PCOM (Philadelphia) Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed here today. PCOM is such a great school!
The interview, along with breakfast and tour, was very laid back and conversational. It seems like the majority of people in my group got asked Why PCOM and why philadelphia

Members don't see this ad.

Do interview invites come via mail or email?

Members don't see this ad :)
How long has it been since you turned in your supplementals? They lost mine and didn't find out until 4 weeks after I turned mine in. They said to give them 10 business days to send out a complete email so if its been longer than that... call them up.

This also happened to me. They deposited my check on 8/18 and I didn't find out they lost my app until last week. Still not complete yet...

Anyone interviewing tomorrow: do NOT base your opinions of the students from what you see tomorrow.

Why?

Head and neck exam for first years. Second years? They just had an exam that covered six weeks of material so they should be on cloud nine--talk to them tomorrow

Congratulations on your interview! Can you tell me more about the structure of it? Committee? Open/closed file? Was it a group interview? My interview is tomorrow. Thanks! :)

Interviewed here today. PCOM is such a great school!
The interview, along with breakfast and tour, was very laid back and conversational. It seems like the majority of people in my group got asked Why PCOM and why philadelphia

Congratulations on your interview! I was hoping you could explain the structure of the interview. Committee or individual? Open or closed file? Was it group interviews? My interview is tomorrow. :scared: Thanks :)

Congratulations on your interview! I was hoping you could explain the structure of the interview. Committee or individual? Open or closed file? Was it group interviews? My interview is tomorrow. :scared: Thanks :)

Thank you! It is a committee/panel interview. You will have it with 2/3 faculty members. It is open file and no group interviews. Good Luck!

Got an invite today to interview on 10/3!
So excited!!

Members don't see this ad :)
They don't even give ya a weeks notice?esp. this early in the cycle. I hope I have more notice than that if I get an invite.

Anyone interviewing tomorrow? I just got into philly about 2 hours ago. Staying at the hilton. PM me if your here

Just got my secondary completion email. I swear I mailed in my check like 3 weeks ago. Now just hoping for an interview. (OOS)

How long after emailing the secondary did it take you all to get the complete email?

e-mailed secondary 9/8, fee 9/14, received e-mail for completion 9/29

interview invite here today. i was complete over a month ago. i'm surprised they don't give you a choice of days. Interviewing on halloween! trick or treat?

Congrats! I have been complete since 9/7, hopefully I will hear something soon.

Info in my MDApps. Congrats to everyone with interviews and best of luck to those still waiting!

Congrats! I have been complete since 9/7, hopefully I will hear something soon.

Samesies

2eyx952.jpg

Those of you who have interviewed- When did they tell you that you should expect to hear back with a decision? I interview Monday and I'm wondering how long after that I will have to wait.

interview invite here today. i was complete over a month ago. i'm surprised they don't give you a choice of days. Interviewing on halloween! trick or treat?

I think that means you get to wear your Halloween costume to the interview instead of the normal suit attire :laugh:

Those of you who have interviewed- When did they tell you that you should expect to hear back with a decision? I interview Monday and I'm wondering how long after that I will have to wait.

They said they we should hear a decision within 2 weeks on the interview. The send their decisions through snail mail, so be sure to look out for it!

Hey, can someone in the school please verify with me..
Does PCOM have a cutoff for mcat subscores? I have a 27 with 6 verbal, and a gpa of 3.86, and I'm not sure if I should even bother to apply.
It'd be great if anyone can get back to me before I use up my 50 bucks for their secondary. Thanks!

You should definitely apply. I have friends that have gotten a six in verbal. you have a great gpa and did great on the other sections of the mcat. Good luck :)

Sorry I didn't mention that I go to pcom. If you have any other questions feel free to ask :)

For those who have gotten interviews or are current students, how many of you are from California or other nearby states? Just asking since I heard that there's somewhat of a big regional bias..

Thanks a lot for the encouragement, beeDOodle. I'll def give it a shot, and keep you posted if I ever get some love from PCOM!

Sorry I didn't mention that I go to pcom. If you have any other questions feel free to ask :)

For those who have gotten interviews or are current students, how many of you are from California or other nearby states? Just asking since I heard that there's somewhat of a big regional bias..

Definitely a big regional bias. That being said, I know of at least 4 people from Cali in my class.

-Tallscrubs

I'm from CA and have interviewed this cycle. Though I kind of fall into the nontraditional category, my best advice is to apply as early as possible and make sure you communciate your commitment to medicine. From talking to students in current classes it sounds like the number of CA students hovers around 4-5 per class.

I'm from CA and have interviewed this cycle. Though I kind of fall into the nontraditional category, my best advice is to apply as early as possible and make sure you communciate your commitment to medicine. From talking to students in current classes it sounds like the number of CA students hovers around 4-5 per class.

There are many more than 4-5 from Cali per class. Although I'm sure it varies my class has a large number if people from Cali

Definitely a big regional bias. That being said, I know of at least 4 people from Cali in my class.

-Tallscrubs

I'm not sure that PCOM has a HUGE bias. Just like most schools, more people from the immediate area apply as opposed to people from the opposite coast. Therefore there are going to be more in state residents than from CA.

Received my complete email back on 9/6 and haven't heard anything back yet. Getting a little anxious :bang:

OOS btw....not that hearing any news of regional bias makes me feel any more assured.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that PCOM has a HUGE bias. Just like most schools, more people from the immediate area apply as opposed to people from the opposite coast. Therefore there are going to be more in state residents than from CA.

~70% of class is from PA, so roughly 189 of the 270 are from PA. I am not certain of this, but I can definitely speculate that PA residents didn't make up 70% of all applications to PCOM.

Combine that with our Dean of Admissions saying that they have an in-state bias leads me to believe that they have an in-state bias.

~70% of class is from PA, so roughly 189 of the 270 are from PA. I am not certain of this, but I can definitely speculate that PA residents didn't make up 70% of all applications to PCOM.

Combine that with our Dean of Admissions saying that they have an in-state bias leads me to believe that they have an in-state bias.

:( there go my chances

There definitely is an in-state bias because PCOM wants its graduates to stick around PA/NY/NJ/DE area.

But to all you out-of-state'rs, I wouldn't lose hope if your application is strong. If you have a weak application, then don't keep your hopes up.

Not trying to sound discouraging, just being realistic.

Interview invite yesterday!! OOS 33Q 3.75 s&c

ACCEPTED!!! Love this school! :soexcited::soexcited:

ACCEPTED!!! Love this school! :soexcited::soexcited:

Hey, first off CONGRATS!!!!

when did you interview btw? I'm at my parents and the letter is supposed to arrive at my campus address which I checked yesterday but didn't have anything.

Hey, first off CONGRATS!!!!

when did you interview btw? I'm at my parents and the letter is supposed to arrive at my campus address which I checked yesterday but didn't have anything.

Interviewed on September 21st. Good luck to you :thumbup:

congrats!

are u a PA resident? I'm OOS and was in the first group so I'm super anxious!

I am a PA resident (I grew up/home address 45-50 minutes from PCOM). Hopefully your letter comes in today or tomorrow!!

Accepted!!! Interview was on 9/26!
Stats: MCAT 24 (so there is hope for those with low scores!! just have excellent references and activities, volunteer etc) overall GPA 3.68

CONGRATS!! i interviewed on 9/28. Did the acceptances come in a small or big envelope?!

Small envelope!! I was very nervous when I saw it, since I thought acceptances came in the full-size envelope!