Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:xf:if there are dates next to your stuff that means they received everything...calling wont do anything. they don't tell you anything on the phone. ii's come through emails so just pray for that my friend. I know I am. been complete since August 20th:xf::xf::xf::xf::xf:

Members don't see this ad.

Same here. Still waiting.

Sent from my DROID3 using SDN Mobile

can anyone help me out? i interviewed with marsha williams and another woman and for the life of me i was so nervous i didnt remember her name. does anyone remember it? help a brother out? :) good luck everyone!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
:xf:if there are dates next to your stuff that means they received everything...calling wont do anything. they don't tell you anything on the phone. ii's come through emails so just pray for that my friend. I know I am. been complete since August 20th:xf::xf::xf::xf::xf:

Confirmed. I got a rather curt, unsigned, unaddressed email when I asked for an update.

Does anybody know the sectional breakdown for MCAT of accepted students at PCOM? I know the average is 28 but are they looking for a minimum in each section? Do they only count the highest MCAT or do they average all exams?

Is the class nearly full?

Last edited:
Roughly 10 years ago, I was in your shoes, applying to multiple schools, going to interviews, and hoping that at least one school will give me a chance to become a doctor. While I got multiple acceptances, PCOM was the one I really wanted. 10 years ago, this month (I believe, could have been last month), I opened a small letter inviting me to join the PCOM community. I was so happy I could not focus on any of my classes that day nor study for an upcoming midterm that night.

Congrats to those who got accepted, and good luck to those who are waiting to hear back. It is an amazing school, with lots of opportunities, lots of traditions, and great education. It laid a very strong foundation for me and help shape the type of physician that I became.

And it is good to hear that Ms. Debbie is still there. I heard rumors a few years ago that she had retired. And while AACOMAS was available back in my time, all correspondences were by snail mail. Just realize some of you might have been in middle school when I received my PCOM acceptances :eek:

Good luck to all ... Maybe I will encounter you guys during your clinical rotation (I should be an attending by then)

Roughly 10 years ago, I was in your shoes, applying to multiple schools, going to interviews, and hoping that at least one school will give me a chance to become a doctor. While I got multiple acceptances, PCOM was the one I really wanted. 10 years ago, this month (I believe, could have been last month), I opened a small letter inviting me to join the PCOM community. I was so happy I could not focus on any of my classes that day nor study for an upcoming midterm that night.

Congrats to those who got accepted, and good luck to those who are waiting to hear back. It is an amazing school, with lots of opportunities, lots of traditions, and great education. It laid a very strong foundation for me and help shape the type of physician that I became.

And it is good to hear that Ms. Debbie is still there. I heard rumors a few years ago that she had retired. And while AACOMAS was available back in my time, all correspondences were by snail mail. Just realize some of you might have been in middle school when I received my PCOM acceptances :eek:

Good luck to all ... Maybe I will encounter you guys during your clinical rotation (I should be an attending by then)

Thank you for sharing this! Great to know that everything worked out for you :) :thumbup:

Last edited:
I think I royally eff-ed up my application by sending in the wrong rec. letter addressed to another school via Interfolio.

Back in August, I intended to send the pre-med committee letter only. However, just a moment ago I just checked their website and realized that they also received another professional letter beside the committee letter. I'm freaking out right now. What to do??

I was going to quote the email I sent them and their reply...until I read the confidentiality notice. They said something along the lines of that if my application is complete, I won't get any updates. I should just follow the directions in the secondary app email. They didn't even address me by name :/

I was going to quote the email I sent them and their reply...until I read the confidentiality notice. They said something along the lines of that if my application is complete, I won't get any updates. I should just follow the directions in the secondary app email. They didn't even address me by name :/

Yep, that's the one lol

Does anybody know the sectional breakdown for MCAT of accepted students at PCOM? I know the average is 28 but are they looking for a minimum in each section? Do they only cound the highest score?

Is the class nearly full?

I'd love to learn about this, too.

I can't imagine the class is anywhere close to full. PCOM has a large class of over 250 students. They only started interviewing Mid September I believe. They probably haven't even interviewed as many people as there are seats in the class. Schools Interview through march into April. It's still early in the cycle. I don't think any schools class is full prior to the spring. Everyone on here is ahead of the curve in terms of getting applications in and getting interviews. Don't be intimidated or discouraged by the other people getting interviews and acceptances. This is a small self selecting sample that is not representative of the pool of applicants.

When I called, I was told that it was okay to use the same essay for both secondaries to PCOM and PCOM-Ga. But it was a pretty quick phone call and I don't know that the admissions person really understood my question.

I think I'll call them again. When I visited at an open house a few months ago, they said call us for any reason. We love hearing from our applicants, is what they told us. Maybe I'll try to get in touch with Debbie next time. She's really nice and helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
has PCOM sent out interviews for early December yet? id really like an invite from this school

Last edited:
Same. Even though I have two acceptances, I have heard GREAT things about this place and would love to visit it.

has PCOM sent out interviews for early December yet? id really like an invite from this school

hey, I was at the morning November 5th interview session as well! were you one of us who went to that awesome ob/gyn lecture? ;) Loved it there. Loved Ms. Debbie; I wanted to take her home with me. Enjoyed my interview, even if I was a little nervous! My interview was pretty much as described here (and previously in this thread.) Nothing to add other than this school is amazing, and I would love to get an acceptance, as I would immediately accept and start planning my life in Philly. I also thought everyone who was at the morning interview was really fun to talk to; I hope to see all of you next year! :luck:

yeah I went to the lecture. She was hilarious. Too bad they said all their lectures aren't all like that.

Hey man, about 2 weeks ago or so I got an interview for December 5th. Anyone else going on that date? Im pretty nervous about the whole thing.

Best of luck to everyone.
z

So in interview, there's one person from administration and the other one is a DO or a student ? Is that rgt?

So in interview, there's one person from administration and the other one is a DO or a student ? Is that rgt?

There was one faculty (PhD) and one PCOM alum in mine. Both extremely nice and relaxed.

Thanks! I have interview on 28th nov. bit nervous

They certainly do, as I am one of 'em. December 5th, I believe :)

A bit terrified and excited. Two acceptances thus far but PCOM is my very last interview this cycle and by far, the most emotionally vested. WHAT TO DO.

They certainly do, as I am one of 'em. December 5th, I believe :)

A bit terrified and excited. Two acceptances thus far but PCOM is my very last interview this cycle and by far, the most emotionally vested. WHAT TO DO.
are you in state or OOS

Interviewed here early November and can't wait to hear back. I thought it was a great school, and the interview was really laid back. Good luck to everyone going for interviews in the next few weeks - remember to relax!

can anyone help me out? i interviewed with marsha williams and another woman and for the life of me i was so nervous i didnt remember her name. does anyone remember it? help a brother out? :) good luck everyone!!!

I did the same thing. I called the next day and was able to get the name of my interviewers.

Anyone happen to know when the Admission committee meets this month? The last one was right before my interview at the end of October so just trying to see if I may hear something before Thanksgiving.

Anyone happen to know when the Admission committee meets this month? The last one was right before my interview at the end of October so just trying to see if I may hear something before Thanksgiving.

+1, that would be nice :D

me too ! keep up the faith ! complete in 28Sep GO on PCOM give me some loves:love:

don't know when they meet, but they told us who interviewed November 5th that we'd hear from them before the end of the month. So I expect we'll all know 2 weeks from now at the very latest.

Checking the mail eagerly every day until then :xf:

I interviewed on nov. 8th and they said we would know prior to the Thanksgiving holiday.

I was mistaken. They sent decisions out Nov. 14, 2012. I live 20 min away so I just received the decision today. Best luck everyone! I hope to see a lot of you next year.

