence of high board scores- speaks for itself. 3) Match results- these should be looked over by you in more detail but OU does a great job at matching into competitive specialties at renowned hospitals. Last year alone they had students match at Mayo, Cleveland Clinic, Duke, and Ohio State (to name a few). 4) Supportive administration- this may sound weird but this was one of the main reasons why I chose OUHCOM. There really is a family mentality here. The administration bends over backwards for their students. 5) In-state tuition $31,000 :), 6) I like the fact that OUHCOM is a part of a large university. This provides many extra resources for medical students that would not be available to other schools- the one I think is most important is research opportunities. There are so many research opportunities to medical students, including a summer internship between our first and second year.

Hope this helps :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hi Emagavin, I'm not sure the stats on what percentage of matriculants are from California but two years ago 7% of matriculants were from OOS. However, I do remember Meep mentioning that more OOS residents would likely be accepted this past year due to the Dublin campus opening. Not sure if this was the actual case?... Since you have ties to OU this will definitely work in your favor.

After getting accepted to a handful of other schools I picked OU for a number of different reasons. 1) Rotations- they have some of the best rotations I've seen of any other DO school. The CORE allows their students the opportunity to rotate with over 20 hospitals. What stood out to me was not only the sheer number of rotations spots available, but the quality of the hospitals within the CORE- they range from the Cleveland Clinic to Ohio Health to Riverside hospital. 2) Historic precedence of high board scores- speaks for itself. 3) Match results- these should be looked over by you in more detail but OU does a great job at matching into competitive specialties at renowned hospitals. Last year alone they had students match at Mayo, Cleveland Clinic, Duke, and Ohio State (to name a few). 4) Supportive administration- this may sound weird but this was one of the main reasons why I chose OUHCOM. There really is a family mentality here. The administration bends over backwards for their students. 5) In-state tuition $31,000 :), 6) I like the fact that OUHCOM is a part of a large university. This provides many extra resources for medical students that would not be available to other schools- the one I think is most important is research opportunities. There are so many research opportunities to medical students, including a summer internship between our first and second year.

Hope this helps :)

Thank you so much for the informative response. I'm actually planning on visiting Athens in July to get a feel of Ohio. I don't have any ties but have a really big desire to be at this school because of what they stand for. It really fits.

That was one thing I enjoyed about OUCOM was it's great research opportunites But also the fact that they have an entire department for social medicine (something I haven't seen here at UCSD).

Congrats on finishing MSI and best of luck on MSII :)

interesting:happy:

Last edited:
Psyched for the new Cleveland campus! OOS here

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whoa I've never heard of that before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The contract is required for your application to be deemed complete. So you won't be considered for an interview until it's signed!

Options include:
Primary care residency at CORE hospital- 3 year residency will count towards your 5 years.
Specialty residency counts the same, towards your 5 years if done at a CORE hospital.
If you leave for residency to different state, then you will have to return to Ohio to serve your 5 years.
There is also an out of state scholar program- committee releases out of state students to work in different areas. State-funding says 80% of graduates should remain in Ohio so that's only an option for a few people.

Hope that answered some questions. Jill was so helpful on the phone!

The contract is required for your application to be deemed complete. So you won't be considered for an interview until it's signed!

Options include:
Primary care residency at CORE hospital- 3 year residency will count towards your 5 years.
Specialty residency counts the same, towards your 5 years if done at a CORE hospital.
If you leave for residency to different state, then you will have to return to Ohio to serve your 5 years.
There is also an out of state scholar program- committee releases out of state students to work in different areas. State-funding says 80% of graduates should remain in Ohio so that's only an option for a few people.

Well, I guess I will be withdrawing my application then.

Members don't see this ad :)

Options include:

Well, I guess I will be withdrawing my application then.
there is also a "buy out" option. Last I heard it was around $50k.

Options include:

Do they guarantee residency at a CORE hospital?

+1 on the secondary!

"The Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine is interested in finding out more about you as an applicant. To enable us to gain a better understanding of your activities, working experiences, and personal philosophy and their relationship to osteopathic medicine, you are asked to complete a personal statement. Please be open, candid and honest in your responses. Feel free to draw on your school experiences, extra-curricular activities, or working experience as a basis for your answers.

All applicants are required to write a personal essay indicating why you wish to become an osteopathic physician; why you wish to attend the Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine; and any additional information you feel the selection committee should know about you.

*Applicants indicating Dublin as a preference must write an additional personal essay detailing their interest in studying and training in central Ohio; desire for primary care medicine; and intent to remain in central Ohio for practice.

*Applicants indicating Cleveland as a preference must write an additional personal essay detailing their interest in studying and training in northeast Ohio; desire for primary care medicine; and intent to remain in northeast Ohio for practice."

Word/character limit?

"Please type each essay on a separate sheet of 8 1⁄2 X 11 paper, single spaced, with a font size no less than 10 pt or greater than 12 pt. Please clearly identify at the top right corner of the page your name and the title of the essay being submitted (e.g. Required Personal Statement or Dublin Campus Statement)"

Received secondary yesterday as well.

So I assume that means 1 page maximum single-spaced per prompt?

So I assume that means 1 page maximum single-spaced per prompt?

My buddy called the admissions office the other day, and they told him they want 1 page total.

