Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey for those of you who submitted individual LORs via AACOMAS instead of a committee letter, does your portal show the individual LORs? My "committee letter" box has a date received although I submitted individual LORs instead of a committee letter.
It is just easier for them, if you have three letters meeting requirement from the same school they will just note the school, less work for them and completes the file.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got an interview here for 10/25, super excited and nervous!!!! For those who interviewed here already, what was your experience like? Currently going through last years thread for some insight!
Thanks in advance!

Can you also share your stats? And do you have a doctor LOR?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone I'm planning on applying in the upcoming cycle in June/July but PCOM is definitely one of my top choices and I wish everybody the best of luck this cycle.

Did everyone have to wait WAYYY past 15 days for their stuff to be verified? I've had to wait about 20 days since my last reference letter was sent in and it hasn't shown up. I've emailed them but they just say it can take longer.... Is this normal? Should I call them or just keep waiting. And at what point should I contact again assuming it still doesn't show up

I know the 20 days itself isn't long, but I had to wait over 2 months for my secondary to post, and I don't know if that was usual and if I'm going to have to wait that long for a reference letter to post as well... Should I just wait or keep trying to contact them?

Reactions: 1 users
Can you also share your stats? And do you have a doctor LOR?

hey sure, 3.4sGPA, 26 MCAT, I have 3 physician letters - 2 DO's, 1 MD. I also have a lot clinical hours as a scribe/interpreter and did a lot of work with dementia care patients before that

hey sure, 3.4sGPA, 26 MCAT, I have 3 physician letters - 2 DO's, 1 MD. I also have a lot clinical hours as a scribe/interpreter and did a lot of work with dementia care patients before that
wow congrats! IS or OOS?

Any IS applicants not hear anything yet? I was complete in August and I have decent stats, but I haven't heard a peep :(

OOS with parent who is alumn above average stats (for PCOM) complete since July heard nothing.

lol honestly idk what the f they're doing over there it's starting to really frustrate me. I see everyone complaining and no offense (not trying to take it out on you guys) but if anyone should be more annoyed about not even getting a courtesy interview because of my parent it should be me. I'm not borderline stats I have the Ecs I have a good mcat decent gpa and have two interviews from md schools and haven't heard a peep and it's really annoying me

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think its up to you to "tolerate excuses". Just relax. Being snippy about it isn't going to make the ii come any sooner.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't think its up to you to "tolerate excuses". Just relax. Being snippy about it isn't going to make the ii come any sooner.
I'm not being snippy at you. I'm merely blowing off steam. Most schools say give it 3 months for them to review your app at most. It's been long enough. If they sent out complete emails or would allow you to call their office it would be helpful. Plenty of schools get north of 10,000 apps and are happy to help if you call.

I'm not being snippy at you. I'm merely blowing off steam. Most schools say give it 3 months for them to review your app at most. It's been long enough. If they sent out complete emails or would allow you to call their office it would be helpful. Plenty of schools get north of 10,000 apps and are happy to help if you call.

I know your not directing it at us, but just try to relax and take it in stride. Some PCOM students said they were applied as early as possible and didn't get ii till December.

Right but there's always that one person who got lucky at the end of the cycle. That doesn't mean that's the gold standard for everyone who applied early...

I agree, it's very frustrating. They say they have rolling admissions but it's very clear that they pick and choose which applications they look at and which they ignore for months.

But like everyone else is saying, there's nothing we can do. I got an interview recently from a school I thought literally lost my application because it had been so long since I submitted. Just hold tight, I promise it'll work out!

It's been 5 weeks since I submitted my secondary. Letters were included in my AACOMAS application as well as forwarded again via Interfolio. I am a fee waiver applicant and e-mailed them before submitting my secondary.

The portal still shows my letters (a committee letter) and fee payment missing. I e-mailed them twice spaced several weeks apart and have heard nothing. If they won't verify your materials who will I know if it's just a 5 week backlog or if things are missing?

