Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Its only been a month.
But there is still time for an interview. They interviewed well into March last year.

Members don't see this ad.

1) there is literally nowhere you're gonna get this information
2) PCOM has a very minimal final trimester at the end of 2nd year so that you can study for boards, as well as ~5 weeks of dedicated board study time, but things are changing apparently so that fact may be up in the air.
3) There are PCOM match lists available, just google it http://www.pcom.edu/Student_Life/Student_Affairs_Main/match_2014.html
4) you have a numerical grade for each class during the basic science years, and high pass, pass and low pass for clinicals. I would assume that there is a ranking system.
Dumb question, but how naked do girls have to get for OMM? Are we allowed to wear shirts or do we have to get down to our bras?

does anyone know if pcom offers microsoft office to its students?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dumb question, but how naked do girls have to get for OMM? Are we allowed to wear shirts or do we have to get down to our bras?

Girls wear sports bras, and guys are shirtless. But this doesn't mean you're always standing around with your shirt off 100% of the time. Only when OMM is being done on you in the thoracic/lumbar region. Honestly students keep their shirts on like 90% of the time.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know if this has happened to anyone else, but, for some reason, I received a second letter from PCOM that stated that I received a merit scholarship. I emailed the admissions committee inquiring about how scholarships were handled, after seeing that it was supposed to be in the original acceptance letter.

I am not posting this to brag, but this second letter says "...it is my pleasure to reiterate you have been selected to receive...". Nowhere on my original letter did it say that I got a scholarship, so it may be worth email PCOM and asking about this, as they clearly intended on giving me a merit scholarship but made a typo in the original letter. Hope this helps someone.

I know this is kind of stretch but would any current student (first or second year) be willing to let me "shadow" them for the day. I have been accepted but would really like to attend lecture/ talk with some current students/get a feel outside of interview mindset before submitting my deposit.

I know its nearing finals so I completely understand if no one is up for it! I was hoping to come in on Friday of this week (12/5). Feel free to message me, thanks!

Just sent in my acceptance! completed in July, interviewed in October, and got accepted 2 weeks after! And in a true underdog style I had a 3.05 undergrad gpa and 27 MCAT (did take 3 masters classes when I sent in my applications which I got A's in). I did have a strong research background and have been working full time for the past 2 years in the biotech industry. For all those still waiting... Don't lose hope!!

Reactions: 4 users
3.68 cGPA, 3.69 sGPA, 31 MCAT (10/11/10). 8 years of military service, 2 years of firefighter/EMT experience, publication, worked all the way through college, complete 8/17. No news from PCOM. I guess medical school admissions is far more competitive than I realized. I really thought I would get an interview :(

Reactions: 1 user
3.68 cGPA, 3.69 sGPA, 31 MCAT (10/11/10). 8 years of military service, 2 years of firefighter/EMT experience, publication, worked all the way through college, complete 8/17. No news from PCOM. I guess medical school admissions is far more competitive than I realized. I really thought I would get an interview :(
They interviewed through March last year. Don't lose hope quite yet!

Exactly! Plus, plenty of people will either decline their acceptances or just not pay the deposit on time and more spots will open up. Expect for more interview invites in early January, after the holidays and after the deadline for deposits. Keep the faith on this one, my friend, and hopefully I will see you at PCOM next fall!

Members don't see this ad :)
More competitive and higher applicant volume every year, but you're a very strong applicant, and if you've applied broadly- to DO and instate MD- I would be surprised if you didn't get an invite or two to interview. I know for a fact that PCOM does interview pretty late into the cycle, and if by the off chance you don't matriculate this year, don't throw in the towel.

I feel the same way. Worked 36 hours a week as a firefighter/paramedic all through my undergrad. On track to complete my entire Biology degree in three years. Volunteer firefighter/paramedic for almost 8 years. Station officer at my station and head of EMS operations for the entire department. No love from anywhere. I guess we still have a chance though.

Plenty of time. With your grades, I would be surprised if they don't interview you.
If you are from the North West, maybe they are holding that against you? (only basing that on your location status and that you've been accepted to Western University COMP).

You have already got one acceptance, which proves that you are a competitive applicant.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You have already got one acceptance, which approves that you are a competitive applicant.
Sorry if I came across as complaining, I know that a lot of folks haven't heard from any schools yet. I am very thankful for the acceptances I have received.

I am just expressing my disappointment in not hearing from PCOM (and a couple other MD schools), it is a great school and really thought I would get an interview here and elsewhere.

I am having the realization that everyone thinks they have a pretty good story and will be very competitive but the pool of applicants are all amazing and have good stories. This whole process is much more difficult than it comes across, psychologically, emotionally, and competitively.

Last edited:
Has anyone been having issues with the portal? Not sure how I feel about PCOM at the moment, I called last week to say that I was having some problems with accessing the portal from various computers in different places and pretty much got told off by the lady on the other end in a "you shouldn't be calling us" kind of voice.

I know how you feel. My LizzyM is ~68 and I have gotten interviews from every DO school I applied to except for PCOM. I am very grateful for what I have. It just goes to show that stats aren't everything and this process is much more random than we think. We shouldn't expect an interview anywhere.

Has anyone been having issues with the portal? Not sure how I feel about PCOM at the moment, I called last week to say that I was having some problems with accessing the portal from various computers in different places and pretty much got told off by the lady on the other end in a "you shouldn't be calling us" kind of voice.
I'm unable to access the portal, too.

Where/when are people looking for housing? Any suggestions on some locations I should be looking? I want to live close (walking distance perhaps) to the school!

Last edited:
Where/when are people looking for housing? Any suggestions on some locations I should be looking? I want to live close (walking distance perhaps) to the school!

I think we'll get the nucleus packet within a few weeks with living options.

I agree! It would be so convenient, there are some decent places near by

Someone give me some reasons why PCOM over drexel. and go

How is the secondary like for this school? I know i'm pretty late, but would it be worth sending my primary and completing the secondary with my stats and ECs? 3.94 sGPA, 3.95 cGPA, first MCAT = 32 (12/6/14) second MCAT = 36 (14/9/13), ~150 hours of clinical experience, 75 hours of shadowing an family medicine MD, 60 hours of observing out-patient surgeries (still on-going), about to begin a retrospective clinical research study, 2 semesters of being a lab TA.

Someone give me some reasons why PCOM over drexel. and go

Both are good schools. But pcom will make you a better clinician. There are a multitude of reasons for this but instead of filling your head with crap just go where you fit best. One of the reasons we train amazing clinicians is because we cater to a special type of student. Not trying to sound special, It's the truth. Talk and hang with students here, and then do the same elsewhere. You'll pick up on the subtleties which are predicive of clinical skills

And by we I of course mean pcom. Good luck with your decision, you can't go wrong

Reactions: 3 users
I asked the IT department and they're having issues with Chrome and Firefox. Sign on using internet explorer.

How is the secondary like for this school? I know i'm pretty late, but would it be worth sending my primary and completing the secondary with my stats and ECs? 3.94 sGPA, 3.95 cGPA, first MCAT = 32 (12/6/14) second MCAT = 36 (14/9/13), ~150 hours of clinical experience, 75 hours of shadowing an family medicine MD, 60 hours of observing out-patient surgeries (still on-going), about to begin a retrospective clinical research study, 2 semesters of being a lab TA.
Last year, I didn't complete my application until January 7th, but I still got an II from NYIT-COM. PCOM is one of the most competitive DO schools, however. If you don't care about the application fees, I would suggest you have a try.

For those of you who've already interviewed, which hotel did you stay at? I've tried searching in this thread but I didn't find much information about PCOM rates or recommended hotels.

For those of you who've already interviewed, which hotel did you stay at? I've tried searching in this thread but I didn't find much information about PCOM rates or recommended hotels.
There's a Hilton on the same block as PCOM. Just search in the vicinity of City Ave and grab a cab.