Addition: It looks like the Dublin and Cleveland campuses require an additional personal statement, and I would assume you could use another piece of paper for each of these essays. I only filled out the essay for Athens, and I put both why I want to be a DO and why I want to go to OU-HCOM on the same page.

Last edited:
My buddy called the admissions office the other day, and they told him they want 1 page total.

Addition: It looks like the Dublin and Cleveland campuses require an additional personal statement, and I would assume you could use another piece of paper for each of these essays. I only filled out the essay for Athens, and I put both why I want to be a DO and why I want to go to OU-HCOM on the same page.
Exactly the same as mine- I wrote Why DO and Why OU-HCOM on the same essay and then another sheet for Why Cleveland. Good luck!

No medical school in the country guarantees residency.

TCOM guarantees family medicine residency (given passing board scores, etc.) to students in the F-MAT program.

I spoke with Dr. Schriner today. First, he was super cool, and second, he said they plan to start reviewing files next week, send out interview invites at the end of July, and begin interviews on the second Friday in September.

Submitting my secondary today!

Options include:

Thanks for saving me the trouble of applying here. I could tolerate Ohio for med school, but I would not live there for 5 extra years if they offered me double what I could make anywhere else.

EDIT: Wait, does the residency requirement only apply to those two campuses? The Athens campus might still be a go.

Last edited:
Right... Well, good luck to whomever fills the seat I might have taken. I will stick with the two schools I've already applied to.
Honestly that was my first thought too, but I'd rather go to OU than every other DO school I applied to barring PCOM! Plus a residency spot at Cleveland Clinic is pretty awesome if you ask me.

Honestly that was my first thought too, but I'd rather go to OU than every other DO school I applied to barring PCOM! Plus a residency spot at Cleveland Clinic is pretty awesome if you ask me.

Really? Why are you so found of this school, that you rank it second only to the mighty PCOM?

Submitting my secondary tomorrow!

How big of a deal is it that I don't have a DO letter of recommendation? I have a great MD internist letter of recommendation that I hope will suffice... But on the application they "strongly recommend" one from a DO. I have a 3.75 cGPA/sGPA and a 29 MCAT, I hope this letter doesn't break my application. I am IS and this school realistically is best fit for me out of all other DO schools. Hoping for the best!

Really? Why are you so found of this school, that you rank it second only to the mighty PCOM?
I'm most interested in the new Cleveland campus. I am nowhere close to being able to get into CWRU and this is the next best way into one of the world's finest medical institutions- Cleveland Clinic! Not to mention everyone is so friendly, their curriculum is good and they've had 99-100% match from what I've seen. PCOM gives me better opportunities for PA in state stuff and no contract. My other DO schools are Rowan, WV, and LECOM so I'd say this is easily second best if not the best of mine.

How big of a deal is it that I don't have a DO letter of recommendation? I have a great MD internist letter of recommendation that I hope will suffice... But on the application they "strongly recommend" one from a DO. I have a 3.75 cGPA/sGPA and a 29 MCAT, I hope this letter doesn't break my application. I am IS and this school realistically is best fit for me out of all other DO schools. Hoping for the best!
I'd really work on getting a DO letter. If you're from Ohio, it's not hard to find a DO and the school really wants you to have exposure to DO. Is it 100% necessary? No. But it is really looked favorably upon. I'd submit now and you can always send a DO LOR in later if you can get one.

Posted using SDN Mobile

I'd really work on getting a DO letter. If you're from Ohio, it's not hard to find a DO and the school really wants you to have exposure to DO. Is it 100% necessary? No. But it is really looked favorably upon. I'd submit now and you can always send a DO LOR in later if you can get one.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Hmm just seems so last minute now... I don't think I feel comfortable asking for a letter in such a short time frame.

I would agree that a DO letter for OU is important, though not a necessity. The DO that I got my letter from I hadn't even shadowed. I had a meeting with her to talk about the osteopathic profession in general and at the end of the meeting she asked if I wanted a letter of recommendation. Most DO's are eager to write letters for prospective students so don't hesitate to ask :)

I would agree that a DO letter for OU is important, though not a necessity. The DO that I got my letter from I hadn't even shadowed. I had a meeting with her to talk about the osteopathic profession in general and at the end of the meeting she asked if I wanted a letter of recommendation. Most DO's are eager to write letters for prospective students so don't hesitate to ask :)

Hmm any advice on how to get in contact with a DO?

Do I have no shot with a 3.5 sGPA/3.7 cGPA and a 24 MCAT?

Or call the office and speak with Jill Harmon- she's awesome and may be able to counsel you @Fedxup if you'd be competitive!

That sounds like a good idea, I will give her a call on Monday.

Secondary too long, worth submitting asap? / is this school rolling admissions?

read the fine print about the five year contract. deciding whether or not to apply as an OOS from CA. seems like there is a lot of OOS interest!

Secondary too long, worth submitting asap? / is this school rolling admissions?
They told me that even though I was complete they won't be reviewing for a bit and starting interviews late August/September IIRC.

Hmm just seems so last minute now... I don't think I feel comfortable asking for a letter in such a short time frame.
It's fine. I shadowed a DO for a couple weeks and I used that letter. Remember that it's a long cycle as well, and they admit people through February. I actually had a classmate come off the waitlist the 3rd day of classes.