Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
At advice for an interviewer? I read some of the summaries. The 2-on-1 seems a little stressful.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I understand how two interviewers can be intimating but use it to your advantage and make eye contact with both as you speak. Make sure you ask them their role at pcom so u can ask them each question based on that. And just be honest and smile. No pressure if you got an interview u are a hot commodity!

Anyone knows whether the committee has met recently? I am thinking whether I should send a thank you-note. Do you know, where should I send a thank you note and who should it be addressed to if I don't have the contact information of my interviewers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone knows whether the committee has met recently? I am thinking whether I should send a thank you-note. Do you know, where should I send a thank you note and who should it be addressed to if I don't have the contact information of my interviewers.

We were told mid-march. When did you interview?

You should be able to call the admissions office and they should be able to give you their names. I wouldn't do it just to try to increase your chances though...the interviewers made their recommendation right after you left the room so it won't really help. Always a nice thing to do though if you enjoyed your interview.

Not yet, but I know of one person that recently received an acceptance s/p delayed decision.

Ah well Glad to hear someone heard! Guess we all just have to be patient !

I just got an interview. Is this just for the waitlist now? :/

atrocious. 3.4/28

First, you're stats aren't atrocious. There actually on par with what the admissions committee likes to see (assuming you didn't do awful in one section and great in the other two). Yes, it gets way more competitive towards the end of the year but GPA and MCATs will only get you so far during the interview. Plenty of people get rejected with higher and accepted with lower.

Second, i'm sure delayed decisions and wait-lists are going out at this point, but I wouldn't assume your interview is for a wait list spot. Spots will open up April 15th when applicants who were accepted decide not to put in their deposit. Since you're interviewing before the 15th, there is definitely a chance you will interview for an actual spot, since the decision on your application won't be made til after that date. The committee just met this week so they won't be meeting again until after that time. That's when they'll make a lot of decisions on the final interviews and delayed decision people.

Good luck and congrats on the interview!

First, you're stats aren't atrocious. There actually on par with what the admissions committee likes to see (assuming you didn't do awful in one section and great in the other two). Yes, it gets way more competitive towards the end of the year but GPA and MCATs will only get you so far during the interview. Plenty of people get rejected with higher and accepted with lower.

Second, i'm sure delayed decisions and wait-lists are going out at this point, but I wouldn't assume your interview is for a wait list spot. Spots will open up April 15th when applicants who were accepted decide not to put in their deposit. Since you're interviewing before the 15th, there is definitely a chance you will interview for an actual spot, since the decision on your application won't be made til after that date. The committee just met this week so they won't be meeting again until after that time. That's when they'll make a lot of decisions on the final interviews and delayed decision people.

Good luck and congrats on the interview!

Ahh thanks! Philly resident wants to stay in Philly! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on the interview invite. When were you complete? I was complete in October and still haven't heard anything.

Oh jeez, like August/September sometime. I hardly remember now.

atrocious. 3.4/28

haven't been on here awhile but thought i'd peep on it to give some encouragement.
2.9 science and 3.11 cumulative, with a 25mcat (the THIRD time).

and hey, they let me in! so there's hope! good luck!!!:)

haven't been on here awhile but thought i'd peep on it to give some encouragement.
2.9 science and 3.11 cumulative, with a 25mcat (the THIRD time).

and hey, they let me in! so there's hope! good luck!!!:)

Wow , awesome! Did you have a killer PS/ECs? Congrats!

Wow , awesome! Did you have a killer PS/ECs? Congrats!

I wouldn't say I had a "killer" ps but I mean...what constitutes that anyway? I didn't save a town of Ethiopians nor did I discover the cure for ebola but I mean, I was just super honest about what drives my passion for medicine and how it correlated to my background in the theatre arts. To be fair, I DID have a few thousand volunteer hours and work and ecs and yada yada but mostly, my application was just very forward, open, and true :) good luck again! I really believe anyone can get there as long as they show not solely how much they deserve it per se, but how much potential you have as a personal impact in the medical AND immediate social community.

Is it safe to assume if no II yet, you're pretty much rejected? PCOM was a top choice of mine once I learned more about it :/

Ugh. I can't find the post in this thread about the interview advice/feedback/experience. Search powers not working. Anyone have any feedback on their experience?

Well, actually I do have a question afterall. Is it wise to carefully relate OMM to acupuncture? PCOM is big on OMM and acupuncture really helped (as far as I can tell) with my chronic pain. I want to emphasize OMM as a useful complement to traditional modalities...like acupuncture.

Well, actually I do have a question afterall. Is it wise to carefully relate OMM to acupuncture? PCOM is big on OMM and acupuncture really helped (as far as I can tell) with my chronic pain. I want to emphasize OMM as a useful complement to traditional modalities...like acupuncture.

You can say that they follow the same philosophies, if they do. I did that with OMM and Ayurveda (natural medicine in India.) While they are different, they both recognize that much of life cannot be studied objectively; they both treat the body as a whole entity; they both focus heavily on prevention. Personally, I think this is the direction in which medicine is going.