Last year, I didn't complete my application until January 7th, but I still got an II from NYIT-COM. PCOM is one of the most competitive DO schools, however. If you don't care about the application fees, I would suggest you have a try.

Thanks for your input! I will certainly apply and see how it goes! I've heard so many good things about this school and it's program, i was going to add it to my list (it actually was my list) but i realized i never submitted my primary to this school. Kind of frustrating but i have no one to blame but myself haha

They do not

Thanks for replying! Do you think its worth it to get the $80 subscription for four years? Or will my pages/keynote programs that come with my laptop be alright?

Thanks for replying! Do you think its worth it to get the $80 subscription for four years? Or will my pages/keynote programs that come with my laptop be alright?

That's up to you. I can tell you though that I bought the one time word/powerpoint/excel activation key at best buy for like 100 dollars (the one where you pay a one time fee to use office, not subscription based). I figure i'll be using office probably for a long time so I might as well pay the one time fee. If you're against paying that much, I've heard of people using the pirated copies.

8000 applications, over 5000 complete applications, about 700 interview slots for 268 spots with a wait list and we wonder why we don't get an invitation to interview. Heavy emphasis on PA residents, legacy people, solid GPA and MCAT scores. My friend heard this at her interview last week from the student giving the tour. I can only say again, it is a real crap shoot.

Reactions: 2 users
I will be withdrawing soon good luck everyone <3

I have a few questions that I wanted to know before making a decision:
1) What is the average step 1/COMLEX score (not pass % rate)
2) What is done for board preperation? Is there a formal class and when/how much time are students given time off to study
3) How many students do DO vs MD match and how many match into each?
4) Is there a rank between each class and are classes P/F?

If anyone can answer some (or all ) of these questions that would be very helpful. I know that some of these questions have been mentioned on interview day/ prior posts but I can't seem to find them!
(tagging @PaddysPub since I know you are a current student)

1) From what I hear it is below average, but they don't release it. Being said, I heard someone last year got >775. The classes don't do anything to prepare you (I got >90 on our Cardio exam, then took a cardio board section and got a 35%). So you need to prepare during systems if you want to do well. I imagine most people pass because Comlex is really easy.

2) They make you take 20 questions from Combank every week, which is the easiest qbank. Most of us got 95-100% on them. No "formal" class, but they'll probably claim this sad excuse for prep as "a board prep class". They do bring in outside lecturers to talk to us, but nothing specific. They won't tell us how much study time we have, but we're assuming its none. Usually they make 3rd term really easy with Surgery, Emergency, and Life Stages. They moved Surgery to the Fall to make Spring even easier. They didn't plan it properly and ended up pushing Neuroanatomy (hardest course) 1-2 weeks further into the Spring. We only know that because that course is technically Term 2, even though we won't finish until March. They refuse to tell us any information; we assume they ****ed up and they don't want us to complain. We've been asking since February of last year.

3. I really don't know, and no one knows how it'll matter with the merger.

4. All classes are given a numeric grade. They changed the easy P/F courses to graded as well, which sucks because those are only 1 exam and 50-60 questions. Each question = 1-2% on your transcript. They told us we weren't ranked during orientation and during first year, but then sent an eMail in the fall saying they report the class average, standard deviation, and your average and grades to programs. Class average was like, an 84 and SD was about 5 points.

Do you mind sharing your stats?
Sure 3.7 SGPA 25 MCAT 10BS 9PS 6VR. Latin American female. Research experience and years of medical exposure. I also did an internship with an osteopathic physician (that helped a lot).

Good luck everyone. :)

Sure 3.7 SGPA 25 MCAT 10BS 9PS 6VR. Latin American female. Research experience and years of medical exposure. I also did an internship with an osteopathic physician (that helped a lot).

Do you mind sharing your complete date?

I know a lot of PCOM alumni/current students. When I asked them the same question most of them recommended Manayunk. My brother in law also lived there and he loved it. Not really walking distance, but still close.

It turns out to be that MCAT and GPA don't mean everything... Because my GPA is 3.82 and MCAT is 29. However, no II as of now. I am so jealous. I hope you will succeed in your interview.