I was mistaken. They sent decisions out Nov. 14, 2012. I live 20 min away so I just received the decision today. Best luck everyone! I hope to see a lot of you next year.

Congratulations! Oh man that means mine's in the mail now. Gah!:scared:

Congratulations! Oh man that means mine's in the mail now. Gah!:scared:

Congrats!
Oh man, I live in Jersey... nervous! :scared:
They send you something no matter if you got accepted or waitlisted, right?

Congrats!
Oh man, I live in Jersey... nervous! :scared:
They send you something no matter if you got accepted or waitlisted, right?

That's what they said. Yours could be there by tomorrow. Mine will take a litte longer to get to RI.

Would you mind Sharing some interview questions!

Thank you sfn and DC! I have my fingers-crossed for you guys. Ptdo, the interview is open file. They asked questions specific to your file and ask for elaboration. It is pretty chill. Other than reviewing your AACOMAS app., I would know about osteopathic medicine and why you want to be an osteopath in the future. I would make the answer personal to you and not generic because the committee has heard every generic answer in the book. Good luck!

I am so proud of you all.

Who has yet to interview? What are your stats?

All of these acceptances are making me antsy.

me too!! interviewed in the morning on Nov 5th!! :) can't wait - already mailed my deposit

After doing a lot of thinking and talking things over with my family, I believe I've made my final school decision and will be withdrawing. Good luck to everyone!

Interview invite recently, but withdrew because I got into my top DO school. Good luck, hope someone who wants it bad gets it! :xf:

Just got my letter in the mail and I will be heading to PCOM for school next year. Woohooo!

Hey guys! I am looking for some feedback here. I recently got accepted to PCOM (along with 2 other DO schools) and cant make a decision! I was very disappointed at the whole interview day. I felt like it was very disorganized, and not well planned. I did not feel like I learned much about the school at all. I did not like the fact that there are ~280 students per class, elbow to elbow in a tight lecture hall. We did not meet any of the faculty member there, only the financial aid, director of admissions, and the interviewers. In addition, their curriculum does not incorporate biochem, genetics, anatomy and physiology. I mean is there something I am missing here? Because looking at the curriculum they gave us during the interview I did not see any of these basic science classes at all. In addition, I really felt like the first year med students were SUPER young! I mean did they just graduate from high school and get into med school? obviously not but I felt a bit misplaced although I am 23 myself. The OMM room was SUPER crowded, the anatomy lab was huge! I mean how does one student build a relationship with the professors in such a huge class? I would hate to take an exam in that tiny lecture with 270 students elbowing me from left and right. Dont get me wrong, I am trying to fall in love with this school but everything I said here was based on what ive seen on interview day. Is there something I am missing?

Hey guys! I am looking for some feedback here. I recently got accepted to PCOM (along with 2 other DO schools) and cant make a decision! I was very disappointed at the whole interview day. I felt like it was very disorganized, and not well planned. I did not feel like I learned much about the school at all. I did not like the fact that there are ~280 students per class, elbow to elbow in a tight lecture hall. We did not meet any of the faculty member there, only the financial aid, director of admissions, and the interviewers. In addition, their curriculum does not incorporate biochem, genetics, anatomy and physiology. I mean is there something I am missing here? Because looking at the curriculum they gave us during the interview I did not see any of these basic science classes at all. In addition, I really felt like the first year med students were SUPER young! I mean did they just graduate from high school and get into med school? obviously not but I felt a bit misplaced although I am 23 myself. The OMM room was SUPER crowded, the anatomy lab was huge! I mean how does one student build a relationship with the professors in such a huge class? I would hate to take an exam in that tiny lecture with 270 students elbowing me from left and right. Dont get me wrong, I am trying to fall in love with this school but everything I said here was based on what ive seen on interview day. Is there something I am missing?

Hey pal, they are changing the curriculum for the better next year :) don't worry

Also, if you go online and check out the Catalog, it gives info on the courses and the curriculum and it seems that biochem, genetics, and A&P are all included. How could they not be?