Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I went through before curricular changes. Your first trimester is anatomy and not much else. You need that much time for it. Having other stuff packed on top would be difficult. You're in an adjustment cycle. Regarding the lab, yes there are 45+ bodies, but the instructors rotate weekly. They're assigned to a certain number of tables and cycle around during your lab time. By the end I felt comfortable in knowing what they'd ask, how they'd ask, and what not to ask them (to avoid a litany of questioning ;)).

You're not sitting next to each other in exams. Both lecture halls are used during exams so you have a seat in between you.

After the first few weeks lectures won't be as crowded because people will stop going to class.

The OMM labs aren't crowded. I sometimes wished there were more people so I could avoid being put on the spot at times.

Most students are young. Most go through college and immediately into medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

Didn't submit my secondary yet for financial reasons...do you guys think it is still too late to apply?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wondering why no love from PCOM yet :( 3.4, 28Q<, PA resident. AHHHH i cant wait anymore...

Wondering why no love from PCOM yet :( 3.4, 28Q<, PA resident. AHHHH i cant wait anymore...

When was your application complete? I've got similar stats, but I'm not a PA resident. I'm waiting too. I was complete in early November.

When was your application complete? I've got similar stats, but I'm not a PA resident. I'm waiting too. I was complete in early November.

I have similar stats and have been complete since 8/7...still waiting :(

I am a Canadian and was complete on october 12th and have not heard a word so far..
I know PCOM is not particularly Canadian friendly but it is my first choice!
I was wondering if it would be okay for me to call and ask or should I hold off for another month and send in an academic update when fall term marks come out.?
Oh and my stats are 3.66 and 29MCAT.

I created a PCOM-Philadelphia Class of 2017 under the medical forum. I figured people can discuss roommates, apartments, and such (like how awesome it is going to be living in Philly ; ) ).

Does anyone know how often PCOM admins meet to review applications?

Sorry for the above statement. I didn't mean to rub anything in anyone's faces. I just have a lot of time on my hands and felt like I should do something. I did the biomed program not too long ago at PCOM. I think the admissions committee meets once a month. I was complete in early Sept. and interviewed in November. I know that the waiting period bites. Honestly, it doesn't matter when you get the interview. A friend of mine got one of the last interviews and wasn't accepted until a few days before class began. Also, I went to an open house and I think a student was Canadian. Have faith. I'll have my fingers-crossed for everyone.

anyone going to be there with me? PM me if anyone wants to say whats up before the session or whatever. look forward to meeting everyone, im so excited for the whole event.
z

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anybody received an interview invite from PCOM lately? If so, what date did you get notified of your ii?

Last edited:
anyone going to be there with me? PM me if anyone wants to say whats up before the session or whatever. look forward to meeting everyone, im so excited for the whole event.
z

Good luck!! :thumbup::luck::xf: :)

Does anyone know how often PCOM admins meet to review applications?
I just interviewed yesterday (12/3), and I was told that they review applications every two weeks and we should receive a decision in the mail by next wednesday.

Still waiting for an II from here. Isn't a 30 above their average? I also submitted mid Sept to Early Oct.

Can any of the current OMS I or IIs comment on the clinical experiences that are offered. I know PCOM doesn't have their own hospital, so are you able to do on-site learning at any hospitals during the first and second year? I ask because many of my friends are in M.D. programs and this is something that they do starting from the first week of school (go in groups with a physician and present and ask patients questions) and I was curious if this was also done in D.O. programs. Thanks for your answers.

Just interviewed today. Had an amazing experience and met a very friendly class of applicants and current students. Good luck to everyone. Hopefully we hear good news soon
z

Does this school send completed e-mails to applicants when everything is good to be reviewed? I haven't received anything from PA campus, but have received a completed e-mail from georgia.

Does this school send completed e-mails to applicants when everything is good to be reviewed? I haven't received anything from PA campus, but have received a completed e-mail from georgia.

From what I understand, no. You receive an email letting you know that the application has been processed. Basically, based on what I've read here, the consensus seems to be that you're complete once a date has been recorded beside each requirement on the log-in screen. I have been confused by the "Status" column that seems to be blank, but the email is pretty clear that they'll contact you for an interview if you're selected for one.

