Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got an invited for next month!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
omg guys. I applied 9/24. I'm getting nervous haha. I still haven't heard back from them. I have been to the open house here, and I absolutely LOVED it. Def a top priority school for me. For whoever heard back, how long does it take to hear back after your file is complete? Do you get a phone call, snail mail or email? My MCAT showed up as the MCAT that I took last year, but when i called them, they said that they have my updated MCAT score, but it shows the last year's MCAT score on the application summary. Anyone else has a problem like this?

Do you guys have your scores displayed? because I only see this

MCAT ScoresJul 21, 2014TEST DATE: 2014-01-01 00:00:00.0

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys have your scores displayed? because I only see this

MCAT ScoresJul 21, 2014TEST DATE: 2014-01-01 00:00:00.0
The scores will not show just a date. I called and they said only the date is needed to help to complete the application and only one score, usually the oldest will show. I had three that I sent to AACOMAS

Amazing experience interviewing here. Lots of student face time with people who made clear had no impact on decisions, so we felt comfortable asking any questions. Met tons of students offering advice and answering questions as well. Tour was nice - unlike a few other DO schools, the campus is that - a true campus, not an isolated building. Very nice area. Gorgeous and nicely decorated buildings. Nice facilities. Particularly impressed by the gym, something I'm personally into.

Interview itself is with 3. Can be student, professor or clinician in the group. Mostly questions were specific to you and your application. Conversational, in that there would be follow up questions to anything you said. Interview truly flows - some interviews feel like a series of questions. This interview felt like an exchange. I was able to direct the conversation , and thus the interview had a theme of my choosing. Every interview can be different. My advice is to take advantage of this and truly be yourself but also express yourself and who you are as a prospective medical student and future physician in your answers

Amazing experience. Great school. Good luck.

Decisions surprise you in 4-6 weeks in the mail. No electronic feedback.

I was wondering how long the day was. I am trying to decide if I will be able to make it back for classes the next day!

Thank you!

I was wondering how long the day was. I am trying to decide if I will be able to make it back for classes the next day!

Thank you!

Should expect to set aside 4 hours @ PCOM.

in actuality since the interviews are 1 on 1 it could be less if you are picked first, but I happened to be last so I was there from 12:00 - 4:00

For those who got II's, when was your entire secondary completed?

awesome! when were you complete? and stats?

My stats are pretty pathetic. 3.14/26( 8/10/8)
but
I have great ECs, i.e, clinical shadowing, CNA training, DO Rec, and I am in the process of publishing a journal article. I'm also enrolled in a SMP.
I submitted my secondary august 15th. I interviewed last year as well but didn't get in.

Has anybody who interviewed at PCOM already this cycle gotten any information about the number of applicants for this cycle? I was not complete until around 2 weeks ago, so I can understand that they have a lot of applications to go through. I already received an II from VCOM, despite their interviews supposedly being later for non Early Decision applicants, but I really want to hear from PCOM. Is there an approximate amount of time between being complete and being offered an interview (a noobish question, I know)?

Has anybody who interviewed at PCOM already this cycle gotten any information about the number of applicants for this cycle? I was not complete until around 2 weeks ago, so I can understand that they have a lot of applications to go through. I already received an II from VCOM, despite their interviews supposedly being later for non Early Decision applicants, but I really want to hear from PCOM. Is there an approximate amount of time between being complete and being offered an interview (a noobish question, I know)?
How long did it take to get an II after being complete from VCOM

3.66 cGPA, 3.69 sGPA, 31 MCAT (10/11/10), complete 8/15 and I still have not heard from PCOM. I am a little concerned :(

3.88 gpa, 29 mcat, complete 8/1 - I still haven't heard anything either. :(

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anytime between now and the end of the process, that is all they will say

Yeah, I know that stats do not mean much to Osteopathic schools, so my grades and MCAT won't put me at any advantage for getting the admissions process moving. I just was hoping that PCOM would be as quick as VCOM was. It would be nice to be able to make decisions by Thanksgiving :) Too much to ask for, I suppose haha

How long after all your materials were received did you guys get the complete email? All mine, based on my online summary, have been in by september 2nd. I emailed them and they gave me a BS response saying it should about 15 business days... It's been almost a month...

omg guys. I applied 9/24. I'm getting nervous haha. I still haven't heard back from them. I have been to the open house here, and I absolutely LOVED it. Def a top priority school for me. For whoever heard back, how long does it take to hear back after your file is complete? Do you get a phone call, snail mail or email? My MCAT showed up as the MCAT that I took last year, but when i called them, they said that they have my updated MCAT score, but it shows the last year's MCAT score on the application summary. Anyone else has a problem like this?

You submitted your app a week ago.... No need to be concerned yet. Did you send in the fee as well? They said it takes approx 15 business days for everything to be processed once they've received it all.

Yeah, I know that stats do not mean much to Osteopathic schools, so my grades and MCAT won't put me at any advantage for getting the admissions process moving. I just was hoping that PCOM would be as quick as VCOM was. It would be nice to be able to make decisions by Thanksgiving :) Too much to ask for, I suppose haha
It appears that stats mean a lot everywhere. My stats aren't great but I have had to work 36 hours as a firefighter/paramedic during my entire undergrad (which I will have completed in 3 years when I graduate in May) addition to being a fire officer and head of ems operations for a large/busy volunteer fire department with a myriad of other extracurricular and volunteer pursuits. I have a applied to 25 schools, 10 of which are osteopathic. I have received 7 rejections and have not heard a peep from the other 18. I am trying to remain hopeful but it's getting harder every day. Sorry,this is my first time venting on here. I wish you and everyone the best of luck. If I don't succeed this year I will certainly try again next year.

Reactions: 1 user
It can take 15 days to process materials, which is what they say on all the information, but for the committee to review, make a decision, offer an interview it can be now until eternity, or the end of the cycle. It is all a crap shoot I think unless you know someone, live in PA, have amazing numbers etc. They usually get around 5000 complete applications so I can not imagine how much work it is to whittle down the numbers to offer only 600 interviews at pcom

They usually get around 5000 complete applications so I can not imagine how much work it is to whittle down the numbers to offer only 600 interviews at pcom

Closer to 10k applications, brah.

Do they really offer only 600 interviews? That's selective. Good news is if you get an interview you have a pretty solid shot! I hear they accept about 400

WHAT? Already ? When did you interview?

@ah24m I would assume so since we were the second or third session. fingers crossed we get our letters Monday!

I was surprised to get the letter so early, because at the interview, they told us 5 weeks and it hasn't even been a month! But I'm thrilled! FYI letter comes in normal envelope, so don't freak out if you get a normal sized letter!

Reactions: 4 users
Congratulations @reapplicanthelpme2014 !! I was informed that the committee meets every three weeks during my interview. Hopefully they reviewed my file as well and I would get the letter on Monday too

Wow that was fast, congrats @reapplicanthelpme2014 ! Hopefully the rest of us won't have to wait the entire 4-6 week turn around time either. Really hoping I get the acceptance too, PCOM is my numero UNO...when did you guys and gals all interview and where are you from?

Accepted !!! Interviewed 9/24!!! Quick turnaround wow speechless medicine doctors philadelphia idk what I'm saying bye

Reactions: 8 users
I want an interview here! It's right in my back yard. I guess no news is better than bad news though...

Accepted !!! Interviewed 9/24!!! Quick turnaround wow speechless medicine doctors philadelphia idk what I'm saying bye
Ughhhhh, I'm working until 11 and hadn't gotten any mail before I went in. The anticipation is killing me. Congrats!

Ughhhhh, I'm working until 11 and hadn't gotten any mail before I went in. The anticipation is killing me. Congrats!
What's your address? Maybe one of us lives nearby and can go check your mailbox.

Does PCOM send you an email saying they recieved your secondary application? I submitted my secondary a little over a week ago, and I haven't heard anything. I am not asking about a complete file email, just an acknowledgement of recieving the electronic secondary. I am starting to worry it didnt go through.

Does PCOM send you an email saying they recieved your secondary application? I submitted my secondary a little over a week ago, and I haven't heard anything. I am not asking about a complete file email, just an acknowledgement of recieving the electronic secondary. I am starting to worry it didnt go through.
You'll receive an email with information on how to access your supplemental application checklist once they've uploaded your secondary. It may take a bit of time due to their current applicant volume.. Busy season.

Accepted!! I really loved this school on interview day!

Last edited:
Ahhhhhhhhhhh I'm going to be a doctor!!!

Accepted!!!!!!

I can't believe all this work has finally payed off. I teared up as soon as I felt how thick the envelope was.

Reactions: 10 users
Ahhhhhhhhhhh I'm going to be a doctor!!!

Accepted!!!!!!

I can't believe all this work has finally payed off. I teared up as soon as I felt how thick the envelope was.

CONGRATS!!!! CharmanderDO ;)