Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:=|:-): ladies and gents!

I withdrew from PCOM a while ago, but have a non sequitur I'd like to throw out there: I've been posting in the Philly school specific threads to see if anyone might be interested in lending me a couch/guest room while I'm in Philly from July 2nd to July 10th visiting my girlfriend. Please PM me if you'd be so kind and trusting. I have SDN references that have met me in person that can vouch for me; I promise I'm not a murderer, rapist, thief, or an otherwise boisterously annoying fellow from the intergoogles...but I am currently sporting a nice creeper stash and tons of tattoos. :)

Cheers and good luck to those still waiting for word! :hello:

Members don't see this ad.

:=|:-): ladies and gents!

I withdrew from PCOM a while ago, but have a non sequitur I'd like to throw out there: I've been posting in the Philly school specific threads to see if anyone might be interested in lending me a couch/guest room while I'm in Philly from July 2nd to July 10th visiting my girlfriend. Please PM me if you'd be so kind and trusting. I have SDN references that have met me in person that can vouch for me; I promise I'm not a murderer, rapist, thief, or an otherwise boisterously annoying fellow from the intergoogles...but I am currently sporting a nice creeper stash and tons of tattoos. :)

Cheers and good luck to those still waiting for word! :hello:

Wait.
Why can't you stay with your girlfriend?

Last edited:
Wait.
Why can't you stay with your girlfriend?
She's 19 and home with her parents for the summer. We decided to split a hotel/motel room. We just didn't want to stay around her parents for a week. LoL

I'm going back and deleting all my posts now.

Members don't see this ad :)
My D.O that I'm shadowing went to PCOM and he's going to write me a letter of rec. Do you think this will help ? Also I'm a double major and my current GPA is around a 3.7 with my science GPA being around a 3.6. What's the minimum mcat score I should get to have a chance at PCOM ?

You have a good GPA. A 27+ with good letters of recommendation and ECs would get you a pretty good shot. Apply early to help your chances.

Accepted off the waitlist today!
Where do you live and when was the letter dated for. would you mind telling us. I know they just recently sent out a few acceptances

Where do you live and when was the letter dated for. would you mind telling us. I know they just recently sent out a few acceptances

To answer your questions, I am from Pittsburgh and the acceptance letter was dated 6/5 and arrive on 6/7.

where from pittsburgh! I am on the waitlist and from pittsburgh also. What were your stats if you dont mind me asking?

Ah I guesss no go for me this time. Last time I got it within 4 days in NJ. Thanks though and congratulations again.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know PCOM says that they recommend at least an 8 on each section. I got a 6 on a section with a 26 overall. Should I still apply?

I know PCOM says that they recommend at least an 8 on each section. I got a 6 on a section with a 26 overall. Should I still apply?

Yes still apply. People were interviewed with a 6 in a section last year. People were accepted with less than an 8 in a section. It's a recommendation but not a requirement.

Yes still apply. People were interviewed with a 6 in a section last year. People were accepted with less than an 8 in a section. It's a recommendation but not a requirement.
Ok will do! Thanks a lot!

Anyone know when the committee meets to render a decision on an open seat ?

Hey guys. I was wondering if you could let us know how your interviews went. I will hopefully be interviewing at PCOM this year and I would like to prepare. Congratulations to everyone who got in last year. I look forward to meeting you next year I hope! :)

Anyone know if Lincoln Green Apartments are furnished ?

This was a great place to interview this past year. The admissions receptionist was so friendly and welcoming, and congratulated us for getting this far. Everyone was put at ease. The interview was with one faculty member and one current medical student. It was an open file interview so all your information was available to them as they asked questions. The interview itself took about 1/2 hour. I believe it will help your cause if you have a DO letter of recommendation. I was lucky enough to get accepted. The facilities and atmosphere is awesome!

Hi , I was wondering what are the chances of getting into PCOM without a DO letter and being an OOS applicant.

Here are my stats:
3.64 cgpa 3.72 sgpa
MCAT: 29
CA resident
800 hrs MD shadowing
2000+ hrs of research
300 hrs of other volunteering
LOR: 2 science prof, 1 MD, 1 PI letter

PCOM is definitely my first choice.

Thanks in advance

What are PCOM secondary application essays for 2014 incoming class? and the word/character limit? I would like to start writing while I am waiting for my AACOMAS app to be processed... Thank you much, comrade.

Hi , I was wondering what are the chances of getting into PCOM without a DO letter and being an OOS applicant.

Here are my stats:
3.64 cgpa 3.72 sgpa
MCAT: 29
CA resident
800 hrs MD shadowing
2000+ hrs of research
300 hrs of other volunteering
LOR: 2 science prof, 1 MD, 1 PI letter

PCOM is definitely my first choice.

Thanks in advance

Your stats look good. Being out of state isn't a huge deal, there are several people in my class from CA.

DO letters seem to be a bigger deal to some interviewers than they are to others. Why not try to get a DO letter? Or at least do a little shadowing so you can talk about it in an interview.

Your stats look good. Being out of state isn't a huge deal, there are several people in my class from CA.

DO letters seem to be a bigger deal to some interviewers than they are to others. Why not try to get a DO letter? Or at least do a little shadowing so you can talk about it in an interview.

From what I've heard 50% of the school is from PA and the rest mostly from bordering states.

You should check the website at pcom.edu they changed their letter requirement this year

Hi,

I just got a letter post interview (feb 27th) that they are delaying their decision until April when interview season is over. Do you recommend I send a letter of intent now? It's my number one and Ive been accepted to two other schools but pcom is where I want to be.

Posting in last year's thread thinking one of you may have insight or been in my shoes!

Hi,

I just got a letter post interview (feb 27th) that they are delaying their decision until April when interview season is over. Do you recommend I send a letter of intent now? It's my number one and Ive been accepted to two other schools but pcom is where I want to be.

Does anyone know how full the class is yet? I've been waiting for an interview but I haven't heard anything yet. Should I call the school and find out if there is any update? Or should I just sit tight?

Posting in last year's thread thinking one of you may have insight or been in my shoes!

You should probably ask someone in the current year thread who has interviewed. I wish I asked but Im sure plenty of people who interview do ask .