It's been 5 weeks since I submitted my secondary. Letters were included in my AACOMAS application as well as forwarded again via Interfolio. I am a fee waiver applicant and e-mailed them before submitting my secondary.

The portal still shows my letters (a committee letter) and fee payment missing. I e-mailed them twice spaced several weeks apart and have heard nothing. If they won't verify your materials who will I know if it's just a 5 week backlog or if things are missing?
Call them. Volume is generally high this time of year, but the people in admissions are helpful.

I was in a very similar situation. Had my letters uploaded to AACOMAS back in late Aug, emailed/called PCOM (GA and PA) around late Sept when they hadn't been uploaded. They told me to keep holding, so I did. I waited another 2ish weeks. Then I called a few days ago and luckily whoever I spoke with (at both the GA and PA campuses) was incredibly helpful! The second I hung up the phone I saw that my committee letter was finally uploaded to the portal on both campuses. I wish this had been done waaay earlier though- now I'm complete as of 10/15 when I could've been complete at least a month ago -_-

I was in a very similar situation. Had my letters uploaded to AACOMAS back in late Aug, emailed/called PCOM (GA and PA) around late Sept when they hadn't been uploaded. They told me to keep holding, so I did. I waited another 2ish weeks. Then I called a few days ago and luckily whoever I spoke with (at both the GA and PA campuses) was incredibly helpful! The second I hung up the phone I saw that my committee letter was finally uploaded to the portal on both campuses. I wish this had been done waaay earlier though- now I'm complete as of 10/15 when I could've been complete at least a month ago -_-

I actually have a question about this. Same exact thing happened to me- I had my letters uploaded in July but it never showed up on my portal and after about 2 phonecalls it was uploaded in late September. So is that my complete date now? Even though my MCAT and everything was complete in July?

I actually have a question about this. Same exact thing happened to me- I had my letters uploaded in July but it never showed up on my portal and after about 2 phonecalls it was uploaded in late September. So is that my complete date now? Even though my MCAT and everything was complete in July?
I'm no expert but that's what I'd assume. My suspicion is that they don't consider your file complete until ALL parts of it are in- LORs, MCAT, secondary, etc. So the date of submission (or rather, reception?) of that last piece of the puzzle is your complete date... I think.

I'm no expert but that's what I'd assume. My suspicion is that they don't consider your file complete until ALL parts of it are in- LORs, MCAT, secondary, etc. So the date of submission (or rather, reception?) of that last piece of the puzzle is your complete date... I think.
That makes sense! Thanks!

Accepted today

Reactions: 6 users
congrats! thats awesome!! what was your turn around time like?

Submitted 7/7, Complete 7/30, II 9/11, interviewed 10/1, acceptance letter postmarked 10/16.

I'm surprised I heard so early. They told us it would be about 5 weeks after the interview.

Does anyone know what they are looking for on the 2015 MCAT? Score wise?

Accepted!! Interview 10/6. Absolutely thrilled!

Congrats to everyone who got accepted today! That's huge! And the turnaround time is amazing! Is this anyone's top choice?

I haven't heard back and I've been complete since beginning of August...lol

Tbh, I think most schools, MD and DO, haven't reviewed applications in August yet. At least the ones I've applied to.

There are people who applied later than me who already got accepted...so I believe they already reviewed my application.

Technically, I was complete in July 30th, but didn't get the email until August 7th about my supplemental being received. I'm also from the area (not PA, but NJ.)

There are people who applied later than me who already got accepted...so I believe they already reviewed my application.

Technically, I was complete in July 30th, but didn't get the email until August 7th about my supplemental being received. I'm also from the area (not PA, but NJ.)
Same here basically

Try having a parent who's an alum without an interview yet it's like a crap shoot

What's going on at adcom then?

They were out late the entire summer drinking too much kool aid

Also possible that the rejection letters are in the mail and you just haven't received them.

Has anybody from NJ gotten an interview or acceptance yet?

I called today and the lady basically said to e-mail them again. Here's hoping they answer :/