Trust me, you're not the only one who is anxious. I'm really hoping for an II. I was put at ease somewhat during a recent interview when another student remarked that he hasn't heard back from PCOM yet. I guess no news is sort of good news.

Can anyone shine some light on this concern? I'd like a second opinion too.

Hey guys, I did not receive a Complete email from PCOM-Philly. I did receive a ii. Good luck to everyone.

Can any of the current OMS I or IIs comment on the clinical experiences that are offered. I know PCOM doesn't have their own hospital, so are you able to do on-site learning at any hospitals during the first and second year? I ask because many of my friends are in M.D. programs and this is something that they do starting from the first week of school (go in groups with a physician and present and ask patients questions) and I was curious if this was also done in D.O. programs. Thanks for your answers.
I am not an OMS I or II (but accepted to PCOM and will be going). There is a booklet they gave us during the interview that describes your life as a med student at PCOM. So the answer to your question is yes. Doctors from day one!

To anyone who got accepted, do they send a confirmation email when they receive your new student form and check? I sent my stuff in on tuesday, I hope it didn't get lost in the mail... the deadline is next week

Is the class size at this school something around 260? I thought I heard that from somewhere which is huuuge! TCOM is 230 so I guess it's not all that uncommon.

To anyone who got accepted, do they send a confirmation email when they receive your new student form and check? I sent my stuff in on tuesday, I hope it didn't get lost in the mail... the deadline is next week

yes they do send u an email.

Hey! I had this same problem, I was wondering where my email was. Turns out they were sending it to an older email account I had contacted them with last year. Might want to check other accounts? Otherwise call them and ask them to check that they received it (I also did that.)

Rejected
3.5/ 3.57 sGPA/ 28 IS
Interviewed 11/28
Letter dated: 12/5

Good luck to the rest of you

Received an acceptance letter today.

3.3gpa/3.2sgpa/26 mcat.

Losing hope here. Complete around mid-Oct. I was expecting an invite within 2 months from the date of completion but no love from PCOM yet..

Losing hope here. Complete around mid-Oct. I was expecting an invite within 2 months from the date of completion but no love from PCOM yet..

I am in the same boat went complete 11/9.....still waiting...terrible!!!:confused::confused::(

Hey all! I just received my acceptance today (interviewed 11/28, 31Q, 3.7GPA) - woowoo class of 2017! I know someone mentioned an online forum for accepted students, but is there any sort of facebook group as well?

For those of you still waiting, keep your head up! This was my second round of applications, and after 3 MCATs, I finally got that dreamy letter in the mail. Your time will come too, just keep fighting for your dream!

Hi everyone!

Interviewing Jan 14 and I'm just looking for any interview tips. Somewhat surprised that I got an interview, so I want to be extremely prepared since PCOM has a great program. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Don't lose hope yet. Complete August. Got the ii 4 days ago. 3.5 cgpa, 3.4 sgpa 24P

Thats a great news. I hope both of us hear good news soon. Good luck with your intvw.

PCOM is my number one choice...waiting on an interview invite is killing me!!!!

Does this school send rejections preinterview through email, mail or do they silent reject? This wait is killing me.

So if you can see they received the $250 deposit and received a welcome e-mail-(even though it didn't specifically say it was confirmation of receiving deposit) its all good right? no need to bug them just to be sure before the Friday deadline?

Does this school send rejections preinterview through email, mail or do they silent reject? This wait is killing me.

PCOM sends pre-interview rejections at the end of the season, by snail mail.

Hi everyone!

Interviewing Jan 14 and I'm just looking for any interview tips. Somewhat surprised that I got an interview, so I want to be extremely prepared since PCOM has a great program. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Look through earlier posts in this thread; people have already posted a lot of helpful info that was pretty spot on in my interview :)

Primary released 10/18
Confirmation email 10/19
Secondary application request 10/19
Secondary sent 10/21
Secondary app acknowledged/processed 10/25
Interview invite 12/10

Interview date January 4 12pm :xf: