Ohio University (OU-HCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Secondary too long, worth submitting asap? / is this school rolling admissions?
The vast majority of schools are rolling admissions, including this one. It's in your best interest to apply early. There are a lot of applicants for a finite amount of spots. They interview until those spots are filled and then start waitlisting folks. I'd say the earlier the better as there's a high accepted to interview ratio at the earlier stages of the cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

read the fine print about the five year contract. deciding whether or not to apply as an OOS from CA. seems like there is a lot of OOS interest!
You might as well try. I was in your shoes once. Just know that the school is focused on producing physicians to stay in Ohio, but they're open to OOSers if you show commitment to community service. The school is well respected in Ohio and the dedication from the alumni is palpable.

If you have any questions about the school feel free to ask or pm me. Also, @meep!! meep!! is the most helpful person ever.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm any advice on how to get in contact with a DO?
There are a few different ways to find a DO. The first thing I would do is check out the American Osteopathic Association website at http://www.osteopathic.org. They have a "Find a DO" search box on the front page and you can search by specialty and state.

Another way to find a DO in Ohio is to check out the Ohio Osteopathic Association website at http://www.ooanet.org (there are also state osteopathic associations in all 50 states). This page doesn't let you search for physicians, but you can learn a lot about who the prominent DO's are in the state. You could then Google them and find an email address at their hospital or private practice. It also doesn't hurt to ask family and friends if they know a DO. Many Premed advisors also have contact to DOs who may be graduates of their school.

Finally, you could visit websites of hospitals in your area and scan their physician listings for DO's. Most DO's are very happy to talk to you and share their love of the profession. If you find an OU-HCOM graduate, it is also nice if you mention that you are applying to HCOM. Pretty much all of our grads want to give back by introducing their future colleagues to our school.

Hope this is helpful. :)

It's fine. I shadowed a DO for a couple weeks and I used that letter. Remember that it's a long cycle as well, and they admit people through February. I actually had a classmate come off the waitlist the 3rd day of classes.
NontradCA is right. It is a long cycle! We actually interview people until the last Friday in April (it will be April 24 for 2015). All applications must be submitted to AACOMAS by Feb. 1 and all secondary application materials must be in by March 15.

Hello guys/gals.

Question: While filling out the secondary application, do our responses have to be computer generated? Can we simply hand-write it?

Does anyone know if OU prescreens before handing out secondaries??

Hello guys/gals.

Question: While filling out the secondary application, do our responses have to be computer generated? Can we simply hand-write it?

I think they have to be typed out.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello guys/gals.

Yes, it does have to be typed eitherfrom a typewriter or computer. Please understand that we do read everything in an applicant's file and we just don't have the time to try and read someone's handwriting. If it is an issue of getting all of your thoughts onto one page, then by all means write two if you need to. We would much rather read two pages of something typed (and spell/grammar checked) than one in someone's hand writing.

Yes, it does have to be typed eitherfrom a typewriter or computer. Please understand that we do read everything in an applicant's file and we just don't have the time to try and read someone's handwriting. If it is an issue of getting all of your thoughts onto one page, then by all means write two if you need to. We would much rather read two pages of something typed (and spell/grammar checked) than one in someone's hand writing.

Totally understandable. Thank you.

I completely understand that the essays should be typed. But what about the secondary application form (with personal information)? I understand it needs to be legible so that the information can be matched appropriately to my file, but I can't for the life of me figure out how I can *type* onto that form. Same with the contract of admission for OOS students... although that one requires a handwritten signature anyway, so maybe it doesn't matter if the address on the line below is also handwritten?

Edit: silly typo

Last edited:
I completely understand that the essays should be typed. But what about the secondary application form (with personal information)? I understand it needs to be legible so that the information can be matched appropriately to my file, but I can't for the file of me figure out how I can *type* onto that form. Same with the contract of admission for OOS students... although that one requires a handwritten signature anyway, so maybe it doesn't matter if the address on the line below is also handwritten?