Last edited:
Soo anyone who has not received an interview by now should assume a rejection correct?

I got an II earlier this month, and I was complete in August.

Hey guys,

It's that time of year again. Anyone here applying to PCOM-Ga?

If so, let's post our stats to see how we measure up and get some insight on how to get accepted.

My gpa is 3.37 sgpa 3.33--Take MCAT in June

Volunteer work at Atlanta Children's Hospital and Atlanta Mission

President of University Club

Would love to hear how you guys are doing?

:eek:

Hey guys,

It's that time of year again. Anyone here applying to PCOM-Ga?

If so, let's post our stats to see how we measure up and get some insight on how to get accepted.

My gpa is 3.37 sgpa 3.33--Take MCAT in June

Volunteer work at Atlanta Children's Hospital and Atlanta Mission

President of University Club

Would love to hear how you guys are doing?

:eek:

Did you get moved? This thread is for PCOM, not PCOM-GA. They have a separate thread on here. Plus you are early (2013 cycle isn't over yet), and you are posting in the 2012-2013 cycle thread.

You might want to post in the Class of 2018 thread, where you'll get more responses from Class of 2018 people.

Any idea on how many seats are left? Any tips from students that were accepted this cycle?

Anyone know what the area around PCOM is like? is it safe? How is housing? Also where did people stay for their interviews?

There is a very nice Hilton Hotel right next to PCOM. You can walk over to Evans Hall from the hotel.

Hey guys,
Is the interview 2+ interviewers with one interviewee, or multiple interviewees?

We are moving to a house in East Falls--8-10 min drive to PCOM--in Mid-May (accommodates our schedule for my roommates' boards and first year exams).

We're looking for one more roommate.

The house is 3 bed, 2.5 bath, newer (1988) row home, with a driveway, cul de sac parking, and a huge backyard and driveway. The rent is 1800/mo, split 3 ways + utilities. The kitchens is new, the windows are new.

I'm one of the Military Guys at PCOM, and my roommate is going to be a 3rd year, so we're both motivated and clean up after ourselves. My dog helps with that, too.

Let me know if you're interested in learning more.

Hello,
I am starting at PCOM in the fall. I was wondering if any current students could let me know how popular East Falls and Manayunk are for students to live? During rush hour, is it still a short commute to the school? Also, is it easy to find house mates if you live in that area?
Thanks!

Anyone going to the brunch on Sunday? Assume casual dress? Did they acknowledge receipt of your reply to the invite?

Any delay of decisions hear back this month ?

Since interviews are apparently finished and deposits are due on the 15th, we should slowly start hearing back any day now.

Getting a delayed decision status isn't a good thing, but it's not a bad thing either, right? please correct me if I'm wrong.

Since interviews are apparently finished and deposits are due on the 15th, we should slowly start hearing back any day now.

Getting a delayed decision status isn't a good thing, but it's not a bad thing either, right? please correct me if I'm wrong.

Well I would assume it's at least better than a rejection...

Well I would assume it's at least better than a rejection...

Haha at this point, I would say anything is better than a rejection. We just have to hang tough for a little while longer. I did some searching on last years thread, a lot of applicants with a delayed of decision got waitlist around the deposit date. then about a week later a lot were accepted. Lets hope for the same pattern!

Soooo since PCOM is no longer interviewing than those who have not interviewed should assume a silent rejection correct?

Anyone going to the brunch on Sunday? Assume casual dress? Did they acknowledge receipt of your reply to the invite?

There is no formal dress code. When I went three years ago, it was a good mix of business casual and casual. They didn't acknowledge my reply, and I was still on the registration list, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Deferred Admission received today. Interviewed last week. We were told that we wouldn't hear anything until the 24th (but maybe a little sooner), didn't expect anything today. I think I interviewed for a waitlist spot, which is better than no interview at all. I think (and hope) I was sent this letter automatically, and that they didn't actually review me yet. I don't think their waitlist moves all that much, but at least I'm in the mix.

Do they do post-interview rejections? Is it Accepted/Deferred?

Postmarked 4/3, I live a few minutes away.

Last edited:
Deferred Admission received today. Interviewed last week. We were told that we wouldn't hear anything until the 24th (but maybe a little sooner), didn't expect anything today. I think I interviewed for a waitlist spot, which is better than no interview at all. I think (and hope) I was sent this letter automatically, and that they didn't actually review me yet. I don't think their waitlist moves all that much, but at least I'm in the mix.

Yes they do post-interview rejections. Good luck with the wait! Hopefully a bunch of spots open up after the 15th.

I hope so, but I don't know who would pass up the chance to go here :p

I'm waiting to hear back from a few more MD/DO schools, but I would drop it all for PCOM.

I'm surprised I even interviewed. I was literally the last person of the year to interview. My group was awesome too. If any of you guys are reading this, I really wish you all luck. After meeting you, I really have no idea what merit I had being there.

Last edited:

I received this as well today. :/