Philadelphia-area school applicants 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm sorry to hear that applicant 14. Still hope for Philly u though! Did TJU contact you through email or mail?
thanks lcs! through email.

Members don't see this ad.

Just curious-- has anyone received any REJECTIONS from Philly U or USciences? I don't remember seeing any rejections from these two colleges. When I emailed them a few weeks back they said I would hear a decision in 3-4 weeks or mid February. (Feb 17-24 according to USciences). Philly U seems to have made their acceptances already based on what they sent me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think they are making up the wait list.

Just got my rejection from TJU too (email). Havent heard from PhilaU or Usciences still but the weekend program isnt for me and for USciences I would still have to take Physics as a pre-req sooo looks like Salus it is! I'm happy with it. Just glad the wait is over.

I still haven't heard yet from TJU, but so far its looking like I'll be attending Salus too! Pretty excited. Have you heard any news on when they'll be accredited? Last I heard when I was there in December was they'd know sometime in March.

-applicant14

Thank you, and sorry to hear that (even though you weren't crazy about the program) I hope you get into your school of choice! Best of luck!!

Reactions: 1 user
I still haven't heard yet from TJU, but so far its looking like I'll be attending Salus too! Pretty excited. Have you heard any news on when they'll be accredited? Last I heard when I was there in December was they'd know sometime in March.

Yeah i heard the same too, in March most likely- they said it was like 99% that they would get accredited so i'm not too worried (knock on wood!) I interviewed in December too

thanks otgirllie!

lcs, my undergrad gpa is horrible: 2.71
my mom died my jr yr of hs, then my dad died in soph yr of undergrad. looking at my trans. you can see where I plummeted when he died, then worked back up to straight As.
prereq: 3.67
mat: 421 (81st percentile)
I worked for 3 years as a clinical manager in a residential crisis unit for kids with autism and volunteered with abi and in a hospital setting.

I knew this was a long shot, but this is the perfect career for me, and I'm perfect for this field. was hoping against hope that they would see that despite the gpa... on to plan b, whatever that is...

I knew this was a long shot, but this is the perfect career for me, and I'm perfect for this field. was hoping against hope that they would see that despite the gpa... on to plan b, whatever that is...

Well someone just posted on the forum they were accepted into Boston U with a 2.7 GPA, so it is possible! I would think most schools would be understanding of your situation, you're clearly a strong person to have made it this far, so if OT is what you really want to do you may just have to try to strengthen your application as much as possible (maybe retake some prereqs you didn't get an A in? Do more OT observation/volunteering? Have a lot of people, including OTs, edit your essay for you?) and apply to a greater amount of programs next year. You could also pursue the OTA path. I know how hard and frustrating applying is, I decided I wanted to go into OT 2 years ago and have been working towards it ever since. Good luck and if its what you really want to do, don't give up!

thanks, lcs! I really appreciate your encouragement! I did also apply last year, but by the time the schools got my mat score it was mid January! I was on the wait list for Philly u so I was really hoping that since I applied asap this year I would get in. I spoke with Anita from pu while I was on the list, she actually told me they don't look at volunteer hours so much, as long as you meet the requirement, it's more for the applicants to make sure they know what they're getting into. I attempted to retake stats last summer (I spent fall and spring taking the a&ps) but it was an accelerated distance learning class and I had to drop it. my options are limited at this point bc I'm 30, married with a house and two preschool aged kids. my husband's schedule is all overthe place and he works 12hrs a day. I stay home with the kids. finances and time are limited. worst part is, I failed stats the first time bc that was the semester my dad passed, then I retook it immediately the next semester and got a c. I guess I'll wait to hear about Philly u's wait list this year, and start calculating plan b more intensely. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I committed to Temple.... Anyone else?!

I sent in my deposit! But I'm still deciding between Temple and Pitt. I'm visiting both soon. :)

I sent in my deposit! But I'm still deciding between Temple and Pitt. I'm visiting both soon. :)
Both great schools but personally I'd rather live in Philly and its at least a bit warmer in Philly vs. Pittsburgh. But great choices to be deciding between congrats! I've heard fantastic things about both programs!

Thanks! I've never been to either city so I cannot wait to visit. I heard great things about Temple's program. Really happy to talk to possible future classmates! How exciting is this. :) Have you guys started to check out any housing options yet?

how many Philly u applicants have received any news? I think I've heard of one person getting an acceptance last week. I haven't gotten any news from them yet.

Anyone hear good or bad from Jefferson in the last week or so??

-coolrunnins
I still haven't heard anything and I want to email Don Sharples again but I also don't because of the bad weather going on. I feel like I would annoy him because I emailed him in January and he told me already that they are making decisions in February.

Either way its still absurd the way this process is going =/

Nothing here either. I am going to visit Philly on Friday(weather depending) and I wanted to see TJ while I was there, so I was really hoping to hear something this week, good or bad. Last year their EMOT class was filled by Feb 20th.

I was rejected to Jefferson... In the email sent out they mention all of their requirements such as GRE and GPA and said that I must have not met one of them.... But I did meet both of those requirements :( my friend was also denied and emailed Don. He said that they are accepting 40 or so and they recieved over 900 applications!!

Still waiting on Jefferson... I applied to the BS/MS program so I don't know if those decisions are going to go out around the same time... But I sure hope there aren't that many applicants to fill the 20 spots in that program too!!

-eeny
I was just thinking the exact same thing ! I also applied for that program and am patiently waiting (like I have a choice) =) ..... if you don't mind me asking what are your plans if you don't end up going to Jefferson for the combined program ?!

I haven't heard either. Jefferson has asked me to keep then updated on my grades in anatomy and physiology that I am taking now. I feel like they'll never make a decision on me and I'll just find out I got rejected in April or May :/

Well I'm currently an undergrad student at Temple, so if I don't get into the BS/MS I'm going to get my Bachelors in psych here and then apply to MOT programs when I graduate in two years! I don't know if I have a shot because I still have a few prereqs to do (I can do them over the summer) and am in the middle of completing my observation hours. However, I came from NYU and have a 3.7 GPA and a lot of background volunteering in similar fields so it's a toss up. It's making me so nervous!!

Yeah I am pretty lost idk what to think anymore. I am also taking prereqs right now and am scheduled for my second A&p in the summer (which is the only class I have left). I have 3.4 I thought it was a great gpa till I joined this site. Its amazing to me how great some people done! I have 85 hrs volunteering and an active memember of some clubs (co-president of one). Also did some leadership orientations for new students entering college.

But who knows lol I wish you the best of luck though. if I dont get in ill be going to chestnuthill for psychology =)

Yeah I am pretty lost idk what to think anymore. I am also taking prereqs right now and am scheduled for my second A&p in the summer (which is the only class I have left). I have 3.4 I thought it was a great gpa till I joined this site. Its amazing to me how great some people done! I have 85 hrs volunteering and an active memember of some clubs (co-president of one). Also did some leadership orientations for new students entering college.

But who knows lol I wish you the best of luck though. if I dont get in ill be going to chestnuthill for psychology =)

I'm glad I'm not the only one still doing prereqs! Good luck to you too and hopefully I'll be seeing you next semester at Jefferson!!

Just got my waitlist email from TJ. Finally something!

I just got an email that I was waitlisted as well. Considering someone said they got over 900 applications its still pretty exciting!

I just got waitlisted, too! I wish they stated the rankings or at least how many applicants are being placed on the waitlist...

Also waitlisted. I'll be declining my spot on the list so I hope that helps one of you get in!!

I guess today was waitlist day at Jefferson. I also was waitlisted for the bs/ms program and have no idea how this works, but I keep hearing negative things about it. Is there any way to find out where you are on the waitlist or when they will be making decisions off of that?

TJ waitlisted.

anyone noticed that their title for the e-mail link says "Physical Therapy Waitlist Decision"? Is it just my e-mail or did TJ make a mistake or what?

To those of you that were wait listed at TJ... What were your GRE scores and GPAs?

TJ waitlisted.

anyone noticed that their title for the e-mail link says "Physical Therapy Waitlist Decision"? Is it just my e-mail or did TJ make a mistake or what?

I saw that as well, must have been a mistake. I just changed the subject line in my response to read "Occupational Therapy Waitlist Decision" instead.

To those of you that were wait listed at TJ... What were your GRE scores and GPAs?

Overall GPA: 3.16, AU 3.21
Prereq GPA: 4.o
GRE: V 161 M 152 AW 4.5

When I first got my GRE scores I contacted them to ask if they were okay, because I was worried since the 152 is technically 49th percentile and I knew they want 50th and over...I was told it was fine because they were looking for a score of 150 or above in both categories. Hope that helps!

Overall GPA: 3.42

Sorry no GRE score for yah ... I was applying for the bs/ms (didn't have to take them). Good luck though!!

I emailed Don again because he requested that I keep him updated on my shadowing hours, and he said he'd be in touch within two weeks with a decision. Didn't get a waitlist email so I'm hoping that's a good sign? No idea if they sent out rejections for the BS/MS program yet or not.

I finally heard from TJ and Philadelphia today!! I was also waitlisted at TJ, and rejected from Philadelphia. I am going to decline my waitlist spot at TJ and attend Temple. I am glad to have finally heard from everyone. Now I can stop obsessively checking my email.