I hand wrote that part--the application form!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone still trying to figure out how to type on that form here is how: Just save the PDF and open it in adobe reader. Click the sign button to the left side and there are the option to add text and check marks :D. (I have a mac so might be different on windows)

I completely understand that the essays should be typed. But what about the secondary application form (with personal information)? I understand it needs to be legible so that the information can be matched appropriately to my file, but I can't for the life of me figure out how I can *type* onto that form. Same with the contract of admission for OOS students... although that one requires a handwritten signature anyway, so maybe it doesn't matter if the address on the line below is also handwritten?

Edit: silly typo
Ah, I see what you mean now. Yes, handwriting the Personal Information section on the secondary is fine. Unfortunately, it wasn't designed to be a writable PDF, but if you happen to have the full Adobe Acrobat Pro, you can add a text box and type that way. I'm guessing most folks don't have the full version though. Same with filling out the bottom of the Contract for Admission. Handwriting that is fine too.

Apologies for misunderstanding the question. :)

Man I loved everything about OUHCOM. I was at both pre med receptions, and I have to say Dr. Schriner and the rest of the OUHCOM staff have been the most helpful out of all the schools I'm applying too. I highly recommend any of you applying to this school to schedule a visit to Athens and perhaps try to meet with someone there. The students are among the happiest med students I have met. The cadaver lab is top notch and has one of the lowest student to cadaver ratios in the country. The CORE system offers top notch rotations at some of Ohio's best hospitals. I have yet to find any negatives.

meep!! meep!! do you know when we can expect to hear interview invites starting to come out? I'm very nervous and eager to hear back from OUHCOM.

Reactions: 1 users
Man I loved everything about OUHCOM. I was at both pre med receptions, and I have to say Dr. Schriner and the rest of the OUHCOM staff have been the most helpful out of all the schools I'm applying too. I highly recommend any of you applying to this school to schedule a visit to Athens and perhaps try to meet with someone there. The students are among the happiest med students I have met. The cadaver lab is top notch and has one of the lowest student to cadaver ratios in the country. The CORE system offers top notch rotations at some of Ohio's best hospitals. I have yet to find any negatives.

meep!! meep!! do you know when we can expect to hear interview invites starting to come out? I'm very nervous and eager to hear back from OUHCOM.

So glad to hear that you love us! I'm going to share this with our team. :)

We haven't sent out any invitations to interview yet. I don't expect them to go out until mid/late August. The first interview date will be Friday, September 12 and will proceed pretty much every Friday until April 24, 2015. We try to give at least two week's notice to those selected and your invitation will come via email (note to all: please check your junk mail boxes as sometimes the invitations land there). This is going to be a huge year for us as we are bringing in our largest class -EVER! We anticipate interviewing nearly 460-480 students for our 240 seats. All interviews will be held in Athens.

Reactions: 5 users

We haven't sent out any invitations to interview yet. I don't expect them to go out until mid/late August. The first interview date will be Friday, September 12 and will proceed pretty much every Friday until April 24, 2015. We try to give at least two week's notice to those selected and your invitation will come via email (note to all: please check your junk mail boxes as sometimes the invitations land there). This is going to be a huge year for us as we are bringing in our largest class -EVER! We anticipate interviewing nearly 460-480 students for our 240 seats. All interviews will be held in Athens.

I can only imagine that the number of applications will skyrocket as well. Keep up the great work! I'm praying I get one of those interviews.

Do you have any idea how fee waivers work? I received the AACOMAS fee wavier and I know that OUHCOM awards fee waivers also. SHould I submit my secondary with payment and it will be refunded at a later date?

Do you have any idea how fee waivers work? I received the AACOMAS fee wavier and I know that OUHCOM awards fee waivers also. SHould I submit my secondary with payment and it will be refunded at a later date?

I called the admission office yesterday just to make sure. Simply attach a copy of the email/message from AACOMAS indicating that you are qualified for the free waiver and include it with your secondary documents. You should be good to go. I mailed mine out yesterday.

I have not yet received a secondary from OUHCOM, but I have from several other schools. I need to tell my premed committee to send my reference letters, but should I wait until I have received a secondary from each school before telling them to send the letters to all my schools?

I have not yet received a secondary from OUHCOM, but I have from several other schools. I need to tell my premed committee to send my reference letters, but should I wait until I have received a secondary from each school before telling them to send the letters to all my schools?

When did you submit your primary? Typically you wait until you are invited for a secondary before sending your letters.

I am really excited to be able to apply for Cleveland campus. :) Does anyone know any other updates on this new Cleveland campus other than they just appointed a dean?

I am really excited to be able to apply for Cleveland campus. :) Does anyone know any other updates on this new Cleveland campus other than they just appointed a dean?

It will be affiliated with the Cleveland Clinic South Pointe Hospital, a great hospital that my mom was once a patient at. It's a great location that is a mix between suburban and urban so theres a chance you will see very interesting cases. Dr. Juhasz the President of the hospital and Dean of the new school is an awesome guy and a leader in the osteopathic medicine. Call and see if there are any premed receptions happening there anytime soon. I went earlier this year and it was awesome because you learned a lot about the school and got to see part of it with your own eyes.

It will be affiliated with the Cleveland Clinic South Pointe Hospital, a great hospital that my mom was once a patient at. It's a great location that is a mix between suburban and urban so theres a chance you will see very interesting cases. Dr. Juhasz the President of the hospital and Dean of the new school is an awesome guy and a leader in the osteopathic medicine. Call and see if there are any premed receptions happening there anytime soon. I went earlier this year and it was awesome because you learned a lot about the school and got to see part of it with your own eyes.

Thanks! I think I will contact the school. I am OOS but have high hopes for this school. I heard they are only taking 32 students though.

Do you know if they are still in the process of building the campus?

Check their website! There is a new Cleveland Campus section of the site :) This was my first secondary I completed and I'm so excited to hear from them!

Thanks! I think I will contact the school. I am OOS but have high hopes for this school. I heard they are only taking 32 students though.

Do you know if they are still in the process of building the campus?

Just make sure you have a very compelling reason to want to stay and practice in Ohio. They want all OOS applicants to serve a minimum of 5 years in Ohio after graduation. (Not sure if residency counts). I am not sure on the number but I know its not very high. I know the Cleveland Campus will be taking on I think 50 students. What they are looking for in these students is people who have ties to the area and will stay and serve the Northeast Ohio community.

Does anyone know if they will accept LORs from interfolio?

Does anyone know what % of OU-HCOM's class is in-state?

The website says that for the incoming class in 2013, only 7% were out of state students (out of 141 students). Despite the dismal odds, I still applied this cycle as an out of state student, to Athens and Cleveland. We'll see how it goes lol. Congrats to @lexierae494 and @skywayz!

The website says that for the incoming class in 2013, only 7% were out of state students (out of 141 students). Despite the dismal odds, I still applied this cycle as an out of state student, to Athens and Cleveland. We'll see how it goes lol. Congrats to @lexierae494 and @skywayz!
I don't think that necessarily has to do with admissions numbers for IS/OOS. I think that has a lot to do with the 5 year contract for OOSers- once an OOS person gets into another school higher on their list, I would think they'd take that more often than not.

I don't think that necessarily has to do with admissions numbers for IS/OOS. I think that has a lot to do with the 5 year contract for OOSers- once an OOS person gets into another school higher on their list, I would think they'd take that more often than not.

I'm sure you're right. But still, as a public school, they don't hide the fact that they give priority to Ohio residents. I'd love to have a chance here (and do have ties to Ohio), but I'm not holding my breath!

OOS from FL with zero ties to Ohio. 3.7,3.5 27. Any shot? I really like this school. It looks beautiful online and is highly respected. What do they look for in a candidate for the OU of state scholars program?

Just got the interview today for Friday September 19th. My brother is an MS 2 at the school so I will be getting there Thursday night to stay with him. If anyone shows up Thursday we should all get some food or something, and he can definitely provide some awesome information for us! The school is amazing

Just mailed in my stuff. MI resident but with significant OH ties. Hoping for some love from this school :)

II today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banana::banana::banana::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited: